Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Warren Kinsella: Dipshit whisperer and double secret counter intel operative.

It's promising to see that every argument against the Greens ever forming a government is made by the Greens themselves

Elizabeth had to admit that she does not have the sophistication it takes to deal with this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Greens don't give that money to noted scumbag Warren Kinsella, I will accept half his fee to do the same job and tell you to expect attacks along the lines of "you're hippies who believe wifi causes cancer, homeopathy is valid medicine, and the economy is just a state of mind"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Here's What Canada Can Learn From Hamilton, Ont.'s Far-Right Problem

I've been posting about this a lot, but I feel strongly about it. Hamilton is a microcosm of what's to come for the rest of us. I think that by understanding their recent past and present we can get a better grasp of what to expect and how to respond.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
That article is skimpy on details. Is there a better source for info on Hamilton's fascism problem, or is a molehill being signal boosted into a mountain?

I'm surprised I don't see more stories about anti-FN racism given its proximity to Six Nations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

just another posted:

That article is skimpy on details. Is there a better source for info on Hamilton's fascism problem, or is a molehill being signal boosted into a mountain?

I'm surprised I don't see more stories about anti-FN racism given its proximity to Six Nations.

As someone who's been closely following it since the beginning, I don't think that it's overblown. But, there is a lot of context that makes it hard to summarize. Maybe I should write an essay about it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The catalyst right now was the Pride celebration in June. Nobody can reliably say who caused the fight between the alt-right and antifascists there, but the alt-right beat people with a weapon and made a meme out of it. The following week, the same people came to Toronto Pride and caused a fight in Eaton Center. (Unlike at Hamilton Pride, there's unambiguous evidence that he went to Toronto Pride with the intention of a fight.) This is why I think Hamilton is important to pay attention to: they export their politics to Toronto and other GTA cities. (Before Hamilton Pride, they protested in Brampton.)

Afterward, Hamilton Police started arresting queer antifascists, who've come to be called the Pride Defenders. First and most notably Cedar Hopperton, who had their parole revoked for criticizing the police. A day of action lead to worldwide protests; a demonstration outside the mayor's house lead to the immediate arrest of that person as well.

The city responded to criticism by banning pretty much all kinds of protest. Because of that, anarchists have occupied city hall since Friday and are staying over the weekend. Because of that, the mayor has started to plan for what he literally calls a "Hate Summit" to discuss... the hate against himself. The mayor previously called anarchists terrorists and banned the circle-A as hate speech against police.

Two city councilors, 350 local businesses, 100 academics and the Canadian Civil Liberties Union have shown support for Cedar, and an independent investigation of the police has been called for.

When it comes specifically to the alt-right and their development, these articles scratch the surface:

* Hamilton anarchist space, The Tower, has been vandalized
* Hamilton’s landscape of hate: How far-right extremists are finding fertile ground

xtal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 14, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xtal posted:

The catalyst right now was the Pride celebration in June. Nobody can reliably say who caused the fight between the alt-right and antifascists there, but the alt-right beat people with a weapon and made a meme out of it. The following week, the same people came to Toronto Pride and caused a fight in Eaton Center. (Unlike at Hamilton Pride, there's unambiguous evidence that he went to Toronto Pride with the intention of a fight.) This is why I think Hamilton is important to pay attention to: they export their politics to Toronto and other GTA cities. (Before Hamilton Pride, they protested in Brampton.)

Afterward, Hamilton Police started arresting queer antifascists, who've come to be called the Pride Defenders. First and most notably Cedar Hopperton, who had their parole revoked for criticizing the police. A day of action lead to worldwide protests; a demonstration outside the mayor's house lead to the immediate arrest of that person as well.

The city responded to criticism by banning pretty much all kinds of protest. Because of that, anarchists have occupied city hall since Friday and are staying over the weekend. Because of that, the mayor has started to plan for what he literally calls a "Hate Summit" to discuss... the hate against himself. The mayor previously called anarchists terrorists and banned the circle-A as hate speech against police.

Two city councilors, 350 local businesses, 100 academics and the Canadian Civil Liberties Union have shown support for Cedar, and an independent investigation of the police has been called for.

When it comes specifically to the alt-right and their development, these articles scratch the surface:

* Hamilton anarchist space, The Tower, has been vandalized
* Hamilton’s landscape of hate: How far-right extremists are finding fertile ground

Wasn't Cedar a goon here many years ago?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
the cops will not stop loving with cedar. gently caress em.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zapplez posted:

Wasn't Cedar a goon here many years ago?

AMAB trans anarchist? Very likely.

I was at the City Hall encampment twice today, and I’ve been involved in some community organizing efforts since Pride. Hamilton’s queers are pissed, and for good reason.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

We've had dipshit yellow vesters in front of City Hall each weekend and I've seen Soldiers of Odin downtown. loving right we have a goddamned problem here.

Hamilton police are sufficiently terrible that they once carded our only black city councillor because he was pedestrianing while black.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
On a bright note, I had my civics summer school students do an assignment on Quebecs secularism law and they all thought the law was dumb and used our CoRF to back up their opinion.

On a less bright note in our class of about 30 1 voted conservative and 2 voted peoples party in our mock election. I'm hoping they were just being edge lords.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/racial-discrimination-department-of-national-defence-halifax-workplace-apprentice-1.5207193

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/liberal-campaigning-1.5211029

Love to see Harper’s director of communications writing opinion pieces for the CBC. Gotta present both sides to be fair.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mad Hamish posted:

We've had dipshit yellow vesters in front of City Hall each weekend and I've seen Soldiers of Odin downtown. loving right we have a goddamned problem here.

Hamilton police are sufficiently terrible that they once carded our only black city councillor because he was pedestrianing while black.

It's an Ontario thing. The six months I spent in that shithole province were filled with such outrageous levels of casual bigotry and racism from everyone I met.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Rime posted:

It's an Ontario thing. The six months I spent in that shithole province were filled with such outrageous levels of casual bigotry and racism from everyone I met.

Naw, we still have yellow vest racists out yelling slurs at brown people near the mall every weekend. I mean, the Okanagan might as well be Ontario, but still, BC isn’t immune.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

BGrifter posted:

Naw, we still have yellow vest racists out yelling slurs at brown people near the mall every weekend. I mean, the Okanagan might as well be Ontario, but still, BC isn’t immune.

The Okanagan is demographically dominated by Albertan expats now.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Rime posted:

And, in my experience, lower mainlanders who had to "get away from all the Chinese"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Well they're not wrong about nothing but garbage coming from Trudeau's mouth but that garbage will be that the only way to save ourselves from fascism is to throw our support behind lovely centrists like him and his party.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rime posted:

Yup. It’s a weird mix of racist Albertans and Indo-Canadian families constantly in tension.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/liberal-campaigning-1.5211029

Love to see Harper’s director of communications writing opinion pieces for the CBC. Gotta present both sides to be fair.

Yeah, pretty much.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xtal posted:

As someone who's been closely following it since the beginning, I don't think that it's overblown. But, there is a lot of context that makes it hard to summarize. Maybe I should write an essay about it.

If you could, that would be awesome. I'm embarrassingly uninformed on this in Canada vs the USA despite being a gay Albertan. The news I have heard about it is pretty concerning

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah what's happening in Hamilton isn't something to make light of, lest the city pulls its head out of its rear end and starts arresting nazis. Don't think anywhere is sacrosanct from this poo poo. All signs are pointing to it spreading.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Didn't the Anarchists start it when they razed the main street a few years ago?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

... What?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Eox posted:

... What?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/weekend-vandalism-in-hamilton-was-anti-gentrification-act-blogger-writes/article38230631/

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rime posted:

Had this sort of conversation with my retired Albertan neighbours recently - they`re certain the majority of British Columbians support the TMX pipeline and Horgan is only going through the motions of opposing it because he`s being held hostage by the evil Greens. (Not an impossible scenario, I suppose.)

They had a problem with the concept that there`s a gradient - the closer you get to the coast the less support for TMX, especially if you`re not talking to an ex-flatlander. They seem genuinely troubled by the presence of two people who have spent a significant time working on the water and don`t want to see dilbit in it.

I`m sure they`ll be the first on the beach with their mops and buckets if we have a spill.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hexigrammus posted:

I`m sure they`ll be the first on the beach with their mops and buckets if when we have a spill.

Agreed with the rest but that minor detail needed a little fix.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Agreed with the rest but that minor detail needed a little fix.

Judging from the pipeline's track record, a land based spill seems just as, if not more, likely than a marine spill.

That is to say, cleanup efforts might need to be directed to locations other than the beach.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Had this sort of conversation with my retired Albertan neighbours recently - they`re certain the majority of British Columbians support the TMX pipeline and Horgan is only going through the motions of opposing it because he`s being held hostage by the evil Greens. (Not an impossible scenario, I suppose.)
From the polls I've seen, and the people I've asked, it does seem to be a slight plurality are in favour compared to opposed.

I suspect that's skewed by the folks who don't usually vote NDP/Green though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The anarchists would say they started it by being bougie rent-seekers and politicians. That said, the Locke St demo did cause a widespread backlash against the far-left from every other part of the spectrum, and that is necessary context for what's happening right now. Cedar was the figurehead for both incidents. This creates dissonance for the people who relate to one issue but not the other.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xtal posted:

The anarchists would say they started it by being bougie rent-seekers and politicians. That said, the Locke St demo did cause a widespread backlash against the far-left from every other part of the spectrum, and that is necessary context for what's happening right now. Cedar was the figurehead for both incidents. This creates dissonance for the people who relate to one issue but not the other.

Anarchists are literally the worst. Not only is their core belief without much critical thought, but a large enough representation of their group does stupid poo poo like Locke St.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

zapplez posted:

Anarchists are literally the worst. Not only is their core belief without much critical thought, but a large enough representation of their group does stupid poo poo like Locke St.

A lot of the anarchists I know are okay, they were probably just some bad apples.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

When the anarchists are the ones out on the streets protecting people from literal Nazis I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no, they aren't literally the worst.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If you had "5" in the dead chuckwagon horse pool I've got some bad news about yesterday

quote:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5494734/another-horse-injured-at-calgary-stampedes-chuckwagon-races-sunday/

The Calgary Stampede confirmed three more horses were euthanized following the chuckwagon races on Sunday, bringing the total to six deaths.

According to a press release, the right lead horse on Evan Salmond’s wagon sustained a running injury. A veterinarian assessment found the horse had a fractured left hind cannon bone.

Two other horses on the wagon team suffered serious injuries, as a result.

Both were cared for immediately on the track but the medical team found there was no option for treatment and all three horses had to be euthanized, stampede officials said.

The Calgary Stampede called the incident “upsetting” and said it will be initiating a thorough review process surrounding chuckwagon safety following the recent deaths.

Thoughts and prayers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

zapplez posted:

Now I know you're not gonna side with people on the far right who oppose anarchists.

So youre just a dumb both sides centrish fuckhead?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Can people not be both anti fash and anti anarchist without being labelled a garbage centrist these days?

Anarchists are loving dumb. Nothing like finding out that even the 'anarchist bike co-op' is assisting people in laundering stolen bike parts which is supporting the meth crisis in the city, because in the mind of the Anarchist 'gently caress the police' extends all the way to 'gently caress people having their poo poo stolen' and also apparently 'gently caress small independent book stores that have probably been around in this poo poo neighborhood for longer than I've been alive, who's existence is one of the reasons why this neighborhood slowly stopped being a trash place'.

I mean in the end I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with them if it's them vs Nazis, but when it comes to thinking people are garbage

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My personal experience with anarchists is that while their political beliefs are imperfect and often naive, they're also one of the groups most likely to actually get out in the street and act on those beliefs. Which is great when those beliefs involve protecting queer people from Nazis, and not so great when those beliefs involve smashing people's windows for no reason. On balance though, I'd measure consistently protecting vulnerable people from physical violence and intimidation above occasional property damage, because people are more important than things.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
An important thing to remember is that it isn't just the anarchists that are involved in the whole Hamilton Pride affair. They're certainly the loudest, and a lot of the messaging is coming from the Tower, but Hamilton Pride, tons of progressive and LGBT activists that aren't anarchists, and some of city council are also highly critical of HPS and the Mayor.

Last weekend, there were actually two protests outside of city hall happening in unison. The Tower and anarchist crowd was running "Camp Chaos Gays", and Hamilton Pride, the labour council, etc. was running "Hamilton for All".

I have a lot of problems with a lot of the actions that the anarchist community has taken in Hamilton, but that doesn't mean that HPS and the mayor aren't being completely lovely about everything surrounding pride, and the conditions that Cedar was arrested under are absolutely ridiculous - every single citizen of Hamilton should be pissed off as hell that speaking forcefully in a public town hall meeting is apparently grounds for parole violation.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

When the anarchists are the ones out on the streets protecting people from literal Nazis I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no, they aren't literally the worst.

I believe you are thinking of antifa, which is completely different than 'anarchists'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
lol right, absolutely no overlap in that zen diagram

It's loving hilarious how predictably some of you boot lickers will whine about property rights