Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
gently caress student loans. gently caress academics in general for allowing the real price of higher education to increase almost 4-fold in the last 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

He didn't post the best bits of the article

quote:

“I can wait forever for Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to cancel this debt—or I can just make it happen.

“The problem is I haven’t really been wise with money management.” She says a significant portion of her earnings goes toward things like food, vacations, and Uber rides.

Some people may swear off eating out until their debts are paid off; others may live with roommates well into their thirties to pay off loans. “You have to have the correct mindset of ‘Hey, I don’t want this to be a detriment to my life,'” he adds. “And you make your priority changes. These are the tough decisions you have to make.”

They're trying to make student debt seem like something that is just par for the course, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, no legislative changes needed. Basically FC is sucking wall street's dick because Sanders has proposed taxing wall street to get the revenue to pay off all student loan debt.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

gently caress student loans. gently caress academics in general for allowing the real price of higher education to increase almost 4-fold in the last 40 years.

Exactly. The legislation that needs to happen is to cap the price of it imho. If you just pay it all off like Sanders wants to do, you haven't solved the core problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Exactly. The legislation that needs to happen is to cap the price of it imho. If you just pay it all off like Sanders wants to do, you haven't solved the core problem.

500 Euro- I mean $564 per year maximum seems like a good place to start.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm proud to present our new system which relies on Education Insurance to help pay for classes needed. Now classes are only 20% of their listed cost and after you meet your high education deductable it's 100% covered for that semester!

Of course your school has to be in network and your professor must be a generic.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

One problem with your master plan here OP. How would NCAA teams still be able to compete with the NFL to hire the best coaches in the world???

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Volkerball posted:

One problem with your master plan here OP. How would NCAA teams still be able to compete with the NFL to hire the best coaches in the world???

I know, it's insane thinking Bob Stoops was paid 6 million american US dollars per year. That money doesn't come outta thin air.

I wouldn't mind prices resetting back to what I paid from '01-'06 and then tracking with inflation. It was still possible in those days to avoid coming out with massive debt, provided you worked and/or had scholarships.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Exactly. The legislation that needs to happen is to cap the price of it imho.

Do public colleges not have their tuition structured by the government? I thought that was how public colleges worked down there!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Subjunctive posted:

Do public colleges not have their tuition structured by the government? I thought that was how public colleges worked down there!

Starting in the 80s state governments reduced and then eventually pretty much eliminated state funding for higher education. Meanwhile colleges started adding additional amenities, pouring money into sports programs, and adding additional administrators who don't do much of anything.

Edit: to answer you question, states can usually approve or deny tuition increases at state schools only, but the state also decides how much tax money goes into colleges, and higher tuition means less tax money going in.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 14, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Hah, no that would run extremely counter to the american mantra of "You're not so much a citizen, as you are a customer" and :airquote:free markets:airquote: and all that.

Going to college used to be a very spartan and bare-bones experience, but things started escalating with the arrival of the internet. Schools started marketing and competing to provide ever more luxurious accommodations. Some of it I can understand... like needing an IT staff... That was a new thing that schools had to find a way to pay for. But a lot of it was super lux suites instead of dorms, higher-end food options, etc. It's idiotic to borrow money as a student to pay for stuff like that, but people here are brainwashed to believe that it's worth it.

^ Good clarification by the poster above me. I took your question to mean the federal government, not state.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 14, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This is about as useful as blaming doctors for the real cost of healthcare increasing by 5-6x over the last 40 years :ironicat:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

By "academics" I don't think he literally meant the professors and TAs stuff.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I don't get it

Is the joke that the guy couldn't get a good job during the recession? What else is he supposed to do besides get a better job eventually and pay off the loans?

He went back to school for a second degree and is making $38,000/year. Maybe if you’re going to graduate, and find yourself in debt, then if you decide to go back school it should be in a field that pays better.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Phanatic posted:

He went back to school for a second degree and is making $38,000/year. Maybe if you’re going to graduate, and find yourself in debt, then if you decide to go back school it should be in a field that pays better.

I dont see where it says what he majored in, but the dude only took out 12k in loans the second time which seems like a small amount. Plus he basically had to go back to school because the recession hosed his career.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

I know, it's insane thinking Bob Stoops was paid 6 million american US dollars per year. That money doesn't come outta thin air.

I wouldn't mind prices resetting back to what I paid from '01-'06 and then tracking with inflation. It was still possible in those days to avoid coming out with massive debt, provided you worked and/or had scholarships.

University coaches are the highest paid people in all but 11 states.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...elf-bob-huggins

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

OctaMurk posted:

I dont see where it says what he majored in, but the dude only took out 12k in loans the second time which seems like a small amount. Plus he basically had to go back to school because the recession hosed his career.
A recession doesn't magically invalidate your education after the economy recovers.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ralith posted:

A recession doesn't magically invalidate your education after the economy recovers.

No, but it gets much harder to get an entry level job when you've been out of school and doing odd jobs for a few years versus straight out of school. I'm not saying this guy did everything right or that it's impossible, but it's definitely more difficult.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Ralith posted:

It does when companies only hire directly out of school for entry level jobs.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ralith posted:

“This applicant didn’t have a (relevant) job while other people did, must be something wrong with him.” *toss*

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Dave Ramsey + Horses.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah if you want something bad enough it doesn't matter if you can afford it. Everybody knows that!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Grem posted:

Mike Gundy, of my alma mater, getting 4.2 million per year is some funny rear end poo poo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Grem posted:

Nick Saban makes 100 times the Alabama governor.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

Nick Saban makes 100 times the Alabama governor.

nick saban also probably has 100 times more power than the alabama governor

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ralith posted:

Having a big gap in your resume where you didn't have a "real" job is a really heavy anchor in the jobseeking process--and the longer you go without getting into the industry, the harder it will get. The people I've known with this problem have only ever gotten around it by either going back to school, or having a personal connection at the company that can get them to the interview. I bet at least a quarter of any master's degree program is students that weren't able to land a job after earning their bachelors.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Ralith posted:

oh right I forgot that years spent not working in your field is ignored by potential employers because RECESSION

Who needs experience anyhow? A degree is a magic ticket to a big money job!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elephanthead posted:

Nick Saban makes 100 times the (reported taxable income of the) Alabama governor.
ftfy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

They do. Many states have reduced the amount they contribute to their state universities, but it’s still a symbiotic relationship. If a public college wants to raise tuition they need to get approval from the state board of regents.

Public school tuition is often not that bad. Where I live* a student could go to a local 4 year college, live at home, and pay next to nothing. Tuition is paid out of lottery proceeds as long as the student maintains a B average. Room and board is where they get you. That’s like 2x the cost of tuition alone. When schools build fancy dorms or try and field the best NCAA teams, those costs often show up there. The biggest travesty is not college costs, it’s asking 18 year olds to determine a proper ROI regarding education and then sticking them with lifetime debt. Non-dischargeable college debt is probably the biggest factor in tuition increases.

*I realize not all states are the same. YMMV depending on where you live.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

They do. Many states have reduced the amount they contribute to their state universities, but it’s still a symbiotic relationship. If a public college wants to raise tuition they need to get approval from the state board of regents.

Public school tuition is often not that bad. Where I live* a student could go to a local 4 year college, live at home, and pay next to nothing. Tuition is paid out of lottery proceeds as long as the student maintains a B average. Room and board is where they get you. That’s like 2x the cost of tuition alone. When schools build fancy dorms or try and field the best NCAA teams, those costs often show up there. The biggest travesty is not college costs, it’s asking 18 year olds to determine a proper ROI regarding education and then sticking them with lifetime debt. Non-dischargeable college debt is probably the biggest factor in tuition increases.

*I realize not all states are the same. YMMV depending on where you live.

Or they do like UMass: like 3000 dollars a year tuition, then like 10000 dollars in "fees"

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

CelestialScribe posted:

Dave Ramsey + Horses.

horse chiropractor. Have these come up previously in BWM: Horsechat and I missed it cause holy gently caress that's a new one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

olylifter posted:

horse chiropractor. Have these come up previously in BWM: Horsechat and I missed it cause holy gently caress that's a new one.

I've seen the facilities for horse....I guess....hydrotherapists? (it's a walk in tank that opens in the back, closes and then fills up) as well as horse magnet magic people.....what are those called again?

Yes, I've bought several horses from Dupont family farms. They are as batshit crazy as the stories indicate.

I was actually told by their horse whisperer/psychiatrist that one of them was not really "Breakpoint", her registered name, bust actually Mae West. I'm not ure if the horse was channeling the actress or a reincarnation. I just got the gently caress out of there back to my farm. She was my favorite horse ever, but never mentioned formerly being an actress to me so I'm not sure.

Edit: she was a complete bitch to women, so the girls at my barn started calling her princess and that stuck for the rest of her days.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Fine, but who was taking delivery of that 20 tons of excess cargo on JP Morgan’s ship?

$90 million dollar ship, might almost make sense to buy a junker and run it ashore to move that much product.

JP Morgan owns that ship in much the same way the bank owns your house. It’s an exotic financing arrangement.

You can’t just buy a container ship and start operating it without attracting attention. But the cartels do use a lot of disposable boats.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

JP Morgan owns that ship in much the same way the bank owns your house. It’s an exotic financing arrangement.

You can’t just buy a container ship and start operating it without attracting attention. But the cartels do use a lot of disposable boats.

Found the JP Morgan parachute account.

Mr. Ghost says it's just the bank's yearly supply and they save by buying in bulk.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I cosigned for a lease am i screwed
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cd37yk/i_cosigned_for_a_lease_am_i_screwed/

quote:

Hey pf. I cosigned a lease for my best friend to get a car. Before anyone criticizes me for that. We have are practically like family so i did it on good faith, also because hes always been great with paying me back. Unfortunately he fell on hard times and the car was repossed and sold. He paid the difference and all that to the dealership and from what he says its case closed. So my question is, will this affect me in any way as the cosigner?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Krispy Wafer posted:

n and then sticking them with lifetime debt. Non-dischargeable college debt is probably the biggest factor in tuition increases.

This is the biggie. If you want to fix the spiriting cost of education in a way that won’t cause a giant poo poo fit throw down like paying off current debt (which won’t fix thr long term problem, just bail out current lenders) make the debt dischargable. Then lenders would actually have to do some thinking about whether an 18 year old going to a no name LAC for an English degree is a good risk on $250k of debt, and without that bucket of unlimited guaranteed money schools would calm the gently caress down with the race to grab it all.

Edit: declaring bankruptcy sucks but way less than carrying debt you can’t service your whole life.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Motronic posted:

I've seen the facilities for horse....I guess....hydrotherapists? (it's a walk in tank that opens in the back, closes and then fills up) as well as horse magnet magic people.....what are those called again?

Yes, I've bought several horses from Dupont family farms. They are as batshit crazy as the stories indicate.

I was actually told by their horse whisperer/psychiatrist that one of them was not really "Breakpoint", her registered name, bust actually Mae West. I'm not ure if the horse was channeling the actress or a reincarnation. I just got the gently caress out of there back to my farm. She was my favorite horse ever, but never mentioned formerly being an actress to me so I'm not sure.

Edit: she was a complete bitch to women, so the girls at my barn started calling her princess and that stuck for the rest of her days.

Uhh... source your quotes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Uhh... source your quotes?

I have mentioned before in this very thread that I was on the "supply" side of the horse business and it was very much GWM. But BWL because you have to deal with horse people.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My cousin is a horse person and she’s probably the most naive person I know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That sounds about right. The most important thing about dealing with horse people is to never, ever extend credit. I would begin and end sentences with "bring cash".

I was also very big on contracts for boarding because I had SO MANY horses abandoned by the boarders who just stop paying/no show at the barn.

Edit for........CAR TALK:

Should I keep my car or am I being tricked by Sunk Cost fallacy? (self.personalfinance)

submitted an hour ago * by Elogotar

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/cdgr4u/should_i_keep_my_car_or_am_i_being_tricked_by/

quote:

Just over two years ago, I bought a used car for about $7,000. My thought being that even though I could go to a dealership and get something new or certified used, that I'd be making payments forever and never actually own the car. It seems like renting vs. owning and I hate renting, it feels like being stolen from.

I thought it would be smarter to get something affordable that I could get another 100-150,000 miles out of the engine and replace the odd part here and there. Especially since I have a brother who was willing and capable to do the labor for me. I figured I'd be able to drive it another 5 or so years after it was paid off, freeing up money for parts as needed and other more pressing concerns like byuing an engagement ring or attempting to take some college courses. I got an 07 Civic with 143,000mi (its a special edition SI which is part of the extra cost and I'm aware of my mistake at this point) at the time and patted myself on the back for my seeminly frugal choice.

The car was paid for with an auto loan from my local Credit Union on a three year term and at this time I still owe about $2,400. Since buying the car we've had to replace: the clutch, brakes, starter, battery, and harmonic balancer. Then just last month, thanks to an issue with the AC compressor that casued the serpentine belt to lock up and subsequently pop we also replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys, alternator, and AC compressor/condenser. This isn't to mention various other cheaper components. Worst part is, thanks to the lovely roads where I live, I still need to replace the entire suspension system, the wheel hubs, and the rims. It's become a literal Car of Theseus situation. I'm about tired of buying parts and my brother is sick of working on the car. (My brother owes the family money and he knows how much I appreciate him, he isn't being taken advantage of.)

At this point I'm very unsure what I should do. If I trade the car in for a new or certified used I get peace of mind, but sacrifice all of my investment and the idea of actually owning my car. If I don't, I force my brother to continue working on it and I have to live with knowing that at any time I could end up replacing something else besides stuff I already know I need to replace. How far up the creek am I and what the hell should I do?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 15, 2019

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What the gently caress is a "harmonic balancer"? Granted I know nothing about cars or the dark magic that powers them but that sounds like some Star Trek poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

8one6 posted:

What the gently caress is a "harmonic balancer"? Granted I know nothing about cars or the dark magic that powers them but that sounds like some Star Trek poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

This is why inline 6s are God's own engines