Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Symetrique posted:

idk where i'm going with this build. Did some color modulation with oils and some light staining. I was not happy with the way the AK RC paints went on. The medium sea grey seemed way too dark so I had to do a light coat of Tamiya Sky Grey.

Probably gonna do a very thin gloss coat and follow that with a wash to bring out all of the rivet detail. And paint the red gun tapes too.

Well, I think it's looking pretty slick. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If I'm buying fancy Tamiya nippers, which one do I want? I want a nipper for fine detail work, for general stuff I'm already well supplied.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nebakenezzer posted:

If I'm buying fancy Tamiya nippers, which one do I want? I want a nipper for fine detail work, for general stuff I'm already well supplied.

i have their $20 side cutters and they work pretty well. still nothing on the meng side cutter though, hope they make more of them soon

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i have their $20 side cutters and they work pretty well. still nothing on the meng side cutter though, hope they make more of them soon

The Meng ones are still widely available. They're also just a rebranded ST-A cutter from DSPIAE, and you can often find those ones for even cheaper than the Mengs.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you dont already have a pair of forged nippers (as in, not the stamped steel xurons), then either of the Tamiya Sharp Pointed Side cutters would be an upgrade.

If you want high end nippers, look into single-blade models, like the Meng/Dspaie, Mr Hobby GX, or Godhands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJFYCHfjXYc

Gewehr 43 posted:

Well, I think it's looking pretty slick. :colbert:

Gracias. Oils really feel like the most versatile tool out there sometimes. Now I just need to wait a few days.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Meng ones are still widely available. They're also just a rebranded ST-A cutter from DSPIAE, and you can often find those ones for even cheaper than the Mengs.

hey hey $34 shipped from aliexpress hell yeah. thanks

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, you guys make me feel like a real rear end in a top hat with my Harbor Freight side cutters and pilfered nail files.

I'm finally getting settled into the new house and I think I want to try my hand at a plane. I picked up the Revell A-6E quite a while back but kind of flamed out on it. Didn't even bother bringing it in the move. Any recommendations from you guys for a first plane?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I used wire strippers for a couple of years until I got $12 clippers.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, you guys make me feel like a real rear end in a top hat with my Harbor Freight side cutters and pilfered nail files.

I'm finally getting settled into the new house and I think I want to try my hand at a plane. I picked up the Revell A-6E quite a while back but kind of flamed out on it. Didn't even bother bringing it in the move. Any recommendations from you guys for a first plane?

Tamiya 1/72 kits. If you want an uncomplicated paint scheme, pick any of the newest tool 1/72 Zeroes. The 1/72 P-47 is also great. The 1/72 Bf109E is also an older (cheaper) kit that still builds up nicely too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Seconding Symetrique's recommendation. You've got to work at it to go wrong with a Tamiya 1/72 plane. In particular the Bf 109-G is extremely good, but it's new and popular, so it might be hard to track one down at a reasonable price.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Locator posted:

It's $51 now. Luckily I'm not really into this sort of thing so it's not terribly disappointing that I missed it.

The price usually floats between 80 and 110, fyi.

Would love to know what the hell is caused it to plummet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The price usually floats between 80 and 110, fyi.

Would love to know what the hell is caused it to plummet.

Probably a mistake, and the other shops having their prices fixed to the lowest competitor. I mean, with free shipping they're taking a loss on the shipping alone at the price I paid.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Thanks guys. I'm familiar with Tamiya stuff and if their planes go together like their bikes and cars do, I'm sure I'll be happy. I like the newer stuff so I snagged the 1/72 F-16. $14 on Amazon! Reviews all seem good so I'm excited to tear into it. If it goes well and I enjoy myself, I may splash out a bit on the 1/48 Aggressor version. I really dig the alternate/aggressor paint schemes on the F-15s and 16s, but I think I'll stick with straight out of the box for my first build.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Double check to make sure you picked up the Tamiya 2016 kit, and not the old F-16 kit that was a reboxed italeri.

If the box looks like this, its the italeri kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60701-f-16-fighting-falcon--134508

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Symetrique posted:

Double check to make sure you picked up the Tamiya 2016 kit, and not the old F-16 kit that was a reboxed italeri.

If the box looks like this, its the italeri kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60701-f-16-fighting-falcon--134508

Kit 60786 - new tooling in 2014.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60786-lockheed-martin-f-16cj-block-50-fighting-falcon--258689

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Nice!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Aaw Amazon refunded my Rex after the shipping email. :(

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ijyt posted:

Aaw Amazon refunded my Rex after the shipping email. :(

Yup mine too

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Boooo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mine isn't refunded, and I ordered before anyone posted. I've got a smug emote cautiously ready to go.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Mine isn't refunded, and I ordered before anyone posted. I've got a smug emote cautiously ready to go.

Wow why werent you the first one to post then?

:thunk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Symetrique posted:

Wow why werent you the first one to post then?

:thunk:

Because I was super, super drunk when a friend texted and pointed it out to me. I didn't think of posting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of Amazon and eBay purchases will show as shipped when the seller prints the label, don’t believe it until the tracking information says it’s been dropped off at the post office or otherwise shows motion.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Just saw this on another site; it's from the 1/32 SWS Ki-45.

Yes, those are pistons. No, you will never see them again after you stick those halves together.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
So that's why those kits are 3x more expensive than everyone else.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
No articulated pushrods, no buy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

grassy gnoll posted:

No articulated pushrods, no buy.

Re-make those parts from scratch with brass and articulate them. Easy peasy.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So that's why those kits are 3x more expensive than everyone else.

Their new 1/72 + 1/144 Ho 229 is $39.

Seems pretty steep but uh, it has a full interior

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Well gently caress I didn't know I needed that in my life but here we are.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Was looking through prime day stuff; the Bandai AT-AT is one of the upcoming deals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/r...9290310&ie=UTF8

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My cats kept stealing and playing with the tank treads from my Tamiya T-34, so now I'm finally painting it this morning. Only done gunpla so far, so this ought to be a trip. Also managed to finish something small/dumb, inspired by Star Trek:

It's a little golden Death Star 2! Thinking of doing the rest of these tiny Star Wars ships like this.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 15, 2019

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
drat, missed out on the AT-AT. Though the bandai TIE Fighter is on sale for the next 5 hours and 45 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RYSAWVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JpHlDbNACE0CQ

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

BOGO LOAD posted:

drat, missed out on the AT-AT. Though the bandai TIE Fighter is on sale for the next 5 hours and 45 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RYSAWVS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JpHlDbNACE0CQ

Dang it. Now I have a tie fighter on the way. Oh whelp.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

everythingWasBees posted:

Anybody know any good 1:100 figures? It seems to be a bit of an odd scale for scale modeling stuff.

I've only just seen this but I have a load of 15mm stuff if you wanted to see?

poo poo sorry is that a lot smaller? I did have some 6mm but lost it in the annuals of time.

big_g fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 16, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
And now the weathering can begin in earnest. :)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of weathering:

Full album

The kit seems to be a pretty old resin kit. Fit was terrible, and it was incomplete, so I had to make up for the missing parts as much as I could. All the engine deck components were scratch built, the deck is pretty barren in the original. Overall it was an interesting experience, I didn't expect this one to come out to be a masterpiece, it was really just practice with destroyed tanks for my PzIV.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

And now the weathering can begin in earnest. :)

How are you gonna weather it more?

Ensign Expendable posted:

The kit seems to be a pretty old resin kit. Fit was terrible, and it was incomplete, so I had to make up for the missing parts as much as I could. All the engine deck components were scratch built, the deck is pretty barren in the original. Overall it was an interesting experience, I didn't expect this one to come out to be a masterpiece, it was really just practice with destroyed tanks for my PzIV.

:france:

Did you mask off the black parts of the camo, or paint that by hand? I've been wanting to do a 1/72 French tank but their camo looks annoying to paint.

Really nice job though, way to make the most out of a bad situation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I did the same scheme on a warhams tank at one point and it's easiest to just do the big patches and then freehand the black line between them. They weren't consistently spaced in reality, so it's worth making it messy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Symetrique posted:

How are you gonna weather it more?

:france:

Did you mask off the black parts of the camo, or paint that by hand? I've been wanting to do a 1/72 French tank but their camo looks annoying to paint.

Really nice job though, way to make the most out of a bad situation.

I used a black paint marker for the black lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Lurker here, how's the Scharnhorst coming along?