Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Ruminahui posted:

Why not just, you know, FORCE them to loving do it.

Why is it always “incentives”?

Because job creators are extremely skittish. You dont want to scare them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Luckyellow posted:

Mentioned "inheritance tax" and "worker owned means of production" to a job creator and he up and died.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ruminahui posted:

I was literally responding to a poster who asked for alternatives to forcing them.

joepinetree posted:

A lot of research has shown that the college bonus (the amount, on average, that college graduates make more than the general population) is directly tied to how expensive and rare it is to get a college degree.

Want to make it so people don't have to go to college to have a good job? Make college free

Yes, I agree college should be free. I also think that we should go FURTHER and work to offer significant alternatives to college as well (also free) that are accessible to those without the four year commitment. I'm not arguing against free college here.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 14, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

Also are we literally lumping any attempt to motivate business through tax incentives as 'numbers fuckstein'?
Any attempt to motivate business that isn't confiscating control and ownership of that business and handing it to the people who work there is numbers-fucksteinism, yes.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

I was literally responding to a poster who asked for alternatives to forcing them.

There is no alternative. Business owners get one thing and one thing only- pain :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ok for those supporting Tax Credits to Businesses as a form of social policy, what's your best historical success?

I don't think tax credits for businesses were a big part of the civil rights movement, the ADA certainly isn't tax credit based, etc. So I'm curious what's the historical basis for thinking they'd be successful.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Any attempt to motivate business that isn't confiscating control and ownership of that business and handing it to the people who work there is numbers-fucksteinism, yes.

I had no idea Bernie Sanders was such a numbers fuckstein :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Z. Autobahn posted:

More like number fuckstein, and the number is zero.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

We 👏 Need 👏 More 👏 Democratic 👏 Candidates 👏Talking 👏 About 👏 Tax 👏 Credits 👏

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

Do you think when people say "Bernie Sanders is the compromise" they're just being glib?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Candidates I would be willing to vote for as the Democratic nominee for president: Bernie Sanders, Marianne Williamson

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Trabisnikof posted:

Ok for those supporting Tax Credits to Businesses as a form of social policy, what's your best historical success?

The historical success is that it frames all positive change as only being possible through a tax system. The lead result is that whenever the public wants something done or address, that petition of government can easily be dismissed with "how will you pay for it?" under the undeniable given that taxes would go up.

So the historical success, specifically is that it funnels money to the rich. Which is the actual goal.

Pardon me for answering for those tax credits mcfucksteins.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Luckyellow posted:

There is no such thing as a job creator.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lol why on earth shouldn’t employers consider educational background in hiring decisions? Left wing anti-intellectualism strikes again.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

Lol why on earth shouldn’t employers consider educational background in hiring decisions? Left wing anti-intellectualism strikes again.

sir this is an arby's

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sir this is an arby's

On the very last page someone suggested it should be an illegal hiring practice to prefer candidates with a degree. Seriously?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

On the very last page someone suggested it should be an illegal hiring practice to prefer candidates with a degree. Seriously?

Yeah but they're also proposing tax credits for walmart so maybe dont blame the left for that one.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ogmius815 posted:

I would rather employers prefer those of "worker" class backgrounds over a brainwashed liberal graduated from liberal brainwashing machine known as universities

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Typo posted:

I would rather employers prefer those of "worker" class backgrounds over a brainwashed liberal graduated from liberal brainwashing machine known as universities

:yikes:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SAVoltolin/status/1150208226228625408

They are hated by all!

NO MORE DNC Candidates. Warren must fully support the left or face the same fate as Delaney!

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

lmao jesus christ the only reason I brought up tax incentives was in direct response to a post saying "If we can't force employers, what else can we do", and even then it was in the context of "would be a start". I am not arguing it's a robust solution or an ideal solution or the desired solution. I literally said "It's a start [if other plans are non-viable]." I support free college and think the left candidates don't go far enough in terms of radical solutions to dismantle the incredibly broken college institution, everyone calm down

Ogmius815 posted:

I said "for most jobs", and I stand by that. It's reasonable to want your doctor to have gone to medical school. There is absolutely no good reason you should need a college education to be an entry-level administrative assistant or data-entry clerk or any of a million non-manual non-service careers. Mandating or preferring college graduates for these jobs serves to exclude the huge swath of qualified applicants who can't afford college, either in terms of time or money or both, and transforms college into a class gate-keeping model to ensure only upper-middle-class-or-higher kids are qualified for even the simplest of entry-level white collar positions.

The primary metric for hiring should be "is this person qualified for this job?" Knowing whether or not they spent four years chilling in a dorm, getting blazed, and sleeping through Sociology 101 does not tell me whether or not a candidate is qualified to work front-desk reception. "Preferring candidates with a degree" in any job where the direct skillset is not related to the degree is 100% code for "Preferring middle-class or higher applicants"

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 15, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
How much of rules regarding writing prescriptions is private professional associations like the AMA and how much is written law?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Which candidate will release the first Mario Maker stage

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ruminahui posted:

Liberalism, op. The why for the terrible decision is always Liberalism.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ogmius815 posted:

1) the amount of student loan debt someone is in is abusable by an employer: a more deeply indebted employee is less likely to quit on short notice, ruffle feathers, ask for a raise, and so on

2) what level of left wing anti-intellectualism are you on?? "Employers can't discriminate by social class signifiers like bachelors degrees"???? you are like a little baby. Watch this: pol pot did nothing wrong

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I do think employers should be allowed to refuse to hire MBAs.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Yeah libertarian paternalism is the absolute loving worst. It combines using the power of the state to make people do poo poo, which is something people will naturally resist unless there is a clear and obvious reason and benefit for it (which libertarian paternalism never provides), with the notion of raising taxes to accomplish goals, which Americans have also been conditioned to hate with the fury of one million suns.

It's what you get when some busybody "wonk" rear end in a top hat hits on the idea of funding literally everything with vice taxes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Okay my tax plan is we take 50% of all the money, as determined by whom has the most of it, if you're making less you dont ever pay taxes.

The IRS is now configured like the Kaiju monitoring center from Pacific Rim.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

crazy cloud posted:

1) the amount of student loan debt someone is in is abusable by an employer: a more deeply indebted employee is less likely to quit on short notice, ruffle feathers, ask for a raise, and so on

2) what level of left wing anti-intellectualism are you on?? "Employers can't discriminate by social class signifiers like bachelors degrees"???? you are like a little baby. Watch this: pol pot did nothing wrong

:chloe:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i mean you realize half of that is loving with you because you accused people of being anti-intellectual for saying that requiring a degree is, by and large, bullshit, right

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, in all seriousness, Pol Pot made 1 or 2 missteps. I know that's not a popular opinion, but to stay on topic, Bernie could learn a lot from the example.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Without credentialism how will I know how much I'm worth

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Liberals have lost their authority on being the moral voice that fights for the oppressed. Those of us awake to it are not putting up with your poo poo anymore. You’re not going to shame us into supporting right wing capitalist democrats. gently caress these rich and middle class cowards who uphold capitalism because they’re afraid of losing the position they’ve been allowed to attain at the expense of poor folks being exploited and subjugated to excessive and cruel living conditions. Anyone who tries to fight for the lower class is censored, suppressed, and marginalized by these entitled bourgeois liberals that don’t give a gently caress about us. gently caress. Centrists.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i mean you realize half of that is loving with you because you accused people of being anti-intellectual for saying that requiring a degree is, by and large, bullshit, right

really makes you question the value of a college education in the first place

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Calibanibal posted:

Without credentialism how will I know how much I'm worth

The realest Calibanibal post itt.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Yeah white people without college degrees are well known for their rational decision making and forward thinking attitudes. I think we should have more of them, and in positions of power too!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah white people without college degrees are well known for their rational decision making and forward thinking attitudes. I think we should have more of them, and in positions of power too!

college just produces lanyard "centrist ghouls" who don't give a poo poo about poor and minorities who vote for fascists like warren and harris instead of bernie and college degrees are worthless for being good at jobs anyway

I think we should really increase the cost of college so fewer people gets turned into centrist lanyard ghouls and we would have more support for good candidates like williamson and bernie

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

you're an insufferable moron that takes everything anyone says in bad faith and pretends not to understand what they're talking about
shut the gently caress up already you piece of poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ogmius815 posted:

Who said positions of power

I can't get an entry level data entry job because I don't have a degree, despite a degree not actually being necessary

Stop reading "most" and assuming 'all" you twit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Of course this points out that your position is that we should benefit people with college degrees who are disproportionately not black, hispanic or native america.

You're convincing me that maybe we should ban asking for educational status for more positions.