Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone was talking about parallels with FF6 Doma and Stormblood Doma but it should be noted that post Stormblood: Gosetsu, and Yotsuyu, end up stranded on a desert island with only fish to eat.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mulva posted:

Except of course He influenced every single part of the process that did it. The Allagan Empire, the summoning of Primals, the magitech of *his* empire, all of that is the work of the Ascians. Not people alone. They were able to use those disparate parts and a couple of centuries of work and really lock down time travel, but they didn't do it without Ascian 'help'.
Sure, but he isn't hooked into every step of development on his own, and never seriously entertained the prospect of them taking it further on their own beyond the scope of what'd been done before. This would probably play into the stem of one dispute that led to Hydaelyn, i.e. Amaurotines being the foundation for future generations to build upon rather than being the only custodians worthy enough for creation and control.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hogama posted:

Sure, but he isn't hooked into every step of development on his own, and never seriously entertained the prospect of them taking it further on their own beyond the scope of what'd been done before. This would probably play into the stem of one dispute that led to Hydaelyn, i.e. Amaurotines being the foundation for future generations to build upon rather than being the only custodians worthy enough for creation and control.
Yeah, on this broad topic: The Ascians seem to reliably not see non-Ascians as being able to do anything other than, at best, competently use the machinery and technology they provide. This is of course completely wrong, and it isn't even some kind of unique "oh, the Source!" thing - we facilitate the entire Talos plan but I don't think we provide anything that the citizens of the First could not. Urianger and Y'shtola are able to do big magic pumps, maybe?

Also, did the Allagans actually build the Crystal Tower or did they just... FIND it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rhonne posted:

Early on I thought that the ending of the game would involve dumping all of the First's excess Light into the Void and just seeing what happens

The moment Emet talked about how being in Lightwarden areas weakened him I knew all that Light we were taking in would play a part in the inevitable fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

The moment Emet talked about how being in Lightwarden areas weakened him I knew all that Light we were taking in would play a part in the inevitable fight.

I twigged to it the moment Emet said "Actually, go right ahead and kill all the Lightwardens! I'll help!" I kinda wanted a dialogue option to immediately turn to the Scions and Exarch and go "Y'know, an Ascian wants us to do this. Therefore, shouldn't we give serious thought to not doing this?"

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

CYBEReris posted:

you really think provoking a war between voidsent and sin eaters won't have a massive, calamitous effect on the peoples of the first as both sides try to swell their numbers?

You've convinced me that we should have totally set off the equivalent of the Blood War. Hasn't worked out poorly for anyone before, no sir.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hogama posted:

And this is totally true, and sort of the point of Tomorrow and Tomorrow. The Amaurotines aren't gone. Their achievements are the basis of everything the various reflections aspire to. And their souls, even if fractured, are still out there. Life continues. It seems very much like it's being sung to the Ascians, a wish that they'd learn to let go and move on and appreciate the world around them. And it seems like Emet, possibly alone out of all of them, really did try his best. He just....couldn't. Like you can see a world where maybe everyone didn't betray Solus, and his son didn't die, and maybe the Garlean Empire doesn't turn into magic Nazis. History didn't go down that way though, and instead we have another group of people he wrote off and turned into a weapon for chaos.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I twigged to it the moment Emet said "Actually, go right ahead and kill all the Lightwardens! I'll help!" I kinda wanted a dialogue option to immediately turn to the Scions and Exarch and go "Y'know, an Ascian wants us to do this. Therefore, shouldn't we give serious thought to not doing this?"
The scions do discuss amongst each other a bit after Emet first shows up whether they should continue with their plans, basically because of what you said. It's in the end decided that the Lightwardens and the Sin Eaters are a big enough problem that there is no time for further discussion, and they should be stopped now, regardless of whether one of their greatest enemies seems to be perfectly fine with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MAN the end of ARR is good. Did they change all the VA in Heavensward?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

MAN the end of ARR is good. Did they change all the VA in Heavensward?

Pretty much. Some out of necessity (yugiri's English VA was a victim in a double murder suicide).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Considering they switched countries entirely I'm pretty sure they would've all changed regardless. E: Although now I that look it up it was the British actress that was murdered so I guess it did change twice.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 13, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Woah what the gently caress

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It was really sad, and I think it's a lot of why Yugiri sort of disappears for Heavensward even if, reasonably speaking, she would probably get in touch with you and do some of the stuff that Tataru ends up doing instead.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sian_Blake

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I've been experimenting with AST for the last day or so and I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand I actually kind of like the card changes, although it's been an interesting experience having to remind myself that every card is damage and im not 100% sure where most of the card complexity comes into play. presumably most of the card complexity now is "do i redraw for a seal i dont have yet or just Minor Arcana"

i do think i kind of like it though

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So, where do I go to learn if and how materia priority changed for classes in ShB? I play Samurai and the tanks, but I like to read up on most of the classes when I have time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

I've been experimenting with AST for the last day or so and I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand I actually kind of like the card changes, although it's been an interesting experience having to remind myself that every card is damage and im not 100% sure where most of the card complexity comes into play. presumably most of the card complexity now is "do i redraw for a seal i dont have yet or just Minor Arcana"

i do think i kind of like it though

Complexity is going to come into play by maximising your card output for trick attack and burst windows and lining up your cards to match others' personal cooldown or burst hits.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Complexity is going to come into play by maximising your card output for trick attack and burst windows and lining up your cards to match others' personal cooldown or burst hits.

Yeah, I haven't gotten there yet but it'll probably be a combo of timing when you blow Divination and Sleeve Draw to line up best to give DPS boosts. Being able to draw a gently caress ton of cards with sleeve draw will be nice for openers and getting early fight divination going. I've used it once or twice but haven't done any EX content yet so it's not be critical, but I'm sure I will be one my static starts on stuff in a few weeks.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Rhonne posted:

Early on I thought that the ending of the game would involve dumping all of the First's excess Light into the Void and just seeing what happens

I think it would've been interesting if there had been at least one quest that examined the question of "what happens if we yanked a fairly strong voidsent over here?". Unlike lightwardens, voidsent seem more capable of actual thought, so you could probably strike a deal with one to come get a free meal and then leave. Opening a straight up Xande style portal would cause problems though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shadowbringers stuff that's only a spoiler if you've not finished the first dungeon: Even though I finished the expansion a while ago I still love the way you bring the night sky back after killing a lightwarden.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Speaking of materias, should I slot the low level ones I get from reducing my levelling gear or should I save them for future use?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

(Stormblood - 4.2) So you mean to tell me that Yotsuyu and Gosetsu AND Zenos all somehow survived, yet my good friend Haurchefant remains dead?? Where's the justice THERE?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

trying to get in a clear of titania and i'm going to lose my god drat mind about how PF parties cannot understand "stand around this marker to indicate what direction you want for mechanics"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

escape mechanism posted:

Speaking of materias, should I slot the low level ones I get from reducing my levelling gear or should I save them for future use?

Anything below grade VII can be safely slotted, as it has a 100% chance for removal. Might require DoH levels? Not sure. Either way, it's eventually recoverable. I'd save grades VII and VIII for the Tomestone/raid gear we're getting in a couple weeks.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

trying to get in a clear of titania and i'm going to lose my god drat mind about how PF parties cannot understand "stand around this marker to indicate what direction you want for mechanics"

One of the things I love about innocence is that the whole fight can be done without markers. It’s so much comfier to farm than Titania.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Innocence EX is kind of disappointing, I was expecting a somewhat intense fight but I cleared it my first pull with a pug group without so much as looking at a video. Titania is more fun though 90% of that is that people seem to have their heads fall off around teathers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Innocence is very much a fight where what you see is what you get. You can see every mechanic and react to it appropriately. Titania is a fight where you learn where to stand and move, and if you don't move there, you die.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ImpAtom posted:

Innocence EX is kind of disappointing, I was expecting a somewhat intense fight but I cleared it my first pull with a pug group without so much as looking at a video. Titania is more fun though 90% of that is that people seem to have their heads fall off around teathers.

Now do innocence on BLM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hades extreme in 5.1 is gonna loving rule I bet

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

When's the raid?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's unfortunate that i really like the titania ex fight because god people are so bad at it. i'm doing all the mechanics right and maintaining 10k~ dps the whole fight but all the parties i join keep consistently dying at best to big add knockback, because identifying one of two spots to stand is really complicated apparently

this is if they don't gently caress up the tether, granted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

Now do innocence on BLM

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Shy posted:

When's the raid?
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/2e6130e951018de775d49745a50af1a9a70cfa65
Eden should start next week with 5.01. Eden (Savage) won't be until 5.05. (Just going by the patterns established by the past two expansions, here.)
There may be a few quick skill tweaks with 5.01, but they usually save the bigger initial adjustment for x.05.
5.1 should be the start of the Nier raid series.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
What are non-savage raids like in this game? 24 people?

Is this something that a casual person like me can queue up for or do you normally go in with pre-formed groups?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually like Innocence more than Titania, but a lot of that is probably it taking me like five days to get a clear on the latter. Just wish I could get something meaningful from it now that I have all the accessories.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Is this something that a casual person like me can queue up for or do you normally go in with pre-formed groups?

8. There's a queue, they aren't hard.
[e: forgot about 24 man raids!]

Hogama posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/2e6130e951018de775d49745a50af1a9a70cfa65
Eden should start next week with 5.01. Eden (Savage) won't be until 5.05. (Just going by the patterns established by the past two expansions, here.)
There may be a few quick skill tweaks with 5.01, but they usually save the bigger initial adjustment for x.05.
5.1 should be the start of the Nier raid series.

thanks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

There are two kinds:

There is the 8-man raid series which are basically similar to the Primal/Trial fights but usually a little more involved (though the last series was just basically slightly harder trial fights) and 24-man which involve three groups. Both can be queued for normally without any trouble.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mikeraskol posted:

There are two types of raids: normal raids and alliance raids. Normal raids are 8 people (2 tanks, 2 healers, 4 DPS) and have savage versions, which are generally the hardest content in the game outside of Ultimate, which are old content revisited and made harder. You can generally do normal, non-savage raids with pugs, despite the grousing of the thread.

Alliance raids are 24-man content in 3 parties of 8 (1 tank, 2 healers, 5 DPS), and can also be done with pugs unless you get a poo poo-rear end group on one of the harder ones (so many wipes to Hashmal...)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Arist posted:

There are two types of raids: normal raids and alliance raids. Normal raids are 8 people (2 tanks, 2 healers, 4 DPS) and have savage versions, which are generally the hardest content in the game outside of Ultimate, which are old content revisited and made harder. You can generally do normal, non-savage raids with pugs, despite the grousing of the thread.

Alliance raids are 24-man content in 3 parties of 8 (1 tank, 2 healers, 5 DPS), and can also be done with pugs unless you get a poo poo-rear end group on one of the harder ones (so many wipes to Hashmal...)

Thanks all, very helpful.

Sounds like none of this is for me anyways since I'm too chicken to even try the extreme trials.

As a separate matter, anyone got some sweet Gunbreaker or Dark Knight glamour set ups they want to share? I've been a little bit unsatisfied with the tank armor looks in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mikeraskol posted:

Thanks, helpful.

Sounds like none of this is for me anyways since I'm too chicken to even try the extreme trials.

As a separate matter, anyone got some sweet Gunbreaker or Dark Knight glamour set ups they want to share? I've been a little bit unsatisfied with the tank armor looks in this game.

All raids are much easier than extreme trials, for the record. They're mainly used to get good gear for people who don't want to form statics to clear Extreme or Savage content.