Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
whatever else keeps the elite boat afloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Why does my arm shake
and turn bright red
when im reading thread

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
all poetry after Instagram is barbaric

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think Rupi Kaur has shown great growth since expanding her poems from a 140 character limit to 280.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 13, 2019

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I think Rupi Kaur has shown great growth since expanding her poems from a 140 character limit to 280.

you must have a
honeycomb
for a heart
how else
could a man
be this sweet

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

now im doing it myself :(

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 13, 2019

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I'm glad more and more people are reading the Holy Bible, which counts as poc lit

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lampsacus posted:

I don't know. Having a woman of colour's poetry reach hundreds of thousands/millions in in her lifetime is pretty spectacular. I know it's not real poetry or good poetry or whatever else keeps the elite boat afloat but sorry poetry doesn't resolve around DWM in this case?
"yes but its bad! look! its bad poetry! its poetry for those who like the idea of reading poetry!"
I'd rather a 'bad notpoem' by a woman of colour by 'the masses' than a 'good real poem' by another dead white priv. dude.

I don't know. Having a woman of colour's genocide kill hundreds of thousands/millions in in her lifetime is pretty spectacular. I know genocide is wrong or whatever else keeps the elite boat afloat but sorry politics doesn't resolve around DWM in this case?
"yes but its bad!"
I'd rather a genocide by a woman of colour by 'the masses' than a not genocide by another dead white priv. dude.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
emptiness is
just a concept
fill yourself with light
and discount easter chocolate

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
open your blinds
let in the sun
love with all of your
fragile, damaged heart
but most of all
gas this thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Some very good stuff is or was very popular, what are you even talking about?

Like what?

And I don't meant to say that 'the masses are dumb,' but that the deeper you go, the more different people are. Something can only resonate with the vast majority of people if it does so on a surface level. Things that some people find to be the most profoundly good thing ever are not going to be 'got' by many other people, not because those other people are 'not of the elite' but because everyone is different, and not everybody likes the same things except on the very surface.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CestMoi posted:

the two genders are woman of colour and dead white priv. dude

sweet, finally I am become intersectional

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

derp posted:

Like what?

And I don't meant to say that 'the masses are dumb,' but that the deeper you go, the more different people are. Something can only resonate with the vast majority of people if it does so on a surface level. Things that some people find to be the most profoundly good thing ever are not going to be 'got' by many other people, not because those other people are 'not of the elite' but because everyone is different, and not everybody likes the same things except on the very surface.

I'm not even going to bother trying to come up with a list, but a ton of stuff that is considered "canonical" or "great" was moderately to very popular in its time. Dude, loving Shakespeare was popular. There was also bad stuff that was popular and good stuff that was unpopular but I don't think this basic thesis holds any water. Isn't this a dumb David Foster Wallace idea?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A lot of great authors were popular in their time, Mishima was popular, it's just that nowadays most people hardly read so it's hard to find people who are still into those authors, but that wasn't always the way it was.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
All my ideas have been had by others before I'm sure, yes.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

derp posted:

Like what?

Nabokov sold a ton of books, so did Umberto Eco, Norman Mailer, Fitzgerald... Camus and Sartre were superstars in their time. Earlier than that, you had Tolstoy, Dickens, Zola and many others who were good writers and very popular.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Not to forget the Nobel prize winner Bob Dylan who is literally touring the world!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Don Quixote

Huckleberry Finn

Freedom

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

derp posted:

Like what?

The Qur'an

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

didn’t also ppl like Walt Whitman and Robert Frost become a public mainstay?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The best thing about reading a second hand book with stuff highlighted or underlined in it is when it all mysteriously stops halfway through the book

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

didn’t also ppl like Walt Whitman and Robert Frost become a public mainstay?

robert frost is bad tho

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i prefer the term “not the best, but”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fridge corn posted:

The best thing about reading a second hand book with stuff highlighted or underlined in it is when it all mysteriously stops halfway through the book

I regret not buying a copy of The King in Yellow I found in which someone had annotated the pages with highlighters, written over and circled drat near every third word with a line going into the margins with insightful commentary like "!!!" or "reference to (something earlier in the story)???"

Ten pages in, and the rest of the book was clean as the day it was printed.

It took me six months but I finally finished Don Quixote this morning. I read the Penguin Classics translation by Cohen and found it quite readable and a lot funnier than I was expecting it to be. It's pretty rare that I finish a book and find myself actually missing the characters in it, but I definitely feel that way. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending of it; the sudden deathbed turn Don Quixote makes, declaring himself sane again and rejecting chivalry, seems a bit unsatisfying if a bit amusing in the sense that all of a sudden the people of La Mancha, who up to then had spent the whole book trying to dissuade him of his opinions on knighthood were now trying to do the opposite. The entire ending was very abrupt since Don Quixote is felled by Sampson Carrasco nearly 100 pages before the book actually ends and Cervantes seemed so unwilling to let go of the characters that he had to squeeze in one more prank from the Duke and Duchess before Don Quixote and Sancho even got close to returning to the village.

Edit: here you go, have the worst take on Don Quixote ever from a libertarian nutjob site

Apparently Don Quixote is the first "anti race-based slavery novel" (their emphasis, whatever that means) and their evidence for this is that 1) Cervantes was enslaved for a period of his life and 2) Sancho Panza at one point fantasizes about "selling all of the people of Ethiopia into slavery" which isn't quite right. Apparently Sancho's rear end and his brief disappearance is a reference to The Golden rear end, which I don't really buy, but I wonder why he chose that scene as evidence and not the scene where Don Quixote encounters some galley slaves being led by their slave traders, hears why they were enslaved and then literally frees them

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 14, 2019

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lampsacus posted:

I don't know. Having a woman of colour's poetry reach hundreds of thousands/millions in in her lifetime is pretty spectacular. I know it's not real poetry or good poetry or whatever else keeps the elite boat afloat but sorry poetry doesn't resolve around DWM in this case?
"yes but its bad! look! its bad poetry! its poetry for those who like the idea of reading poetry!"
I'd rather a 'bad notpoem' by a woman of colour by 'the masses' than a 'good real poem' by another dead white priv. dude.
Still can't get over how spectacular it is that a woman who isn't white can write popular poetry 50 years after Maya Angelou. We've come such a long way.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 15, 2019

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Kamala Harris 2020.

Just finished Javier Marias's A Heart So White, which is real good, but this chump could sure loves to "tell, not show", completely ignoring the natural and non-ideological evolution of literature.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Every time I check into this thread everyone's arguing about the identities of writers or their politics and boy, it's no wonder why the word is dying on the vine with people like you acting as its guardians. Jesus

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

CestMoi posted:

robert frost is bad tho

Actually, if you read you'll find that Frost is good and an antidote to the lovely irony we've all become useless slaves to

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i realize that it takes all kinds to make a world, and that i must look to the beam in my eye etc etc, but i am going to go back in time to commit brutal violence upon robert frost

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Squashing Machine posted:

Every time I check into this thread everyone's arguing about the identities of writers or their politics and boy, it's no wonder why the word is dying on the vine with people like you acting as its guardians. Jesus

Every time i check in people are smugly saying the annotations in their book ran out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Anyway, i don't think goons are killing literacy. I bet it's the proliferation of television and then smart phones.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

More people are literate and reading books than ever though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ebook killed the paperback star :sad:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Every time i check in people are smugly saying the annotations in their book ran out.

it is pretty funny when annotations suddenly stops halfway through though. I've seen that a few times in books I've borrowed from the library

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Squashing Machine posted:

Actually, if you read you'll find that Frost is good and an antidote to the lovely irony we've all become useless slaves to

i used to be an irony addict with no opinions but then i read robert frosts poem about arbitrarily choosing a path and then claiming you chose the cool one and now i'm ready to bring down the trump presidency

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

also,nearly everyone that claims some kind of high ground in which they are a return to sincerity from our decadent ironic ways has turned out to be a rapist so maybe don't be into those people.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

obviously frost came a bit too early to be actively doing that, but the current artistic desire for a post ironic new sincerity has a roughly 1:1 correlation with being an actual rapist

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
On The Natural History of Destruction is just unbelievably good. You'd think I'd be able to believe how good Sebald's books are by now, but nope, still can't.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Some books I read on vacation:

Mac's Problem by Vila-Matas — very much like other Vila-Matas novels, chill and funny

Hold Fast Your Crown by Yannick Haenel — very funny and good, about an unhinged French author trying to find Michael Cimino to direct his 700-page manuscript on the life of Herman Melville ("the honey-combed brain of Melville")

Hear Our Defeats by Laurent Gaudé — a bit too much sentiment perhaps, but stylish and a bit interesting. Reminds me of Enard's Zone but without the manic voice.

I started reading The Gallows Pole by Benjamin Myers but I thought the prose was too purple.

I just got the FSG short story collection of Gerald Murnane and I'm excited to read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

derp posted:

On The Natural History of Destruction is just unbelievably good. You'd think I'd be able to believe how good Sebald's books are by now, but nope, still can't.

I don't remember who raved about Rings of Saturn like a hundred pages ago but I read it back then and reread it just recently and it is absolutely astonishing how good he is. That final passage (that starts "Today, as I bring these notes to a conclusion") might be the most moving thing I've ever read.