Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what an excellent way to depict Pidgeot's battle prowess

showing it attacking a Magikarp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hey now, I’ve seen that karp sweep whole uber teams.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

iospace posted:

Never in my life have I seen a worse take than this.

The idiot that reads "Yeah I mean I'd be fine if they had to delay it instead of making the decision to cut pokemon" as "I WANT THEM TO WORK CRUNCH TILL THEY DIE" has no opinions I care about.

less laughter posted:

Mega Pidgeot is solidly UU which is very good

yeah but you could be using like...any other mega and be havin more fun in UU.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The idiot that reads "Yeah I mean I'd be fine if they had to delay it instead of making the decision to cut pokemon" as "I WANT THEM TO WORK CRUNCH TILL THEY DIE" has no opinions I care about.

yeah but you could be using like...any other mega and be havin more fun in UU.

Maybe I want to use a Hair Band team and got tired of Mega Ampharos.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Info from Famitsu interview posted:

Dynamaxing forces Gamefreak to produce extra models for each and every Pokémon, because you can't just take the same model and increase its size by 10 and expect it to look half decent.
So they've not only had to recreate all the old models from scratch, but they had to make modified Dynamax art assets for every Pokémon. I fully expect Dynamax to be a dead mechanic after generation 8, so, this seems incredibly wasteful unless it's futureproofing for some other feature.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
A 3d model is just a list of numbers indicating position and other related stuff in 3d space.

There’s no way for them to ‘not work’ on different hardware that wouldn’t be easier/cheaper to resolve with a converter, so that excuse is total poo poo anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

less laughter posted:

Ditto's life ain't so great, it is a ZU shitmon and is only kept around to prostitute itself

yeah but Ditto fucks

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ditto fucks but will never feel the experience of having its own children. A doomed species that will never spawn more of their own.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

anybody wanna help me evolve a Haunter? my Switch friend code is 3354-3650-5719, shoot me a PM if you can help!

that scene in Lavender Town with Cubone and Marowak was so good

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
lmao they're actually remaking the models wholesale

Nodosaur posted:

and how do you explain that Ditto shows up worldwide, naturally?
trainers bring ditto over to breed because they're useful and then they escape and undergo mitosis or w/e, obviously

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

qnqnx posted:

Ditto fucks but will never feel the experience of having its own children. A doomed species that will never spawn more of their own.

Yet you can still get a virtually endless number of them in almost every game. I think the only games where you need to trade for a Ditto is Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum and XD. Four out of 32 Pokemon games.

Where all these Pokémon come from is probably one of the biggest mysteries yet no one bothers to ask. How does 16 X 16 patch of grass contain potentially millions of Pokémon?

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 13, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

anybody wanna help me evolve a Haunter? my Switch friend code is 3354-3650-5719, shoot me a PM if you can help!

that scene in Lavender Town with Cubone and Marowak was so good

funny enough I need a Kadabra evolved as well, sent you a request

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
praise Arceus and their beneficence

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Yet you can still get a virtually endless number of them in almost every game. I think the only games where you need to trade for a Ditto is Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum and XD. Four out of 32 Pokemon games.

Where all these Pokémon come from is probably one of the biggest mysteries yet no one bothers to ask. How does 16 X 16 patch of grass contain potentially millions of Pokémon?

Arceus works in mysterious ways.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

DLC Inc posted:

funny enough I need a Kadabra evolved as well, sent you a request

Cool, I'm online right now. my link code is I guess, Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Nodosaur posted:

and how do you explain that Ditto shows up worldwide, naturally?

this post just made me realize Ditto not being in Galar would loving suckkk

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Shneak posted:

this post just made me realize Ditto not being in Galar would loving suckkk

Ditto is probably one of the easiest characters to animate and one of the most popular Pokémon. It would be incredibly surprising if it wasn't in the game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pidgeot is bad because it's an early game 'mon from Gen I, and they expected you to abandon it as soon as something better came along (in this case Dodrio and then probably one of the legendary birds or Aerodactyl).

It wasn't until Gen III that they starting making early route birds actually be good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was? I like Swellow but I thought the first one to be considered viable in its own generation was Staraptor.

Gen III was all about stall and Swellow just doesn't have the power to break walls; and what's more, status orbs didn't exist back then to activate Guts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Swellow was in the "designed for double battles" group of Gen 3.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Nodosaur posted:

It was? I like Swellow but I thought the first one to be considered viable in its own generation was Staraptor.

Gen III was all about stall and Swellow just doesn't have the power to break walls; and what's more, status orbs didn't exist back then to activate Guts.

It's UUBL which is more almost viable but yeah Skarm/Tress especially just stops it from working. Either way it puts it leagues ahead of Pidgeot and Noctowl and still pretty far above Fearow

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waterfall of Salt posted:

It's UUBL which is more almost viable but yeah Skarm/Tress especially just stops it from working. Either way it puts it leagues ahead of Pidgeot and Noctowl and still pretty far above Fearow

Yeah, this. Swellow still isn't great but it has a gimmick and when it works, it hits pretty hard, and it's got great speed too. It's a huge step-up from Gen I and Gen II's birds, even if it wasn't on Staraptor's level.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not talking about Swellow now, I'm talking about Swellow then. In Gen III it just didn't seem like he had all the tools that modern Swellow has to pull his own weight, as those particular items didn't exist yet.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not talking about Swellow now, I'm talking about Swellow then. In Gen III it just didn't seem like he had all the tools that modern Swellow has to pull his own weight.

It didn't have all the tools it has now, but it still had tools, is what I'm saying. Pidgeot and Fearow and Noctowl didn't really have anything going for them, but Swellow at least had Guts + Facade in it's favor. It was a large step up from before. :shrug:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just doesn't seem very reliable. But I guess it is a step up from the combination of Keen Eye and lovely stats.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not talking about Swellow now, I'm talking about Swellow then. In Gen III it just didn't seem like he had all the tools that modern Swellow has to pull his own weight, as those particular items didn't exist yet.

So did I. It was UUBL in gen3, but also UUBL was large as hell in gen3.

EDIT: that said it's biggest problem was still that Dodrio was more reliable and I'm not sure if having the orbs would have helped with that

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 14, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Notice that none of those statements mentioning anything about the most important part of cloning, which is inserting an embryo. Everything in those entries still fits the explanation that they did stuff to Mew, and Mewtwo was the result of it.

If Mewtwo were a clone, they'd actually have it be said that it's a clone. It's not like the anime is afraid of throwing the word around, so why would the games pull their punches on it?

Within Red and Green, there's seven months between the naming of Mew and the birth of Mewtwo. It isn't Mew who was tampered with - explicitly, the offspring of Mew is the only thing tampered with, as per the Pokedex entries. The diary only states, another seven months later, that the Pokémon Mewtwo is far too powerful.
The author laments it cannot be controlled.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That still doesn't sound like it involves anything that can be considered cloning

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You take a zygote, you suck the DNA out of the nucleus, you insert the DNA of the organism you want to clone, you implant the zygote into the surrogate mother for gestation. Cloning and birth can go together.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It's not noteworthy to point out its DNA is similar to Mew's if it is merely a child of the species. Since Mew cannot naturally breed, it must be assumed that Mew had been somehow impregnated artificially, with said embryo being manipulated into the vicious state. This would be a clone. Origins confirms this depending on how you interpret that in relation to the games.

Game Freak believed having Pokemon outright stated to be clones was too controversial around the GS era, which would likely have been the case in the RB era as well. An interview with a magazine confirms this. The intent is there in all but writing for Mewtwo throughout the games.

The ironic thing is that we all truly learned about cloning through the PC glitch in Gold and Silver.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lazy_Liberal posted:

lol i was looking for an intense picture of pidgeot and found this pudgy pidgey

:kimchi:

More pudgy Pokemons please

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I doubt 90s gamefreak knew exactly what dna was outside of dope scifi story tools

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I doubt 90s gamefreak knew exactly what dna was outside of dope scifi story tools

DNA and its role in reproduction is not exactly obscure cutting-edge biology, even in the 90s.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Pokémon Red and Blue were developed during the the time when Jurassic Park was hugely popular, so that had a huge influence on how genetics work within the Pokémon universe.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I acknowledge it's a little late to be complaining about it, but having just started a re-play of X I'm peeved we're never getting Z Version. I want to race on the Rhydon race-course dammit! The plot is practically taunting me with how it's meant to have a Platinum style re-write. Every three feet there's an empty spot with a "Reserved for Z Version Content" sign put up. It's maddening. No other gen was so blatantly designed with a third version in mind, yet it's the one that doesn't get it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

I acknowledge it's a little late to be complaining about it, but having just started a re-play of X I'm peeved we're never getting Z Version. I want to race on the Rhydon race-course dammit! The plot is practically taunting me with how it's meant to have a Platinum style re-write. Every three feet there's an empty spot with a "Reserved for Z Version Content" sign put up. It's maddening. No other gen was so blatantly designed with a third version in mind, yet it's the one that doesn't get it.

Was it ever explained why they didn't go through with this? I remember not particularly caring because Lysandre didn't really thrill me as a villain but I do agree Z teasers are all over the loving place.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I guess they wanted all hands on deck for Sun and Moon, which was basically being released during Pokémon's 20th anniversary. So they moved Zygarde's plot from Gen 6 and awkwardly placed it in Sun and Moon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zuzie posted:

I guess they wanted all hands on deck for Sun and Moon, which was basically being released during Pokémon's 20th anniversary. So they moved Zygarde's plot from Gen 6 and awkwardly placed it in Sun and Moon.

Basically this yeah. It's pretty obvious they were working on Z, or at least in the early stages of it, and then had to cancel/changed their minds for the twentieth anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vandar posted:

Basically this yeah. It's pretty obvious they were working on Z, or at least in the early stages of it, and then had to cancel/changed their minds for the twentieth anniversary.

Why else would the special gimmick be called “Z-moves” or Zygarde get its form gimmick in a set of games with nothing to do with its supposed trio partners. There’s also all the mysteriously incomplete areas of Kalos that never get used. That and the weak story of the Kalos games never getting much resolved.