Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Why does every liberal open their argument with "While I believe *insert leftist position*" and then several paragraph diatribes against that.

You dont need to tell us your position. You just made the loving argument for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
'The self righteous left' lmfao neoliberal gently caress off with your framing of human decency as a radical fringe position just vote for Bill Weld and call it a day

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trabisnikof posted:

And when people talk about a clear ideological difference between Warren and Sanders, this is part of it.

The idea that you can be pro-union, but not unionize your own workplace. The idea you can be pro-minimum wage, but pay some workers nothing. The idea that somehow politics is exempt from economics is exactly the difference between the two.

Sanders doesn’t think you can escape your duty to act ethically just because it is politics. While Warren thinks exclusively drawing “fellows” from those wealthy enough to work 20+ hours for free won’t have any impact on their politics or worldview.

Quoting to save, thank you

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

I edited that because she didn’t actually call for open borders. She said something that sounded a bit like calling for open borders, and then a bunch of Bernie people freaked out because in 2016 protectionism was in vogue on the left.

Ah, yes. That is why Bernie was attacking Clinton on child deportations and had signed the fix96 resolution (which Clinton never supported or acknowledged).

That is also why he hired Erika Andiola in 2015 to be on his campaign.

You're not full of poo poo at all, no sir.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

joepinetree posted:

Ah, yes. That is why Bernie was attacking Clinton on child deportations and had signed the fix96 resolution (which Clinton never supported or acknowledged).

That is also why he hired Erika Andiola in 2015 to be on his campaign.

You're not full of poo poo at all, no sir.

I hasten to clarify that by “Bernie people” I meant Bernie supporters on this forum, not Bernie himself.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People on D&D were angry about Clinton being for "open borders"?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

I hasten to clarify that by “Bernie people” I meant Bernie supporters on this forum, not Bernie himself.

I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about, but I'm also absolutely not interested at all in dragging up obscure forums grudges about political threads three years ago, so let's go ahead and drop this. If you have a point, make it without making vague references to what the forums Bernie bros may have posted way back in 2016.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Edit: fine.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Lycus posted:

People on D&D were angry about Clinton being for "open borders"?

I was personally against Clinton's open brders because she was referring to free movement of capital and the means to exploit low cost markets, not the free movement of workers. Also it was part of her whole public/private positions debacle.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 14, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

twodot posted:

The question isn't "Does this have consequences?" it's "Are civil offenders treated like criminals?" and civil offenders are forcibly subjected to court systems, and legal consequences for their actions that violate government code, so if your contention that isn't being treated like a criminal because they don't have pre-trial detention (despite literal criminals having bail!?) then make it, but at least engage with the actual conversation.

An excellent argument for why civil lawsuits for torts need to be banned... why, people are being treated like criminals being forcibly subjected to courts!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ogmius815 posted:

the self-righteous left

weren't you just arguing for unpaid internships earlier

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

generic one posted:

It says right there in the section you quoted that only making it a civil offense would be an improvement, you dolt.

Lots of things would be an "improvement" in our unjust treatment of undocumented immigrants while still remaining unjust.

I'm a lot less interested in whether something is technically an "improvement" than I am in whether people are still subjected to unjust treatment.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 14, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

An excellent argument for why civil lawsuits for torts need to be banned... why, people are being treated like criminals being forcibly subjected to courts!

Torts harm people, by definition.

Crossing an imaginary line does not.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

So you think civil lawsuits of all types “treat people like criminals”?

Because that’s what the OP is arguing.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao Warren sucks so so bad , she defends capitalism to her bones , has awful awful plans , and yet people are lining up to defend her

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

All legal distinctions are ultimately “imaginary”. Moreover, not all torts require damages as an element. Further, I note that even the most permissive immigration system will result in people being “exposed to the court system.” Presumably there would still be some rules (some known security risks will be excluded, people with certain medical conditions might need treatment before admission, certain agricultural products need to be controlled, things like that) and those rules would have to be enforced somehow. Pretending that there is no difference between criminal prosecutions and civil enforcement actions but “the letters in the word” because both involve a court is super wrong.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

All legal distinctions are ultimately “imaginary”.

So the difference between murder and illegal immigration is "imaginary"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

So you think civil lawsuits of all types “treat people like criminals”?

Civil lawsuits are different from civil offenses.

But, sure. Immigrants should be treated like desperate people in need of help, not like defendants accused of a tort

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Around mid July is when Trump conclusively took the lead in the polls. Bernie is now in third behind Warren.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't believe things have degraded to the point where we have to pile on "civil offenses aren't crimes", a tautological statement, as some nefarious poo poo-lib trickery.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit: oops

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

I can't believe things have degraded to the point where we have to pile on "civil offenses aren't crimes", a tautological statement, as some nefarious poo poo-lib trickery.

Should being in the US without documents be prosecuted as a civil offense, Mellow Seas?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VitalSigns posted:

Should being in the US without documents be prosecuted as a civil offense, Mellow Seas?

That's not my preferred position but don't act like this conversation didn't start with willful misframing of Warren's position.

And although - as you know! - I support Bermie, I really strongly doubt he's going to eliminate "illegal immigration" as a concept. Be a lot cooler if he did, etc

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ifnotnoworg/status/1150392483467202560?s=21

lol Booker

Literally "If human rights are your issue, vote for someone else"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

That's not my preferred position but don't act like this conversation didn't start with willful misframing of Warren's position.

And although - as you know! - I support Bermie, I really strongly doubt he's going to eliminate "illegal immigration" as a concept. Be a lot cooler if he did, etc

Under Warren’s plan undocumented immigrants will still be treated like criminals and charged with a crime. That’s a fact, that’s not a misreading of her position.

I’ve quoted media articles backing up my statement, so if you’re going to call me a liar please loving back yourself up.

Do you have any proof that disputes the Vox article I posted? Or do you think they’re misframing too?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

drat your priorities are a mindfuck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If cops arrest you, detain you, convict you of a crime, then punish you for it (with deportation) you’re being treated like a criminal.

Some goons think it’s unfair to point this out without adding the caveat that currently they treat you worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punk da Bundo posted:

Lmao Warren sucks so so bad , she defends capitalism to her bones , has awful awful plans , and yet people are lining up to defend her

Some of her plans are good.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I apologize with all sincerity and solemnity on behalf of the "words mean things" caucus.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

There's nothing 'civil' about forced deportation

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I apologize with all sincerity and solemnity on behalf of the "words mean things" caucus.

Do you think Vox is using the words wrong too?

quote:

Migrants who enter the US without papers would still be committing a crime, and they could still be deported.

Or are you going to accuse them of lying instead?

The irony is this all started with Warren falsely misrepresenting her position on immigration.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I wore my “Feel the Bern” T shirt at the gym the other week and this older gentleman came up to after I was done with the elliptical and told me, “ I don’t like seeing politics while at the gym.” I calmly told him that politics are all around us while at the gym. I couldn’t think of another time where I was on cardio and not looking at a tv with either fox news or msnbc on it.

After I was done I headed into the sauna (still wearing my shirt) and relaxed a bit. I never saw that person again, perhaps he decided to go to a different 24 hour fitness.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

a.lo posted:

After I was done I headed into the sauna (still wearing my shirt)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Some of her plans are good.

Name three

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

All legal distinctions are ultimately “imaginary”. Moreover, not all torts require damages as an element. Further, I note that even the most permissive immigration system will result in people being “exposed to the court system.” Presumably there would still be some rules (some known security risks will be excluded, people with certain medical conditions might need treatment before admission, certain agricultural products need to be controlled, things like that) and those rules would have to be enforced somehow. Pretending that there is no difference between criminal prosecutions and civil enforcement actions but “the letters in the word” because both involve a court is super wrong.

Right. Instead of trying to redefine “criminal” as anything that involves a court, the OP should just say they want open borders and are judging candidates by that standard.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I still don’t know what Warren has done to mark a “good candidate” I guess she has been in Bill Maher more than other candidates (Cory Booker???)?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Name three

Wealth Tax, 50k debt forgiveness for student loan holders, breaking up Amazon, universal pre K.

That's 4 off the top of my head.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Wealth Taxi, 50k debt forgiveness for student loan holders, breaking up Amazon, universal pre K.

Lol yeah the incredibly good plan of "doing less than someone else has already promised to do for everyone, and also means testing it"

Wealth tax doesn't go far enough

Does she actually have a plan for breaking up Amazon or is it just something she's said she wants to do, because all her actual plans suck

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lol yeah the incredibly good plan of "doing less than someone else has already promised to do for everyone, and also means testing it"

Wealth tax doesn't go far enough

Does she actually have a plan for breaking up Amazon or is it just something she's said she wants to do, because all her actual plans suck

I thought even bernie didn't have a wealth tax, or am I remembering wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Wealth Tax, 50k debt forgiveness for student loan holders, breaking up Amazon, universal pre K.

Just because you say “wealth tax” doesn’t mean you’re some sony executive announcing “299” at a video conference