Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

asecondduck posted:

Does Bebop do a lot of parody/deconstruction of anime? I honestly don't know, I don't know enough anime.

I just saw it was a western, but anime

No. Bebop has/makes zero recognition of being an anime show, and is much more about cinema genres. One of the episodes is basically a 30-minutes distillation of Alien, and the character plot that (arguably) bookends the series is a major homage to yakuza films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Look what you made me do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCOiP8Pgh4

LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME DO I HOPE YOU'RE FUCKIN HAPPY

<3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Haunted by the ghost of Marilyn Monroe, possessed by Fred Flintstone."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tropical Storm Barry was supposed to hit here today and it didn't, so I've been binging Barry. Just finished the episode in season 2 with Barry fighting the guy who's sleeping with the police guy's ex-wife who's a Tae Kwon Do master with a daughter he trains who Barry calls a "feral mongoose".

Holy poo poo, that was some of the best physical comedy I've seen in a long time :allears:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 14, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who liked Friday Night Lights should very much check out season 3 of Last Chance U on Netflix. It's really really great

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Throw on some Boondocks and decide to google see what McGruder is up to. A REBOOT OF THE SHOW WAS ANNOUNCED LAST MONTH! Day made.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Full reboot, or just making more episodes?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

Full reboot, or just making more episodes?

Reboot, it sounds like the new version will have Uncle Ruckus as the main villain.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder if he's still a 9/11 truther or if he's only gotten worse over the past decade.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

9/11 conspiracies are almost tame now. I mean, compared to Flat Earthers and QAnon and anti-vaxxers and Sandy Hook truthers and Area 51-storming disclosure and lizard people....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

If tons of people weren't watching anime on Netflix, I doubt they'd keep ordering new series.

Who the hell knows why netflix does poo poo.

MiddleOne posted:

Like off the top of my head, Netflix has:

If you have hangups about anime:
Anohana
Erased
Aggretsuko
One Punch Man
Saiki K

If you don't have hangups about anime:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Death Note
Code Geass
Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Zero
Neon Genesis Evangelion

At the risk of getting into a very tedious argument about semantics, I don't see how people who don't like anime are going to like those first animes any more than those other animes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Because anime is a style not a genre

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is it anime if it isn't Japanese. I looked at the IMDB for Castlevania and I don't see any Japanese names credited.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anime is a state of mind

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

What if someone doesn't like the style.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Erased and Aggretsuko do have legit crossover appeal, tho

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The argument of what is anime and what isn't is the second most intolerable argument after the debates over what band falls into a sub-category of metal music.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the Lost pilot again for some reason. It's still really good. No production values can match just filming in Hawaii.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Arist posted:

Erased and Aggretsuko do have legit crossover appeal, tho

When your show is made by a stationery company whose entire business is built around making mascot characters that are laser-focused to appeal to demographics that is to be expected.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no seriously, why do you post like this

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

At the risk of getting into a very tedious argument about semantics, I don't see how people who don't like anime are going to like those first animes any more than those other animes.

All of the shows I put below (with Death Note probably being the only arguable one) are tough stickers because they are stories that could either have never been anything but an anime or manga, that for one reason or another has barriers to entry or that are literally just a shounen story. Of course it's just my opinion but Erased, Aggretsuko and even One Punch Man and Saiki K are laser-focused shows that do one thing and do it very well without relying on the watcher being able to stomach anime genre conventions.

I could never say that about something like Code Geass, which no matter how much teenage me loved it, is a show that is all over the place. But we don't have to get into an argument about the semantics of it, it's just my opinion and I pre-faced it the way I did because it ever so slightly increased the chance that one more person might get introduced to a show like Saiki K and its surrealist humour or Aggretsuko and it's depiction of being a young adult in a soul-crunching workplace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That is a very sensible answer and my curiosity has been satisfied.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally sat and watched Chernobyl. Amazing indeed, unbelievably tense the entire way through, although bearable. I was worried it'd be worse (as in, harder to watch) based on some of the things said in this thread. Overall just so well done.

precision posted:

Its a medium, not a style or a genre. There is also a common style within anime, but not all anime follows that style at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lurdiak posted:

No its definitely a thing. Its like, some British shows are more palatable to American audiences, where some are more distinctly British in tone or humor or content. Does that make sense?

Similarly, some anime is just great shows that happens to be anime. But other anime is very particularly Japanese in its style or humor, and those things are going to turn off some American audiences not used to them. But other anime that isn't as strongly into that style of humor will appeal more.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the Lost pilot again for some reason. It's still really good. No production values can match just filming in Hawaii.

At the time my entire family and my girlfriend were obsessed by Lost but it's just a show I couldn't get into. I'd be curious to watch it at some point, given just how big it still looms in the cultural consciousness, being to TV what the MCU is to movies,* and given that Abrams movie career basically is a result of it.

I think the only episodes I've seen are the pilot, the Constant, and some late show episode with Allison Janney that I think set up the backstory of a main character? I actually thought all three were very good, even though I was a bit lost (no pun intended) on the latter two. Though apparently those three are also highly regarded episodes in general?

*Actually as I was typing this, are shows copying Lost still a thing? I know for a real long time it seemed like every show was trying to copy its mystery format, but I feel like in the last few years the TV landscape has kind of moved beyond it finally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FX+ is being shutdown by Disney, FX Now will continue operating. FX+ will be replaced by FX shows just being on Hulu.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/14/disney-fx-plus-shutdown/

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Chairman Capone posted:

*Actually as I was typing this, are shows copying Lost still a thing? I know for a real long time it seemed like every show was trying to copy its mystery format, but I feel like in the last few years the TV landscape has kind of moved beyond it finally.

Several current shows like The Handmaid's Tale and Orange is the New Black still follow its (brilliant) episode structure for character development.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chairman Capone posted:

All the Lost copycats failed because they didn’t understand what made Lost great. Having a huge mystery doesn’t count for anything if you don’t have compelling characters and a good week to week plot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Anime has a stigma because, as someone who enjoys Attack on Titan, we've had several pages of ~anime discussion~ that hasn't really discussed a single show, only genre conventions and what it means to be anime...

It's really pedantic to have a discussion purely about genre tropes and whether people will enjoy/dislike those without ever mentioning the actual merits of any of the shows...

:shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time I try to talk about good non traditional anime like Bartender or Honey and Clover literally nobody responds

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

Several current shows like The Handmaid's Tale and Orange is the New Black still follow its (brilliant) episode structure for character development.

I was actually thinking about this--Lost couldn't have been the first TV show to do that structure, right? It seems so obvious and, let's face it, a little lazy (but, due to execution, was also brilliant).

But I can't think of another show that did it regularly, so...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

asecondduck posted:

I was actually thinking about this--Lost couldn't have been the first TV show to do that structure, right? It seems so obvious and, let's face it, a little lazy (but, due to execution, was also brilliant).

But I can't think of another show that did it regularly, so...

Shows like Northern Exposure and thirtysomething were the big pioneers of that style. My So Called Life did it too.

Edit: Picket Fences too

precision fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 14, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Honey and Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6-mXjNqbQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blocked in my country, but a show's opening credits aren't necessarily a reflection on the show. It's a slice of life dramedy about art school students.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

What is the "Lost structure for character development"? Flashbacks to inform context?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched episode 1 of Too Old To Die Young. Man, that seemed to last for so long. I should've known given it's Refn and I'm familiar with his pacing. But I have 9 more episodes of this???

Also was the theme of the first episode ACAB? Because I already believe that IRL and the show's just selling it even more!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bruceski posted:

What is the "Lost structure for character development"? Flashbacks to inform context?

Throw spaghetti at the wall until your character arcs bend around into a full circle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

Watched episode 1 of Too Old To Die Young. Man, that seemed to last for so long. I should've known given it's Refn and I'm familiar with his pacing. But I have 9 more episodes of this???

Also was the theme of the first episode ACAB? Because I already believe that IRL and the show's just selling it even more!

Please keep posting your reactions in here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

I think more it's the way every episode focuses on one person or perspective to slowly give you more context about the characters. Like I said, Northern Exposure was great about doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The flashbacks just made it very explicit which character is being focused on for that episode.