Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lite Chat - Tbh I've played my switch undocked for like, less than 4 hours. It lives in it's dock and I just wanna play Nintendo games on my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The QTE's are fine and the checkpoints are generous enough that failing them makes them more comical than frustrating.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The QTE's are fine and the checkpoints are generous enough that failing them makes them more comical than frustrating.

They're by no means the worst, and honestly I failed all of them on purpose just to see the awesome death sequences.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBH it would be kinda hilarious if the lite switch did BT audio lol.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, except in that case it's still the parents buying it, and out of a regular Switch they get something multiple kids can share in front of a television as well as be portable.
Say you have a family with 2.3 kids. Nintendo wants to sell you (at least) one OG Switch "for the family", and also 2.3 Switch Lites so each kid can also play Pokémon on the bus. This is part of the reason why the Switch Lite wasn't introduced until 35 million OG Switches were already sold. It's intended to be a second-purchase system for many.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's why the argument against it is "you're not getting the value you think you are out of it", not "it's a bad device".
That's an almost offensively-presumptive argument though. Sure, there will be a number of ill-informed parents shopping for a "Switch" this year who probably would get value out of an OG Switch, but not realizing the potential of it will default to purchasing a Switch Lite because it's cheaper or "good enough" on the surface.

But there will also be a number of people shopping for a Switch Lite that know exactly what it is, exactly what the value benefits vs. the OG Switch are, and still want to purchase a Switch Lite at $199. And that's entirely OK.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But there will also be a number of people shopping for a Switch Lite that know exactly what it is, exactly what the value benefits vs. the OG Switch are, and still want to purchase a Switch Lite at $199. And that's entirely OK.

Not in this loving thread! *cocks cardboard gun with JoyCon inside*

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine if the lite had 3ds backwards capability

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been using my switch a lot more on my commute to work, though I'd say in about 50/50 docked and undocked at home too (like when watching TV with the girlfriend or in bed before going to sleep).

For me, the size of the switch is fine when playing it, but it's getting it in and out of a carry case to use it that's a chore.

The slightly smaller size of the lite doesn't really scream much more added portability to me to be honest.

I look at it and see the same issues I'd have with any other shell switch carry case and its still bulky enough that I'd have to stick it in my backpack. In turn, rendering the extra "portability" redundant.

When it wasn't in a shell case, the 3dsxl fit into one of my pockets. It was a tight fit, but I'd say it was the max size you could get before needing to upgrade to a case to keep your expensive gadget safe. So this switch lite hasn't really sold itself to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Say you have a family with 2.3 kids. Nintendo wants to sell you (at least) one OG Switch "for the family", and also 2.3 Switch Lites so each kid can also play Pokémon on the bus. This is part of the reason why the Switch Lite wasn't introduced until 35 million OG Switches were already sold. It's intended to be a second-purchase system for many.

Yeah, except that's not the point that's being discussed. It's a valid use-case, but the general argument here is "should you get a regular model or Lite as your singular Switch console purchase". And yes, people do actually want one knowing the pros and cons, etc, etc, and there's no issue with that either.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure, there will be a number of ill-informed parents shopping for a "Switch" this year who probably would get value out of an OG Switch, but not realizing the potential of it will default to purchasing a Switch Lite because it's cheaper or "good enough" on the surface.

This is where the real push-back actually is; It looks like a lot of people have jumped on it going "BUT IT'S SMALLER AND CHEAPER! :shepspends:" at first blush, without actually looking closer at what that actually entails.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish Switch RE4 had gyro aiming :negative: I'll still get it someday.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is where the real push-back actually is; It looks like a lot of people have jumped on it going "BUT IT'S SMALLER AND CHEAPER! :shepspends:" at first blush, without actually looking closer at what that actually entails.

It entails it being smaller and cheaper

acems
May 8, 2019

for people who are seeking a specific mode of engagement with the switch as a platform, the lite makes sense. it is a good value for them.

buying 10 mcnuggets is theoretically a terrible value proposition when 40 is like $2 more expensive. sometimes people just want 10 mcnuggets.

e: plus every nerd who wants nintendo to split the brand because the switch that is explicitly marketed as not docking is somehow falsely presenting itself is phenomenally dumb. italics won’t change that. the point of a switch is to play switch games. the gimmick is also pretty cool, but a lot of people just want to play switch games; a device that plays switch games exclusively is well suited for the title of “nintendo switch”

acems fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 14, 2019

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As best I can tell, this is how the talking points of nay-sayers has evolved:
  • Nintendo would never make a non-switchable Switch, that would be their doom!
  • The Switch Lite is awful, it doesn't even "switch"!
  • OK, even if you don't want to play on a TV it still doesn't have detachable joycons and HD rumble, so you can't play 1-2 Switch and Mario Party.
  • Well OK, even if you play exclusively handheld and don't care about couch multiplayer, the Switch Lite at $199 isn't as good of a "value" as an OG Switch at $299 (sub applicable discounts).
  • OK OK, even if you really want a handheld-only, smaller and cheaper Switch, it's not actually smaller-enough or cheaper-enough.
Now, some of those earlier arguments are fairly ridiculous assertions--the Switch Lite has a target audience and will sell to them. It's a carefully calculated move by Nintendo.

As for its actual size and price? I don't know. I don't think it's realistic to expect a lower MSRP at this point, especially when the 3DS XL is also $199 MSRP. The question is whether the Switch Lite will get a $199 + $35 eShop GC bundle (so an effective $165) for the holiday season or something like that.

Size is kind of a point of frustration but I don't know what the answer is. I'm definitely in the camp that the OG Switch is too large (for me) to be truly portable. I love playing it handheld in the house, but I'll sooner take my 3DS or PSP when traveling because they're simply more portable (and I have plenty of backlog on those platforms anyways). The Switch Lite isn't smaller-enough for myself to be interested in it as a take-out-of-the-home handheld, but I'm not sure they could really make it much smaller as the OG Switch already has problems with miniscule UI elements in handheld mode.

Still, Nintendo has to do something to introduce a cost-reduced Switch to the market to fill the vacuum created by the discontinuation (or at least, stagnation) of the 3DS and sell more Pokémon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Facetious posted:

By definition this makes it more accessible to people who might not otherwise be able to afford a Switch.
The same way easier difficulty options make DS style games more accessible to gamers that aren't gud.

No war but the class war.

It really doesn’t the value on a 100 off a luxury purchase that doesn’t have the current bundles and probably wont for a while is rather small.

It looks like a deal because that’s marketing job.

acems
May 8, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

It really doesn’t the value on a 100 off a luxury purchase that doesn’t have the current bundles and probably wont for a while is rather small.

It looks like a deal because that’s marketing job.

it looks like a deal because not everybody can afford to drop $300, but some can swing $200 sometimes. believe it or not, $100 can be pretty make or break for some people’s ability to make bills or rent, not just in one month but even over many!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

acems posted:

it looks like a deal because not everybody can afford to drop $300, but some can swing $200 sometimes. believe it or not, $100 can be pretty make or break for some people’s ability to make bills or rent, not just in one month but even over many!

That has nothing to do with luxury purchases but okay.

Though even in this scenario the only real difference is you might have to wait a little bit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That has nothing to do with luxury purchases but okay

People save their money for luxury purchases

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

People save their money for luxury purchase

Yep.

Thanks for backing up my point, as you can save money up at any time. You don’t have to purchase anything immediately

acems
May 8, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

That has nothing to do with luxury purchases but okay

some of those people might want to buy a switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep.

Thanks for backing up my point, as you can save money up at any time

You can apply this for any purchase so I guess the price doesn't matter at all.

Might as well go for a $2000 gaming PC

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I bought a yacht that doubles as a giant Nintendo Switch. You can do this too if you save your drat money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You loving assholes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

You can apply this for any purchase so I guess the price doesn't matter at all.

Might as well go for a $2000 gaming PC

If your aiming for a 1750 then yeah, no reason to cheap out at that point

acems
May 8, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

i get that youve never met poor people before but this is just getting absurd

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Close thread.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I spent upwards of 1400 on a gaming PC a few years back in parts and in saving up I was sometimes like "hey there's a better part here and it's only like a hundred bucks more" so I just saved a little more because at that point I was already prepared to drop a large amount of cash on that luxury.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

acems posted:

Except that $100 difference isn't necessarily true; That's only the RRP's you're comparing, and I admittedly don't know what the US discounts are like but in Australia it's gotten some pretty decent ones that nearly halved that price difference. And even if both models cop a simultaneous discount, you've still got the prospect of "Well I was saving for a Lite, but the regular model's near/at/cheaper than the price I was going to pay for one".

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As for its actual size and price? I don't know. I don't think it's realistic to expect a lower MSRP at this point, especially when the 3DS XL is also $199 MSRP. The question is whether the Switch Lite will get a $199 + $35 eShop GC bundle (so an effective $165) for the holiday season or something like that.

The 3DS is a false equivalency; The 3DSXL/new3DS was about that price, but it was also the high-end 3DS model with no caveats to gameplay functionality (if anything, the new3DS was the model without them). The Switch Lite is the low end of its own spectrum, and the relevant comparison is between it and its original model. And the original model has some pretty sound arguments to pick it instead.

This is the extent of extra portability you're paying for at $200USD vs a full-sized Switch. A pocket handheld it still is not, and would still live out of your bag like the regular model would. For what a Switch Lite should be, I'd expect something about Vita-size.

acems posted:

i get that youve never met poor people before but this is just getting absurd

The Switch is a luxury item compared to basic necessities. If you're having trouble saving for one vs paying bills and food, you've got more important issues than buying a console that your money should be put towards. Also you're completely ignoring the concepts of budgeting and savings accounts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I could spend $300 on a Switch with no games or $300 on a Switch with 2 or 3 games.

Which one is a better value proposition?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is the extent of extra portability you're paying for at $200USD vs a full-sized Switch.

Yeah seems great

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When Apple had an iPod for every price point from like $50 to $500 I got stuck in an infinite loop of “oh, well for just a little more I get double the space, for a little more I get a better screen, for a little more I get double the space” on up to “I’m not spending $500 on a music player, I’ll just get the cheapest one”.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

So help me understand here. This thread full of Switch owners is mad somehow that there’s a different model of Switch coming out? And that it costs money?

You’re all a bunch of shits, you know that?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

So help me understand here. This thread full of Switch owners is mad somehow that there’s a different model of Switch coming out? And that it costs money?

Needs care a lot about sticking to original marketing campaigns

Also leisure and entertainment are a basic necessity

acems
May 8, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except that $100 difference isn't necessarily true; That's only the RRP's you're comparing, and I admittedly don't know what the US discounts are like but in Australia it's gotten some pretty decent ones that nearly halved that price difference. And even if both models cop a simultaneous discount, you've still got the prospect of "Well I was saving for a Lite, but the regular model's near/at/cheaper than the price I was going to pay for one".

The Switch is a luxury item compared to basic necessities. If you're having trouble saving for one vs paying bills and food, you've got more important issues than buying a console that your money should be put towards. Also you're completely ignoring the concepts of budgeting and savings accounts.

I think the point is that in the current American hellscape it can be extremely difficult to squirrel even the slightest amount of money away if you've got student loans, prescriptions to pay for, rent to make or a mortgage to pay, kids, etc, even with good budgeting.

I live in an area with a catastrophically hosed job market and I'm not about to "well actually" somebody who sees the feature set of the lite as an acceptable compromise and chooses to save for 4 months instead of 6 or 7. it's not about buying a switch instead of food, it's not that the switch isn't a luxury item, it's that the potential value of features they don't particularly care about is not so great as to deny yourself the comfort of playing a game on your long-rear end commute for another 3 months, assuming no emergencies hit in the mean time.

not everybody wants to buy 40 mcnuggets instead of 10 just because they might eat the other 30 someday.

e: i get that you're australian but servers in my state get paid $4.25 an hour and not all of them get tipped even decently. the cutoff for that $4.25 wage is getting $20 a month in tips. i know people who make less than $900 a month working 40+ hour weeks. it's pretty hosed out there, so even price equivalency isn't super helpful—that's money that could go to literally anything else, including partially off settng the cost of a game to play on your nintendo swtch, which has no pack-ins.

acems fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 14, 2019

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I've had my switch for a year and there are a few things im not clear on. can you have two simultaneous downloads going at the same time? Do downloads continue while I play something? Is it like the ps4 where putting the console in sleep mode makes it go faster?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Thanks dad!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've had my switch for a year and there are a few things im not clear on. can you have two simultaneous downloads going at the same time? Do downloads continue while I play something? Is it like the ps4 where putting the console in sleep mode makes it go faster?
No, no and no.

acems
May 8, 2019

MechaSeinfeld posted:

they continue if you play a game that uses no online services. it's weird.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Good Stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

acems posted:

they continue if you play a game that uses no online services. it's weird.

Not really. It's so it doesn't impede said online services in a nice little clean-cut binary way.

Also Nintendo's bad with internet stuff.

acems posted:

I live in an area with a catastrophically hosed job market and I'm not about to "well actually" somebody who sees the feature set of the lite as an acceptable compromise and chooses to save for 4 months instead of 6 or 7. it's not about buying a switch instead of food, it's not that the switch isn't a luxury item, it's that the potential value of features they don't particularly care about is not so great as to deny yourself the comfort of playing a game on your long-rear end commute for another 3 months, assuming no emergencies hit in the mean time.

not everybody wants to buy 40 mcnuggets instead of 10 just because they might eat the other 30 someday.

e: i get that you're australian but servers in my state get paid $4.25 an hour and not all of them get tipped even decently. the cutoff for that $4.25 wage is getting $20 a month in tips. it's pretty hosed out there.

The thing with any console is it's not a one-and-done purchase. It is fundamentally a long-term investment on your gameplay going forward, and what you choose is going to affect all of that. You also keep ignoring that the RRP is not the end of the story on pricing; Both models have and will cop discounts, and if you're already looking at a Switch Lite price-point and an original Switch can (and will) land near that on a decent sale there's not much reason to stick with the inferior model. Even if the argument is "well I can get a Lite and X games for this price", you can get a Switch now for that price and get the same games later while still having the better model for the long-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acems
May 8, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing with any console is it's not a one-and-done purchase. It is fundamentally a long-term investment on your gameplay going forward, and what you choose is going to affect all of that. You also keep ignoring that the RRP is not the end of the story on pricing; Both models have and will cop discounts, and if you're already looking at a Switch Lite price-point and an original Switch can (and will) land near that on a decent sale there's not much reason to stick with the inferior model. Even if the argument is "well I can get a Lite and X games for this price", you can get a Switch now for that price and get the same games later while still having the better model for the long-run.

i bet you're a hit at parties. an extra $30 can mean more than a month of extra saving for more people than you know! that sale might be over by then, and a lot of people buy this stuff retail for easier return policies, etc.

anyway,

are there any other party games that scratch the same creative itch as ultimate chicken horse? i'm really into creative antagonism as of late and i need more.

acems fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 14, 2019