Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I have it on good authority that it will absolutely not be the case that all original 151 will appear in this game. There's almost as many Gen V families in the game as Gen I. Even XY, which literally has Viridian Forest as its early game dungeon, did not have all original 151 despite including their starters and legendaries.

Though the Alola forms would suggest otherwise, there's not a ton of truth to the meme that Game Freak only cares about Gen 1. They're certainly the most marketable but Game Freak has never been totally obsessed with them the way one might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

iospace posted:

More devs = diminishing returns. It's not as simple as you think.

so Gen 7 had 500+ people working on it and it was one of the best (the best, imo) games in the series. slap another couple hundred animators on and let them go hog wild. idk why you're so excited to assume people want the devs to be overworked

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

iospace posted:

If they demand the full dex, then guess what, they overwork their employees.

I mean, yes. The reality of the deadlines that they're under make that true. Literally all I was saying was that it didn't have to be this way. It is now and I'm not arguing that they somehow magically change it, just that this being the case doesn't make the result any less bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad I do not give a poo poo about animations or older pokemon not being in the game because SnS looks cool

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Macaluso posted:

I don't really care if I can't Catch Em All and if they literally only had the new Pokemon of this region in the new game that'd be fine with me, but I don't really buy the excuses for not having better animations and maybe they should've taken a bit more time and gotten more people for their first mainline Pokemon game on consoles.

2nd, LGPE was the first.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Saagonsa posted:

I mean, yes. The reality of the deadlines that they're under make that true. Literally all I was saying was that it didn't have to be this way. It is now and I'm not arguing that they somehow magically change it, just that this being the case doesn't make the result any less bad.

they can just hire more people to do the animation gruntwork

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

indigi posted:

they can just hire more people to do the animation gruntwork

Eh, maybe. I don't doubt that there were technical issues that they encountered that made getting everything in an unrealistic goal with the time that they had to work with. Do we actually know for a fact that they didn't hire any contractors at all to help out? It would be pretty weird if there weren't any at all, but I don't know if that's the case.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I would not be surprised if SS has the largest number of people working in a pokemon.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

less laughter posted:

2nd, LGPE was the first.

LGPE isn't a mainline game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dienes posted:

Its a pokemon rpg made by gamefreak that remakes an older game with some new content.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dienes posted:

It has been referred to as such by Masuda so technically yeah it is. It just doesn't line up with the standards of any other mainline game so in spirit it isn't really

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

The Golden Gael posted:

when it comes down to 1) including stupid gimmicks the majority of players won't touch or 2) keeping continuity with the series for its most important mechanic....loving take 2.

Which is more appealing: Pokemon the game, or Pokemon the idea?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Andrast posted:

I'm glad I do not give a poo poo about animations or older pokemon not being in the game because SnS looks cool

:hai:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Andrast posted:

I'll wait till Pokemon HH comes out.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dienes posted:

Don't lie please. It's listed on the official site under "main series":

And here's further confirmation: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8n9atm/clarification_the_lets_go_titles_are_mainline/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So, let's review the bullshit that's been debunked:

1) Game Freak is less interested in developing Pokemon and funneling more resources into original games like Town.
2) Game Freak DOES take on more staff and contractors in order to develop their games, it's not a matter of them being unwilling to take on more.
3) This is NOT just a matter of porting the models that originated on the 3DS, and they are effectively remaking large amounts of them on top of improving the animations of multiple moves.

Did I miss anything? Are there any more remaining inaccuracies about Game Freak and the effort and time they're putting into the franchise being thrown about.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

d3lness posted:

I'll wait till Pokemon HH comes out.

All I want is something kinda similar to SnS but with a lot more features, even at the cost of losing some lame gimmick. So Pokemon CB will probably be good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the mainline bit is like rollout in that it gets better every time

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also this is the same interview from Famitsu that came out during E3

We could have known all of this from the freaking START

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

All I want is something kinda similar to SnS but with a lot more features, even at the cost of losing some lame gimmick. So Pokemon CB will probably be good

Pokemon hammer please. Simple but effective and satisfying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

1) Game Freak is less interested in developing Pokemon and funneling more resources into original games like Town.
2) Game Freak DOES take on more staff and contractors in order to develop their games, it's not a matter of them being unwilling to take on more.
3) This is NOT just a matter of porting the models that originated on the 3DS, and they are effectively remaking large amounts of them on top of improving the animations of multiple moves.

Did I miss anything? Are there any more remaining inaccuracies about Game Freak and the effort and time they're putting into the franchise being thrown about.

First one isnt debunked, just unconfirmed. They did confirm Team A works on new IPs but we do not know what that means for SS, since TOWN couldve paused development for SS or maybe both are being done in tangent.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

You could start by pretty much any other official statement this year. Personally, I don't believe a single word from Masuda.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I would not be surprised if SS has the largest number of people working in a pokemon.

agreed. hire more though

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

maybe both are being done in tangent.

tandem

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

First one isnt debunked, just unconfirmed. They did confirm Team A works on new IPs but we do not know what that means for SS, since TOWN couldve paused development for SS or maybe both are being done in tangent.

The whole notion was cooked up by people so that they could find a way to accuse GF of neglecting the franchise or wanting to put much effort into it. There's no real reason to give it any consideration, as it's nothing but pure speculation.

qnqnx posted:

You could start by pretty much any other official statement this year. Personally, I don't believe a single word from Masuda.

You don't have any idea how any of this works. You're so committed to the narrative that you're being deceived or tricked that you're refusing to believe any alternative. Yes, corporations can be dishonest, but you know what else? When they lie, it's usually about stuff you can't directly substantiate - like Ubisoft's "it would be too much work to add women" from a few years ago, there's no records or logs that any consumer interest minded person can go into the product and take out. For them to be lying in this case, they'd have to be pants on head idiotic to basically port the 3DS models when anyone can effectively compare them once the game is out and see that they were being untruthful. There's no incentive for them to be doing what you're saying, and the requirements would involve both cartoonish stupidity AND cartoonishly evil.

You can respond to this with "lol why are you defending a corporation", but you have basically nothing to prove that they have motivation for it or a believable reason to believe they could get away with it, in this case. The only way lying makes sense would be if they were TRYING to get everyone pissed at them, which, again, lacks any motivation or triggering factors whatsoever.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

You are still defending a corporation, for no real gain.
I don't believe Masuda's claims because they either not have lined up with what is shown in the trailers, or the reality is that they are massively incompetent.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

The whole notion was cooked up by people so that they could find a way to accuse GF of neglecting the franchise or wanting to put much effort into it. There's no real reason to give it any consideration, as it's nothing but pure speculation.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/game-freak-were-trying-to-create-something-more-than-pokemon/
Exactly. There are two different production teams here, simply named Production Team 1 and Production Team 2. Team 1 is fully dedicated to Gear Project, while Team 2 is for the Pokémon operation. What that means is that Game Freak is a company is prioritising Gear Project, which is production team number one, more than Pokémon in general.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Saagonsa posted:

Pokemon CB will be awful since running SAED spam Ubers will be the only efficient way to play.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That... just sounds like they want to make sure not everyone at the company becomes creatively sterile. No one can work on one thing endlessly and still remain fresh, so to speak.

EDIT - sorry, I didn't see your edit/the rest of your post.

qnqnx posted:

You are still defending a corporation, for no real gain.
I don't believe Masuda's claims because they either not have lined up with what is shown in the trailers, or the reality is that they are massively incompetent.

Because the Pokemon fandom has proven themselves to be bastions of visual analysis and knowledge of game development. Hell, people in this thread are still touting the notion that basically writing a blank check means you can overcome every development obstacle.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

roselia and roserade's bulbapedia description mention that "It holds a rose in each of its hands, a red one in its right and a blue one in its left" and "it holds a bouquet in each hand. It has a red in its right hand and blue in its left". is there any evidence of this and not just the flowers being the hands

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Mew and Mewtwo are kind of the quintessential legendary Pokemon, I don't think they'll ever just leave them out of future Pokemon games.

Every region tends to have Ditto, which means SOMEBODY at some point tried to make a clone of Mew and wound up making yet another Mewtwo who loves dark caves and being left the hell alone

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

1. That's the criticism, yes. Unless you're saying this is "debunked", which it hasn't.
2. Yes, being unwilling to take on more staff/spend more money despite Pokemon being the biggest IP literally ever is a poo poo reason to cut content.
3. Sucks that they chose to state that they specifically made the Sun/Moon models to be used on games going forward then decided not to do that. Also sucks that they would rather poo poo out a gen a year rather than take their time and give their employees more time to work and not need to cut content.

Get it through your thick goon skull that you coming in here declaring things "debunked" means jack poo poo. You're not the almighty arbiter of what is or is not, and you come across as a giant tool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

That... just sounds like they want to make sure not everyone at the company becomes creatively sterile. No one can work on one thing endlessly and still remain fresh, so to speak.

EDIT - sorry, I didn't see your edit/the rest of your post.

That's fine. And hell, my main point isn't that that's bad. Frankly, it could definitely be the case that Production Team 1 is the big dogs, but SS gets all hands on deck and TOWN is not currently in development until SS releases, however we do not know what the situation is (though we do know that GF did port Giga Wrecker to the Switch and released it only two months ago). And most importantly, it's discouraging to hear this 'divide' exists right now on the fifth year in a row with a new Pokemon game, that also happens to be their biggest new thing to date.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

d3lness posted:

Pokemon CB will be awful since running SAED spam Ubers will be the only efficient way to play.

Don't doxx me

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Okay, so here's the actual credit list for Pokemon Sun and Moon. Localization and special thanks inflate the number quite a bit

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Staff_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_Sun_and_Moon

Quite a few companies involved, too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Every region tends to have Ditto, which means SOMEBODY at some point tried to make a clone of Mew and wound up making yet another Mewtwo who loves dark caves and being left the hell alone

Maybe not: https://www.gameinformer.com/index.php/b/features/archive/2016/07/13/pok-233-mon-39-s-burning-questions.aspx

quote:

There is a rumor that in the original Pokémon games, versions Red and Blue, that the Pokémon Ditto was a failed attempt at cloning a Mew. I was wondering if you could speak to this, to whether or not it’s true.

Masuda: That’s the first time I have ever hear that rumor actually.

Is that your only answer?

Masuda: In terms of how Pokémon are designed, they are each their own unique living being. The unique thing about Ditto is that it’s a Pokémon that can change forms, but each Pokémon we create with its own unique element, so we just make sure that they are all individual life forms of their own.

I guess this falls short of an unconditional denial (Masuda loves dodging questions, apparently), but it seems that Ditto being a Mew clone wasn't his intent at the time.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Even if what he says is true it still stands that they've completely mishandled everything about the announcement of the decision.

Also can we not do the thing where anyone who thinks the decision sucks automatically wants the devs to die of crunch? That's even dumber than it automatically being because you want to use your level 100 legendaries as soon as you start up the game.

There's two ways this is going to go. Either they'll be really good about cycling pokemon in and out (including starters and legendaries) so that after a few games there'll be so many things with suitable models they'll just be putting them all in every game again because if there is any claim that is bullshit its the one about balance concerns, source: every game they've ever made, though admittedly they have started doing tweaks with the last two gens. Or we're doomed to 50% of every line up being the same for the rest of time because they don't want to bother upgrading everything.

I'm pretty sure it'll be the former, eventually, especially if they keep up on the remakes because then they'll have all of Gen 4 and Gen 5 done unless they decide to cut monsters from their original games.

iospace posted:

Don't doxx me

It's ok, the ATKT patch will mix it up making special attackers viable again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's fine. And hell, my main point isn't that that's bad. Frankly, it could definitely be the case that Production Team 1 is the big dogs, but SS gets all hands on deck and TOWN is not currently in development until SS releases, however we do not know what the situation is (though we do know that GF did port Giga Wrecker to the Switch and released it only two months ago). And most importantly, it's discouraging to hear this 'divide' exists right now on the fifth year in a row with a new Pokemon game, that also happens to be their biggest new thing to date.

I just don't get it. It's like saying Nintendo is shortchanging one franchise because Nintendo EAD is split developing Animal Crossing while another part of it is developing Breath of the Wild 2.

Annath posted:

1. That's the criticism, yes. Unless you're saying this is "debunked", which it hasn't.
2. Yes, being unwilling to take on more staff/spend more money despite Pokemon being the biggest IP literally ever is a poo poo reason to cut content.
3. Sucks that they chose to state that they specifically made the Sun/Moon models to be used on games going forward then decided not to do that. Also sucks that they would rather poo poo out a gen a year rather than take their time and give their employees more time to work and not need to cut content.

Get it through your thick goon skull that you coming in here declaring things "debunked" means jack poo poo. You're not the almighty arbiter of what is or is not, and you come across as a giant tool.

1. I mean, maybe debunked is the wrong word, but you sure as hell require a burden of proof more than "a game developer dares to work on more than one title at once." So yeah, it could be true, and Masuda could also hold bear baitings in his basement. It's not impossible but you need more than a cynical read of a practice that every developer under the sun that wants to grow their business takes on.
2. Except... they do take on more staff. That's the point of what I said. Sun and Moon had hundreds of contract workers, it's ludicrous to believe that this isn't the case for SwSh when it's been the case for every primary title in the series. And even then, simply hiring more people comes with more complications, as dividing work into incrementally smaller packages for more people to do becomes excessively impractical and requires even more people to manage it. At this point, you're impeding development, not helping it.
3. I'm pretty sure that when they conceived of future proofing the models in... when did Pokedex 3D Pro come out? 2012? they weren't anticipating a system that hadn't begun development, nor did they imagine title that would come out seven years later that would ultimately need higher quality visuals than the super plasticy and janky looking title that came out on the Switch beforehand. And you know, they certainly got their mileage's worth anyway, considering two 3DS apps used them, 9 mainline games, multiple mobile apps, various arcade machines, and two Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games ended up using them.

Also, the game's development overlapped with Sun and Moon, numbering in several years. All games eventually have to leave things on the cutting room floor for release - hell, when Nintendo (or hell, anyone else) delays a game, more often than not, it's not to add more content half the time, it's to make sure it's stable and functional. That long delay Breath of the Wild had was more for stuff under the hood than making the world bigger.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ditto shows up in the same place as the mew research was going on and has the same color palette, both normal and shiny. mew has the dna of all pokemon, ditto can be all pokemon. it's :clap: a :clap: failed clone :clap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and how do you explain that Ditto shows up worldwide, naturally?