Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

It feels weirdly arrogant but as someone who has played White Mage 90% of his time in this game, leveling a DPS and seeing the kinds of healers you get has made me appreciate my own healing more.

You're level 74, have you LOOKED at the damage of Afflatus Misery, please use your free instant Cure IIs that feed your nuclear explosions. At least cast more Assizes or Tetragrammatons or even a single Asylum! No don't spam 1 Cure stop it please I can't :negative:

This is the best summary of WHM imo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Note Block posted:

FFXIV's ARR experience would be a lot better for new players if it just ditched all the fetch and fedex quests. That's it!

To be honest though that's still what a good portion of story quests are. Removing them would not be the help that some seem to think it is. The 2.x stuff could certainly use some better pacing, but that's about the only change I'd say would help.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

FZeroRacer posted:

Is it really more (MSQ spoilers) tired rear end than Zodiark turning out to be the sinister laughing big bad villain of darkness? A big theme of this entire expansion was casting doubt on preconceived notions. The light isn't just a force of good; a deluge of light is just as bad as a flood of darkness, the conflict between Zodiark and Hydaelyn being more complicated than we thought, Ascian tempering etc. If Zodiark can temper the ascians then there's probably good reason to examine what exactly Hydaelyn is doing.
My comment is more towards the people online slavering for an evil Hydaelyn reveal. While I don't think he'll be "good" per se, Zodiark being a god of darkness in cliched sense would suck. I would like to think his purpose is what it is and how mortals view it is on them more than anything else.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

To be honest though that's still what a good portion of story quests are. Removing them would not be the help that some seem to think it is. The 2.x stuff could certainly use some better pacing, but that's about the only change I'd say would help.

I mean, this too. It's a given that the pacing is off by today's standards, but usually where people start to get agitated is by the sheer amount of fedex quests and "pray return to the waking sands"

Anyone that tries to defend the pacing of 2.x is a lunatic.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Every quest in the game is a fedex quest except sometimes the thing you are delivering is yourself.

Makes you think.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hmmmmm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All dungeons and raids are just fedex quests with obstacles in your way...

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
What is the Warrior of Light if not Eorzea's Postman/Postwoman?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want more postmoogle quests because they were a cool ways to go check up on smaller side characters the narrative moves past.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wonder how much you could improve the pacing of 2.0 if you just instituted a whole lot more post-quest teleportation so that Minfilia can just auto-pray-return you to the Waking Sands instead of expecting you to deliver yourself there.

Maybe just flat-out remove or rework the worst of the pre-level cap dungeons so that there are no longer any bits that rouletters pray they won't see.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

All dungeons and raids are just fedex quests with obstacles in your way...

Brayflox clearly establishes this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I wonder how much you could improve the pacing of 2.0 if you just instituted a whole lot more post-quest teleportation so that Minfilia can just auto-pray-return you to the Waking Sands instead of expecting you to deliver yourself there.

Maybe just flat-out remove or rework the worst of the pre-level cap dungeons so that there are no longer any bits that rouletters pray they won't see.

Waking sand aetheryte tickets are probably possible since they have those direct to GC tickets now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They didn't put an aetheryte there on purpose - indeed they say as much in the actual story - but I wonder if that was just to avoid having it crash the server handling the Thanalan map? I suppose it would still have a huge sprout traffic if you could teleport there instantly. Even so you could just teleport "into the door" so to speak and then leave... I don't know. I barely understand how a computer works in the first place!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Sharkopath posted:

I want more postmoogle quests because they were a cool ways to go check up on smaller side characters the narrative moves past.

Heavensward has one of these that starts in Fortemps Manor called The Paths We Walk. It's really good. I want to say Stormblood had one too, but I couldn't remember where it started or what it's called. I may just have tired-brains on this one but I know the HW exists and it is excellent.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hrm. Am I better off running roulettes on my tank to get tomes or on my healer to get xp/materia?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
The level 80 PLD quest felt good as hell, especially given it wasn't drawn out over 10 levels. Though I do wonder if they'll breadcrumb more class specific quests in with the patches.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Hrm. Am I better off running roulettes on my tank to get tomes or on my healer to get xp/materia?

Do you need tomes more than you need materia?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Do you need tomes more than you need materia?

I don't really have any preference currently. Since I hit level 80, I haven't done a single roulette and am still in the AF gear. I haven't even unlocked the other two lvl 80 dungeons. I've been spending all my time working on DoH/DoL. So I have a DRK at 80 and an AST at 71.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

I don't really have any preference currently. Since I hit level 80, I haven't done a single roulette and am still in the AF gear. I haven't even unlocked the other two lvl 80 dungeons. I've been spending all my time working on DoH/DoL. So I have a DRK at 80 and an AST at 71.

Materia will always be sellable at the very least. Goetia tome gear will be superseded in a couple of days. Probably just go for the materia then.

And unlock the Twinning.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm enjoying AST but i'm not really sure why you would ever bring it to a raid instead of SCH/WHM

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm enjoying AST but i'm not really sure why you would ever bring it to a raid instead of SCH/WHM

If you run a DNC you already have the better part of AST's raid utility AND you have it up more often.

All of AST's potencies basically need a boost and OCGD's that are stance based not being affected by the "Have both stance" button also needs to be fixed.

Also just unfuck shield stacking. Half my shields stack with SCH stuff and SCH's new bonus shield stacks with everything and everything stacks with tank shields so there's literally not point in blocking galvanize and nocturnal benefic from stacking since the Neutral Sect Shields stacks with it just fine. You can have like 40 different stacks of regen at the same time why do I have to have a look up table to see what shields stack and what don't.

And make horoscope auto pop at it's timer end like ES does.

And bring back time dilation ( and maybe give it old Cele oppos effect)

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sunday Morning posted:

Heavensward has one of these that starts in Fortemps Manor called The Paths We Walk. It's really good. I want to say Stormblood had one too, but I couldn't remember where it started or what it's called. I may just have tired-brains on this one but I know the HW exists and it is excellent.

Stormblood has a follow-up sidequest to the Ala Mhigan economic restoration subplot. It was forgettable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also bring back the old card system and take another crack at unfucking it because holy poo poo the new one is so boring and Diviniation's C/D is so long for basically no decent buff so you spend 70% of your time with all the seals you need just instant jamming Draw then Minor Arcaana then play. It's 2 extra buttons to throw out a pathetic buff that lasts half a second and it just feels like it's there to waste time between your boring rear end class gimmick actually being up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The ShB leveling armor for casters (and the Silvergrace Rapier) is good:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you run a DNC you already have the better part of AST's raid utility AND you have it up more often.

All of AST's potencies basically need a boost and OCGD's that are stance based not being affected by the "Have both stance" button also needs to be fixed.

Also just unfuck shield stacking. Half my shields stack with SCH stuff and SCH's new bonus shield stacks with everything and everything stacks with tank shields so there's literally not point in blocking galvanize and nocturnal benefic from stacking since the Neutral Sect Shields stacks with it just fine. You can have like 40 different stacks of regen at the same time why do I have to have a look up table to see what shields stack and what don't.

And make horoscope auto pop at it's timer end like ES does.

And bring back time dilation ( and maybe give it old Cele oppos effect)
I agree with all of this except, oddly, Time Dilation, though if you mean bring it back as an OGCD stun source, I'm down.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

They've got the worst of both worlds: their personal DPS sucks and isn't being compensated for by their raid DPS contribution, and they lack the same raw on-demand healing potential as SCH/WHM. I'd actually rather Neutral Sect was a shorter cooldown action that let you either convert the current Sect effect or benefit from both Sect effects for your next Aspected action, and the healing bonus was rolled into something else. In cases where you need raw healing throughput, you're probably not going to be spamming Aspected Benefic/Helios repeatedly, so it ends up being Largesse with a minute longer cooldown instead of a cool capstone action.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

I agree with all of this except, oddly, Time Dilation, though if you mean bring it back as an OGCD stun source, I'm down.

The new card buffs are so lovely you miight as well let me loving extend their duration because 10 seconds of a whopping 6% buff is just so loving pathetic for it to be the class's main gimmick.

Also the fact that if you want to be actually effiecent with your inputs you have to line up LS activations with Sleeve Draw to not lose GCDs between having to press 9-15 buttons to play your 3 draws sucks so goddamn bad.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So someone mentioned a bad group and what people were doing. Is there a basic guide for what you should be doing in a group? Like they mentioned the tank was only "single pulling" - how should the tank be pulling? Grab 2-3 mobs at once, or do you daisy chain as they get low?

Basically I don't want to noob up a group by screwing up basic poo poo. I'm going GLD>PLD fwiw.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I have a riddle for you all. I just got Titan NM as a healer. There's a DRK tank. The two DPS, Bard and DRG, are both sprouts. Which one falls off first?

The solution: Trick question. They both fell off at the same time when Titan jumped the second time. DRK and I two-manned him the rest of the way.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Single Pulling is grabbing one Pack of mobs at a time, basically treating each group as a separate encounter. Honestly it's fine to single pull, especially if you don't know the dungeon, but some people will complain (those people are jerks).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakarne posted:

So someone mentioned a bad group and what people were doing. Is there a basic guide for what you should be doing in a group? Like they mentioned the tank was only "single pulling" - how should the tank be pulling? Grab 2-3 mobs at once, or do you daisy chain as they get low?

Basically I don't want to noob up a group by screwing up basic poo poo. I'm going GLD>PLD fwiw.

There's no real easy answer for that.

In best circumstances you want to pull every enemy you can at a single time *but* that is under best circumstances where both tank and healer are comfortable (and it depends on dungeon too.) I would recommend that when you're starting out you try pulling two packs and then stretch from there as you get comfortable. It makes things go a lot faster.

Healers you really need to be balancing healing with DPSing. As healers get better they get more tools to quick-heal which allows for more DPSing. Don't be afraid to just heal if your tank is too squishy/overpulling but know that in ideal circumstances you should be DPSing as much as possible.

All DPS need to do to make dungeon runs go smoothly is use their AoEs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

The ShB leveling armor for casters (and the Silvergrace Rapier) is good:

This also shows up dyeable for aiming classes back in HW, I liked it then too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ASt has to GCD moer than the other healers to keep up with the amount of heals the other two can just poo poo out.

Meanwhile if a WHM is forced to single target GCD heal they were given a new ability that makes it so doing that is a DPS gain if they cast it 3 times.

I'm 100% convinced they just threw out random numbers for AST and didn't test anything.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also bring back the old card system and take another crack at unfucking it because holy poo poo the new one is so boring and Diviniation's C/D is so long for basically no decent buff so you spend 70% of your time with all the seals you need just instant jamming Draw then Minor Arcaana then play. It's 2 extra buttons to throw out a pathetic buff that lasts half a second and it just feels like it's there to waste time between your boring rear end class gimmick actually being up.

Nah the old card system sucked. Just needs some number tweaks and QoL changes with sleeve draw and/or Minor Arcana.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hakarne posted:

the platonic ideal of pulling a dungeon is to pull as many mobs as the dungeon lets you before putting up a physical wall that prevents further progress. this is not particularly feasible in some early dungeons due to early design (especially the dungeons that are remnants from 1.0). however, the fact remains that a single pack of mobs is not threatening even to a group of literal bots, and it's simple math to demonstrate that more mobs at once = more potency with AoE attacks per unit time = better than. pull two packs at a time whenever you can at least.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My current AST wishlist
  • Buff personal DPS and increase card DPS contributions until they're at least equivalent with SCH.
  • Roll Collective Unconscious' damage reduction into Earthly Star and its regen effect into Celestial Opposition. As much as I like the aesthetics of the bubble, it's horrendously awkward to use in dungeons effectively and is strictly inferior to every other healer's damage reduction/regen floor effect option.
  • Give Celestial Opposition its stun back so that dungeons are slightly less nightmarish.
  • Make Sleeve Draw require less APM than playing professional Brood War to use optimally. Personal preference would be that it draws a card that's guaranteed to be a different seal than the last card you played with a concomitantly shorter cooldown.
  • Change Celestial Intersection to give Neutral Sect's dual sect bonus for the next Aspected action you perform.
  • Change Neutral Sect so that its additional effect is an increase on the duration of HoTs/shields you output. You could also make it affect card durations as part of the buff to their overall DPS contribution, thus making it more challenging to optimize.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanfy posted:

You're level 74, have you LOOKED at the damage of Afflatus Misery, please use your free instant Cure IIs that feed your nuclear explosions. At least cast more Assizes or Tetragrammatons or even a single Asylum! No don't spam 1 Cure stop it please I can't :negative:

Related, I was a SAM in Quitana Ravel and the other DPS was a level-synced BLM that never used flare and stuck to the single target Fire 4 even when the tank double/wall to wall pulled. I'm pretty sure they never even used Despair, compared to when I did it with a 76 BLM that did use all of those things and I actually got to see the Despair spell effect :v:

Hakarne posted:

It is ok to be a noob. If you're pushing your buttons as appropriate (tooltips are there for a reason) the rest is learning encounters/dungeon layouts and adjusting for how well your party does things. Especially if you DF where you get weirdos that don't push half their buttons and find out that single pulling the dungeon is faster than double+ because said buttons happen to be the AoE ones.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nah the old card system sucked. Just needs some number tweaks and QoL changes with sleeve draw and/or Minor Arcana.

No it's intensly boring and it needs to be redone because like I said the vast majority of the time you're just goign to be pressing 4 buttons to get a buff that does next to nothing even if they lower Divinitation's CD. Even if they get rid of the play button they'd still have you jamming Minor arcana half the time and then again to play it after the conversion. On top of this Sleeve Draw is the dumbest button that actively creates so much busy work you have to use LS to not lose GCDs to just use it so it needs an entire rework as well because that'd still be true even if you cut out half the button presses.

This is legit the worst the class has been and it needs another go at the drawing board cause most AST players straight up hate these changes according to that JPN player base poll posted earlier.

like even post nerf Chain Strategem is a bigger DPS gain than all your cards AND diviniation and all you have to do for it is just push 1 button every 2 minutes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being able to megapull really comes down to having a good grasp of the dungeon layout and your own defensive abilities, which you're not going to really have as a new player. Most people won't give you grief for slow pulling if they see your sprout icon. But, if you see your healer running ahead of you, /beckoning you, rescuing you forward, actively pulling extra mobs, or outright telling you that they can handle more mobs, then you should probably consider pulling more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Finally got some time to try the game out this weekend. Was a weird experience. I haven't really played MMOs besides WoW back in the day (technically I preordered Warhammer Online but I also canceled during beta because the game was 10/10 for the first 15 levels and Real Bad afterwards) and bounced off SW:TOR hard when I tried it out near the start of the year because of MMO things. I thought I was just kinda over lovely MMO quests and clunky gameplay after that, but FFXIV still managed to draw me in despite having both so far.

It is a step up with storytelling, but in-game cutscenes without voices are pretty awkward and the actual quests for the first ~20 levels are the most basic fetch-quests and the little main quest story I've seen has been nonsense, so it's actually even weaker in the plot itself than what little I saw of TOR. Every Thaumaturge ability being 2.5 seconds cast is so very boring so combat hasn't exactly set its hooks in me either, yet despite all that it's keeping me coming back. Part of it is just stronger presentation and probably me always being more of a fantasy person than a scifi one, but it's still weirdly addicting for what it actually is.

Is there any dos/don'ts list for Realm Reborn content? I started on a bonus XP server and so far it seems to be doling out levels like candy so I'm not doing every quest. Just following the main quest the recommendation?