Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good info, thanks guys. I’m coming from a place of ignorance so this is good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've never riveted my own chain before; is this usual?

The spread on the front side is the same width as the factory rivets, more or less, but I don't think the backs of the pins were sticking out that far when I started (but then, maybe they were, I genuinely can't recall).

e/ also recommend me a chain riveter I guess because this one was a freebie and physically painful to use

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 14, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Tire suggestions for drz400sm? Not ultra pricy like pr5 pls. Haven’t had a sumo so not sure what’s good.

Pilot powers. They still sell the OG ones and the 160’s are really good for the DRZ. I’ve had them on both of mine and they’re light years better than what comes with it.

It will (hilariously) tip in even easier with the 160 on the back, but it’s not bad and I never wanted for extra traction on the pavement

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I have some kind of hosed up starting issue again. This time with the BMW S1000XR. Sometimes when I press the starter button it cranks for about 1/4 of a second and then stops. Then pressing the button elicits no response. A few seconds later it works normally. I have had the button replaced by the dealer, but the problem persists. It's more common in the morning. Moreover, I almost got stranded today, this time closer to noon with temperatures close to 80F. Pressing the button just did fuckall. Here's two vids of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h438fUVLEs&t=56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2Ge4kceoc

Any ideas wtf?

I checked the battery voltage today. 13V with bike off and 14.5V at 4k rpm.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pilot powers. They still sell the OG ones and the 160’s are really good for the DRZ. I’ve had them on both of mine and they’re light years better than what comes with it.

It will (hilariously) tip in even easier with the 160 on the back, but it’s not bad and I never wanted for extra traction on the pavement

I most recently put Pilot Powers on my DRZ, though they were 120 front, 150 rear. Can confirm, they’re lovely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've never riveted my own chain before; is this usual?

The spread on the front side is the same width as the factory rivets, more or less, but I don't think the backs of the pins were sticking out that far when I started (but then, maybe they were, I genuinely can't recall).

e/ also recommend me a chain riveter I guess because this one was a freebie and physically painful to use

You hosed up unfortunately. There should be a little anvil on the other end of the riveter that holds the pins from driving out. It also doesn't look like the pins are mushroomed enough which is probably because they started pushing out instead of flaring when you riveted them. It's not the end of the world, you can just push them back to where they should be and try again.

pokie posted:

I have some kind of hosed up starting issue again. This time with the BMW S1000XR. Sometimes when I press the starter button it cranks for about 1/4 of a second and then stops. Then pressing the button elicits no response. A few seconds later it works normally. I have had the button replaced by the dealer, but the problem persists. It's more common in the morning. Moreover, I almost got stranded today, this time closer to noon with temperatures close to 80F. Pressing the button just did fuckall. Here's two vids of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h438fUVLEs&t=56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o2Ge4kceoc

Any ideas wtf?

I checked the battery voltage today. 13V with bike off and 14.5V at 4k rpm.

Your dealer sounds pretty useless. The ECU is making a decision to stop cranking because voltage is below a given threshold. So a wiring problem or something causing voltage drop, or there's some sort of issue with the starter relay or starter itself. The button is just a digital signal telling the ECU to start cranking and is almost never the problem.

I'd suggest looking at the battery voltage while attempting cranking, I'd also try jump starting the battery when the problem appears and seeing what happens.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

Your dealer sounds pretty useless. The ECU is making a decision to stop cranking because voltage is below a given threshold. So a wiring problem or something causing voltage drop, or there's some sort of issue with the starter relay or starter itself. The button is just a digital signal telling the ECU to start cranking and is almost never the problem.
That goes without saying. The switch did have an issue before while the bike was under warranty and the dealer replacing it seemed to fix it. So that seemed like the obvious line of attack.

Slavvy posted:

I'd suggest looking at the battery voltage while attempting cranking, I'd also try jump starting the battery when the problem appears and seeing what happens.

I will do that tomorrow and take a vid for y'all. I have started it 5 more times today with no problems.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do you have a Lithium Ion battery by any chance? Because that disconcerting starting issue is normal operation for them.

RE Pilot Powers, great tires, cheap, short tread life, but that's probably not an issue for a light rider on a light bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

You hosed up unfortunately. There should be a little anvil on the other end of the riveter that holds the pins from driving out. It also doesn't look like the pins are mushroomed enough which is probably because they started pushing out instead of flaring when you riveted them. It's not the end of the world, you can just push them back to where they should be and try again.

No joy on this unfortunately, the pins absolutely do not want to go back. Hopefully I can find a single master link with quick shipping. Riding my girlfriend's bike to work until then. Which is also busted but only "hates starting cold" busted and not "may throw the chain at any moment" busted.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Elviscat posted:

Do you have a Lithium Ion battery by any chance? Because that disconcerting starting issue is normal operation for them.

No, it's the stock BMW battery. I can't read the labels without taking it out, but it was heavy last time I got it out.

Slavvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvdykUKgSkw
Here it is. You can see battery voltage drop to ~9V when I press the button then nothing - no start. Then I try again, voltage drops and surges up to 14.5V - good start. I'd appreciate tips regarding next steps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The voltage dropping right down implies the relay and everything is working correctly and the starter just can't turn but is still drawing current. I would clean all the earth points, clean every single connection between the battery and the starter, if that doesn't work replace the relay. If none of that works, start staring at the starter suspiciously.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

The voltage dropping right down implies the relay and everything is working correctly and the starter just can't turn but is still drawing current. I would clean all the earth points, clean every single connection between the battery and the starter, if that doesn't work replace the relay. If none of that works, start staring at the starter suspiciously.

Another mechanic suggested recharging the battery and checking the amp draw, and seeing if it's hosed. I'll do that first since it's less work. I don't even know where the starter is hidden in this thing, but I will try it next.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I need to make a custom route that is displayable on an ios device. Is there anything out there that lets you make gpx files in some manner of mapping software and use them on ios?

I tried google maps, but I ran out of waypoints

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Changed my oil today and the old stuff reeked of petrol. Also I always put the old oil in what's left of the new bottle afterwards, and the fact it overflowed means I took more out than I put back in despite filling it to the right level on the bike.

I think it's time I learned how to do a compression test, but that's effort.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Compression's as easy as doing a plug change. (So on some bikes it won't be easy. It was dead easy on the Rex.) Gain access to plug holes, unhook fuel line or disconnect fuel pump. Disconnect the coils, or at least take the plug wires off the plugs. Take one plug out. Screw the tester in. With the starter, turn the engine over as many times as your specs say to. (At least 4-5 cranks.) Compare to spec. If outside spec, curse/swear. Push the little release valve button to reset the gauge. Go to next plug.

If you've got a bike that has more than one plug per cylinder, only do the test on one plug for each.

If you don't already have a tester, you may want to remove a plug and check against the adapters that the gauge comes with. I had to return the first gauge I bought because it had adapters for big ol' car engine plugs with big ol' car engine threads, but not the little motorcycle plugs I have.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Finally got my new nut and washer for my front sprocket, and the threads on the output shaft seemed fine thankfully. I went ahead and used vibra-tite vc-3 on the threads too, so hopefully it'll stay on this time. Few questions on the pic below:

1) Did I bend the locking washer up enough? It was surprisingly hard to bend up, that's the best I could do with needle nose pliers, and I didn't want to break it.

2) The hoses on the left fit into a groove in the sprocket cover, and it's a huge pain the dick to get them in there with the shift linkage still installed on the bike. While playing with trying to get them in, one popped out from the bottom of the bike. Looking at it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually connected to anything, so maybe it's some kind of coolant overflow hose or something to with the CA emissions system on the bike? It's running fine with it not plugged into anything, so I'm pretty sure it just vents *something* to the bottom of the bike. I left the cover off for now and just zip tied the hoses together so they don't hit the chain, and that way I can check the nut and make sure it's still tight and everything is fine.

3) Can I spray some degreaser / engine cleaner on this area to clean it off? There was a lot of almost rubber like grime/grease in there, I got the bigger chunks off with a screwdriver. It seems like that would be fine, but I don't know if it's bad to get that on the output shaft. I'll be cleaning and lubing the chain after anyway so no worries about stripping the lube from the chain.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

What should I do with this big, useless lump? 1976 GL1000 motor, won’t turn by hand.

Seriously, no bad ideas here.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put your peanus in it

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

put your peanus in it

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
the ADVRider thread is the other way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Coffee table.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Sell it for scrap?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Changed my oil today and the old stuff reeked of petrol. Also I always put the old oil in what's left of the new bottle afterwards, and the fact it overflowed means I took more out than I put back in despite filling it to the right level on the bike.

I think it's time I learned how to do a compression test, but that's effort.

You don't have a compression problem, you've got a bike running insanely rich problem. What kind of bike is it?

MomJeans420 posted:

Finally got my new nut and washer for my front sprocket, and the threads on the output shaft seemed fine thankfully. I went ahead and used vibra-tite vc-3 on the threads too, so hopefully it'll stay on this time. Few questions on the pic below:

1) Did I bend the locking washer up enough? It was surprisingly hard to bend up, that's the best I could do with needle nose pliers, and I didn't want to break it.

2) The hoses on the left fit into a groove in the sprocket cover, and it's a huge pain the dick to get them in there with the shift linkage still installed on the bike. While playing with trying to get them in, one popped out from the bottom of the bike. Looking at it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually connected to anything, so maybe it's some kind of coolant overflow hose or something to with the CA emissions system on the bike? It's running fine with it not plugged into anything, so I'm pretty sure it just vents *something* to the bottom of the bike. I left the cover off for now and just zip tied the hoses together so they don't hit the chain, and that way I can check the nut and make sure it's still tight and everything is fine.

3) Can I spray some degreaser / engine cleaner on this area to clean it off? There was a lot of almost rubber like grime/grease in there, I got the bigger chunks off with a screwdriver. It seems like that would be fine, but I don't know if it's bad to get that on the output shaft. I'll be cleaning and lubing the chain after anyway so no worries about stripping the lube from the chain.

You didn't bend that anywhere near enough, or at all really. You can't break it, use a pair of channel lock pliers or similar that has a wide footprint so you don't put a divot in it. Put one jaw on the nut and one on the part of the washer you want to bend and squash that bitch till it's positively mashed into the side of the nut, anything less is useless and won't stop anything. You want to cover as much of one of the nut flats as possible.

Those hoses are the air box drain and tank vent and are meant to just dangle out the bottom.

You can spray whatever you like on there, it'll be fine.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I got my lock washer down by putting a socket extender up against the edge (as in, with the axis pointing towards the nut) and smacking the back of it with a hammer. Worked pretty good.

e/ vv that's what I tried at first, but I couldn't get a good angle.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 17, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

You didn't bend that anywhere near enough, or at all really. You can't break it, use a pair of channel lock pliers or similar that has a wide footprint so you don't put a divot in it. Put one jaw on the nut and one on the part of the washer you want to bend and squash that bitch till it's positively mashed into the side of the nut, anything less is useless and won't stop anything

You can also use an old flat screwdriver and a mallet to hammer it into place. Start with it flat so that you get underneath the lip of the washer, then once you've raised it up, turn the screwdriver 90 degrees and flatten it against the nut face from one side to the other

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Slavvy posted:

You don't have a compression problem, you've got a bike running insanely rich problem. What kind of bike is it?

It's an Fz6 Fazer

If it's running rich then the likely culprit is an electrical issue. I was thinking specifically that my piston rings were starting to wear, which would be how fuel's running to the sump.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm sure that that's the most normal thing ever, but man that installation is just crying out for a castellated nut and cotter pin.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A punch and hammer is the industry accepted practice for installing that sort of lock washer n'thing that you want that completely flat against one of the flats of the nut, as close to 90° as possible, get 2 flats if you can.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phy posted:

Compression's as easy as doing a plug change.

I've been putting off changing the plugs because you have to lift the fuel tank up to take the airbox out then disconnect the radiator and pull that off before taking the leads out of the head and then use a special tool to reach into a hole about 4 inches deep to unscrew the plug, but you don't have direct access "over" the hole because of the frame so you're reaching in at a 90 degree angle before you get to the top of the tool that's in the hole.

Every time I work on this bike I feel like the under seat exhaust was their design priority and everything else was fudged around that.

I'll definitely check my plug thread diameter though. I never knew there was more than one in the consumer autos market.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 17, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's an Fz6 Fazer

If it's running rich then the likely culprit is an electrical issue. I was thinking specifically that my piston rings were starting to wear, which would be how fuel's running to the sump.

If the rings are worn you won't usually get petrol in the oil and a high oil level, you'll get oil pissing out the exhaust and a low oil level. If it were a carburetted bike I'd bet on it being a stuck open fuel tap or carb float, being efi it gets trickier. Has it got an oxygen sensor? Sometimes when those fail the default fueling is super rich for safety. Other stuff it could be is a stuck fuel pressure regulator, an injector sticking open, over-optimistic power commander mapping, faulty MAP sensor, possibly even just a blocked to gently caress intake tract.

Most compression testers come with a variety of thread fittings as well as a rubber push-in fitting that works fine on most bikes. I may be remembering wrong but I can't recall any r6 derived bike where you need to pull the radiator to reach the plugs, usually it's just tank off, airbox off which are both super simple.

Does it run or ride unusually at all? Any smoking?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for all the replies, I tried just jamming a screwdriver beneath it at first but that wasn't doing poo poo either. The problem with not being the one to take it off in the first place is I had no idea how it should look. I have some big vice grips that I'll test out when I get home, I'd like to avoid the whole suddenly losing power thing. Thankfully I was making a left turn at a street that dead ends into a T shape, but that would have been really lovely if I was making a left turn with oncoming cars.

I just remembered my buddy left his gunsmithing punches and hammer at my house, I should open the case and see if any look big enough for this.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It doesn't have an oxygen or MAP sensor. AFAIK it just takes the throttle position and the engine rpm and crudely shoots to that using a formula in the ECU. It's all stock, no aftermarket commanders or anything.

It's never run unusually. If I had to say something it'd be that I suspect a loss in power over the 2 years I've had it, or that I've just grown through it I'm not certain. I didn't dyno this or anything it just doesn't feel like it shoots off as hard when I twist it.

It has always had a fuel smell I could never get to the bottom of, but no evident leaks or vapour clouds. The smell is usually after it has been parked for some time. An injector sticking open does sound like a line to investigate.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 17, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

It doesn't have an oxygen or MAP sensor. AFAIK it just takes the throttle position and the engine rpm and crudely shoots to that using a formula in the ECU. It's all stock, no aftermarket commanders or anything.

It's never run unusually. If I had to say something it'd be that I suspect a loss in power over the 2 years I've had it, or that I've just grown through it I'm not certain. I didn't dyno this or anything it just doesn't feel like it shoots off as hard when I twist it.

It has always had a fuel smell I could never get to the bottom of, but no evident leaks or vapour clouds. The smell is usually after it has been parked for some time. An injector sticking open does sound like a line to investigate.

Ok there's some things you can do here but none of them are easy or straightforward. I don't know if that bike specifically has them, but a lot of open-loop efi bikes have mixture screws on the throttlebodies, these could be worth investigating. To test the injectors, pull the rail out with the injectors still attached and connected to the wiring harness, turn the bike to on so the pump primes the pressure, then leave them pointing nose down into some plastic cups and see if anything leaks out.

Generally efi bikes tend to run a shade lean from the factory so it's unusual that you're getting the opposite. Does it start ok when hot and cold? Do you know if it has any kind of cold start idle up system or anything? Valve clearances might be worth investigating too.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I know the bike has screws on the IACV that need balancing but I don't think there's anything for the mixture. What I have found is some posts on an obscure forum saying you can tweak the mixture through the bike's diagnostic screens. It's all about pressing weird button combinations with the two buttons on the display and then interpreting the weird letters on the 7 segment displays used for your speed. I didn't think my bike would turn out to be a tamagotchi.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 17, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

If you look on fuelly.com, does yours have markedly different fuel economy from other ones? Perhaps that's just how it is. My (carbed bike) used oil always smelled a bit gas-like even though everything was fine. Used oil is marinated in all manner of combustion blowby. Perfectly tuned engines are still spewing out all manner of soot and crud.

The internet, and this forum, is full of oil analysis ranging in their manner from Einstein angrily pondering quantum paradoxes to wine tasters finding supple, succulent notes of tar, rose petal and benzene. And it's pretty much always a non-issue. Perhaps the surplus oil you though you had was just the filter house not being drained.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The reason I've ignored the fuel smell from standing is because I assumed it was normal and getting 43mpg out of the machine, especially the way I ride it, seems about right. But there's no mistaking that when I took the oil out this time it smelled a lot like fuel and moreso than the last time.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Slavvy posted:

Does it start ok when hot and cold? Do you know if it has any kind of cold start idle up system or anything? Valve clearances might be worth investigating too.

Depends what you mean by hot and cold. Starting first thing in the morning to starting when it's been ridden the past few hours there's usually no issue. The only time there's ever a problem is if it's been incredibly rainy or wintry cold. Then it can sometimes take a real long blast of the starter or sometimes run into a second attempt. Other than that the starter's barely on for one second before the engine fires up.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 18, 2019

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
Had my chain snap on me this morning and it only had about 500 miles on it. Any ideas what could have caused this? I'll upload pictures of it when I get home but I thought that it was a weird thing to happen with so little mileage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Depends what you mean by hot and cold. Starting first thing in the morning to starting when it's been ridden the past few hours there's usually no issue. The only time there's ever a problem is if it's been incredibly rainy or wintry cold. Then it can sometimes take a real long blast of the starter or sometimes run into a second attempt. Other than that the starter's barely on for one second before the engine fires up.

Been thinking about this, try testing your coolant temp sensor as it's an easy thing to do and will make the bike run super rich.

Fhistleb posted:

Had my chain snap on me this morning and it only had about 500 miles on it. Any ideas what could have caused this? I'll upload pictures of it when I get home but I thought that it was a weird thing to happen with so little mileage.

Too tight? Too loose? Idiot mechanic? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fhistleb posted:

How long have you had the sprockets it was on?

Unrelated question: did it snap at the master link?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 18, 2019