Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dillbag posted:

just giving you a hard time

Happens when Red Sonja comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Big 3 #3 (1940)

Whiz Comics #6 (1940)

Kid Eternity #8 (1947)

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #8 (1968)

The Mighty Isis #5 (1977)

The Man of Steel #4 (1986)

Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus #1 (1995)

Impulse #45 (1999)

G.L.A.: Misassembled #2 (2005)

Astonishing Tales #1 (2009)

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II #2 (2017)

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Robin looks like he overdosed on NBA jam cheatcodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

Kid Eternity #8 (1947)

Weird senior quote for the yearbook but hey, live your dreams I guess

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing Spider-Man #25

The story is written by a bot and is a gift from the robot-gods.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Second Coming #1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #25

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would pick up a book entirely written by that bot

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"My greatest enema" has me thinking this is someone pretending to be a bot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"The only thing you will push is a prison when you are in prison" is good

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You could post every page of that bot comic here because it's gold start to finish. RIP Ben Uncle, Peter's friend

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #25

I don't see the big deal, just some Spidey Super Stories being released

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Teenage Fansub posted:

"My greatest enema" has me thinking this is someone pretending to be a bot.

Could be a person picking good lines from a bots output

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Could be a person picking good lines from a bots output

That's what it seems like to me, yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bots are pretty good these days.

I fed the bolded to talktotransformer.

quote:

"I have you now, Dr. Octopus!" yelled Spidey. "I see you have made amends with Lady Venom, and the villain responsible. I ask the court to find you guilty at your trial and to ensure that you are condemned."

"What have I done wrong?" asked the judge over his loudspeaker.

"You have been apprehended!"

The judge, dressed in purple robes and a blue robe, stood, and as soon as the two combatants stood in front of the other the Judge spoke and declared the two combatants guilty and that the two had agreed that their crimes be punished.

"May I ask how many times is the sentence one year?" demanded the Judge.

"Well, that is the only proper amount - five years' imprisonment," said the villain. "Your sentence is: You shall be executed. After all, you were one of the greatest villains in the history of the universe and thus no one could question the decision! I am pleased that the court is satisfied!" said the Judge, smiling widely.

"Do not be pleased with me, Doctor Octopus," said the judge. It was not necessary to tell the villain that while Spidey had been captured the evil genius was no more and, by law, he could not be tried. I did not dare to protest against the verdict.

On reaching court, I noticed that my client's lawyer had not been present, or that I had taken the opportunity of reading an early copy of the court document. I checked the envelope for my lawyer.

"Thank you, Doctor Octopus," it read. "May I request an attendance fee for today in the courtroom? I'll come down to sign the petition, please?"

This was the opening line of the final argument, that I have heard many times before. In fact, the word the defendants used to convince the judge that these defendants could avoid all the costs, attorneys' fees and court costs was not at all convincing. After several seconds that I was certain would take long, I said that would be fine with me, just that I would like to hear their arguments, their reasoning, their arguments on the same page, with the same arguments and only with the same arguments I had just heard.

It's easy to talk about how wonderful to hear a good argument in court, about how persuasive the judge is, but the judge was wrong, too.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Teenage Fansub posted:

Second Coming #1
That's just too much almost-Marcionism for me this early in the morning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

OK, True Believer, this is your chance to draw your own version of what kind of alien monstrosity is under the mask! Have at it!

From classic Newspaper Spidey :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

From classic Newspaper Spidey :allears:

quote:

All who know fear stick at the touch of the Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember that time Dr Strange was cucked by Ben Franklin?

https://twitter.com/writeneski/status/1149727826817536001?s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/writeneski/status/1149727826817536001?s=19

Oh, like Strange isn't into the swinger scene.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Quick, someone get Jonah the Hunter approved! Have him smoke critter-themed cigars to temporarily gain animal powers!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Yes, because I constantly bring it up.

Also, it was an eighty year old Ben Franklin. Hundred dollar man has game.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, because I constantly bring it up.

Also, it was an eighty year old Ben Franklin. Hundred dollar man has game.

Didn’t Franklin have a thing for older woman, getting a centuries old woman must have been a highlight of the old dogs life.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Edmund Lava posted:

Didn’t Franklin have a thing for older woman, getting a centuries old woman must have been a highlight of the old dogs life.

Yes he wrote at length about the 'virtues' of older women.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ygolonac posted:

Quick, someone get Jonah the Hunter approved! Have him smoke critter-themed cigars to temporarily gain animal powers!

I actually like the idea of a superhero with a utility belt of disposable items that temporarily grants him specific powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually like the idea of a superhero with a utility belt of disposable items that temporarily grants him specific powers.

That's such a golden age idea that I'm sure it's been done.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dial "B" for Beltman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't that just a technological version of Nico Minoru

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought that was just Batman

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Isn't that just a technological version of Nico Minoru

Not necessarily technological. I'm thinking a set of magical items that are used up every time they use one and each grants a specific power, like flight or eye beams. They can use as many combinations as they can deploy at once, but the powers only last for a few seconds before disappearing so they need to make creative tactical use of each and can't get more until they make more after the fight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there's the inhuman guy who basically does that, but i think only 3 at a time or something, cant think of their name tho

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm picturing him doing something like climbing a building, but because his powers only last for a short time he has to use up like 3 or 4 different powers for flight, climbing, super strength (so he can jump really high), etc. by the time he gets up there and of course he loving needs poo poo like that when he's arrived.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm picturing him doing something like climbing a building, but because his powers only last for a short time he has to use up like 3 or 4 different powers for flight, climbing, super strength (so he can jump really high), etc. by the time he gets up there and of course he loving needs poo poo like that when he's arrived.
I think the big problem here is how to efficiently communicate this kind of complexity, especially in the modern environment where thought-bubbles are depreciated. How are you going to clearly show that Gimmick Lad used up FOUR out of his seven gimmick items - just to get up to the top of this building - PHEW!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nessus posted:

I think the big problem here is how to efficiently communicate this kind of complexity, especially in the modern environment where thought-bubbles are depreciated. How are you going to clearly show that Gimmick Lad used up FOUR out of his seven gimmick items - just to get up to the top of this building - PHEW!

Decent writing? That whole sequence can be done in one page.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
narration boxes

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

chitoryu12 posted:

Not necessarily technological. I'm thinking a set of magical items that are used up every time they use one and each grants a specific power, like flight or eye beams. They can use as many combinations as they can deploy at once, but the powers only last for a few seconds before disappearing so they need to make creative tactical use of each and can't get more until they make more after the fight.

Sounds a little like the Witcher.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nessus posted:

sounds like a manga or anime

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

there's the inhuman guy who basically does that, but i think only 3 at a time or something, cant think of their name tho
You're thinking of Reader
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Reader_(Inhuman)_(Earth-616)

He can read three brail cards a day (separated by a full night's sleep), and whatever he reads happens. First card has the biggest effects, and they scale down as they used.

One example was the second card he read was "sanctuary", so he got a mini castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also that basically describes any Vancian magic character in a tabletop RPG. Like, wizards (or clerics, I think?) in D&D.