Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

babypolis posted:

wait hes offering freedom AND security? they say you cant have it all but dang it mayor pete sure is proving em wrong

what, me worry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The dunking continues on poor Mayor Pete

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump is posting wizard.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

its my fault, really. I was excited about the guy until he started doing actual policy proposals.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

bollig posted:

its my fault, really. I was excited about the guy until he started doing actual policy proposals.

i wanna step back in time to slap five-months'-ago-haircut-me for the buttigieg barber chatter coming out of my mouth

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So there's this linguist by the name of George Lakoff and one of the things he studies (and is 100% right about imo) is political speech (framing arguments using Moral Foundations Theory and such). His main thing is that Democrats need to speak about values, that nobody gives a poo poo about policy. And when I heard Mayor Pete speaking I was like 'drat he gets it'. And then I read an article that was like 'well he's been corresponding with Lakoff since like 2004'. Aha okay.

Another anecdote was that I listened to some interviews and I was like 'Yeah this is like listening to Obama in 06 07'. I followed that up by saying 'I don't really mean that as a compliment'.

Don't get me wrong, I think a good way to create policy is to have values and then create specifics from them. But I don't think you can hype yourself as a progressive and then hem and haw about free college.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

how long do yall think mayor pete has been running for president. i would guess since he was 10 years old

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

THS posted:

how long do yall think mayor pete has been running for president. i would guess since he was 10 years old

trick question its already been determined he was grown out of a vat and genetically engineered to cut entitlement spending

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

THS posted:

Ever since he saw his first episode of The West Wing.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Mayor Pete is Tracy Flick, prove me wrong

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's only been two days since trump conclusively ended the presidential ambitions of mayor pete buttgag, and i feel fine

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Pete buttgag

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

let them fight, ect ect

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1127934501378772998

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
click link if you want to die: https://www.facebook.com/groups/304790523556307/

animist
Aug 28, 2018
https://peteforamerica.com/issues/#NationalService

ol' petey wants to bring back the draft

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

I personally support a National Service requirement. It's one of the things that attracted me to him (not in a gay way).

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

gently caress that was painful

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mayor pete's town hall is on and it is booooooring

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
has anyone said buttmentum yet?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
mary pete

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://archive.is/Tz45f#selection-623.0-623.9

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hahahahahaha

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this article owns, of course it was retracted

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i honestly don't know how to relate with gay people who don't firmly loathe the kind of waspy vat grown weirdo that pete buttigieg is. the man is the avatar of everything wrong with rich white gays assimilating into political and business power in 2019

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Waters likes pete

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love john waters but he seems really apolitical and just really wants to have a gay president, but i guess thats just what happens when you are rich and white.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
weird because Pete is exactly the kind of upper class square gay guy that Waters makes fun of from time to time

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the only people in the arts who have good politics are boots riley and danny devito

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Killjoy posted:

weird because Pete is exactly the kind of upper class square gay guy that Waters makes fun of from time to time
https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/john-waters-in-conversation.html

quote:

Is there a Democratic primary candidate you support?
Here’s what I think: [Trump] is gonna win again, because I say it myself and they all go “Ahhh!” when I say that. And I say, “Who are you gonna vote for?” Silence. There are 40 characters that are going to divide it all up. You know, the gay one I like. I’d vote for any of them, even though it would be really hard for me to vote for Elizabeth Warren who has never once said a funny thing in her entire life.

She is the best one, I would argue.
I think she will lose. Any of the ones that have already been out there will lose, big time. And any of the ones that try to be super left wing will really lose, too. And all the other ones just haven’t been around. I don’t know. I’m very much against Kamala [Harris] because she is a prisoner’s enemy. She made it so that you couldn’t get parole for ten years instead of five in California. She did a lot of things that are against prisoners’ rights, so I’m definitely against her. What’s the one, Mayor Pete? Is he the gay one?

Buttigieg, yeah.
To me it better be somebody young and somebody new. Who knows! It’s a civil war, and I believe that it could be decided by one vote. It’s split right down the middle. It’s just exhausting to me.
But I get why they like [Trump], because he infuriates us. And it’s everything he said he was gonna do. So he’s not lying to them. We were just too stupid and sat home and didn’t vote. Because the Democrats — so that’s what you get.

you hate to see it

e: though hes right about warren lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this guy who is barely cognizant about politics has better instincts than most cspam posters

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol Will from Chapo's dad gets loving roasted in that

quote:

He asked how I could hate the New Yorker and I told him that besides the fact that the New Yorker published lovely fiction (plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose), and the only gay fiction it published was assimilationist and boring, there was also the fact that an editor there (Dan Menaker, if we’re naming names) had rejected a story of mine by suggesting in his correspondence with my agent (by which I mean that he wasn’t embarrassed to write this down, let alone worried about repercussions) that psychological problems were preventing me from creating effective fiction. (By the way, gently caress you, Dan.)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol Will from Chapo's dad gets loving roasted in that

i was wondering about that, is it really wills dad?

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

babypolis posted:

yes lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

babypolis posted:

yup

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

From the pages of the New Yorker itself

quote:

Menaker was an assistant editor at Liveright, an imprint of W. W. Norton. (His father, Daniel Menaker, is a former executive editor-in-chief of Random House, and was also a fiction editor at The New Yorker for twenty years.) He is slight and bearded, the unofficial dad of the trio.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/what-will-become-of-the-dirtbag-left

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lmkao theres nothing slight about will anymore

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
in conclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012