Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

By that same logic why bother implementing different models for Dynamaxing if nobody is going to care about them a generation from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

You raise another point. If Pokemon lay eggs, why would Mew be pregnant and giving birth? Usually we don't refer to the laying of the egg as giving birth. You can submit that eggs weren't a thing in Gen I, but concept art and the programming of the game demonstrates that eggs were at least planned this far back.

that's a legitimately good point. Maybe you're right.

My point though wasn't that Pokemon (naturally) lay eggs, it's that Pokemon eggs are created by a process that isn't understood, and that Pokemon eggs are only "eggs" superficially. We have Pokemon that arise in response to human created technology (remember, Voltorb's appearance is based on Pokeballs, not the other way around) so while they are biological creatures with natural processes, Pokemon have some kind of low-key animism thing going on.

... Man, that kind of destroys my point that Mew has to be some kind of obscure/poorly understood normal Pokemon, doesn't it? Rescinding all that, then.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 14, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Golden Gael posted:

You raise another point. If Pokemon lay eggs, why would Mew be pregnant and giving birth? Usually we don't refer to the laying of the egg as giving birth. You can submit that eggs weren't a thing in Gen I, but concept art and the programming of the game demonstrates that eggs were at least planned this far back.

The Pokedex also states that Cubone "lost its mother after birth" ... in Crystal.

Neither the games nor the anime have ever been particularly big on consistency.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Pokemons are animals that eat and reproduce like animals IMO. Anything contradicting this fact in the games or anime is a kid-friendly lie. No gods no masters

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

some of them are literally paranormal monsters that may or may not be disembodied spirits from the afterlife

if they and the likes of the living exploding pokeball and floating icicles and the ones made of rocks have anything in common with the likes of the more animal-like ones, the idea that they're all some kind of semi-mystical creature that propogates by "magic" so to speak feels like more consistent world building to me than the idea that they all reproduce the same way real animals do.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Farecoal posted:

why is route 1 so short in xy, and why isn't the players hometown just Aquacorde

I was just talking about this in the Discord a couple days ago (I just restarted X).

Route 1 should have been a bridge like the one going out of Aquacorde, and Vaniville should have been a part of it, like the residential area compared to the more commercial parts of the city.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

some of them are literally paranormal monsters that may or may not be disembodied spirits from the afterlife

if they and the likes of the living exploding pokeball and floating icicles and the ones made of rocks have anything in common with the likes of the more animal-like ones, the idea that they're all some kind of semi-mystical creature that propogates by "magic" so to speak feels like more consistent world building to me than the idea that they all reproduce the same way real animals do.

Most “Ghost” Pokemon are essentially sentient clouds. The more mystical ones are usually tangible shadows or objects with some strange soul powers.

The types that seem to be straight up magic are Fairies and some of the higher order Dragons and Ghosts.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm slightly uncomfortable with every pokemon coming from an egg because it applies that every pokemon species capable of reproduction is in possession of a cloaca

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think it's unreasonable to say Gamefreak probably could do better than this but they're being rushed, while at the same time acknowledging that they hosed up and they are also probably well aware that they need to reevaluate their asset generation/project management processes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

Most “Ghost” Pokemon are essentially sentient clouds. The more mystical ones are usually tangible shadows or objects with some strange soul powers.

The types that seem to be straight up magic are Fairies and some of the higher order Dragons and Ghosts.

only Gastly and arguably its evolutions are made of gas. Banette and Shuppet are literally dolls, for instance.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nodosaur posted:

true, I forgot some are the souls of literal dead humans, those are paranormal, and then there are deoxys, groudon, dialga, etc.

otherwise? animals

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Farecoal posted:

true, I forgot some are the souls of literal dead humans, those are paranormal, and then there are deoxys, groudon, dialga, etc.

otherwise? animals

Then how exactly are they all Pokemon? Why can Gengar breed with an Eelektross, which I assume you'd consider an "animal"? What unifies Pokemon as a group if they don't share similar traits and proccesses?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to say Gamefreak probably could do better than this but they're being rushed, while at the same time acknowledging that they hosed up and they are also probably well aware that they need to reevaluate their asset generation/project management processes.

That's not unreasonable, unfortunately it feels like the discourse here has degraded into Reddit-level yelling so that ship's sailed a while ago.

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm slightly uncomfortable with every pokemon coming from an egg because it applies that every pokemon species capable of reproduction is in possession of a cloaca

Do we have a stork Pokemon?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dias posted:

That's not unreasonable, unfortunately it feels like the discourse here has degraded into Reddit-level yelling so that ship's sailed a while ago.

Do we have a stork Pokemon?

In my analogy above, the "stork" is Arceus, and he has to show up and use a bunch of Unown to warp reality every single time you want to try and breed for a shiny.

The reason why the breeding couple don't know where it come from is because they are repeatedly mind broken by that trippy rear end sequence from HGSS.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

Have you actually been to reddit lately?

People here have been mostly civil and reasonable about the entire thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheKingofSprings posted:

Have you actually been to reddit lately?

People here have been mostly civil and reasonable about the entire thing.

Yeah, in my experience here and elsewhere on SA, it's a lot of attacking the arguments, not the poster.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kind of loathe to give this place too much credit, on account someone tried to change my avatar this morning to imply I have a sexual relationship with Masuda.

I really, really hate that I have to do this and it's incredibly loving embarassing, but I have a history with sexual trauma that comes from being groomed, so if nothing else, I would hope whomever did that reconsiders it before doing something like it to someone again. It was very upsetting.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 14, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nodosaur posted:

I'm kind of loathe to give this place too much credit, on account someone tried to change my avatar this morning to imply I have a sexual relationship with Masuda.

I really, really hate that I have to do this and it's incredibly loving embarassing, but I have a history with sexual trauma that comes from being groomed, so if nothing else, I would hope whomever did that reconsiders it before doing it. It was very upsetting.

There is that :smith:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Pokemons are animals that eat and reproduce like animals IMO. Anything contradicting this fact in the games or anime is a kid-friendly lie. No gods no masters

Right but then explain skitty x wailord.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Avalerion posted:

Whales are mammals of course, hence why it's in the field egg group, which is composed of mostly mammals.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

I mean have you tried to make a whale gently caress a cat? Can you say, with absolute confidence, that something would not result from that? :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Andrast posted:

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

I've never turned off animations except for in gen 4.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

iospace posted:

There is that :smith:

This is what I'm talking about, it devolved into Reddit-level garbage a while ago. We even got a dude "ironically" hoping that GF got bombed or something like that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dias posted:

This is what I'm talking about, it devolved into Reddit-level garbage a while ago. We even got a dude "ironically" hoping that GF got bombed or something like that.

It's okay, because they're a soulless multi-billion dollar corporation, so anything less than demanding their eternal suffering is you essentially taking a bullet for Elon Musk for free.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've never turned off animations except for in gen 4.

That was the gen that taught me to do so. And it still managed to be unbearable at times. The moment they made repels easy to reaactivate is the highest point in this series for me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

It's okay, because they're a soulless multi-billion dollar corporation, so anything less than demanding their eternal suffering is you essentially taking a bullet for Elon Musk for free.

You don't get to evoke dirtbag leftism when you're only doing it because you're pissy you're not getting all you wanted from a goddamn videogame. This actually illustrates my point, any possible nuance like the post I first quoted is fuckin' gone by now.

edit: just saying my peace because I'd rather keep up with poo poo by following this thread and it's really becoming...pretty garbage. I'd like for people to reflect on it instead of calling mods because it'd be really dumb to have to put a moratorium on discussing the new Pokemon game in the Pokemon thread.

Dias fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 14, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

Unironically source your quote on that one

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unironically source your quote on that one

I'd have to scour the thread and quote the offender, which would probably lead to more garbage ITT and also would take effort, so ain't gonna do it, but I have to reason to lie about this poo poo.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

But why the issue with demanding better things instead of consuming mindlessly?
Someone online does something dumb and bad and now you'd rather believe everyone with the same opinion is also dumb and bad, what the gently caress is your problem?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dias posted:

I'd have to scour the thread and quote the offender, which would probably lead to more garbage ITT and also would take effort, so ain't gonna do it, but I have to reason to lie about this poo poo.

People have been parroting that for weeks but no one has actually produced said quote. Its acting like a rhetorical trick to say anyone upset about the Pokedex stuff actually wants to bomb Gamefreak and actually its everyone else who is the poor put upon reasonable people.

If you're going to bring up an accusation like that, back it up. Otherwise you're just trying to shut down people who disagree with you and retreat behind a shield if they call you out

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 14, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

qnqnx posted:

But why the issue with demanding better things instead of consuming mindlessly?
Someone online does something dumb and bad and now you'd rather believe everyone with the same opinion is also dumb and bad, what the gently caress is your problem?

I didn't say anything about people being dumb and bad, I'm saying this discourse is getting bad! :sigh:

Zore posted:

People have been parroting that for weeks but no one has actually produced said quote. Its acting like a rhetorical trick to say anyone upset about the Pokedex stuff actually wants to bomb Gamefreak and actually its everyone else who is the poor put upon reasonable people.

If you're going to bring up an accusation like that, back it up. Otherwise you're just trying to shut down people who disagree with you and retreat behind a shield if they call you out

This thread moves fast and SA's search sucks, all I remember was something on that level being said, someone following it up with "that's not cool" and someone going "nah, actually gently caress 'em". AGAIN, I didn't equate you or people that dislike GF's decisions to whoever said that, but the discourse has went to poo poo, and y'know what, this kinda proves it to me.

I'll just unbookmark because apparently I'm imagining poo poo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dias posted:

You don't get to evoke dirtbag leftism when you're only doing it because you're pissy you're not getting all you wanted from a goddamn videogame. This actually illustrates my point, any possible nuance like the post I first quoted is fuckin' gone by now.

edit: just saying my peace because I'd rather keep up with poo poo by following this thread and it's really becoming...pretty garbage. I'd like for people to reflect on it instead of calling mods because it'd be really dumb to have to put a moratorium on discussing the new Pokemon game in the Pokemon thread.

For the record that dude was being extremely sarcastic, and not actually invoking "dirtbag leftism" over a video game

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saagonsa posted:

For the record that dude was being extremely sarcastic, and not actually invoking "dirtbag leftism" over a video game

I can't even tell anymore, if so I apologize. I'll make good on my promise to stop following the thread after this reply too, before poo poo gets worse. Sorry. If anyone wants to say anything I got PMs.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It sounds like you need to stay off of the other sites if they've got you this riled up. I see the whine videos on YouTube, I don't click even if I might have the same views on it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I really, really hate that I have to do this and it's incredibly loving embarassing, but I have a history with sexual trauma that comes from being groomed, so if nothing else, I would hope whomever did that reconsiders it before doing something like it to someone again. It was very upsetting.

Im sorry that happened to you. I hope youre doing okay today. You're a nice person :)

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t think I am, to be honest. But as a survivor I figured I should say something for the sake of anyone else.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Avalerion posted:

They actually produce sterile eggs since their DNA is too disimilar but the daycare couple give you a skitty or wailord egg they had lying around

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Farecoal posted:

They actually produce sterile eggs since their DNA is too disimilar but the daycare couple give you a skitty or wailord egg they had lying around

this is true. I've read about this in Masuda's diary

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

lmao dirtbag leftism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can we discuss actual stuff instead of getting mad at video games?

Thanks