Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it transformed into a flying type and flew there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

is it not just as likely that Ditto, an opportunistic species that can take the form of anything, seized upon the new open territory that was the now abandoned Pokemon mansion?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

I just don't get it. It's like saying Nintendo is shortchanging one franchise because Nintendo EAD is split developing Animal Crossing while another part of it is developing Breath of the Wild 2.

This becomes less easy to compare now that Nintendo's first party is all under the NEP&D umbrella. But my main concern is that one team has been churning out a full-fledged RPG every November for five years straight, and on top of that a team that is titled Team 1 is seemingly getting more attention for other titles that do get to release on humane schedules. It feels like something that adds to the perceived problems the Pokemon games have when a possibly sizable chunk of GameFreak isn't involved with the gargantuan task of Pokemon. While NEP&D seems to be just one big-rear end building working on several projects at their own different paces.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also, Mewtwo isn't a clone, it was the offspring Mew gave birth to after having horrific experiments performed upon it.

The clone thing comes entirely from the anime.

How can Ditto be a failed clone if they weren't cloning anything?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This becomes less easy to compare now that Nintendo's first party is all under the NEP&D umbrella. But my main concern is that one team has been churning out a full-fledged RPG every November for five years straight, and on top of that a team that is titled Team 1 is seemingly getting more attention for other titles that do get to release on humane schedules. It feels like something that adds to the perceived problems the Pokemon games have when a possibly sizable chunk of GameFreak isn't involved with the gargantuan task of Pokemon. While NEP&D seems to be just one big-rear end building working on several projects at their own different paces.

That... reading would require us to know when Town entered development, and considering all we've seen of it is alpha footage, I'm pretty certain that it hasn't been that long. I rather doubt that only Team 1 has been making nothing but Pokemon since the 3DS era started.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2019

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

oddium posted:

ditto shows up in the same place as the mew research was going on and has the same color palette, both normal and shiny. mew has the dna of all pokemon, ditto can be all pokemon. it's :clap: a :clap: failed clone :clap:

also has the same value for every stat, same as mew, but lower (48 vs 100)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

I guess this falls short of an unconditional denial (Masuda loves dodging questions, apparently), but it seems that Ditto being a Mew clone wasn't his intent at the time.

Masuda didn't design Mew (Morimoto did) and wasn't in charge back then yet so his intent doesn't matter

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

oddium posted:

ditto shows up in the same place as the mew research was going on and has the same color palette, both normal and shiny. mew has the dna of all pokemon, ditto can be all pokemon. it's :clap: a :clap: failed clone :clap:

Don’t forget they have the exactly same weigh too, and mew naturally learns transform.

I asume Masuda is lying, forgot, or someone else came up with it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

That... reading would require us to know when Town entered development, and considering all we've seen of it is alpha footage, I'm pretty certain that it hasn't been that long. I rather doubt that only Team 1 has been making nothing but Pokemon since the 3DS era started.

When is Town stated for release, while at it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm pretty sure they haven't announced it, or even what the game is actually called.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Before Town it was Giga Wrecker in 2016 as Early Access, and Giga Wrecker Alt this year. Far smaller team in that game, but still some big creatives. And I've said it twice already, but it is likely that TOWN at some point stopped development until SS is done given we haven not seen anything but a single JPG since the reveal last year. Team 2 is the one that does pokemon, as per the interview with Giga Wrecker's director.

So, the point is that we do not know how much the divide actually affects development of Pokemon. It may be taking several dozen GameFreak employees out of Pokemon, or maybe it's not impacting SS at all, but we do not know. That possibility existing when Pokemon games have been releasing for five years straight worries me.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

less laughter posted:

Don't lie please. It's listed on the official site under "main series":

And here's further confirmation: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8n9atm/clarification_the_lets_go_titles_are_mainline/

I mean, you can correct people without calling them liars but thanks for the information.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Nintendo should do a Pokemon colab with Capcom. Beat the poo poo out of Pokemon and carve them up for parts in monhun. It would be like Monster Hunter Stories in reverse!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I'm pretty sure they haven't announced it, or even what the game is actually called.

Fair enough.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Before Town it was Giga Wrecker in 2016 as Early Access, and Giga Wrecker Alt this year. Far smaller team in that game, but still some big creatives. And I've said it twice already, but it is likely that TOWN at some point stopped development until SS is done given we haven not seen anything but a single JPG since the reveal last year. Team 2 is the one that does pokemon, as per the interview with Giga Wrecker's director.

So, the point is that we do not know how much the divide actually affects development of Pokemon. It may be taking several dozen GameFreak employees out of Pokemon, or maybe it's not impacting SS at all, but we do not know. That possibility existing when Pokemon games have been releasing for five years straight worries me.

Personally I am more concerned with the large amount of contractors. It is a sure sign that GF should have expanded their amount of employees long ago, especially if they have split teams.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Nodosaur posted:

also, Mewtwo isn't a clone, it was the offspring Mew gave birth to after having horrific experiments performed upon it.

That's exactly how clones are born. They don't grow them in vats.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Licarn posted:

That's exactly how clones are born. They don't grow them in vats.

clones are born from depositing an embryo fertilized using dna from a single specimen in the womb of a compatible animal species. I'm not sure how regular engaging in horrific experiments and augmentations on the mother is, but they don't make any mention of fertilizing or even engendering Mewtwo's birth. The diary just says Mew had a kid after they did horrifying stuff to it, and nothing else.

Game Mewtwo isn't a clone.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Game Mewtwo isn't a clone, it's a clone dog.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Game Mewtwo isn't a clone, it's a clone dog.

:hmmyes:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Nodosaur posted:

clones are born from depositing an embryo fertilized using dna from a single specimen in the womb of a compatible animal species. I'm not sure how regular engaging in horrific experiments and augmentations on the mother is, but they don't make any mention of fertilizing or even engendering Mewtwo's birth. The diary just says Mew had a kid after they did horrifying stuff to it, and nothing else.

Game Mewtwo isn't a clone.

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.

Its DNA is almost the same as Mew's. However, its size and disposition are vastly different.

A vicious psychic Pokémon created by genetic engineering. Its cold, glowing eyes strike fear into its enemy.

A Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans made its body, they failed to give it a warm heart.

A Pokémon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result.

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.

A Pokémon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Notice that none of those statements mentioning anything about the most important part of cloning, which is inserting an embryo. Everything in those entries still fits the explanation that they did stuff to Mew, and Mewtwo was the result of it.

If Mewtwo were a clone, they'd actually have it be said that it's a clone. It's not like the anime is afraid of throwing the word around, so why would the games pull their punches on it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

oddium posted:

roselia and roserade's bulbapedia description mention that "It holds a rose in each of its hands, a red one in its right and a blue one in its left" and "it holds a bouquet in each hand. It has a red in its right hand and blue in its left". is there any evidence of this and not just the flowers being the hands

the hands are the stems and they hold up the flowers. probably

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

blaine suppressed it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Notice that none of those statements mentioning anything about the most important part of cloning, which is inserting an embryo. Everything in those entries still fits the explanation that they did stuff to Mew, and Mewtwo was the result of it.

If Mewtwo were a clone, they'd actually have it be said that it's a clone. It's not like the anime is afraid of throwing the word around, so why would the games pull their punches on it?

i'd say the most important part of being a clone is being a genetic match of another creature, which mewtwo probably isn't with all the genetic manipulation going on anyway

like the way you say it a clone grown in a vat isnt a clone which doesn't seem right at all to me

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'd say the most important part of being a clone is being a genetic match of another creature, which mewtwo probably isn't with all the genetic manipulation going on anyway

like the way you say it a clone grown in a vat isnt a clone which doesn't seem right at all to me

Well a clone grown in a vat isn't a clone because it's an invention of science fiction. My point is more that by the rules the person was giving me, saying "that's how clones are made", Mewtwo isn't a clone.

In any case, Mewtwo is a mutant, not a clone, as far as the games go. He was born from a parent and, due to genetic mutations that were the result of the experiments performed on its parent, is effectively a new lifeform.

Even then, with all this, you'd think that, if the fact that Ditto were a product of this same experiment, they'd have had the diaries saying "Oh yeah, Mew popped out a bunch of metamorphous goo babies. poo poo's hosed up."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nodosaur posted:

Well a clone grown in a vat isn't a clone because it's an invention of science fiction. My point is more that by the rules the person was giving me, saying "that's how clones are made", Mewtwo isn't a clone.

In any case, Mewtwo is a mutant, not a clone, as far as the games go. He was born from a parent and, due to genetic mutations that were the result of the experiments performed on its parent, is effectively a new lifeform.

Even then, with all this, you'd think that, if the fact that Ditto were a product of this same experiment, they'd have had the diaries saying "Oh yeah, Mew popped out a bunch of metamorphous goo babies. poo poo's hosed up."

Found the ditto.

You can't fool me!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My life sucks far too much for me to be a Ditto. I'm pretty sure a shapeshifting lifeform that can replicate any super power could do better than a 30 something weirdo who has depression and no job.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ditto's life ain't so great, it is a ZU shitmon and is only kept around to prostitute itself

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

If mew actually contains the DNA of all pocket monsters or whatever, aren't we all just its clones and/or children, when it comes down to it?

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 13, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The in-game story tries to tell us that Blue is a good trainer with an impressive, well rounded team. His opening Pokemon is a normal Pidgeot.

There's always going to be dissonance between the lore and the actual game mechanics

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Nodosaur posted:

The in-game story tries to tell us that Blue is a good trainer with an impressive, well rounded team. His opening Pokemon is a normal Pidgeot.

There's always going to be dissonance between the lore and the actual game mechanics

now hold the phone!! pidgeot is impressive!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

less laughter posted:

Ditto's life ain't so great, it is a ZU shitmon and is only kept around to prostitute itself

If I was a monster in a monster fighting world, I'd be thrilled to have to do 0 of the fighting and instead just bang all day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lazy_Liberal posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Yeah it's amazing how bad it is.

IT even gets a mega that is still somehow trash.

Impressively bad bird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Impressively bad bird.

Never in my life have I seen a worse take than this.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mega Pidgeot is solidly UU which is very good

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Impressively bad bird.

A bold, yet truthful claim.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That would matter if Blue had a Mega Pidgeot, but he don't.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
lol i was looking for an intense picture of pidgeot and found this pudgy pidgey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i was looking for an intense picture of pidgeot