Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

xtal posted:

More 👏 national 👏 dumpster 👏 fires 👏

Heat the poor along with the rich!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

People are compostable, no reason other things shouldn't be.

*valid only where facilities available.

Hopefully this is more widespread than it currently is by the time I'm ready to check out. Global warming has me rethinking my original cremation plans.

Maybe compost at the bottom of a deep, deep mine so my carbon can be sequestered.

PT6A posted:

They make compostable plastic straws and cups so I don't get what the problem is with just using those. They're so identical to non-compostable plastic equivalents that I actually asked the waiter, "are you sure these plastic straws and containers are recyclable?" and it turns out they are! I think the plastic is called PLA, and it composts just fine in a municipal system, or it can be cleaned and recycled directly into new products.

Hopefully it works better than older "compostable" plastics, basically just plastic chains held together by a starch matrix. Breaks down and enters the marine ecosystem as flushable microplastics much faster than regular plastics.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Perhaps a small number of people who manage to change their plastic straw behaviour might be empowered to make other changes in their lives.

But ultimately we need the government to legislate change and markets to roll it out as a competitive advantage - like that grocery store brand in the UK that no has a huge no plastic section.

For those garbage stores that wont change like dollarama or walmart just tax the poo poo out of them so there is no cost benefit to not doing it.

Giving bubble tea stores an extra year will accomplish nothing. Telling them they have a year before a huge single use plastic tax is enacted will actually spur change.

I mean how hard is it to follow emission reduction and efficiency templates? In two years 10% of the poo poo you sell can’t be in garbo plastic, three years 20%, etc

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 10, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Companies should have to pay for the entire life cycle of the stuff they produce and the byproduct waste they create, including disposal.

I doubt manufacturers will pay their submanufacturers to have every nut bolt and washer wrapped in its own little baggie because nobody's going to want to pay for it.

This will trickle down through the entire capitalist system and we'll be left off with everyone owning a lot less stuff and that stuff will be a lot less fragile a lot more durable and with much less focus on asthetic qualities.

And anyone who bitches about their stuff getting a little scuff on it during shipping will be forced to work in the reeducation landfill reclaiming recycleable material that we collectively dumped in a hole in the ground because it cost less than actually recycling it.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 11, 2019

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
If the government just treated corporations like Bombardier like they do young adults seeking education they'd already own it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

Companies should have to pay for the entire life cycle of the stuff they produce and the byproduct waste they create, including disposal.

This is the case in some provinces already, BC and I think one or two tiny trivial provinces are 100% producer (or importer) pays. A bunch of others are 50-67%. Except for, you know, environmental externalities - carbon tax or not.

(Alberta is 0% producer paid, or was whenever I saw a province-by-province chart.)

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1149265881983324160?s=19

Hey this is actually a Good loving Thing.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Everyone go watch this documentary about the Oka crisis

https://www.nfb.ca/film/kanehsatake_270_years_of_resistance/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hexigrammus posted:

*valid only where facilities available.

Hopefully this is more widespread than it currently is by the time I'm ready to check out. Global warming has me rethinking my original cremation plans.

Maybe compost at the bottom of a deep, deep mine so my carbon can be sequestered.

Hopefully it works better than older "compostable" plastics, basically just plastic chains held together by a starch matrix. Breaks down and enters the marine ecosystem as flushable microplastics much faster than regular plastics.

Apparently it's commonly used in medical contexts because it will literally decompose into lactic acid in the body given enough time, so that's still a not a terrible outcome even if it doesn't get recycled or composted, which it absolutely should. I suppose it's still not perfect, but when I heard about it, I thought, "why is this poo poo not everywhere?"

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
AFAIK compostable PLA requires water and heat to start degrading. So if it ends up in the trash, it won't degrade naturally.

Also those cups are not ideal for hot beverages

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

AFAIK compostable PLA requires water and heat to start degrading. So if it ends up in the trash, it won't degrade naturally.

Also those cups are not ideal for hot beverages

Plastic cups are never ideal for hot beverages.

The other advantage of PLA is that it's a lot easier to dispose of food containers because you can just throw it in the compost with any food products still in it, instead of having to rinse it out, so there's a higher chance it won't simply be thrown in the trash.

Another thing I'd like to see is more public compost bins. I've seen them all over the place in other countries, where all public bins have an inorganic and organic side, but at least here in Calgary, on the street we just have normal trash bins.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

All the recycle bins around here have an equal amount of trash in them even though they're right next to trash cans, so compost bins would probably be more hassle than they're worth, unfortunately.

We do have a city wide compost program now at least, so that's good.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Aces High posted:

With Bombardier selling off their Challenger and Dash 8 stuff to foreign companies why the gently caress do we still look to them as the champions of Canadian aeronautics and...anything? Like, gently caress, shouldn't we be pressuring companies to continue producing poo poo in Canada?

Then again, perhaps Bombardier is kind of a bad example since they gave up being good producers loving decades ago

The Dash 8 was sold to Longview aviation, the parent company of Viking which owns all the other Dehavilland type certificates. This isn’t a foreign company. It’s a Canadian company based out of B.C. with members of the Thompson family being key shareholders. That’s as Canadian as it gets. Based on what I’ve seen, Longview was able to resurrect aircraft production for planes that weren’t produced since 25 years ago so if there’s any hope for the future of the Dash 8 it’s probably with them. In fact I may be coming to work for them soon. The pay is phenomenal and I’m covered by Unifor.

Since Bonbardier sold off the Downsview site, there’s an active lease there to keep producing Dash 8s until 2023 at which point production will likely move to Hamilton or Kitchener. My gut tells me Hamilton. It’ll be great for the local economy and that sweet sweet aerospace money will go a lot further than the GTA.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 11, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kraftwerk posted:

The Dash 8 was sold to Longview aviation, the parent company of Viking which owns all the other Dehavilland type certificates. This isn’t a foreign company. It’s a Canadian company based out of B.C. with members of the Thompson family being key shareholders. That’s as Canadian as it gets. Based on what I’ve seen, Longview was able to resurrect aircraft production for planes that weren’t produced since 25 years ago so if there’s any hope for the future of the Dash 8 it’s probably with them. In fact I may be coming to work for them soon. The pay is phenomenal and I’m covered by Unifor.

Sweet, try to get them to update the Dash 8s in castlegar with proper electronics so they can land if there's a wisp of cloud in the sky.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Sweet, try to get them to update the Dash 8s in castlegar with proper electronics so they can land if there's a wisp of cloud in the sky.

I used to work on the Dash 8 when it was Bombardier. The problem with in-service updates was a chicken and egg scenario.

Bombardier refuses to fund new engineering and development to keep the aircraft up to date so typically what happens is we wait for an existing fleet operator to develop a need for an update and then we get them to pay for it. They absorb the development costs and we resell for cheaper to all the other operators.

So everyone is just waiting to see who blinks first before needed in service updates are provided. That’s how cash strapped Bombardier is. The only time Bombardier self finances upgrades is when they’re forced to by regulators. For instance the FAA mandated all airplanes get ADS-B OUT by like 2020 or something so we had no choice but to get that done.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Since Bonbardier sold off the Downsview site, there’s an active lease there to keep producing Dash 8s until 2023 at which point production will likely move to Hamilton or Kitchener. My gut tells me Hamilton. It’ll be great for the local economy and that sweet sweet aerospace money will go a lot further than the GTA.

:toot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kraftwerk posted:

I used to work on the Dash 8 when it was Bombardier. The problem with in-service updates was a chicken and egg scenario.

Bombardier refuses to fund new engineering and development to keep the aircraft up to date so typically what happens is we wait for an existing fleet operator to develop a need for an update and then we get them to pay for it. They absorb the development costs and we resell for cheaper to all the other operators.

So everyone is just waiting to see who blinks first before needed in service updates are provided. That’s how cash strapped Bombardier is. The only time Bombardier self finances upgrades is when they’re forced to by regulators. For instance the FAA mandated all airplanes get ADS-B OUT by like 2020 or something so we had no choice but to get that done.

That's just good business. You don't do something on your own dime when someone else will pay you to do it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

That's just good business. You don't do something on your own dime when someone else will pay you to do it.

Yes but back in 2013 when the CSeries was shaping up to be a serious threat to existing airbus customers their parent company EADS realized they can shut the Q400 out of the market simply by making a $3,000,000 investment into ATR, the Dash 8s immediate competitor.

Considering EADS had enough cash on hand to turn itself into a large European bank, such an investment was a no brainer. The ATR outsold the Dash8 completely and captured all new orders for 5 years straight. Every customer was taking us for a ride. They’d make increasingly complex customizations, demand price breaks and then buy ATRs for pennies to the dime while leaving us with production slots that we couldn’t find customers for. Bombardier didn’t even have the balls to come after customers for breach of contract. They were so desperate they practically let 4-5 planes sit on the ramp awaiting delivery because Nigerian airlines weren’t paying for them. It was hosed and a lot of that was just the strategy EADS/Airbus was using to starve the Q program and therefore Bombardier of much needed cash.

With factors like this in play it’s hard to go in front of your shareholders and justify much needed CapEx to improve the program and make it competitive.

Now that Longview has the Q400 it becomes a regional aircraft that only threatens the ATR which EADS doesn’t care for. You get a nice little niche, you don’t piss of Boeing or Airbus and you get to live off that small market for decades. It’s worked for all the other Dehavilland aircraft and it’ll work for this. The company isn’t top heavy like Bombardier either so I expect to see some investments in incremental upgrades to keep the plane relevant.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Canadian_innovation.txt

Why try growing your business when the government is just going to bail your rear end out?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also from what I've been told, Longview is just going to move the majority of its engineering to Calgary.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I misinterpreted the news of the Dash 8 stuff, probably just assumed it was a foreign company because of what happened with Airbus buying the C-series and now the Challenger stuff being sold to Japan.

Glad to hear not everything is leaving Canada

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I don’t the problem is with equipment, Castlegar just has a really hosed approach with high minima. As in, over ten times higher than a standard airport, and still many times higher than other mountain airports like Kelowna or Cranbrook.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Who remembers PPC Candidate Rocky Dong?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

why did they gently caress up the no name beer label with all that silver

it's obnoxiously easy. yellow label, black text saying BEER and regulatory information. done.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

"At least we're not like America," increasingly nervous man says.

Immigration officers conducting random ID checks on Toronto streets.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-trudeau-defends-anti-pipeline-candidate-tmx-1.5209901

quote:

Trudeau defends anti-pipeline Liberal candidate, reaffirms commitment to Trans Mountain

‘We need to make sure we’re gathering together voices from all different perspectives,’ PM says
Minister of Justice excepted, of course.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

quote:

The federal Conservatives have said Guilbeault's candidacy reveals Trudeau's "true colours" with respect to the country's natural resources sector.

Ahhh, yes, the "true colors" of spending nearly fifteen loving billion dollars to ram a pipeline through a province and risk outright civil war in the west. :fuckoff:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ugh, I knew who this was about before I even loaded the article.

Steven Guilbeault hasn't been a perfect environmental activist by any standard (who is, really), but having been following Quebec environmental politics, I was expecting better of him than to join the loving LPC. When I saw the mental gymnastics he's been putting out to justify the move, I realised he's pretty much been a LPC lifer all along.

I'm sad that Helene Laverdiere isn't going for reelection in my riding and I really hope she didn't bail because the new leader of the NDP wears a turban. I just hope that other voters in this riding don't end up electing a lovely LPC puppet, it'd be a loving shame to do that after ejecting Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe. :smith:

One of the most frustrating things about this whole cycle is that I won't be able to canvas or volunteer this time around, since I'm expatriate and pretty much just a remote name on the lists.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

UnknownMercenary posted:

"At least we're not like America," increasingly nervous man says.

Immigration officers conducting random ID checks on Toronto streets.

er, what the everloving gently caress? no part of that is even theoretically legal

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

er, what the everloving gently caress? no part of that is even theoretically legal

Sounds like they were targeting a specific individual (or business?) they have been investigating for weeks, waited for him to go into a shop and then come out and ask for his ID. But they must have been following the wrong guy? Sounds like whoever was working that day was extra incompetent.

They have had convenience stores selling fake Passports and immigration papers for years in Chinatown, wouldn't be surprised if that was going on again. Either investigating that or a specific male they knew was without status seems a lot more likely then the CBSA suddenly switching to grossly offensive tactics that would have insanely low success rates anyways like random street checks.

CBSA does not do random street checks in downtown toronto trying to get some deportations. According to their only policies. And the law.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 13, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jan posted:

I'm sad that Helene Laverdiere isn't going for reelection in my riding and I really hope she didn't bail because the new leader of the NDP wears a turban.
Nah, she endorsed him during the leadership race. I think she was just done, she never really had the ambition to be an MP and she's done eight years.

Nima Machouf is someone who can really activate the Plateau QS/Projet machine, it's pretty hard to imagine someone who could have a better chance of holding LSM than her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/1149720446637465600?s=19

Oh EMay

This is a real bad idea

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

https://twitter.com/zeeke55/status/1149858953192493061

https://twitter.com/ElizabethMay/status/1149890657173090309

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am the normal person, definitely upset by that tweet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Genuinely impressed at how hard the green party is trying not to get elected. Everything they say can be summed up with :decorum: and :centrism:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/Jeff_Wheeldon/status/1149918939188776960?s=19

Oh man It gets dumber

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol at the hypothetical people who would have voted Green but won't because they employ Kinsella. Those sound like real people whose votes were totally up in the air.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm going to run for politics and my debate style will be spending my time throwing off my shirt and trying to jump kick the other candidates

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

I'm going to run for politics and my debate style will be spending my time throwing off my shirt and trying to jump kick the other candidates

I love affordable homes! I love affordable homes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Warren Kinsella: Dipshit whisperer and double secret counter intel operative.

It's promising to see that every argument against the Greens ever forming a government is made by the Greens themselves