Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played the poo poo out of Crimson Shroud and didn't stop til I finished it which took two? three? playthroughs and I almost never play games more than once. It was super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Guild games thing they did was a really cool concept. Would be nice that concept done again on Switch.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Which of the 3DS Mario RPGs should I get for a trip if I've never played any of them? I enjoyed SMRPG and the original Paper Mario back in the day.

e: or, ah, poo poo, maybe I should get NSMB2 and Robobot

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robobot is fantastic. You can't go wrong with the Superstar Saga remake either.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Which of the 3DS Mario RPGs should I get for a trip if I've never played any of them? I enjoyed SMRPG and the original Paper Mario back in the day.

e: or, ah, poo poo, maybe I should get NSMB2 and Robobot

Definitely the Superstar Saga remake. A lot of people that worked on SMRPG worked on it. Geno was even in the original version as a cameo in one of the minigames but they sadly removed him from the remake. Other than that little missing Easter egg, the remake is superior.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I wish the Superstar Saga remake wasn't rear end ugly compared to the original because it has a lot of stuff that's better :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it looks fine. It loses some of the off-model weirdness of the original but still looks great in the style of Dream Team.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the remake's art style. I think it's gorgeous.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the remake's art style. I think it's gorgeous.

I like both styles but the awful GBA sound font guarantees that I’d never go back to the original now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

friends, never apologize for sharing your game experiences here. i enjoy reading them and hope to one day also share my own

Well, after choking down the last few chapters of Awakenings (gosh I hated this game) and beating it I took a short break and played Super Mario Land 1 and 2. 1 isn't much of a game, but it has an amazing little soundtrack for as few songs there are. 2 on the other hand is a shockingly big and complete, if easy game, I had forgotten how much I missed the music in the Star Zone. I'll get to 3 soon enough?

What happened is I saw the trailer for DQ 11 during E3, and decided I was going to try one of these games. I took Xenoblade Chronicles which I could barely get into out of its cartridge spot and put in DQ 8. And it's just been a joy.

First it's cool that a PS2 game is running on this thing, secondly I never expected DQ to be such food for the soul. It's such a pleasant game to play and experience. There's nothing I don't recognize, from having played JRPGs for so long, but it's so pleasant and nice to grind a bit, and beat up monsters. It makes me really look forward to one day getting 11. My 3DS is my sleep and travel system and honestly I'm glad I still have it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I guess I just like the GBA's 2D style more, the remake's almost 2.5d style. The game is great either way!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I'd say going with either version of Superstar Saga is fine. You're still getting a good experience either way. I would just recommend picking up the DS version of Bowser's Inside Story instead of the 3DS version if you can, because the 3DS version has quite a few technical issues that can get in the way of stuff. Like each battle takes around 6 seconds to load. Considering how many battles you have to go through in a Mario RPG, that really adds up. And special attacks can flat out cause slowdown, despite 3D being completely disabled for the game.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 12, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, the DS version of BIS is definitely the way to go. What a waste of time porting that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This conversation got me to check out the mario wiki on the remake and it seems like, technical problems aside, it's pretty worthwhile actually. The extra bowser jr mode seems to have a large amount of love put into it, with an involved story that cleverly interweaves the main plot and some great new music. I might actually play this someday.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

This conversation got me to check out the mario wiki on the remake and it seems like, technical problems aside, it's pretty worthwhile actually. The extra bowser jr mode seems to have a large amount of love put into it, with an involved story that cleverly interweaves the main plot and some great new music. I might actually play this someday.

Imo youtube the bowser jr story. While I love what they do story wise, the gameplay is super weak.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you've played the Bowser's Minions part of the Superstar Saga remake, the "gameplay" in Bowser Jr.'s Journey is barely improved over that. If you haven't played that, it's just an incredibly passive game mode where you watch things happen and occasionally interact with the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Imo youtube the bowser jr story. While I love what they do story wise, the gameplay is super weak.
I mean it's not just that, they also made the game look (imo) and sound better, made some mechanical tweaks here and there, and it's a great game that I haven't played since it came out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Y'all saying the 3DS is dead, I wanna remind you that Shakedown Hawaii is coming out this month. It's on the Switch but I want it on the 3DS to compliment the excellent port of Retro City Rampage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

It may be dead, but I have plenty of games in my backlog still to finish! Right now I'm working on SMTIV.

Games are good. Vive la 3DS!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It might be dead, but it also revitalized my love for both the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei franchises, in spite of several of the 3DS games' issues, so for that I'm grateful. :)

Silver Falcon posted:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The m&l convo has inspired me to restart Paper Jam (Bros.) which I never finished. I think when i originally played i must've had series fatigue still from Dream Team (Bros.) which drags itself out sooo longgg. This game is pretty good! I forgot how much i enjoy the combat in these games!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wark Say posted:

It might be dead, but it also revitalized my love for both the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei franchises, in spite of several of the 3DS games' issues, so for that I'm grateful. :)

Thanks to the inclusion of the Hero in Smash it's been my introduction into Dragon Quest, and I don't know how I ever missed these games. I'd only played Rocket Slime before, which yes was really fun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A-loving-men, brother. :hfive:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Silver Falcon posted:

It may be dead, but I have plenty of games in my backlog still to finish! Right now I'm working on SMTIV.

I have a pile of Fire Emblem over here to play still, plus at least one DS Dragon Quest.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks to the inclusion of the Hero in Smash it's been my introduction into Dragon Quest, and I don't know how I ever missed these games. I'd only played Rocket Slime before, which yes was really fun.

Oh man, yeah. They're really good! I've only played 8 and 9 myself, but they're both super good and charming! I'm looking forward to 11.

Chronojam posted:

I have a pile of Fire Emblem over here to play still, plus at least one DS Dragon Quest.

I've got Bravely Second still and a bunch of SMT. I also wanted to check out Ever Oasis at some point.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh man, yeah. They're really good! I've only played 8 and 9 myself, but they're both super good and charming! I'm looking forward to 11.

Same. Octopath Traveller sent me on a RPG kick that I don't know how I'll ever finish. I need to finish DQ VIII and 11 looks so good, but I also wanted to play the Bravely's because of Octopath, let alone finally playing the Playstation Final Fantasies for the first time now available on the Switch (after rebeating FF6 on my SNES Mini obviously).

And that's besides all the other games around.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So I have a regular New 3DS, but have come to the conclusion that I could benefit from a larger screen as I don't see as well as I used to even a few years ago. I recently noticed that Nintendo is selling refurb New 3DS XLs for $120 in their online store, which while not a great price (third-party refurbs are going for $100 and eBay straight-up used is obviously cheaper), I've been a fan of Nintendo refurbs and it's considerably cheaper than what they were selling for two years ago. But I can't commit to getting one because, honestly, they're just kind of ugly. The regular New 3DS design is better, as is the New 2DS XL. I actually like the 3D though. I guess this is a complaint post.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

but I also wanted to play the Bravely's because of Octopath,
After holding out since the rumors of a potential Bravely 1+2 remake for the Switch, I broke down and bought both for the 3DS on eBay. So that Switch port is imminent. At least Bravely Second was $13 sealed. They must've printed a ton of those.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hell yeah

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Silver Falcon posted:

I've got Bravely Second still and a bunch of SMT. I also wanted to check out Ever Oasis at some point.

I deemed all those "airplane games" and stopped taking trips for a while, so they're sitting incomplete. Backlog is rough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hot take: All SNES games that got ported to GBA should have been on DS instead.

The same applies to N64 games ported to DS, but I can't think of any beyond Mario 64.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Agreed, I sometimes imagine a world where we got a port of FF6 that was as good as the Chrono Trigger DS port.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. I loved the ports at the time but they're not very good in 2019. Washed out graphics, poo poo sound/music, and the lack of XY buttons comprised a lot of ports.

In my early high school days, I was wanting to start a letter writing campaign to get Chrono Trigger ported to GBA. Boy am I glad they didn't. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack on GBA would be a war crime.

Final Fantasy V and VI would look so slick on my DS shelf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hot take: All SNES games that got ported to GBA should have been on DS instead.

The same applies to N64 games ported to DS, but I can't think of any beyond Mario 64.

Others were ported to the 3DS (Both Zeldas and Star Fox 64).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rayman 2 and Diddy Kong Racing are also on DS, plus there are quite a few PS games on DS, mostly 2D stuff like Disgaea.

There are some PS2 games on DS, even - Flower Sun and Rain, for one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flower Sun and Moon was so weird. I've gotta figure that game out sometime.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Others were ported to the 3DS (Both Zeldas and Star Fox 64).

Yeah, I meant 64 games that were ported to DS. The DS was certainly capable of handling 64 era games, but they would have been smoother and better looking on 3DS, as Zelda and Star Fox show. Mario 64 suffers from the lack of analog and launch era touch gimmick stuff. And the Mario face start screen minigame thing sucked on DS compared to the 64 one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm one of the few people who liked the thumbstrap.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm one of the few people who liked the thumbstrap.
I stand with thumbstrap

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got my launch DS from my friend so I never got to experience the thumbstrap.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RichterIX posted:

Agreed, I sometimes imagine a world where we got a port of FF6 that was as good as the Chrono Trigger DS port.

ah yes i too long for the ff6 port where they add a bunch of extraneous content that implies that ff:TAY is canon and indicates that the world of FF6 will be destroyed by the crystal eater in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The extra content in CT was extraneous but completely optional and never detracted from the core game, which is preserved quite beautifully.

Both the GBA and Steam remakes of FF6 do the original game dirty.