Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ometeotl posted:

How incompetent can you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Megaevolutuions are at least cool but this won’t even have those so w/e. Z moves and gygamaxing are a waste of their apparently stretched resources.

Dunno why they keep trying to reinvent these gimmicks. It’s similiar how poke studio and that dumb opera thing were all pointless and bad compared to contests. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Avalerion posted:

Megaevolutuions are at least cool but this won’t even have those so w/e. Z moves and gygamaxing are a waste of their apparently stretched resources.

Dunno why they keep trying to reinvent these gimmicks. It’s similiar how poke studio and that dumb opera thing were all pointless and bad compared to contests. :(

Gigamaxing is just mega evolution it's no less cool

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It looks way more lame, mechanically, than megas

E: And also the method of getting a pokemon that can do it suuuuuuuuuucks compared to megas

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Mega evolution you can do in any battle with any species of the pokemon once you have the stone. Gigamaxing you have to catch a specific pokemon that's capable of doing it, which are said to be rare, you can only gigamax in specific set places, and it lasts for 3 turns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes, Mega evolution is broken

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It made bad pokemon viable again though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gigamaxing is less cool becuase 1) it tints them red which i don't like 2) it ties in to the fake z-move stuff which i never liked 3) it's actually called gigantimaxing which isn't as cool

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Outside of the legendaries (and pseudo-legendaries minus garchomp), which are supposed to be broken, it's pretty well balanced

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

So is Bibarel

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What models did the Let's Go games use?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bibarel is legit and I will not let anyone shittalk him

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

gigamaxing is less cool becuase 1) it tints them red which i don't like

The red is blood steam, which symbolizes the blood price they pay for giga evolution

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What models did the Let's Go games use?

LGPE are gen VII games

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Avalerion posted:

It’s similiar how poke studio and that dumb opera thing were all pointless and bad compared to contests. :(

:wrong:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Megas have many issues but Gigantamax manages to be worse.

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

By far the worst thing to happen to Pokemon was its fans becoming adults.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Pokemon fans got older, sure, but becoming adults is debatable

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TOMMY PROVOLONE posted:

By far the worst thing to happen to Pokemon was its fans becoming adults.

actually it was cutting Dexnav

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Megas are very good and Gigantamaxing is not close to as good.

G Max Moves sound cooler than Z moves though. Z moves that are unique to individual pokemon rather than types and have affects beyond big damage is cool, and I think gives the sort of big super move feel they want. It's lame that these moves are attached to other turns of just having generically strong moves which sorta sucks. But I think overall it comes off as an evolution of the ideas from Z moves.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Doc V posted:

-Switch development is much, much slower than 3DS development.
-Scope creep: counting formes, there are over 1000 pokemon already and that number is only going to get bigger. Oomori mentions that they already struggled with implementing the entire national dex in Sun/Moon and basically, they knew that they were going to have to start cutting parts out eventually, the only question was when.
-The more resources they have to spend on maintaining existing pokemon, the fewer resources they have for implementing new ones.
-Having more pokemon makes it harder to create features like mega evolution and dynamaxing, which require extra models and balancing for a large number of pokemon.

this all sounds like bullshit nonsense for the biggest media property in the galaxy but w/e. they'll all be back by Gen 10 at the latest I bet

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have they said how many new mons are being added

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

... and lets go and smash

Maybe I've been married too long, but you should at least buy dinner first.

less laughter posted:

actually it was cutting Dexnav

:hai:

Countblanc posted:

Have they said how many new mons are being added

About twelve.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How dare a company only require its employees work 40 hours a week in order to have a work/life balance.

This is probably the real cause, and why Animal Crossing is delayed, but they paid dearly with investors for stating it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

iospace posted:

How dare a company only require its employees work 40 hours a week in order to have a work/life balance.

This is probably the real cause, and why Animal Crossing is delayed, but they paid dearly with investors for stating it.

They could just not subject them to insane release date deadlines, that's also an option.

And before anyone throws out how the Pokemon anime makes that impossible, I'm talking about doing this long term, not just suddenly pushing back the game's release.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they could add more employees and keep 40 hour weeks. nobody wants devs to work themselves to death or depression

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Apparently Sun and Moon had something crazy like 400 contractors.

So yeah, maybe dont loving poo poo out a yearly rpg and work conditions and quality will improve.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

indigi posted:

they could add more employees and keep 40 hour weeks. nobody wants devs to work themselves to death or depression

More devs = diminishing returns. It's not as simple as you think.

Saagonsa posted:

They could just not subject them to insane release date deadlines, that's also an option.

And before anyone throws out how the Pokemon anime makes that impossible, I'm talking about doing this long term, not just suddenly pushing back the game's release.

Or those deadlines could be set by someone else. Yes, I understand a lot of you are upset, but it was A. going to happen sooner or later, and B. let's be realistic here, it was either 1. working people to the bone, or 2. some features have to be dropped.

#2 there happens A LOT, but we generally don't hear about it happening. The big issue here is a feature that's getting dropped is, admittedly, a key feature, but it happened.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Well, it clearly worked well enough for a team of Chinese to steal models and animations wholesale from an arcade game and make them work in a phone game.
Refresh my memory though, aren't most 3D Pokemon games since X/Y using the same set of models, actually? Just with different texturing where applicable?

it's worse, they were all designed for Pokedex 3D

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently Sun and Moon had something crazy like 400 contractors.

So yeah, maybe dont loving poo poo out a yearly rpg and work conditions and quality will improve.

Got a source for it?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

iospace posted:

Or those deadlines could be set by someone else.

Yeah, That's why I specified that it was someone else subjecting the devs to those deadlines. I don't see your point.

E: apologies, I'm mad about other stuff and shouldn't take it out on you

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saagonsa posted:

...No poo poo? That's why I specified that it was someone else subjecting the devs to those deadlines? I don't see your point.

I don't see your point either. I'm saying Gamefreak may not have set those deadlines, but Nintendo by way of the board or somewhat. You don't specify who set those deadlines in your original post.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

iospace posted:

I don't see your point either. I'm saying Gamefreak may not have set those deadlines, but Nintendo by way of the board or somewhat.

Yeah I'm not necessarily blaming Gamefreak here. I don't really have the hateboner for them that others seem to. I'm just saying that it didn't need to be this way and that really sucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah I'm not necessarily blaming Gamefreak here. I don't really have the hateboner for them that others seem to. I'm just saying that it didn't need to be this way and that really sucks.

How dare Nintendo treat their employees like humans then. It's damned if they do, damned if they dont. If they demand the full dex, then guess what, they overwork their employees. If they don't, nerds everywhere meltdown.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

iospace posted:

How dare Nintendo treat their employees like humans then.

Come on dude, you know I don't mean overworking them. I literally just talked about the insane release deadlines.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't really care if I can't Catch Em All and if they literally only had the new Pokemon of this region in the new game that'd be fine with me, but I don't really buy the excuses for not having better animations and maybe they should've taken a bit more time and gotten more people for their first mainline Pokemon game on consoles. The game visually looks... fine, but the animations in the battles are still garbage and I don't really think that's acceptable for one of the biggest media properties in the known universe

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

iospace posted:

How dare Nintendo treat their employees like humans then. It's damned if they do, damned if they dont. If they demand the full dex, then guess what, they overwork their employees. If they don't, nerds everywhere meltdown.

Nerds will always meltdown

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

iospace posted:

Got a source for it?

Just serebii joe

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1150046240131944450?s=19

Could probs look at the sm credits which were pretty hefty

Anyway, at a game a year since 2014, im more inclined to believe GameFreak runs on crunch nowadays.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

when it comes down to 1) including stupid gimmicks the majority of players won't touch or 2) keeping continuity with the series for its most important mechanic....loving take 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just serebii joe

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1150046240131944450?s=19

Could probs look at the sm credits which were pretty hefty

Anyway, at a game a year since 2014, im more inclined to believe GameFreak runs on crunch nowadays.

Alright.

I usually skip or don't pay attention to the credits so grain of salt on my end :v: