Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
DQB2 seems like one step forward and five steps backward. Yeah the people of the town being more interactive and able to build/cook/farm/etc... is nice but everything else? The inventory management seems far worse because their is more junk to keep around and I remember chests being bigger, but even if they weren't the extra stuff means you've got more of them to bounce between to keep things organized or find stuff you've already crafted but need. Building and terraforming is still incredibly tedious if you want something remotely consistent and structured. Plus you've got a whole island of your own to build on and manage, which needs a poo poo ton of work to make look decent and you can't ignore because you need to new grind mechanic to unlock the extra islands.

I liked the promise of a fun little construction game of the first game but it was dragged down by the tedium which has gotten worse and it's now more difficult to enjoy the little bit of combat and little bit building loop if what's what you're after. After playing it for about 10 hours it just makes me want to go back and play DQB1 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone else is saying that 2 actually fixes the QoL issues of the first game though

:confused:

If the complaint is that there's too much stuff to do and build, hell, sign me up. My main complaint about 1 was that you had such a small base and never got to get really crazy with it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

nessin posted:

DQB2 seems like one step forward and five steps backward. Yeah the people of the town being more interactive and able to build/cook/farm/etc... is nice but everything else? The inventory management seems far worse because their is more junk to keep around and I remember chests being bigger, but even if they weren't the extra stuff means you've got more of them to bounce between to keep things organized or find stuff you've already crafted but need. Building and terraforming is still incredibly tedious if you want something remotely consistent and structured. Plus you've got a whole island of your own to build on and manage, which needs a poo poo ton of work to make look decent and you can't ignore because you need to new grind mechanic to unlock the extra islands.

I liked the promise of a fun little construction game of the first game but it was dragged down by the tedium which has gotten worse and it's now more difficult to enjoy the little bit of combat and little bit building loop if what's what you're after. After playing it for about 10 hours it just makes me want to go back and play DQB1 again.

To each their own. DQB1 is certainly still a great game, but I think most other people wanted all off those things that you're saying ruin this one.

Not really sure why having your own giant island of potential is a bad thing in a builder game. They basically took Terra Incognita and made it part of the story, which to me is a big improvement since it lends weight to that island and serves as a nice tie to everything else.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Are you all playing DQB2 on PS4? I only have a Switch but the lower framerate seems unappealing. I hope it comes out on PC at some point because that's where I prefer to play games that don't run well on the Switch.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the chest size doesn’t matter because they literally give you an infinite bag for your crafting materials that is on you at all times

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

RVWinkle posted:

Are you all playing DQB2 on PS4? I only have a Switch but the lower framerate seems unappealing. I hope it comes out on PC at some point because that's where I prefer to play games that don't run well on the Switch.

I'm on Switch. There's definitely a noticeable difference in frame rate, and the Switch does stutter slightly every now and then. It's to the point where I'd be happy if they put in an option to lower the water quality slightly for improved performance since that seems like it might be what does it, but not holding my breath for that one.

I have no issues with 30 FPS. Just want it to be an always stable 30 FPS.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
yeah, you may want to play a bit further into the game if you're complaining about inventory space, they give you like 500 inventory slots like 10% of the way into the first major island

e: the only times i've noticed framerate issues are while having the map open while staring at the ocean and while hanging around the ruined minecart tracks in front of the mineshaft on island 2; other than that it's been alright (on switch)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What are the big differences between B2 and B1, mechanically speaking I mean? I don't have the money for the game and haven't finished 1, which I do own, but I'm still curious.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

What are the big differences between B2 and B1, mechanically speaking I mean? I don't have the money for the game and haven't finished 1, which I do own, but I'm still curious.

There's no way I can come up with a comprehensive list, but I think my favorites so far, just on the first island, are that you can pick up and move things now instead of always having to destroy them, your regular weapon doesn't break the things you make (hammer is tied to a separate button and will destroy stuff you make), equipment doesn't have durability, you have a buddy to help with fighting and gathering, you get a crazy huge storage bag very soon into the game, and villagers help to do things like plant stuff and build stuff in addition to what they were doing before. Oh, and you can pet a dog.

There's a lot more, like everything to do with water and swimming, and a whole bunch of stuff I haven't gotten to yet, like getting a paraglider-like thing, but that's just off the top of my head.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The paraglider is basically like the one from Breath of the Wild but you get better airtime, and without a stamina meter. So you just launch off a cliff and go hecka far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HPanda posted:

There's no way I can come up with a comprehensive list, but I think my favorites so far, just on the first island, are that you can pick up and move things now instead of always having to destroy them, your regular weapon doesn't break the things you make (hammer is tied to a separate button and will destroy stuff you make), equipment doesn't have durability, you have a buddy to help with fighting and gathering, you get a crazy huge storage bag very soon into the game, and villagers help to do things like plant stuff and build stuff in addition to what they were doing before. Oh, and you can pet a dog.

There's a lot more, like everything to do with water and swimming, and a whole bunch of stuff I haven't gotten to yet, like getting a paraglider-like thing, but that's just off the top of my head.

Oh my god why isn't it tomorrow yet

Alternately: someone buy it for me and I'll buy you something you want tomorrow lol

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am compelled to inform you all that if you attack while gliding you do a sickass dive strike and I just ruined a Bodkin Bowyer's week.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spoilers for the first real island. As cool as building a new tree was it is kind of a dick move to make me have to build it in the middle of my town which already had things there.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I haven't played either one because I don't have a Switch, but I understand DQB1 has some relationship to DQ1. Does DQB2 fit into the story somewhere explicit as well?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

I haven't played either one because I don't have a Switch, but I understand DQB1 has some relationship to DQ1. Does DQB2 fit into the story somewhere explicit as well?

yes, and judging by a quick wiki-ing the connection should be extremely obvious about 5 minutes into the game

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Flavius Aetass posted:

No need for spoilers on these points. It's all really explicitly stated and something you learn in the opening cutscenes of each game. DQB1 is based on the bad ending of Dragon Quest 1 where the hero takes the Dragon Lord's deal. The Dragon Lord then unleashes the apocalypse on humanity in various ways, including removing their ability to create.

DQB2 takes place after DQ2. So Hargon and Malroth, Lord of Destruction (main bosses from Dragon Quest 2), have been defeated, but now there's a resurgent cult to Hargon. There's more going on than you're led to believe, or at least that's what it looks like so far, but at least initially, all you know is that the Cult of Hargon worships destruction and bans creation, and they're taking over everything.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Done with the first island in DQB2 and I have some thoughts.

On the surface it’s a pretty massive improvement over DQB1 in pretty much every category. Beneath that I have a lot of complaints but mostly:

1. I hated the extremely segregated Chapters in DQB1. It’s antithesis to everything this sort of game is supposed to be IMHO. 2 improves on this by allowing you to return to the Isle of Awakening with your items and select townspeople, but it still feels needlessly segmented.

2. The linearity is absolutely excruciating just as it was in 1. There’s an entire island to explore, many times more items with which to build but the game feels like a 70 hour tutorial as it tells you at every opportunity what you *must* do next. There’s a constant feeling of “okay, I get it, let me loose” that the game never answers because there’s always a townsperson or 5 to tutorialize the next task.

3. The sheer amount of :words:. Holy poo poo, no one wants to read all this.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Iverron posted:

3. The sheer amount of :words:. Holy poo poo, no one wants to read all this.

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Loving every second of Dragon Quest dialogue so far.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Man I really hope I don't have to end the game by killing my bro Malroth. I don't know if I even have to spoiler that he's literally the amnesiac version of the DQ2 final boss.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I didn't really play much of Builders 1 but I did pick up 2 and I'm enjoying it but still kind of having a hard time figuring it's "rules" I guess? I'm on the first island and I'm having an issue building things too large. I feel like the farm area you're given is too small to accommodate everything that everyone wants, at least that's how I'm feeling right now. So I have some houses and things set up, but then I'm given a blueprint for something that ends up taking up a chunk of the space I have and then I feel like there's no room to grow my crops and whatnot.

Are there any tips that carry over from Builders 1 to maybe alleviate these things?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Since your level and base level are capped there's no benefit to going big or fancy. NPCs don't have anything like a minimum standard of living you can cram 20 beds into one room.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Build up, just put some stairs on a wall somewhere and have your farmland and bedrooms suspended over the kitchen in the middle of the air.

Edit: also what part of the beginning island counts as 'home base', do I just start plonking rooms wherever or there a specific location at which to start my new utopia?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

re: space, a very good way to save space is to have all your npc bedrooms on the ground and then roof over it and build actual poo poo you use on top, since you don't have to worry about messing with the camera to look into the rooms when you have basically no reason to ever go in them (build a bed for yourself off to the side somewhere)

YggiDee posted:

Edit: also what part of the beginning island counts as 'home base', do I just start plonking rooms wherever or there a specific location at which to start my new utopia?

it'll become apparent after you clear furrowfield

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

you can dig down too - i made my farmers sleep in a huge barracks beneath the sugarcane paddy

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i’m 1/3rd the way into the fourth chapter with the winter island and man this game is outstanding if i had one complaint some of the stealth was tedious and easily circumvented with builder items

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Ethiser posted:

Spoilers for the first real island. As cool as building a new tree was it is kind of a dick move to make me have to build it in the middle of my town which already had things there.

the waterfall ended up landing directly on my dining tables but hilariously didn't stop anyone eating at them, but since my bathroom was apparently out of bounds I figure they could do with the showers

Oh, note for those not yet there: on awakening when you have to make a river the first place you pour water don't dig the sand out first the marker is sitting on the sand & won't trigger if the water isn't high enough. Learned that the hard way. Did the same to the meadows accidentally (dug out underneath the marker to flatten the land & then it wouldnt' trigger that I'd built it) too but luckily that fixed itself once I had 10 of them elsewhere.

Do we get to name our big island at some point? If Lulu continues to call it 'lulutopia' I'm going to throw her into the ocean & let her boss all the mermen around instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are you able to completely turn the music off? I used custom soundtracks for DQ1, but you could only turn the music to 1, not totally off, so it would sometimes bleed into whatever I listened to.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

question about chapter 2 secret-ish stuff: i found two dragon scales, one from a dragon on the surface above a bit of collapsed tunnel and the third down in the shrine before the diamond mine; is there a third dragon on this island so i can get the armor now

e: found it, near the oasis the red dye is in

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 15, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I can't seem to keep my excitement for 11s in my pants so i started a new file. How bad is super tough monsters?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BrightWing posted:

I can't seem to keep my excitement for 11s in my pants so i started a new file. How bad is super tough monsters?

It's closer to the difficulty of the NES games. I ran it for my first playthrough and it felt about right for the systems they give you.

That said, from what I understand, turning on all other difficulty modifiers is easier than turning on just Harder Monsters.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

HPanda posted:

It's closer to the difficulty of the NES games. I ran it for my first playthrough and it felt about right for the systems they give you.

That said, from what I understand, turning on all other difficulty modifiers is easier than turning on just Harder Monsters.

Just harder mons sounds like a plan then! Normal mode didn't feel like it had much bite to it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrightWing posted:

There are a few rough bosses early in the game, but afterwards it's mostly pretty fair with just a few absolutely poorly tuned bosses that can and will just one round characters(basically any enemy or boss that can attack 3 times a turn will give you a bad time).

Normal mode is piss easy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think most of Khrumbul-Dun needs to get laid or something, drat.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

HPanda posted:

Enemies hit harder on Harder Monsters with full armor on than normal with no armor on. I'm not talking about less attacks or AI behavior. I'm talking about raw numbers. If you spec Erik in boomerangs he can pretty much handle every single monster encounter in the game. I even ran bad builds like Whips Veronica and Claws Rab. All modifiers except Harder Monsters is more like a speedrun. The endgame can get pretty scary since accessories and armor play a huge part in resistances but you can win in a damage race with the lower HP and defense normal mode bosses have. I lost one battle due to shyness pox kicking in at the worst moment in the entire run.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DQB 2 further illustrates to me how necessary it is to hit the reset button between every chapter, because goddamn the end of chapter 1 is so climactic that it would serve as the ending of any normal game. Like what are you gonna do there afterwards when you're out of space and you would have to tear everything down if you wanted to change anything? What is left to do once you've explored everything in that area? Having a discrete island where you bring back your ideas and materials from other places that you truly can make your own is probably the best solution, honestly, though they hosed it up in the first game by having it be this weird separate mode and not having the recipes be persistent between every chapter.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Anybody found a reliable way to make horizontal blocks join correctly? A lot of the time I can't make them form a cross when two lines meet; one keeps going and the other just sorta clips against it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man I keep underestimating the great little quality of life changes they added to DQB2.

Finished the first island and decided to build some stuff for my buddies. Plopped down a blueprint for a bathroom and was surprised that people started grabbing supplies from the crate and helped build it.
Such a fantastic concept. Then I unlocked the 4'th builders tool using mini medals and that blew me away as well.

This game is fantastic.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I think the only thing I wish they had was the ability to 1) make your own blueprints and 2) share those blueprints through their notice board.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Saxophone posted:

I think the only thing I wish they had was the ability to 1) make your own blueprints and 2) share those blueprints through their notice board.

DQB3: we go to Aliahan and share blueprints. And pick a party.

If they keep making DQB games every other year until they run out of Dragon Quest games, I'm OK with that. It'd be cool if they started pulling in nods from the games they source from, though. You get a bunch of different builders in DQB4. You get hitched in DQB5. You skip DQB6. And so on.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Dragon Quest Builders 7: Literally what you're already doing, but with a time skip mechanic.