Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Doom 4 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
People who dislike Doom 2016 are idiots who should be rounded up and buried in a hole in the desert like the trash they are.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If ever we start launching our trash into the sun, we should still bury these Doom 2016 dissenters in a hole in the desert because a trip to space is too good for them.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shamblers on Nightmare can gently caress off except that one you can telefrag. He's cool for breaking the rules.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like Doom 4 it just needs some adjustments.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

People who dislike Doom 2016 are idiots who should be rounded up and buried in a hole in the desert like the trash they are.

Doom 4 is amazing but I was honestly getting bored with it the last level tbh.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I liked Doom 4 so much I literally started over and beat the whole thing again on the second hardest difficulty after the first time I did it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've replayed it on nightmare and then again on nightmare without weapon mods. game's good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish I liked it as much as everyone else. wasn’t doom enough for me (also loving number it - dooms one of the most well known games in history).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Thanks for updating this again :)

Are the video-related crashes fixed now?

It was OGG streaming specifically, but hopefully fixed. The nature of the crash being caused by a race condition means I can never be 100% certain, but it seems like the probability has be reduced to near-if-not-actually-zero.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Groovelord Neato posted:

(also loving number it - dooms one of the most well known games in history).

Doom - Doom
Doom 2 - Doom 2
Doom 64 - Doom 3
Doom 3 - Doom 4
Doom 2016 - Doom 5
Doom Eternal - Doom 6

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Give it a year and this thread will be saying that actually the only good FPS ever made is Doom 1 unmodded, sourceports are haram.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Give it a year and this thread will be saying that actually the only good FPS ever made is Doom 1 unmodded, sourceports are haram.

it's Catacomb Abyss actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordja posted:

Im so far ahead of you i believe that only with the coming of the twelfth divine FPS will Doom rise and assist them to defeat the anti-FPS

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mordja posted:

Is rebinding the keys in the ini to use WASD ok, or must you remain on the original controls, As God Intended?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's no reason not to play SIGIL with Dead Marine, right? It doesn't screw anything up?

E: too late anyway, I've already started.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 14, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mordja posted:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barudak posted:

I like Doom 4 it just needs some adjustments.

The closest comparison I can make is to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's the revival of a classic PC game with a slightly different but largely sensible take on the source material, but is also weighed down by a lot of weird issues that you can spend a few hours poking at in frustration. The right sort of ethos is there, but the details are slightly off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

It was OGG streaming specifically, but hopefully fixed. The nature of the crash being caused by a race condition means I can never be 100% certain, but it seems like the probability has be reduced to near-if-not-actually-zero.

Nice!

Also is the plan for final patch to be 2.0? As there is not much room left for iteration before then :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mordja posted:

actually the only good FPS ever made is Doom 1 unmodded, sourceports are haram.

This, but unironically.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Nice!

Also is the plan for final patch to be 2.0? As there is not much room left for iteration before then :)

Not sure on Kaiser's side, and I doubt we'll ever have an explicitly final patch, but I do have some netcode updates planned to better handle the "zero snapshot" (the first delta frame sent to a client when they connect, currently it can be a little too aggressive for some connections) and map transfers over network.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
haven't played doom 2016 yet because it still hasn't been patched to work with brutal doom, big failing on id's part, not making their game work with the true way to play doom

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

... [good words about Doom]

Nice post.

I'm playing right now Struggle: Antaresian Legacy, it's pretty good, although as I played it and progressed, I had to lower the difficulty.

In a way, I prefer HMP better than UV in lots of big maps, because it's less of a slog.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 14, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Alright I just have to unload my thoughts about Painkiller--ignore if you don't give a poo poo about Painkiller:

I just recently wrapped up about 20 hours of "Painkiller: Hell & Damnation" and it was kind of weird revisiting a game I last remember playing on CD back in the 2000's, adapted to a new engine and...kind of new? It started familiar and then it became apparent that they changed/swapped around some of the bosses and levels for no discernible reason. I think the plot's also tweaked, but now it's even more nonsensical despite its simplicity. They throw this "Eve" character at you with basically no explanation, and give you a new weapon--your only weapon to start, in fact--and don't seem to give it a name or explain how it works until the 4th level. Like, of course you'll figure it out on Level 1 (obviously) but why would you wait until level 4 to say, "oh we should probably give them a prompt explaining what the gently caress this thing even does."

Speaking of narrative, sometimes the game will ambush you with (mostly) silent cutscenes that serve no real purpose. You start in a sewer and then suddenly there's a clip playing of various Painkiller enemies hanging out in a train station. Legitimately...like lounging on park benches and using ATM machines. Then it's back to you. Bizarre.

You bounce around from one level setting to another and none of it makes sense--one chapter has an "Oriental Castle" and then you're in a 20th century orphanage and then you're in a swamp; another has a modern freak-show carnival and then an ancient Romanesque coliseum. Also, I guess I never realized that there's essentially zero enemy AI or mechanical variety: virtually everything simply runs up to you (unless it physically can't) to hit you in the face or shoot you in the face at point blank range. Most enemies appear to have about the same amount of hitpoints, too, so they're largely interchangeable with one another--which is good, because often times the level designer will just throw whatever enemy aesthetic in whatever map they want. Ancient monks in a modern day asylum? Scythe-wielding Inquisition priests in a carnival? Sword-ninjas in an Opera House? Why not. Except, again, there's a huge aesthetic variety of enemies and they all basically behave the same, so the developers could have stuck to enemies that made sense in certain levels.

Between that and the fact that 95% of enemies teleport into arenas like so many sprinkles, it starts to feel almost like a procedurally-generated experience. Almost nothing really feels thought out or hand-placed. Nothing's picked for any sort of aesthetic, just drawn at random from a roster of "wouldn't it be cool"-type enemy designs. You fight mish-mashed waves of enemies that simply run up to you and then you go into another arena and do it again. Very few of the arenas seem intentional or designed for a certain purpose. And I just realized there aren't any airborne enemies either. Weird.

And despite all of that jank, I still don't really regret paying $7 for the whole package. I feel like, in a game about mindlessly shooting poo poo, Painkiller's saving grace is that the weapons feel really good. The primary, secondary, and combo fire modes for many of the weapons is something I wish I'd see in more games. You've got a minigun with a rocket launcher attached to it; the stake gun can impale enemies and pin them to walls, but also launches grenades and can be combined into a rudimentary missile launcher; the soul catcher can put saw blades through multiple consecutive targets and dismember them, and if you collect 6 souls, you can launch a projectile that causes enemies to turn on each other; one of the DLCs introduces a weapon that's basically a baby Serious Sam SBC Cannon, and it never gets old launching explosive bowling balls through crowds. For the most part, each weapon is useful and some, like the Stake Gun and Painkiller, are satisfying to master. If it weren't for the great weapons, the games would probably be absolute garbage.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 14, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ion MaidenFury's levelcount:
https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1150225851138494464

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

quote:

They're 28 actual levels that the crazy guys on our team painstakingly constructed with a program ported from DOS.
...because we ran anyone who suggested they could write a new utility wholesale that might actually end up being superior, a la DoomBuilder, out of town.

(Well, to be fair, I can't say for certain the people at Voidpoint specifically did that, but I definitely recall hearing that such an event occurred because the Build community is that set in their ways.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Between Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury it's a good time for FPS fans :) I've played the early access levels through a few times now and cant wait for the full version! Hoping the full release has some performance improvements though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My only concern about Ion Fury right now is I think the arsenal might be limited. The Preview Campaign has the baton, revolver, shotgun/grenade launcher (inspired idea), SMGs, minigun, crossbow, and bowling bombs. The release trailer also shows what looks like throwable mines. Sure, that's 8 guns, technically 9, but there's a lot of functionality crossover that can make some of them feel a little redundant. SMGs and a minigun? Bowling bombs and mines and grenades? I'm thinking about how different each gun in Duke and Blood look, feel, and function. I'm hoping at least for a rocket launcher or energy weapon or something that really stands out from the bunch.

Other than that though I can already feel it in my bones it's gonna be a game I replay the everlovin' poo poo out of.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still don't get everyone hates the hitscanning cultists.

The enforcers in Duke were way worse for me, in my experience.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tbh when I fought the spider Mastermind at the end of Doom 4, it felt like I was jumping around in a boss battle from the Ys series, only shooting off rockets and BFG blasts in first person, and it owned

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I just beat the first episode of Dusk in 'I can Take It' difficulty. It took a little bit to get going but once it did I ended up really enjoying the fights. I found it kind of difficult to explore the maps though; I kept on missing the critical path. For E1M8 (through the gates) in particular, I had to look up where to go twice.

I think I kind of found myself wishing there were more enemies. I'm sure the next episode is harder, but I wonder if I should step it up even more. I'm no shooter expert by any means (still haven't beaten Episode 4 of Doom in UV), but I'd like a little more pushback I think.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Enforcers come in smaller numbers and don't bring the dynamite bonus. Cultists at the other hand have lots of lines and add to the atmosphere of the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the lead dev himself recommends bumping it to cero miedo difficulty-wise if you want more of an actual challenge. it's not hugely difficult on normal, for sure.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I just beat the first episode of Dusk in 'I can Take It' difficulty. It took a little bit to get going but once it did I ended up really enjoying the fights. I found it kind of difficult to explore the maps though; I kept on missing the critical path. For E1M8 (through the gates) in particular, I had to look up where to go twice.

I think I kind of found myself wishing there were more enemies. I'm sure the next episode is harder, but I wonder if I should step it up even more. I'm no shooter expert by any means (still haven't beaten Episode 4 of Doom in UV), but I'd like a little more pushback I think.

Cero Miedo is the difficulty that the game was balanced for, but I Can Take It is good for a first-time playthrough.

The next two episodes will indeed ramp up the difficulty, the third especially.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

the lead dev himself recommends bumping it to cero miedo difficulty-wise if you want more of an actual challenge. it's not hugely difficult on normal, for sure.

Oh hell yeah. I'm dying way more often now but I'm having way more fun. The Grainery was loving insaaaane. My mobility suddenly matters a bunch now and when I dodge, weave, and blast a bunch of people I feel like a total badass.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mak0rz posted:

Doom - Doom
Doom 2 - Doom 2
Doom 64 - Doom 3
Doom 3 - Doom 4
Doom 2016 - Doom 5
Doom Eternal - Doom 6

64 is a strong number, I strongly believe this. Is this Doom or the Dewy Decimal system? I think they've done good by not naming the new one Doom 2 at least, Eternal is a cool title.

Shadow Hog posted:

...because we ran anyone who suggested they could write a new utility wholesale that might actually end up being superior, a la DoomBuilder, out of town.

(Well, to be fair, I can't say for certain the people at Voidpoint specifically did that, but I definitely recall hearing that such an event occurred because the Build community is that set in their ways.)

Mapster is great. It looks tough on paper, but once you learn the keyboard shortcuts and some trial and error its works well. I think it not having a fancy Doom Builder type of thing would just be do to it being smaller community where nobody happened to make something like that.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't think the enforcers react as quickly as the cultists do. They also only have their sneeze alternate attack rather than the dynamite.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I don't agree either, enforcers were annoying but they never gave me that much trouble. The real mitigating factor is that enforcers aren't EVERYWHERE like cultists are in Blood.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
My problem with the cultists is their reaction times aren't a lot of fun. I like to pop around a corner and fire off a flare or round of dynamite, then duck back and wait for the screams, but it's practically impossible to do so without getting shot. Even a 0.25 second extra delay would make them much less frustrating, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's entirely reaction times. hitscanners are awful as it is but blood's cultists are outright poo poo because there's no built-in hindering of their reaction times that's worth a drat like the other games tend to have.