Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Trabisnikof posted:

Right and the Warren and Biden campaigns are using a legal loophole to expand the definitions of volunteer to cover positions that are clearly internships.

Now you can again, say that labor exploitation is OK so long as its at a non-profit. But you have to recognize it is labor exploitation.

I guess I don’t really care if campaigns pay their interns and I don’t see it as a proxy for how a candidate is likely to regulate businesses.

I do think unpaid internships at profit enterprises should be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Excluding the working class from the electoral system certainly can't have any unforeseen consequences.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I guess I don’t really care if campaigns pay their interns and I don’t see it as a proxy for how a candidate is likely to regulate businesses.

this isn’t about some potential implication for how she’ll regulate businesses, this is about being enough of a shithead to pay extremely high prices for your other campaign staff (especially your policy staff) while using a legal loophole to avoid paying your interns, then turning around and talking about income inequality. she’s being a giant loving hypocrite

Breakfast All Day posted:

Excluding the working class from the electoral system certainly can't have any unforeseen consequences.
oh and this too, unpaid internships are exclusively for rich kids whose parents can finance it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

And when people talk about a clear ideological difference between Warren and Sanders, this is part of it.

The idea that you can be pro-union, but not unionize your own workplace. The idea you can be pro-minimum wage, but pay some workers nothing. The idea that somehow politics is exempt from economics is exactly the difference between the two.

Sanders doesn’t think you can escape your duty to act ethically just because it is politics. While Warren thinks exclusively drawing “fellows” from those wealthy enough to work 20+ hours for free won’t have any impact on their politics or worldview.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

And when people talk about a clear ideological difference between Warren and Sanders, this is part of it.

The idea that you can be pro-union, but not unionize your own workplace. The idea you can be pro-minimum wage, but pay some workers nothing. The idea that somehow politics is exempt from economics is exactly the difference between the two.

Sanders doesn’t think you can escape your duty to act ethically just because it is politics. While Warren thinks exclusively drawing “fellows” from those wealthy enough to work 20+ hours for free won’t have any impact on their politics or worldview.

Warren believes capitalism is fine and intent matters, the bankers and techbros are bad because they loophole like this, and what I do is fine because my motives are pure

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor. I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.
Having been a contractor I can tell you that the legal difference in that instance isn’t exactly pro-labor and it really loving sucks to be one. In this instance you have people with set hours and expectations not getting paid at all so it’s even worse than that, it’s basically an unpaid internship.

And being a volunteer is something else entirely, you go off the clock whenever you feel like it and put in as many or few hours as you want. There’s a pretty massive difference between doing that and doing an unpaid internship.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1150086211668758529
https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1150096594274045953

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Things will not go well next year for the Democrats.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nonsense posted:

Things aren't going to go well for them until enough Progressives get on the field to wrench control away from the Pelosi's and the Schumer's and drag the party kicking and screaming back to the left.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Nonsense posted:

But if you’re wrong what will that mean? What level of success will cause you to reevaluate the Silent Leftist Majority hypothesis? If they retain the House? If they win the senate? If they win the White House? What would make you wrong?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

None of that will happen. Incumbency at ALL levels that will happen.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cerebral Bore posted:

A volunteer is someone that you can ask to do something, a staffer is someone you can tell to do something, hth.

Like there's a difference. What, are you going to keep volunteers around who don't do what they're asked?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor. I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.

Indentured servitude: A-OK

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least Ogmius's position seems to be explicitly opposed to the left-wing one (in that he seems to basically be fine with unpaid internships existing), as opposed to making some tortured attempt at justifying them within a left-wing ideological framework.

Though I would ask them (Ogmius) to reconsider this idea that non-profits are somehow morally "in the clear" compared with for-profit enterprises. A business can still exploit workers even if it's not for-profit. For example, it can use unpaid work in order to allow higher-level/management positions to be paid more.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

At least Ogmius's position seems to be explicitly opposed to the left-wing one (in that he seems to basically be fine with unpaid internships existing), as opposed to making some tortured attempt at justifying them within a left-wing ideological framework.

Though I would ask them (Ogmius) to reconsider this idea that non-profits are somehow morally "in the clear" compared with for-profit enterprises. A business can still exploit workers even if it's not for-profit. For example, it can use unpaid work in order to allow higher-level/management positions to be paid more.

Sure, but bloated overhead is a much less efficient means of extracting surplus value so I’m generally less worried about it. Moreover, even when non profit salaries become very high they aren’t usually competitive with profit enterprises of a similar scope. In general I’m more concerned about giving nonprofits more flexibility to accomplish their work because the work is often good.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie's staff are unionized because its a for-profit enterprise.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

"Great troll in thread, Calibanibal, go and see them."

"But doctor, you took the bait."

"But doctor, I AM Calibaniacci!:qq:"

Nonsense posted:

For the DNC, probably not. For many individual progressive Democratic candidates, including Bernie, hopefully they will go very, very well. (including in primaries!)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm completely in favor of Warren's plan to provide employers access to flexibility

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

I'm completely in favor of Warren's plan to provide employers access to flexibility

Please. No one provides access to flexibility better than Williamson.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Calibanibal posted:

Her running mate will be world famous yoga master Diamond Dallas Page.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I think there’s room for volunteer positions on campaigns and not for profit organizations that come with concrete commitments and expectations.

:wrong:

Forcing people to work for free in order to get a job is abuse op

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Like there's a difference. What, are you going to keep volunteers around who don't do what they're asked?

If there's no difference then scrap the fellowship program and use volunteers to do that work, easy right.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

The situation is different because campaigns aren’t for-profit businesses. People are there because they want to be, not because they’re desperate to go on living. Thus, exploitation is of less concern.

I'm pretty sure political campaigns are more for-profit than most actual for-profit businesses are, even if the flow of money into the owner's pocket is a bit more indirect. Private business usually at least pretends to be about more than just garnering power and profits for the owner, but that's the entire point of a political campaign.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the "fellowship" program is not a campaign volunteer program. the easy way to tell the two apart is that campaign volunteers don't fill in the same application paid interns do, but these unpaid interns fill in the exact same application as paid interns

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
OH gently caress
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1150112178009202690

Bernie is increasingly giving less of a gently caress!!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

If there's no difference then scrap the fellowship program and use volunteers to do that work, easy right.
Agreed.
I think all volunteers should be paid. And if they want to donate that money back to whatever they volunteered for, let them. The wonks can with out if it should be tax free.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

For someone trying to be a pro-labor candidate, allowing labor to be exploited in the one place they have 100% control over says a lot.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Majorian posted:

OH gently caress
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1150112178009202690

Bernie is increasingly giving less of a gently caress!!!

paradoxically, he's giving more of a gently caress

fight

back

Koalas March posted:

S/o to lastgirl for being a real one itt

:biglips:

smash the patriarchy

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, that’s my point. This is something like the legal difference between an employee and a contractor.

Oh hey, another thing that should not exist.

crazy cloud posted:

Warren believes capitalism is fine and intent matters, the bankers and techbros are bad because they loophole like this, and what I do is fine because my motives are pure

Liberals, much like conservatives, think that the only thing wrong with our current system is that the wrong people are in charge.

"Bernie bros are a bunch of broke rear end morons" - Politico Headline, 2015 2019
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1149679882798063616

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Can't wait to see the bazillion thinkpieces about how attracting new voters is actually bad and racist somehow.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sanders supporters are dumb! (Or, y'know, they have less income and degrees because young people have less income and degrees.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Young broke men are the target audience for fash, ipso facto Bernie voters are fash. It's classic galaxy brain pundit syllogism

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Marxalot posted:

Oh hey, another thing that should not exist.

Liberals, much like conservatives, think that the only thing wrong with our current system is that the wrong people are in charge.

"Bernie bros are a bunch of broke rear end morons" - Politico Headline, 2015 2019
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1149679882798063616

Bernie voters are all wealthy college bros, except when they're all white racist blue collar workers, except when they're all 18 year old kids (can be not white, just naive), except when they're all old hippies, except when they're all clueless middle age Biden swing voters, except when they're all

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Also lol at the multitude of ways that article manages not to talk about Bernie's black youth vote, especially young black women, "men and younger people", "he was unable to win over older voters, especially older voters of color", etc.

Also, "Twenty percent of men support Sanders and 11 percent support Warren; 18 percent of women are behind Sanders and 14 percent are behind Warren." Yet at least six times in the article we're told he struggles to win over women.

Also a reminder when anyone says "postgraduate degree" they're doing so because it includes MBAs and other professional degrees.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

Can't wait to see the bazillion thinkpieces about how attracting new voters is actually bad and racist somehow.

The DNC and RNC have a rationally vested interest in voter suppression. :waycool:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be nice if polls that ask respondents how closely they pay attention to politics, or how informed they are, followed up with general questions of fact to then gauge the quality of the respondents information.

I mean, I know someone who follows politics and the news very closely, but they do so through absolute garbage sources. I also know someone who thinks they are highly informed about politics because political news is currently highly pervasive in the culture. Neither one knows dick, but would respond to a question about how closely they're following things with "very".

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

It would be nice if polls that ask respondents how closely they pay attention to politics, or how informed they are, followed up with general questions of fact to then gauge the quality of the respondents information.

I mean, I know someone who follows politics and the news very closely, but they do so through absolute garbage sources. I also know someone who thinks they are highly informed about politics because political news is currently highly pervasive in the culture. Neither one knows dick, but would respond to a question about how closely they're following things with "very".

“Would you support or oppose bombing Agrabah?”

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Has Warren said before that she'd legalize every immigrant? https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1150148164281876487?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

Has Warren said before that she'd legalize every immigrant? https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1150148164281876487?s=20

She has a plan that I'm sure will turn out to be a 'path to citizenship' for young people aged 18 to 25 who have never jaywalked and can provide proof of both employment and college enrollment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

She has a plan that I'm sure will turn out to be a 'path to citizenship' for young people aged 18 to 25 who have never jaywalked and can provide proof of both employment and college enrollment

Yeah, most definitely. Her plan also lays out how everyone who gets stay has to report to re-education camps so they can learn how to speak ‘Murican, build walls under minimal supervision voluntarily, and effectively protest vaccinations at the county or city level.