Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Pretty critterful day yesterday. First, the good stuff:

I noticed a bunch of bees in the air when I was walking across a bridge, and it turned out they were congregating on one of the concrete pilings. Not a great place for a hive, ladies, but more power to you.

My dog was really interested in a bush at Dairy Queen and when he got too close this hare limped out and hobbled away. It obviously had a badly broken leg and probably some internal injuries as well. I didn't want to leave it to die in the parking lot so I captured it with the help of a DQ employee and took it to the local wildlife hospital. They weren't optimistic, but at least it will have some measure of comfort and go quickly assuming they euthanize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chinston Wurchill posted:

My dog was really interested in a bush at Dairy Queen and when he got too close this hare limped out and hobbled away. It obviously had a badly broken leg and probably some internal injuries as well. I didn't want to leave it to die in the parking lot so I captured it with the help of a DQ employee and took it to the local wildlife hospital. They weren't optimistic, but at least it will have some measure of comfort and go quickly assuming they euthanize it.

Thank you for doing what you could - that's rough.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:neckbeard:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Did you save him from the road? :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:stonk:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Did you save him from the road? :ohdear:

Yeah I was out herping so I had a snake hook on me and booped him off into the grass

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Colorado checkered whiptail

Side eye from six lined racerunner

Turkey and turklets

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Is this little guy an earwig? I find him under a laundry hamper and rehomed him outside in my bug-movin' cup (pardon the grime- this cup is only for rehoming critters). He's so neat!

This new phone also takes surprisingly good zoom pictures :gonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
of all things, out of nowhere an Antlion showed up flitting around the light in my room. They're really lazy fliers, or this one was lethargic, but it was super easy to catch and release outside. really neat how the wings unfold into two horizontally on top and two diagonally out to the sides below, but when landed fold up neatly on its back.

Freakbox posted:

Is this little guy an earwig? I find him under a laundry hamper and rehomed him outside in my bug-movin' cup (pardon the grime- this cup is only for rehoming critters). He's so neat!

This new phone also takes surprisingly good zoom pictures :gonk:

earwigs are so obnoxious. they're harmless, but they just like to chill out in every single crevice outside and sometimes inside, there's always half a dozen of them in my mailbox for whatever reason.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

earwigs are so obnoxious. they're harmless, but they just like to chill out in every single crevice outside and sometimes inside, there's always half a dozen of them in my mailbox for whatever reason.

They always seemed to love getting in to the tea brewing kit when we were camping. The memories of finding drowned, tea infused bodies at the bottom of my mug still makes me wretch.

Been starting to study local lizard populations (Lacerta Bilineata). I live on an island which is one of the most north-westerly parts of Europe where they are found. They have been isolated from the European continent for about 8000 years and show some local variation from the ones I see in neighbouring Brittany, typically growing smaller and the females being brighter and less striped.

A mix of overdevelopment and preponderance of domestic cats has lead to the entire population being squeezed in to what may turn out to be just a few acres of land on our south east cliffs.

Also found some cute baby Garden Warbler chicks in the bushes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'll never forget the day I discovered earwigs because there was an old moped at my grandparents' house when I was a kid for me and my cousins to drive around the farm, and once I went back to fire it up and when I touched it earwigs started pouring out from under the seat. It seemed like thousands pouring out for the longest but it probably wasn't all that bad. They didn't try to wig my ears or anything

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Spotted a porcupine on my morning run yesterday which is always a highlight of my day.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Recent critters from central Arkansas:

Someone left a cup of Wendy's chili in the parking lot, and these crows(?) loved it.

I also stumbled upon a bunny and squirrel playing together!

I found this lizard in the laundromat, but when I took the picture, it ran through a hole in the wall into the utility room. What is it?

I planted an onion this spring just to see what would happen. Turns out they grow this ball of tiny beautiful flowers! They attracted this fake bee.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Is there an equivalent thread for plants?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Summer is invertebrate time!

Caught this little lady having a sip after it rained.

I should have included my hand for scale as this was a pretty big one but I didn't want it to touch me. My wife is considering burning down the house.

There's a weird caterpillar rain going on down in our river valley. I went for a walk the other day and there were hundreds of them hanging from the trees on threads, and I was pulling silk off my hair and clothes for the rest of the day.

The post-rain earthworms can be sizeable around here!

Two bees for the price of one!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Two bees for the price of one!

That's actually just one really long bee, digging into the left flower and coming out the right one.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Critters of the sagebrush steppe:

A very sexy wolf spider

Huge rear end banded orb weaver (Argiope trifasciata), I've seen some about the diameter of a softball toe-to-toe.

Common desert centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha)

Horned lizard who decided to sunbathe on our UTV trailer and almost ate rubber at the end of the day. A total dude.

Not sure about these two photos. I didn't see the parents and can't identify birdcalls beyond some raptors, but these are probably sparrows.

Maybe sage thrasher? I doubt it. This big boy was hogging the nest all to himself.

Here's a baby killdeer. These poor things could hardly move through all the dense annual grass and whole families were reliant on using the roads to get around.
https://imgur.com/W3ctbm1

Rattlesnake with a mouthful of field mouse. He was so startled and defenseless that he made a big show with his rattle and quickly shuffled down the side of a bank and rolled into a stream.

It's a poor from-the-truck-window photo and they barely qualify as critters but elk are relatively uncommon in this part of southwest Idaho so this was a good find. This herd was in the ballpark of around 150 individuals.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arctic ground squirrel, Denali National Park, Alaska.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

vortmax posted:

I found this lizard in the laundromat, but when I took the picture, it ran through a hole in the wall into the utility room. What is it?

Sceloporus undulatus, an eastern fence lizard. Pretty common in some areas, males will have bright blue underside flaps that they use to communicate.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Summertime is crittertime!

A botfly! Typically parasitises snouts and mules of moose and deer but in very rare cases they can go for humans.

Necrodes littoralis, rather large carrion beetle.

Thankfully didnt get bit by this beast (horse fly, genus Tabanus).

One of our larger bushcrickets (Decticus verrucivorus).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Falukorv posted:

A botfly! Typically parasitises snouts and mules of moose and deer but in very rare cases they can go for humans.

Reminds me of Cephenemyia ulrichii. It spits gobs of larvae into the nose of mooses where they then live. Some moose get so full of larvae that they suffocate.

And because nature is evil, the flys visual recognition sometimes mistakes the human eye for a moose nose.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Nature :stonk:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
It most probably is Cephenemyia ulrichii. C. stimulator is also a possibility but characters fit C. ulrichii better.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/mrbruff/status/1145060704258416640

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

cool moth I found (Synanthedon arizonensis)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Are there any websites that will tell you what sort of critters may show up in your house?

I saw a spider that I haven’t seen before and I’d like to know what kind it is. Google is useless - several sites assure me that black widows and brown recluses are very common in Washington, DC.

Sorry, didn’t get a pic.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slammy posted:

Are there any websites that will tell you what sort of critters may show up in your house?

I saw a spider that I haven’t seen before and I’d like to know what kind it is. Google is useless - several sites assure me that black widows and brown recluses are very common in Washington, DC.

Sorry, didn’t get a pic.

If you make an account with bugguide.net you can access fairly granular photo data, down to by county iirc. You’ll need to narrow it down a bit more than ‘a spider’ though otherwise you’ll have thousands of entire to look at.

/r/whatsthisbug are pretty sharp most of the time too, they might could help based on a description.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah you are mostly poo poo out of luck without a photo. Sorry.

For photo ID though check out the iNaturalist app.

Slammy posted:

Anything that says that about a brown recluse is bullshitting you.

DC is well within the range of the northern widow (Latrodectus variolus), but "very common" is probably quite generous for an urban environment.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bugs

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
As I was unlocking my front door I was lamenting the lack of orb weavers setting up shop in the light this year. Then I noticed this friend(?) hiding behind the light fixture. (I'm lucky it sat still long enough for two flashes!)

That's a standard brick for scale.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

always hard to be sure without a location but I think Dolomedes tenebrosus? which is a fishing spider, similar to wolf spiders
a big beautiful friend :3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

everywhere i look the last couple of days i see tiny mantises

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

vaguely posted:

always hard to be sure without a location but I think Dolomedes tenebrosus? which is a fishing spider, similar to wolf spiders

I thought it looked like a wolf spider (because I have a bunch of those in the house -- much better than the brown recluses I had before) but the color was all wrong. Thanks! (Location is Central Arkansas)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fishing spiders look similar to wolf spiders, but are from different families (Pisauridae and Lycosidae respectively).

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

poverty goat posted:

everywhere i look the last couple of days i see tiny mantises

This is about the time they'll be hatching in most regions. Get pictures of those beautiful translucent babies.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Fishing spider friend caught a junebug meal tonight
(Central Arkansas, standard brick for scale)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

vaguely posted:

Yup! They're startlingly large and astonishingly well concealed on stone or wood.

vortmax posted:

As I was unlocking my front door I was lamenting the lack of orb weavers setting up shop in the light this year. Then I noticed this friend(?) hiding behind the light fixture. (I'm lucky it sat still long enough for two flashes!)

That's a standard brick for scale.

This pose is actually a really handy one for fishing spider vs wolf spider; the front legs paired and back legs either paired or spread is very characteristic for members of genus Dolomedes at rest. It also makes it easier to notice the strongly striped legs, which wolf spiders tend not to have.

:eng101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 17, 2019

bij
Feb 24, 2007

My parsley plant is once again home to some eastern black swallowtail caterpillars:

Bonus eastern eyed click beetle that jumped at me and played dead:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Potential BFF posted:

Bonus eastern eyed click beetle that jumped at me and played dead:

it looks like mr. hankey