Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

latinotwink1997 posted:

Probably as much as the piano cost.

Lol, no. It's just a 4 bed 2.5 bath colonial with larger than average rooms, not some kind of mansion, Mc or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
^^piano playing is awesome, if you have kids and they are part of the 4 playing encourage them to keep it up. Its one of the few things I quit after a lot of playing that I wish I didn't.

I hate everything about this picture/room/probably house but I really, really love the curve that staircase makes and how it gets wider at the bottom and how it turns back ever so slightly

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

^^piano playing is awesome, if you have kids and they are part of the 4 playing encourage them to keep it up. Its one of the few things I quit after a lot of playing that I wish I didn't.

Yeah, I started on piano late (in high school) and wish I started earlier. Both of my kids are pretty into learning now and the youngest is using an ipad app that teaches you how to play - it uses the mic to make sure you get it right, speeds up or slows down based on how you are doing, etc. It's an amazingly much easier way to learn than what I went through. Like with me, they already play other instruments and have for a while, so this isn't all new territory/need to learn to read music and everything. Makes for some immediate gratification.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Yes, I have one, so guillotine me. But all four people in this house play it. The thing is used at least daily, but we're just weird music people over here.

Always cool to hear about someone with a piano that actually uses it. How long is yours? There's a lot of variation on size for both types but the largest grands are much heavier than the largest uprights, and the smallest uprights are lighter than the smallest grands, so there's your overlapping bell curves. And if you actually play piano for work, for fun, for finger exercises or whatever then you are fully justified in getting whatever piano suits your taste and needs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a baby grand as an instrument; it represents a small sacrifice in function over form which is why concert halls don't use them but for a private residence they're great.

I'm just pointing out the eternal irony of people who's entire decorating motif is "look how rich I loving am" buying an expensive piano as a wealth-display, but going with the smallest and cheapest model. It's like getting an Aston Martin and going with the vinyl seats.

And I've babbled about pianos enough. THREAD CHALLENGE: post an opulent interior that you like. Luxurious, baroque, ornate, maximalist, horror vacui. None of that minimalist modernism everyone is so enamored with. 'I couldn't live here, but wow' entries are fine.' For example-

Welcome to the lair of Malibu Barbie vampire queen.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I started on piano late (in high school) and wish I started earlier. Both of my kids are pretty into learning now and the youngest is using an ipad app that teaches you how to play - it uses the mic to make sure you get it right, speeds up or slows down based on how you are doing, etc. It's an amazingly much easier way to learn than what I went through. Like with me, they already play other instruments and have for a while, so this isn't all new territory/need to learn to read music and everything. Makes for some immediate gratification.

What app is this?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

Always cool to hear about someone with a piano that actually uses it. How long is yours? There's a lot of variation on size for both types but the largest grands are much heavier than the largest uprights, and the smallest uprights are lighter than the smallest grands, so there's your overlapping bell curves. And if you actually play piano for work, for fun, for finger exercises or whatever then you are fully justified in getting whatever piano suits your taste and needs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a baby grand as an instrument; it represents a small sacrifice in function over form which is why concert halls don't use them but for a private residence they're great.

It's an L so 5'10". It's considered a grand because it has full length strings, but to fit in a case that size the bass strings are at an angle and overlap above the mids. You don't get the full on top-open resonance of a 9' concert grand, but that would be super overpowering in anything that's much less than a concert hall of course.

there wolf posted:

I'm just pointing out the eternal irony of people who's entire decorating motif is "look how rich I loving am" buying an expensive piano as a wealth-display, but going with the smallest and cheapest model. It's like getting an Aston Martin and going with the vinyl seats.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just being snarky because....well, it's SA and I know how this goes.

Edit:

Bad Munki posted:

What app is this?

Simply Piano

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simply-piano-by-joytunes/id1019442026

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
So...where do player pianos fall on the scale?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rosemont posted:

So...where do player pianos fall on the scale?

Almost every new or rebuilt piano is a player piano these days. Outfits like QRS are essentially GIVING their systems away to manufacturers/rebuilders. Why? Piano as a service. Yes, we're there. You pay a subscription fee to access their music library to play on your piano.

(but an old school upright player piano that uses paper scrolls would be bad rear end)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

there wolf posted:

THREAD CHALLENGE: post an opulent interior that you like. Luxurious, baroque, ornate, maximalist, horror vacui. None of that minimalist modernism everyone is so enamored with. 'I couldn't live here, but wow' entries are fine.'

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Cambridge/167-Brattle-St-02138/home/11591090

The old Massachusetts money houses in Cambridge are usually pretty impressive and keep a ton of the house’s character and period details, and this one doesn’t disappoint. Not exactly what I’d want to live in, but that woodwork, stained glass, and porch...

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

For the thread challenge:

GEORGE V Private Royal Suite | © STRAIGHTLINE Interiors

If I could have a house that's baroque romantic red velvet and silks, I would. Look at that. TWO CHANDELIERS! And they are placed properly, not askew or whatever. I'd also want to be a vampire.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I was poking around Zillow in my state and I think I found the motherlode of mismatched mcmansion interior. Mind there's like 50 pictures so I'm only showing the best stuff.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

And for the thread challenge, idk if this is 'opulent' in the way you meant, but

I'm actually really digging this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Two kitchen islands? :eyepop: A kitchen archipelago.

This seems like a functional, useful indulgence if you have the money. Laundry day takes 1/3 the time, which would be great. And you're never stuck with a laundry emergency because the drat washer broke when you have 2 other washers.

If I didn't live in a 400 square foot apartment I'd love to have all those laundry machines. Instead of, you know, sharing a single washer and drier with the 20 other people who live on my floor.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That feels like a house with staff, which to be fair is the biggest opulence I can think of.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana

I dig old antebellum stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PetraCore posted:

I was poking around Zillow in my state and I think I found the motherlode of mismatched mcmansion interior. Mind there's like 50 pictures so I'm only showing the best stuff.

Most of these rooms individually aren't bad and maybe even almost pretty good, but all in the same house it's a bit odd. I wonder if it was a decorator showhouse thing and that's when they photographed it?

Thread Challenge:
Most any English country house would suffice, but this one from Robert Adam (Harewood House) is really doing it for me. Give me some deep rich colors please. I love the yellow wallpapers, and scarlet damask silk with lots of gold and green marble is and fancy plasterwork is hard to beat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 13, 2019

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

PetraCore posted:

And for the thread challenge, idk if this is 'opulent' in the way you meant, but

I'm actually really digging this?

oooooooo

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Construction Site Chic?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thread Challenge:
Most any English country house would suffice, but this one from Robert Adam (Harewood House) is really doing it for me. Give me some deep rich colors please. I love the yellow wallpapers, and scarlet damask silk with lots of gold and green marble is and fancy plasterwork is hard to beat.

Having been in places like that, I'd say those are more reluctant museums than anything else.

I appreciate that the sliding glass panels mean you can use the Hannibal Lecter isolation chamber as a multi-use space.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

there wolf posted:

And I've babbled about pianos enough. THREAD CHALLENGE: post an opulent interior that you like. Luxurious, baroque, ornate, maximalist, horror vacui. None of that minimalist modernism everyone is so enamored with. 'I couldn't live here, but wow' entries are fine.' For example-

Ok, have some Charleston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1GuYoCGMg

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Chandeliers for every room!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Could it be any more opulent?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

latinotwink1997 posted:

It's a colonial era house! You had to put the candles somewhere!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

mutata posted:

Construction Site Chic?

sand.

everywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's one way to keep your in-laws from visiting. Make your home aggressively hostile to anyone with imperfect mobility.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's one way to keep your in-laws from visiting. Make your home aggressively hostile to anyone with imperfect mobility.

It’ll guarantee no on in the home drinks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Looking at this drat thing a little more I get the feeling that, dumb sandbox floor aside, it looks like it was purpose-built new construction intended to look like a repurposed warehouse. If it is actually a repurposed warehouse it is still offensive, but if my supposition is correct then this is truly an abomination.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

wanna accidentally step on that potted plant when alighting from the chair chamber

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why is there a ladder in the kitchen?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think it's going for that Salton Sea vibe. Contemporary Salton Sea. It's, like, we-live-in-a-house-the-desert-is-attempting-to-reclaim-from-man's-hubris-chic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Having been in places like that, I'd say those are more reluctant museums than anything else.

Oh yeah I don't think they were/are particularly comfortable looking places to live in, but they are awfully nice to look at.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is there a ladder in the kitchen?
Probably goes to a sleeping loft or god knows what. Given how obtuse everything else is, that's probably where the only bathroom in the house is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Given how obtuse everything else is, that's probably where the only bathroom in the house is.

Half bath. The other half is behind a hatch buried somewhere under the sand. Under one of those stone tiles maybe? Who knows, you'll have to solve this puzzle first if you want to open it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans are like different facets of the same jewel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt0WoO7cZJ8

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm liking the S.S. Kresge mansion.
https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/6/10/18660154/s-s-kresge-mansion-for-sale-boston-edison

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

14 bedrooms but only 6 bathrooms? How primitive.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Russia is kinda cheating but have some Russian subway stations. I took photos of most of these same places.
https://fotostrasse.com/st-petersburg-metro/
https://fotostrasse.com/moscow-subway-facts/

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood was ridiculous rainbow and gold inside.
https://fotostrasse.com/church-of-the-savior-on-spilled-blood/

AVTOVO Station, St. Petersburg

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 14, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Russia is kinda cheating but have some Russian subway stations. I took photos of most of these same places.
https://fotostrasse.com/st-petersburg-metro/
https://fotostrasse.com/moscow-subway-facts/

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood was ridiculous rainbow and gold inside.
https://fotostrasse.com/church-of-the-savior-on-spilled-blood/

AVTOVO Station, St. Petersburg

Why is it cheating? Everyone else went for colonial stuff, so it's nice to get a change of pace. I love the subway stations and how the ornate Victorian styling mixes with the soviet motifs and art.

Serious Master and the Margarita vibes. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Thread challenge: The kind of opulence I love is Beaux Arts turned up to eleven. Here's Hearst Castle, which owns: