Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Genericide posted:

What are some good matches with a guest referee?

Ken Patera vs. Bruno Sammartino on March 7, 1977 with Gorilla Monsoon as guest ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i can see the logic with it being a hybrid of the tombstone and the powerbomb but they did not really do anything with it also tuck in your fukken head jesus

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TheSwizzler posted:

When did the New Generation era really start or end? It's easy to say that it's based on the WWE using the term in their marketing, I've got my own guess on this.

KOTR 93 with the departure of Hogan to Bret's heel turn in '97 where a proto-Attitude era started. Or maybe that time Bret said "bullshit" unbleeped on Raw a month or so earlier

I would say by Wrestlemania 9 they were pretty much there. Sure, Hogan was still around but look at the rest of the card. It was a huge turnover from the previous wrestlemania.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You can put the finger of the end of the New Generation around 1997 or Austin's rise in popularity.
The clean break is WM 14. By that point the Attitude Era had begun in earnest and the two pillars who held up the New Generation were gone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Genericide posted:

What are some good matches with a guest referee?

Bret Hart vs. Undertaker at Summerslam 1997 with Shawn Michaels as guest referee is a particular favorite of mine, because Shawn plays such a pivotal part in the ending in a way that services two ongoing storylines (and helped launch a third, as it lead to the debut of Kane at the end of the follow-up match between Taker/HBK).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ChrisBTY posted:

You can put the finger of the end of the New Generation around 1997 or Austin's rise in popularity.
The clean break is WM 14. By that point the Attitude Era had begun in earnest and the two pillars who held up the New Generation were gone.

Bret/Austin is considered the turning point but it was definitely a transition period for the rest of 97, with a lot of New Generation geeks still hanging on in the undercard and the creative team in flux. Russo was gaining more influence by that point, but they still had Cornette and Prichard and others to keep a leash on him.

By Mania 14, with Russo in full charge and the main event ending with Mike Tyson jumping in the ring to count the pin despite not even being a guest ref, it was decidedly Attitude Era from then on out, with all the good and bad that entailed.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Simmons and Bradshaw had a reputation during their time as the APA for being stiff as hell, especially in that match with Public Enemy. Then JBL decided to continue the tradition by sticking his thumb in random assholes in the locker room and breaking Blue Meanie's face.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

davidbix posted:

It's weird that they dub it like that, too, because American Badass only plays for about a second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2XqEbyoWm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHrZ1R-AuOU

I really don't think that first video is the original broadcast. I still have it on VHS somewhere and while production still hosed up the timing, he comes down once "I am an American Badass..." hits, not right after the "He's here"

EDIT: It really looks like they edited it in order to cut out the song and the gently caress up. The song definitely played during his entrance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

When did the New Generation era really start or end? It's easy to say that it's based on the WWE using the term in their marketing, I've got my own guess on this.

KOTR 93 with the departure of Hogan to Bret's heel turn in '97 where a proto-Attitude era started. Or maybe that time Bret said "bullshit" unbleeped on Raw a month or so earlier

My pick for the start of the New Generation is Survivor Series 1992:

- The show takes place in-between the last real episode of Saturday Night's Main Event and the first episode of Monday Night Raw.

- Initially a huge push for Razor Ramon.

- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels was announced as a nothing match, but they both won singles titles going into the show so it suddenly became the main event. The most hyped match ended up on the midcard.

- Warrior left the company a couple weeks before, being replaced by Mr. Perfect. Face Mr. Perfect's run consisted of running Flair out of the company, then putting over Lex Luger, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

- Yokozuna's first match against a named opponent.

- Big Boss Man's last relevant match during his classic run.

- Undertaker's match is basically the catalyst for the whole Giant Gonzalez thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What are some of the most underwhelming surprise returns in terms of live crowd reactions? Brian Christopher got nothing for his last return with whatever Lawler angle that was but he was never that big to begin with and gassing yourself just dancing isn't impressive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the most underwhelming surprise returns in terms of live crowd reactions? Brian Christopher got nothing for his last return with whatever Lawler angle that was but he was never that big to begin with and gassing yourself just dancing isn't impressive.

Tito Ortiz by a mile.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sunny came out to near-silence during the Mcmahon family portrait segment

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Admiral Joeslop posted:

that edit of the video with a raucous jesus pop accompanying that return was v funny until he died

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

shiksa posted:

that edit of the video with a raucous jesus pop accompanying that return was v funny until he died

i forgot he died and now feel p. bad about it. he was in that super hot 10 man tag vs. the radicals which is probably a greater legacy than i will leave on this poo poo earth :rip:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The crowd itself gave an okay pop, but "It's...it's Christian." will always be one of the funniest goddamn things in the world.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lost my old email posted:

i forgot he died and now feel p. bad about it. he was in that super hot 10 man tag vs. the radicals which is probably a greater legacy than i will leave on this poo poo earth :rip:

i mean he was my 3rd favorite member of too cool but i cannot deny that i was a big fan of that whole act, grand master sexay included. poo poo, my brother was a huuuuuge too cool mark when he still liked wrestling. im pretty sure he got the shades at some point.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Gavok posted:

Tito Ortiz by a mile.

I still load up "AUGUST 1 WARNING" occasionally and laugh every time. Tito standing there with his arms folded with that stupid look on his face while the terrible ring music plays along with the cuts to Mr Anderson looking bored while scratching his head is one of the all time great so bad its good moments in wrestling. Also the absolute dead silence from the crowd, on a loving taped show no less, just adds to it. This could have been fixed in editing! But nah gently caress it lets have more shots of bored Mr Anderson why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

An Actual Bear posted:

I still load up "AUGUST 1 WARNING" occasionally and laugh every time. Tito standing there with his arms folded with that stupid look on his face while the terrible ring music plays along with the cuts to Mr Anderson looking bored while scratching his head is one of the all time great so bad its good moments in wrestling. Also the absolute dead silence from the crowd, on a loving taped show no less, just adds to it. This could have been fixed in editing! But nah gently caress it lets have more shots of bored Mr Anderson why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y

God drat Aces And Eights was so fuckin' lame

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"We watched one episode of Sons of Anarchy"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really don't think that first video is the original broadcast. I still have it on VHS somewhere and while production still hosed up the timing, he comes down once "I am an American Badass..." hits, not right after the "He's here"

EDIT: It really looks like they edited it in order to cut out the song and the gently caress up. The song definitely played during his entrance.
I had the PPV version for years, too, and while I remember the timing issues (and it looks like there might be a *slight* tweak in those videos), but...

The basic sequence of "I'm scared...HE'S HERE!" -> only about a second or two of American Badass (with no vocals heard) starts playing as Taker rides to ringside super fast and the director misses most of the entrance was exactly how I remembered it before pulling up the clip. There was never a point where Kid Rock's vocals were played on that show. Plus the timing of the finish isn't fixed on those clips, and I remember hearing that they altered the finish on the DVD.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

davidbix posted:

I had the PPV version for years, too, and while I remember the timing issues (and it looks like there might be a *slight* tweak in those videos), but...

The basic sequence of "I'm scared...HE'S HERE!" -> only about a second or two of American Badass (with no vocals heard) starts playing as Taker rides to ringside super fast and the director misses most of the entrance was exactly how I remembered it before pulling up the clip. There was never a point where Kid Rock's vocals were played on that show. Plus the timing of the finish isn't fixed on those clips, and I remember hearing that they altered the finish on the DVD.

I'm actually really surprised, because I can't imagine how else I would have known what song that was when Taker came out considering how little of it was played. We're also talking almost twenty years ago.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Those clips are how I remember it too, having a VHS of the live PPV. It’s possible that they re-edited it for a promo package at some point.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Haku in 2001. I had no idea who the gently caress he was and neither did anyone in the arena.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bull Buchanan returning for whatever that thing with John Cena was.

E: I have a question. Why did Al Snow and The Coach replace JR and King on RAW commentary for a brief period in 2003? Where King and JR working on a movie or something?

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 14, 2019

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Could I have some suggestions for "obviously evil" moves? Like you just hit that once and people immediately understand that the person that did it is the bad guy, for sure.

Stuff like the Curb Stomp, Blade Runner, Kamigoye...Not necessarily dangerous, just seriously gently caress You Specifically moves.

(While trying to brainstorm these I thought the whole "forcing someone to be held in place" element really makes them come off as more evil, especially with no other context to the character executing the move)

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm actually really surprised, because I can't imagine how else I would have known what song that was when Taker came out considering how little of it was played. We're also talking almost twenty years ago.

Same. My memory is garbage but I am sure I heard at least ‘I am American Badass’ because it is the only positive association I had for Kid Rock because that was such a great moment.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Artelier posted:

Could I have some suggestions for "obviously evil" moves? Like you just hit that once and people immediately understand that the person that did it is the bad guy, for sure.

Stuff like the Curb Stomp, Blade Runner, Kamigoye...Not necessarily dangerous, just seriously gently caress You Specifically moves.

(While trying to brainstorm these I thought the whole "forcing someone to be held in place" element really makes them come off as more evil, especially with no other context to the character executing the move)

Eye poke is a classic
Elbow stomp (or any stomping really)

Generally any moves that are used to injure certain body part (although those can also be used to show the talent of a cool technical wrestler)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

E: I have a question. Why did Al Snow and The Coach replace JR and King on RAW commentary for a brief period in 2003? Where King and JR working on a movie or something?
Pretty sure it was just a dumb storyline thing. Al Snow and Coachman used to do commentary on HEAT and they teamed up as heel commentators to feud with JR and Lawler. They had a match at Unforgiven 2003 for the right to be commentators on RAW.
It was literally just for a week. Unforgiven 2003 was on September 21st, Snow and Coach presented the Sept 22 RAW and then JR and Lawler were back again on the 29th after JR beat Coach on that RAW..

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artelier posted:

Any sort of arrogant pin cover. Think Jericho's "Cocky Pin" as the video games called it where he put one foot on the opponent's chest and flexed. ("COME ON, BABY!")

Vaguely related I've noticed that getting out of the ring and just walking around is a huge source of heat and a total heel move. It's also just plain common sense and anybody would do it if they were getting their teeth kicked in. Get out of dodge and collect your breath.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 14, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Any sort of arrogant pin cover. Think Jericho's "Cocky Pin" as the video games called it where he put one foot on the opponent's chest and flexed. ("COME ON, BABY!")

Vaguely related I've noticed that getting out of the ring and just walking around is a huge source of heat and a total heel move. It's also just plain common sense and anybody would do it if they were getting their teeth kicked in. Get out of dodge and collect your breath.

Just ask Dean Malenko.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Artelier posted:

lackadaisical kicks to an opponent trying to stand up, usually on all fours

a slap to the face of an opponent tied up in the ropes after doing a clean break

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Artelier posted:

Chop blocks are a surefire dirty move. You don't generally take someone's knee out like that unless you're a real bag of dicks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Putting your feet on the ropes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Idk if I saw this or jus thought it up but the coolest heel move would be interrupting a long back and forth of pinning combinations by just poking your opponent in the eyes and then doing a regular lateral press or some other lazy pin attempt

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jesus WEP posted:

Idk if I saw this or jus thought it up but the coolest heel move would be interrupting a long back and forth of pinning combinations by just poking your opponent in the eyes and then doing a regular lateral press or some other lazy pin attempt

Jimmy Havoc does stuff like that.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

CombineThresher posted:

Jimmy Havoc does stuff like that.

Hikaru Shirai, too.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I always pop for the heel doing something dastardly after he has driven the face to ropes and ref breaks it up.

Like when Kenny mocking Taguchi

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Gavok posted:

My pick for the start of the New Generation is Survivor Series 1992:

- The show takes place in-between the last real episode of Saturday Night's Main Event and the first episode of Monday Night Raw.

- Initially a huge push for Razor Ramon.

- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels was announced as a nothing match, but they both won singles titles going into the show so it suddenly became the main event. The most hyped match ended up on the midcard.

- Warrior left the company a couple weeks before, being replaced by Mr. Perfect. Face Mr. Perfect's run consisted of running Flair out of the company, then putting over Lex Luger, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

- Yokozuna's first match against a named opponent.

- Big Boss Man's last relevant match during his classic run.

- Undertaker's match is basically the catalyst for the whole Giant Gonzalez thing.

It's a pretty good place to pick with Hart's title run, Tatanka hanging around, Crushbrah brahing out, but I still think having Hogan around upstaging the title with his feuds places it in a transitional phase.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

It's a pretty good place to pick with Hart's title run, Tatanka hanging around, Crushbrah brahing out, but I still think having Hogan around upstaging the title with his feuds places it in a transitional phase.

I find Hogan's run during this time to be more comparable to the Warrior's New Generation run. He shows up for a handful of shows and a couple PPVs to relive his glory days, but even as he disrupts everything they're building, it's apparent that this isn't his time anymore and he abruptly leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
KENTA's been pretty outspoken about how much he was muzzled in WWE but as someone who's never watched a single episode of 205 Live and basically only ever saw him when he first arrived in NXT before his first injury, my question is what exactly did "Hideo Itami"... do? Like, what was his style if he wasn't allowed to be a hard striker? Based on his two matches in the G1 so far I can't really imagine him without the strikes, that's like the meat of his arsenal.