Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Gay Democrat Governor Polis got a standing ovation after his speech to the Western Conservative Conference while the Republican Party thrashes and flails helplessly in Colorado to try to get him recalled. That’s pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...r-neighborhoods

Volunteers on the lookout for ICE, helping out their neighbors.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Bust Rodd posted:

Percy the sheep: eh Tom, does the dag seem any bigger to you?

Tom the Sheep: that’s the kind of question that gets you knackered it is, Percy

Percy: eh your right old bean, best keep me head down and wait for the sheering

old British farmer: *honks horn but it’s an mp3 of a dog* woof

lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a co-worker is sponsoring a Ugandan refugee to come live in Canada, and we’ve found a condo for her to rent at cost once she’s settled enough to live on her own here. and this summer my girlfriend and I (and our daughters) are merging households so we’re going to start with our newly-surplus stuff and furnish the place for her. it feels really great to help someone start a new life, and I’m glad that our kids will be part of it too.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Subjunctive posted:

a co-worker is sponsoring a Ugandan refugee to come live in Canada, and we’ve found a condo for her to rent at cost once she’s settled enough to live on her own here. and this summer my girlfriend and I (and our daughters) are merging households so we’re going to start with our newly-surplus stuff and furnish the place for her. it feels really great to help someone start a new life, and I’m glad that our kids will be part of it too.

That's some good news, thank you for sharing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a free room and I've thought about it, how does one sign up for something like that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Gay Democrat Governor Polis got a standing ovation after his speech to the Western Conservative Conference while the Republican Party thrashes and flails helplessly in Colorado to try to get him recalled. That’s pretty good.

Governor Polis is a pretty goddamn solid name for a state level representative

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
gently caress the polis

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

You guys are amazing

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1150086904488058882

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1149893631358246912

chaleski posted:

You guys are amazing

Yes!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hoping for Gravel and Sanders to befuddle everyone with their weird old man powers

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

what a monster, what's next? braiding her hair?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have a free room and I've thought about it, how does one sign up for something like that.

in Canada this is the program (I think different in Quebec?): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/guide-private-sponsorship-refugees-program.html

most large cities here have groups that gather funds and such from a group of people to cover a sponsorship, or you can get with a private group and apply to do it. http://www.rstp.ca/en/ is a good start, I believe. I think it costs about $15,000 to sponsor a single refugee, or $30,000 for a family of four. I didn’t know about the program when they were pulling the financial contributions together, so I didn’t participate in that part this time. in-kind housing can count towards that amount at some standardized rate.

chaleski posted:

You guys are amazing

we have been very fortunate, and are lucky to be able to help others as a result. I want my kid to grow up in a world where people do this kind of thing for each other, you know? but thank you, that’s very kind :blush:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Somebody got their poo poo hosed up by the sun. This is a real photo

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1150199176916979712

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:eyepop:

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

i hope grampa says the f word on tv

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hope he says (again) to throw ICE down the stairs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Somebody got their poo poo hosed up by the sun. This is a real photo

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1150199176916979712

TFW you open the Ark of the Covenant but run away really fast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

New York City had a blackout for about 5 hours that affected most of Hell’s Kitchen, Midtown, and the Upper West Side.

https://twitter.com/broadwaygirlnyc/status/1150221527515901952?s=21

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1150204629923389442?s=21

chitoryu12 has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Jul 14, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That made me smile. I'm gonna steal it and quote it in the happy threa oh noooooooooooooooo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, my friend’s musical (Come From Away) had the cast singing on the street and it gave me chills to listen to the video of it.

we had a big blackout here like 10 years ago, and ice cream places we’re giving stuff away, people were playing boardgames on the sidewalk by flashlight, and some dude came running out of an apartment building SCREAMING “she said yes!” over and over. the couple ended up getting carried on people’s shoulders into the park to fake a wedding or something.

kinda want to sabotage the power grid now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Japanese Bob Ross just released an acrylic painting video and it is fantastic. He doesn't speak in it tho, and since I guess most of you haven't heard of him before, I'm linking a different video for you here:

Mr. Shibasaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZN3-a5nME

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, my friend’s musical (Come From Away) had the cast singing on the street and it gave me chills to listen to the video of it.

we had a big blackout here like 10 years ago, and ice cream places we’re giving stuff away, people were playing boardgames on the sidewalk by flashlight, and some dude came running out of an apartment building SCREAMING “she said yes!” over and over. the couple ended up getting carried on people’s shoulders into the park to fake a wedding or something.

kinda want to sabotage the power grid now.

Apparently the food carts and trucks made bank yesterday because they were the only restaurants in the blackout area still able to sell food.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/nyregion/nyc-blackout-scenes.html

quote:

But from the men roasting hot dogs over a candle on the pavement to the friends using the excuse of a warming fridge to crack open champagne, some New Yorkers did not curse the darkness — they often seemed to enjoy it.

chitoryu12 has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Jul 14, 2019

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

My mom has been hit with some pretty rough stuff in the last year and a half: she was diagnosed with encephalomalacia (slow neurological decay from an old injury) AND serious breast cancer. We had everyone come see her, she was on hospice with a DNR and we were pretty sure she wouldn’t last six months.

Fast forward to today: her breast cancer is now well-controlled by medication, her neurological difficulties don’t seem to be getting any worse, and she’s able to walk around the house safely for the first time in a while. It’s sometimes challenging taking care of her full time, but right now we’re drinking bottomless mimosas and enjoying mid-tier bar food, and I wouldn’t trade seeing her smile from across the table for anything in the world.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Very happy for you and your mom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

extremely happy for Random rear end in a top hat and Mama rear end in a top hat!

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got a pretty happy story.

My dad is your standard Reagan conservative. He was seduced by Trump (said he was a businessman, lol) and was also being consumed by racist fears and prejudices. He keeps it largely to himself, but it was definitely there.

But about two days ago, I had a most wonderful chat with him. You see, he recently got a new job as a window and siding salesman after losing the old one he'd had for many many years. This led him into an ugly downward spiral, and he drank heavily and was just very unpleasant to be around. He still drinks, but he basically doesn't have much time to drink like he used to--but that's not the happy part.

The happy part is that his new job has changed his outlook of the world. He travels all around the state, selling to anyone who needs windows. Ethiopian immigrants, African Americans, people with low incomes and poor credit--and he empathizes with them and tries to help them get the windows they desperately need. It was absolute music to my ears to hear him talk about it. His job has just improved his optimism of the goodness of people in general.

He's still gonna vote for Trump next year "because he's my president," but I think it's pretty drat good just the same.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

My mom has been hit with some pretty rough stuff in the last year and a half: she was diagnosed with encephalomalacia (slow neurological decay from an old injury) AND serious breast cancer. We had everyone come see her, she was on hospice with a DNR and we were pretty sure she wouldn’t last six months.

Fast forward to today: her breast cancer is now well-controlled by medication, her neurological difficulties don’t seem to be getting any worse, and she’s able to walk around the house safely for the first time in a while. It’s sometimes challenging taking care of her full time, but right now we’re drinking bottomless mimosas and enjoying mid-tier bar food, and I wouldn’t trade seeing her smile from across the table for anything in the world.

I wish I could hug this post

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Wanted By Weed posted:

He's still gonna vote for Trump next year "because he's my president," but I think it's pretty drat good just the same.

Not a happy ending to that story.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nocheez posted:

Not a happy ending to that story.

Yeah that was building up to a Happy Thread moment and then took a sharp left turn into Trump Thread for no reason. idc how many people you claim to empathize with, knowing what and who Trump is and still voting for him means you're the same person you always were

you owe us a better post buddy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wanted By Weed posted:

My dad is your standard Reagan conservative. He was seduced by Trump (said he was a businessman, lol) and was also being consumed by racist fears and prejudices. He keeps it largely to himself, but it was definitely there.

But about two days ago, I had a most wonderful chat with him. You see, he recently got a new job as a window and siding salesman after losing the old one he'd had for many many years. This led him into an ugly downward spiral, and he drank heavily and was just very unpleasant to be around. He still drinks, but he basically doesn't have much time to drink like he used to--but that's not the happy part.

The happy part is that his new job has changed his outlook of the world. He travels all around the state, selling to anyone who needs windows. Ethiopian immigrants, African Americans, people with low incomes and poor credit--and he empathizes with them and tries to help them get the windows they desperately need. It was absolute music to my ears to hear him talk about it. His job has just improved his optimism of the goodness of people in general.

I'm happy your dad is on a better path. I hope he keeps on that better path and learns that Trump isn't his president after all.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Check our "happy" by Ferrell and daft punk, song of the summer

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wanted By Weed posted:

his outlook hasn't changed at all and he's still the same person op

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

to not be a downer myself here is the funniest thing in the world: cats failing to make simple jumps

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I for one am happy that your father is getting back trust in people. Just a matter of time before that clashes to much with what Cheetin' Benito lies about.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Japanese Bob Ross just released an acrylic painting video and it is fantastic. He doesn't speak in it tho, and since I guess most of you haven't heard of him before, I'm linking a different video for you here:

Mr. Shibasaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZN3-a5nME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDs3o1uLEdU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Man, I miss edibles.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Subjunctive posted:

Nice!

I come from the town that inspired Come From Away and current work at the local aviation museum. The other day, James Earl Jones Jr. was in here, taking a tour

It is slightly weird to have the guy who taught you English in high school become a character in a hit Broadway musical. Let me tell you, I didn't see that coming

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soldiers coming out against concentration camps is always good because the military is traditionally conservative and terrible:

https://twitter.com/19phranchize/status/1150384668732284928?s=21

https://twitter.com/echo2hotel1/status/1150579513589403648?s=21

https://twitter.com/dmlsys23/status/1150489392085164033?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Wanted By Weed posted:

Who did he vote for in 2012?