Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The cult has already approved a mate for Dani
https://twitter.com/imbobswaget/status/1150131796593598464?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that'd be creepy for me and i'm a decade younger than braff.

Wolfsheim posted:

If you were to describe the premise of "a teen goes to a house party to get laid but begrudgingly brings his weird asthmatic sister and then strikes out with the girl after giving her weed and THEN forgets her inhaler and THEN is driving so recklessly she gets decapitated and then he awkwardly sits there for like five minutes" and then I told you it was a scene in an 'edgy' early 2000s Hangover-esque comedy you wouldn't bat an eye. Admittedly they would've added a "gulp!" sound effect after he stops the car and wouldn't have later cut to her severed head but the initial hit is totally edited that way!

Since the director decided to make the sequel a lot more overtly jokey and make all the characters over-the-top unlikable I would argue this was at least partially deliberate:colbert:

you have brain issues.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Wolfsheim posted:

If you were to describe the premise of "a teen goes to a house party to get laid but begrudgingly brings his weird asthmatic sister and then strikes out with the girl after giving her weed and THEN forgets her inhaler and THEN is driving so recklessly she gets decapitated and then he awkwardly sits there for like five minutes" and then I told you it was a scene in an 'edgy' early 2000s Hangover-esque comedy you wouldn't bat an eye. Admittedly they would've added a "gulp!" sound effect after he stops the car and wouldn't have later cut to her severed head but the initial hit is totally edited that way!

Since the director decided to make the sequel a lot more overtly jokey and make all the characters over-the-top unlikable I would argue this was at least partially deliberate:colbert:

I don't remember the fratricide scene in the 40 year old virgin but I haven't seen it in a while

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wolfsheim posted:

Hahaha it was worse than that. She had a deadly peanut allergy and established in the opening of the movie they were careless with the epipens and left them at home regularly

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

bort posted:

I don’t think we know. I just got out of my second time seeing it. Edit: We know it’s not the couple from the ättestupa, because we see them get burned.

The two are in fact the elderly people from the attestupa. The faces are their death masks and the "bodies" are proxies made from plants/trees.

veni veni veni posted:

So did any of you guys score that crappy looking bear toy that A24 made before it sold out?

It sold out literally within seconds. I was refreshing.

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 14, 2019

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If anyone is super bummed about missing out on the bear i think its literally this one stuck in a little wooden cage with an aquarium plant as a garland.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MJU9RE?pf_rd_p=2d1ab404-3b11-4c97-b3db-48081e145e35&pf_rd_r=33WTQT1Z49RNAA1DDVQB

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Holy poo poo, the leading man is the teenager-fucker from Transformers 4. The guy who carries a card in his wallet stating that the county's Romeo & Juliet law protects him (Why this happens in a movie about giant-robots is beyond me). That adds another uncomfortable layer with him screwing that really young woman who looks like 14.

I'm depressed to realise at 27 I'm older than the leads of this movie, except for Josh's actor who is actually 39.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Holy poo poo, the leading man is the teenager-fucker from Transformers 4. The guy who carries a card in his wallet stating that the county's Romeo & Juliet law protects him (Why this happens in a movie about giant-robots is beyond me). That adds another uncomfortable layer with him screwing that really young woman who looks like 14.

I'm depressed to realise at 27 I'm older than the leads of this movie, except for Josh's actor who is actually 39.

Goddamn, William Jackson Harper looks good for being 40. I didn't bat an eye at him being alongside 20 somethings.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I love the pitch black humor in Asters movies. The part where the old man jumps of the cliff and lands on his feet was great

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you and the guy howling at the car decapitation scene would get along well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I mean, just because it was gnarly doesn’t mean it wasn’t humorous.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m pretty sure the scene I referred to was intentionally funny. It’s this wide shot as contrasted to the lady who jumped before him Funny contrast.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don't think the guy landing on his feet is funny on its own. But the subsequent giant mallet smashing, followed by two additional unnecessary mallet smashings is pretty funny

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 14, 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also the fact that he goes feet first like someone doing a lame high-dive jump is a great image.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

The old guy landing on his legs actually was darkly funny.

I'm all for laughing at morbid poo poo, I just feel like there was really nothing funny about Charlie's death scene. it was mostly just hosed up and tragic. The old guy breaking his legs wasn't laugh out loud funny and that scene was pretty gripping, but the whole scenario was pretty much in line with the more absurd poo poo in the movie . Just trying to go out gracefully, failing miserably and then getting your head smashed by some teenager with a mallet has some humor in it.

Also what other people have said. I'm pretty sure it was intended to be sort of funny.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I think there are many moments in both this and Hereditary which are intentionally designed to feel funny and horrific at the same time. And for me at least this works in a very uniquely unnerving way.

e: I might not remember correctly, but the absolutely absurdly horrific event of Charlie getting her head smashed in might have prompted a short nervous laughter out of me. Maybe as some sort of a defense mechanic.

Joakim Brecht fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 14, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Groovelord Neato posted:

look, kubrick had to shove a rag in his mouth to stop from laughing because he thought the guy doing singing in the rain during the rape scene in a clockwork orange was that darkly funny while he was directing it. are you gonna tell me kubrick was hosed up and had brain problems?

oh, yes? the answer to that is a definite yes? nvm

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
also the giant looney tunes mallet is absolutely supposed to be funny, they literally take turns with it come on guys

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it says something about how much the film delves into the loss of male power and masculine inadequacy when a man is literally raped and murdered for the crime of being a bad boyfriend and some of y'all are still trying to make it act like he had the power in the scenario because the idea of male impotence is so alien to you

One of the first things i noticed in the film imagery was the inversion of the cross/may pole from phallic symbol to organic ovaries. One of the many themes that play on the triumph of Dani over her trauma, alienation, and her lovely relationship.

It's pretty cool how in the mural the may pole is an inverted heart impaled on a cross (yew tree crucifixion).

Also, I noticed some shots of miniature sets during the cliff jumping scene. It immediately echo'd the sort of uncaring god POV (or atleast a sort of Ligottish dummification of the characters) that the dollhouse in Hereditary played with.

-- Another small touch I appreciated was when the camera landed on the sister's computer, showing only 4 unread messages from Dani. You'd expect like 50 if this was a unique instance, but as we know from the phone convo with the bf and her friend, her sister does "this" all the time. Despite how absolutely freaked out Dani was, she restrained and repressed it as much as possible in fear of overreacting to another one of her sisters' episodes. It was a subtle way to introduce a layer of guilt to Dani's trauma and grief that remains completely uncommented upon by anything else in the film, but I assume is an integral part of her screams. Does she feel like she didn't do enough? That had she taken it more seriously would the outcome be different?

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 14, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Midsommar is stacked with hilarious scenes. Dani's story in America is entirely sad and tragic, then she gets to Sweden and sees death and literally suicide that's presented humorously and she tries to comprehend it-- she has dreams of her parents being the jumpers even, trying to figure out "is this the same thing?" And no, it's not, in this place it means something different, here it is triumphant and kind of kitchy. Death, haha!

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

bort posted:

I don’t think we know. I just got out of my second time seeing it. Edit: We know it’s not the couple from the ättestupa, because we see them get burned.

re: spoiler; actually in the script it is them, except that the couple is two elderly men (not a man and woman), they don't lose their faces during the ättestupa, and during the fire temple scene one of the elderly men's corpses gets their eyeballs removed from their sockets by a family member.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mark casually pissing on the ashes of the cults ancestors is one of the drat funniest things I've ever seen.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

Mark casually pissing on the ashes of the cults ancestors is one of the drat funniest things I've ever seen.

nothing about mark was funny. being a stupid piece of poo poo is more horrifying than anything the cultists do in the movie

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He's a vape god

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Constant vaping is great shorthand for “this character is a total shithead”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JudgeX posted:

nothing about mark was funny. being a stupid piece of poo poo is more horrifying than anything the cultists do in the movie

He was the most real character in the film.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
ll the christian stans saying "he didn't deserve that for the cheating" have the exact same take as basic bitch rube guys who would walk out of this movie and say "dani was just a bitch". you're missing the forest for the trees, and not just because he exhibited signs of emotional manipulation with basically every other loving character he interacted with as well.

i think the lead up to his "punishment" is an allegory for how cheating doesn't "occur" when your biological impulses take over as the dick fuckin hovers and inch from the pussy and you say gently caress it and go in. it happens in all the big and small moments leading up to the moment of infidelity when you have every opportunity to evacuate yourself prior to hormones taking over and you loving choose not to, because deep down you know you're railroading yourself into a situation that you wanted to be in. from the moment christian decided to go on the trip, to the sacrifice on the cliff, to when he's handed the drink that he's *told* will remove his defenses, he repeatedly chooses to not express his agency and get himself as far from temptation as possible. not to mention get his girlfriend as far from further trauma as possible

you could say "oh well the cultists would never LET him leave, just like with the british couple", but that's not the point. he didn't try because he's a self centered piece of poo poo who wanted to write his thesis paper and get some swedish tail, not some doe eyed victim caught in a "tough situation and doomed relationship"

Ross DaouThot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2019

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

He was the most real character in the film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mark did nothing wrong by pissing on that dumb log.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Mark was the most relatable character

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ross DaouThot posted:

ll the christian stans saying "he didn't deserve that for the cheating" have the exact same take as basic bitch rube guys who would walk out of this movie and say "dani was just a bitch". you're missing the forest for the trees, and not just because he exhibited signs of emotional manipulation with basically every other loving character he interacted with as well.

i think the lead up to his "punishment" is an allegory for how cheating doesn't "occur" when your biological impulses take over as the dick fuckin hovers and inch from the pussy and you say gently caress it and go in. it happens in all the big and small moments leading up to the moment of infidelity when you have every opportunity to evacuate yourself prior to hormones taking over and you loving choose not to, because deep down you know you're railroading yourself into a situation that you wanted to be in. from the moment christian decided to go on the trip, to the sacrifice on the cliff, to when he's handed the drink that he's *told* will remove his defenses, he repeatedly chooses to not express his agency and get himself as far from temptation as possible. not to mention get his girlfriend as far from further trauma as possible

you could say "oh well the cultists would never LET him leave, just like with the british couple", but that's not the point. he didn't try because he's a self centered piece of poo poo who wanted to write his thesis paper and get some swedish tail, not some doe eyed victim caught in a "tough situation and doomed relationship"

I don't think he deserved what he got.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ross DaouThot posted:

this is all kinds of something

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Yaws posted:

I don't think he deserved what he got.

good thing the movie isn't real

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Scattered first impression thoughts:

Starting to think this Ari Aster guy has some strong opinions on heads and the structural integrity of them.

Also, this was an odd movie in that I think it is greatly benefited by seeing it on a big screen, but the atmosphere suffers a lot from having a bunch of other people around. Lots of (understandable) awkward laughter and a few moments that got genuine laughter. Definitely some moments of outright black comedy here but I'm not sure if that was quite the effect they were going for a few of those times.

Beautifully shot, though there were a couple shots that felt a bit show-offy and one or two bizarre long takes. Overall not as neat as Hereditary's cinematography, though. Nothing really approached that tilt-shift dollhouse effect. Though props to that sometimes-subtle-sometimes-not mushroom effect.

As someone who was really into Viking history / folklore as a kid, the blood eagle in the chicken coop was a nice touch. They seemed to have really done their homework in general.

Aster is really, really good at getting grief screams out of his actors, which is a weird compliment I guess but drat.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Aster is really, really good at getting grief screams out of his actors, which is a weird compliment I guess but drat.

maybe my movie taste is sheltered but i haven't heard that sound in any other film besides this and collette's in hereditary

they're so perfect that i feel like they reach into my the deepest corners of my brain

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Caught this twice this weekend, since I'd promised two different groups of friends I'd see it with them. I enjoyed it but the length + the straightforwardness of the plot made it feel 20-30 minutes too long, and I was kind of dreading a second watch.

I got a lot out of the repeat viewing, though — the direction is great, and every scene adds some detail without ever feeling like a cheat. It's a little too direct to actually feel like a puzzle-box movie, but it's still really entertaining to see Aster laying down track so early in the running without giving everything away. The jokes still land on a rewatch, and you notice how smartly they're deployed, too.

Noticed something that may just be goon faceblindness — did anyone think the woman that jumped off the cliff had a really strong resemblance to the main actress? In some shots she looked similar to the point that it felt kind of like Florence Pugh in old-age makeup. On the second watch I noticed that the runes the old woman smeared her blood on also appeared on Dani's maypole dress, too.

I know that's verging on Insane Fan Theory territory but given the direction the story goes I could see a resemblance or some subtle links being intentional.

Didn't read the whole thread so wasn't sure if that was discussed elsewhere.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My only technical criticism is that you shave off 20 minutes and miss nothing.

Also I've been to Sweden a bunch of times and I know for a fact that they subsist on giant rye crackers and fish-paste, and that the average person is 66% better-looking than the Irish. Only the latter observation is in this movie.

Apparently there are three scenes where Connie is heard screaming in the distance?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently there are three scenes where Connie is heard screaming in the distance?
Yes, when Mark sees his temptress in the temple and they exchange waves, and while Dani is making meat tarts.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked how the bits about incest directly contradicted each other so it casts doubt on the little exposition about the cult that we do get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that’s the funniest part of the movie - they’re doing all this horrific stuff based on the finger paintings done by the mentally disabled.