Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I'm moving tomorrow morning at like 4am and I'm flying with my cat. I'm so worried about taking her on the plane and if she'll be ok that I can't sleep. :shrug:

im glad you're with your buddy. she will appreciate your company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

rear end posted:

Maybe you shouldn't assume I didn't talk to my psychiatrist about tapering it off?

Maybe I'm sorry about that and didn't catch it from your posts and it sounded like you just on your own went cold turkey and I found it troubling and I can't read. :colbert:

My bad.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

redsniper posted:

Maybe I'm sorry about that and didn't catch it from your posts and it sounded like you just on your own went cold turkey and I found it troubling and I can't read. :colbert:

My bad.

Es ist alles gut, my man :hai:

edit: actually yeah reading my previous post I can definitely see why you'd think that, should've probably clarified to avoid any possible confusion. My bad as well!

ass has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jul 13, 2019

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I'm moving tomorrow morning at like 4am and I'm flying with my cat. I'm so worried about taking her on the plane and if she'll be ok that I can't sleep. :shrug:

The stress is rough, please take care, and I'm sure all will be fine!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

I'm believe in you two.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
has anybody tried taking those pharmacogenetic tests to figure out which drugs will most tickle your enzymes? like, genesight or pathway genomics

a relative who's an MD recommended them but they also seem excruciatingly dystopian

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

it's a bad night. posting to commemorate it

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

juche avocado posted:

it's a bad night. posting to commemorate it

Haven’t slept in 30 hours :hellyeah:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Got dumped because I’m a depressed rear end in a top hat. poo poo sucks. Only good thing I’ve had happen to me is some old gently caress called me back after I told her she’d have to talk to a manager about getting a refund for something to ask for my name (presumably because she was mad I told her the manager is asleep since it’s 3 in the morning and somehow that offended her?) and I just laughed at her and hung up the phone.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Finally found a proper clinic for my terribly sick cat after looking around for 10 days. Cat got diagnosed with bowel obstruction and acute kidney failure. What a trip this will be

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

SunAndSpring posted:

Got dumped because I’m a depressed rear end in a top hat. poo poo sucks. Only good thing I’ve had happen to me is some old gently caress called me back after I told her she’d have to talk to a manager about getting a refund for something to ask for my name (presumably because she was mad I told her the manager is asleep since it’s 3 in the morning and somehow that offended her?) and I just laughed at her and hung up the phone.

So sorry this happened. I'm glad you were able to hang up on the bad customer.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

animist posted:

has anybody tried taking those pharmacogenetic tests to figure out which drugs will most tickle your enzymes? like, genesight or pathway genomics

a relative who's an MD recommended them but they also seem excruciatingly dystopian

I have! I've gone through a huge list of medications that didn't work, so my at the time new prescribing doc recommended GeneSight. There was one medication that was bad, everything else was normal, so hooray wasted test! So even if the test says you're okay for the medication, still doesn't mean it will work.

So it's more for finding out what you shouldn't take and avoiding it, but it's still just another shot in the dark. My recommendation, fwiw, is to base your choice on your relationship with your prescribing doc. Mine rather sucks and although his intentions were probably good, did not/could not explain the results very well after I got them.

GeneSight does have a sliding scale based on income. If you do decide to go through it, file away your test results! My ADHD rear end did not and I have no idea where they are, and now I have to trust that my pdoc filed the results at his office which ???

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

im glad you're with your buddy. she will appreciate your company

We made it with minimal yowling

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

We made it with minimal yowling

Yay!!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rear end posted:

Maybe you shouldn't assume I didn't talk to my psychiatrist about tapering it off?

Maybe you should turn on your monitor!!

wait sorry, that doesn't make any sense :blush:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I did an archery today, it owned

lots of sun, good exercise, and I seem to have a knack for it

10/10 would use to combat depression again

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/radiantquests/status/1149197565155524608

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Still feel really bad about the break-up. Just feel very confused because my ex (that really feels bad to type) says it’s because I didn’t do anything to change my depressive mindset but I just don’t get what to do without a therapist to help, and I was asking him to do more stuff with me and get myself out of my misery cave for a change. It feels really bad, I thought my talk with him was going to correct the course and we would get back on track since I had some rough spots with intimacy but I guess I just kept getting into awful moods for him to care about me anymore in that way. God, I thought I was going to say “I love you” to him soon because I very much enjoyed the time we spent together. I wish I wasn’t such a grim person, I feel like I just constantly ruin things for myself.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:sympathy: i asked out a girl yesterday and got rejected.
just take some time to work on yourself, try that therapy or something, and also get some walks out in the sun while its summer, show some skin and feel good

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I'm having a very bad brain day today. This song kinda cheers me up though so I thought I'd share it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbUQrHprUHo

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

SunAndSpring posted:

Still feel really bad about the break-up. Just feel very confused because my ex (that really feels bad to type) says it’s because I didn’t do anything to change my depressive mindset but I just don’t get what to do without a therapist to help, and I was asking him to do more stuff with me and get myself out of my misery cave for a change. It feels really bad, I thought my talk with him was going to correct the course and we would get back on track since I had some rough spots with intimacy but I guess I just kept getting into awful moods for him to care about me anymore in that way. God, I thought I was going to say “I love you” to him soon because I very much enjoyed the time we spent together. I wish I wasn’t such a grim person, I feel like I just constantly ruin things for myself.

That really sucks and I hope there is something to at least take your mind off of things and reset :(

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Any advice on avoiding falling into a boring routine and getting depressed? I got out of my parent's house and moved into an apartment in a small city for work. Before that, I was commuting back and forth which put some limits on what I could reasonably do. I definitely want to do some volunteer work and get involved in local issues while also doing something hobby related. I tried Meetup which was okay. But it is easy for me to put off going to a meeting or feeling awkward and anxious if I go to a music show by myself.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ive had so many things to do lately i barely even game anymore, which honestly is a nice change of pace. i customize my clothing and bags with sew-on patches, have a huge stack of comics to catch up on slowly, full time school and a weekend job, i go for walks, shop clothes sales if i pass by one, read books an hour at a time some mornings at a cafe, plus there are concerts as you said or movies or sports or festivals.
i used to be in a rut like you a few years ago but now i try to do a couple things from the list each day, unless its a full workday or somethin

the sertraline helps too, i'm more in the moment and less in my head

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Mundrial Mantis posted:

Any advice on avoiding falling into a boring routine and getting depressed? I got out of my parent's house and moved into an apartment in a small city for work. Before that, I was commuting back and forth which put some limits on what I could reasonably do. I definitely want to do some volunteer work and get involved in local issues while also doing something hobby related. I tried Meetup which was okay. But it is easy for me to put off going to a meeting or feeling awkward and anxious if I go to a music show by myself.

I used to be this and like to think I'm way better now. Brain medicine and meditation helped some, but really it was just going out over and over got easier the more I did it. Like everything else it gets easier with practice. I made some of my best friends going to the same (anime) meetup consistently. A lot of times early on it was like a chore but I figured it was good for me to do the social. It took about a year or so before I felt like one of the guys, but I'm slow to warm up to people.
There's not really a magic bullet. Just gotta make yourself do stuff and if you find people you can stand, try to see them consistently.
Also no one cares if you're out alone and if they do they're the rear end in a top hat, not you.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how to ask this, here it goes.

My sleep schedule is out of wack because of gerd and probably asthma too (the doc will get back to me). These issues will need to be fixed in the long run, but I need to do something in the short run.

So if my sleep schedule isn't working for night consistently, what if I aimed for sleeping during the day or afternoon? How would that even play out?

Edit: Oh, the maybe asthma thing. My PCP told me that I don't have allergies, and that I also have allergies so take allergy medication. The allergist I saw on Thursday did allergy tests that came up negative. She also did a lung test and I got much better results after using a nebulizer.

RandomPauI has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jul 15, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
when i get afternoon naps i dont sleep too well that night. but if you've tried exercise and melatonin and still cant sleep, then get z's when you can :shrug:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The gerd and maybe asthma flare up at night, so I might not be able to sleep, or I might only get a few hours sleep before waking up with trouble breathing (sinus congestion or wheezing).

What I had been doing was a few hours of sleep at night, then a few in the day. But I sleep better a few hours after sunrise. Consistent daytime sleeping feels like a better option than scattershot sleeping.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Mundrial Mantis posted:

I am currently working on digging out of this hole and regrowing my interests outside of getting blackout drunk. it's really tough! for me once I tell someone I'm going to do something or say it out loud I'll do it, but I also have gotten good at putting that off.

something kinda unique my therapist did is basically "bet" me that I would go to something I wanted to and I didn't I would have to donate $1 to a cause I don't agree with. this probably isn't for everyone and basically comes after 5 months of coming up with excuses. like another poster said, practice makes it easier. I was also really fortunate that the thing I went to was very newbie friendly

Is there anything other than shows you're into? you may want to check out your local library district, mine puts on a surprisingly large amount of events that seem cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spent the last couple days being really angry at the state of the world and also one of my cats is really sick. Trying to stay positive but it’s tough

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I did an okay job at channeling some of the negativity into something good. I made a list of stuff I wanna read (mostly Marxist stuff and a couple of sci-fi story collections) and I drew something for the first time in forever

https://twitter.com/agiantanteater/status/1150588032623501312?s=21

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Doing creative stuff is MEGA helpful, and gives you something to find meetups for. It doesn't even have to be good, especially if you're doing [whatever] for therapeutic reasons. I mean drat that's what the Blues are for.

Nice chameleon.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that chameleon is dope as hell, you should draw more lizards and stuff, and then post them here

today I’m dealing with physical pain in addition to my usual brain problems, as I broke my isolation by spending the day down at the river with people yesterday, but to compensate, I ate poo poo on some underwater rocks on the way to our spot and broke my middle toe on its front joint. it’s like swollen and reddish purple and oozing just a tad. it’s been literally weeks since I socialized with my friends, I was starting to feel deranged, so I guess it was worth it

I’ve never broken anything before, but drat, it hurts a little more than I expected. I’m also sunburned because I’m a goon and I spent six hours in the direct sun on big rocks hot enough to cook an egg. at least I’m on suboxone, I bet it would hurt more if I wasn’t already medicated, but simultaneously I’m probably developing opiate induced pain hypersensitivity and I can’t do anything about it, which is a bummer and makes me fearful about tapering

really though I’m just glad I at least have a job with a room and a chair, millions of people have to go into service jobs more busted up than I am, and then stand for eight hours or do serious labor, reminding myself of that while I limp down the hall to a meeting

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

I am currently working on digging out of this hole and regrowing my interests outside of getting blackout drunk. it's really tough! for me once I tell someone I'm going to do something or say it out loud I'll do it, but I also have gotten good at putting that off.

something kinda unique my therapist did is basically "bet" me that I would go to something I wanted to and I didn't I would have to donate $1 to a cause I don't agree with. this probably isn't for everyone and basically comes after 5 months of coming up with excuses. like another poster said, practice makes it easier. I was also really fortunate that the thing I went to was very newbie friendly

Is there anything other than shows you're into? you may want to check out your local library district, mine puts on a surprisingly large amount of events that seem cool

I just started archery. :)

It's worth googling around to see if there's a place in your area you can afford. I paid $35 at Pioneer Farms in Austin, and they brought equipment and everything.

I got two bullseyes on my last two shots :hellyeah:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

ooh archery is a cool idea. there's a bunch of places around here I can take a look at. thanks!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

redsniper posted:

Doing creative stuff is MEGA helpful, and gives you something to find meetups for. It doesn't even have to be good, especially if you're doing [whatever] for therapeutic reasons. I mean drat that's what the Blues are for.

Nice chameleon.

Frog Act posted:

that chameleon is dope as hell, you should draw more lizards and stuff, and then post them here

Thank you :) Frog Act that sucks about your toe, hope you feel better

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

my brother is seeking some help after a bout with bad depression. he's been on meds before but they didnt work for him. this is his first go 'round since getting sober and he's in a stable job with insurance and has an inexpensive place to live that he is buying from me for less than the cost of a new compact car.

he's not a kid, and he's had a tough life, but I'm really proud of him for growing up a lot in the past couple years. I hope whatever treatment they put him on is affective and his life keeps improving.

assuming he gets diagnosed with something, that'll be all four of us kids with broke brains. two are his and my stepsisters though

my wife's family is also 4/4 on mentally ill children. we are firmly against having biological kids but I'd love to run a simulation as to what we'd produce for a kid without actually burdening the poor thing with life lol

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Frog Act posted:

today I’m dealing with physical pain in addition to my usual brain problems, as I broke my isolation by spending the day down at the river with people yesterday, but to compensate, I ate poo poo on some underwater rocks on the way to our spot and broke my middle toe on its front joint. it’s like swollen and reddish purple and oozing just a tad. it’s been literally weeks since I socialized with my friends, I was starting to feel deranged, so I guess it was worth it

I’ve never broken anything before, but drat, it hurts a little more than I expected. I’m also sunburned because I’m a goon and I spent six hours in the direct sun on big rocks hot enough to cook an egg. at least I’m on suboxone, I bet it would hurt more if I wasn’t already medicated, but simultaneously I’m probably developing opiate induced pain hypersensitivity and I can’t do anything about it, which is a bummer and makes me fearful about tapering

really though I’m just glad I at least have a job with a room and a chair, millions of people have to go into service jobs more busted up than I am, and then stand for eight hours or do serious labor, reminding myself of that while I limp down the hall to a meeting

so sorry to hear about the toe, yikes. hope it heals quickly. take it easy if you can.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
congrats to your brother, glob. I know I really didn’t even feel like I started growing up until I was 25
or so. never too late to start doing right by yourself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ugato posted:

congrats to your brother, glob. I know I really didn’t even feel like I started growing up until I was 25
or so. never too late to start doing right by yourself.

Hell I’m 34 and I don’t totally feel like a grown up. Glob I’m glad your brother is getting help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

thanks folks! it took me longer than him to finally go, and i would have likely wallowed in it without a very supportive significant other. he's doing right for himself, by himself and I'm proud of him.