Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I picked up some pork ribs from Meijer earlier today, and I've got them marinating with some chipotle bacon seasoning and a bit of liquid smoke right now. I plan on throwing them on the grill later, but I've heard that when grilling them, it takes a fair amount of time.

About how long will it take? I've heard about 90 minutes, or just an hour, but flipping them about every five minutes. I've got a gas grill; my current plan is to turn the heat to low, put the ribs on, and flip about every five minutes for roughly an hour. How wrong am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I've been using some flat rice noodles and the package says to put noodles in a bowl and over with hot water to cook for like 12min. Every time I do this though a good portion of the noodles end up being stuck together as if super glued. What am I doing wrong or how should I be cooking them?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Soooo.....Gouda on tacos... Is this weird?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

In TYOOL 2019 we have doritos tacos and tacos made out of chicken and Burger King is serving tacos. You do whatever your crazy little heart wants to do with tacos.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

Gouda is excellent cheese which has a lot of flavor* but isn't so strongly flavored like some cheeses can be, meaning you can use it on pretty much anything.

* If you get a good one, there's lots of fakery out there.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So much smoked "gouda" at the grocery store has "processed cheese product" under the word Gouda in tiny print :saddowns:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I was at a wedding this weekend and at the end, there was loads of buffet food left over including approximately 1.5kg of chorizo, salami, Parma ham and a stunningly good air-dried sliced lamb. The couple getting married aren’t going to be in the country for a couple of weeks and I was one of the only people with a car, and I hate seeing food go to waste, so I’ve scavenged loads of leftovers, including all the meat and some low-tier wedding wine.

I’m sure I can find a use for the wine, but does anyone have ideas of what to do with over a kilo of cheap but decent charcuterie?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sterster posted:

So I've been using some flat rice noodles and the package says to put noodles in a bowl and over with hot water to cook for like 12min. Every time I do this though a good portion of the noodles end up being stuck together as if super glued. What am I doing wrong or how should I be cooking them?

Are you gently separating them while they are soaking or just leaving them? Sometimes the noodles are ‘stuck’ together in the packet and need moving about a bit as they soften.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

So I was at a wedding this weekend and at the end, there was loads of buffet food left over including approximately 1.5kg of chorizo, salami, Parma ham and a stunningly good air-dried sliced lamb. The couple getting married aren’t going to be in the country for a couple of weeks and I was one of the only people with a car, and I hate seeing food go to waste, so I’ve scavenged loads of leftovers, including all the meat and some low-tier wedding wine.

I’m sure I can find a use for the wine, but does anyone have ideas of what to do with over a kilo of cheap but decent charcuterie?

have you considered gout as a lifestyle choice?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thinking of finally getting off my rear end and growing herbs like thyme and parsley at home instead of buying. Would it be worth it to start this late in the year (I'm in the California bay area) or should I just make a note to do it early next year?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The bay area has like an 11.75 month growing season. If it somehow gets cold, you can plant em in planters and bring em in for the night.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

Are you gently separating them while they are soaking or just leaving them? Sometimes the noodles are ‘stuck’ together in the packet and need moving about a bit as they soften.

The stuff in the package is too dry and is not stuck together. Once I add water a lot of the noodles glue themselves together.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You ought to be fine starting them now if you're in the Bay Area. These are plants you want to plant in pots or small planters so you can bring them indoors during the winter, so if you get started now, you'll have nice healthy herbs going into the fall.

My advice would be to get live plant starts instead of starting from seed, and make sure to get the plants from a decent nursery/garden shop. The little pots of herbs that you see in the produce section at the grocery are notoriously sickly and I've never seen one that thrived.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sounds awesome. I'll pick up a bunch of stuff from the farmer's market next weekend. Thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

Thinking of finally getting off my rear end and growing herbs like thyme and parsley at home instead of buying. Would it be worth it to start this late in the year (I'm in the California bay area) or should I just make a note to do it early next year?
Keep in mind that parsley is biennial, so you get one good growing season, one so-so growing season, and then it's dead. In practice I've found that the second season of flat-leaf parsley is usually too woody to be worth bothering with.

Thyme is a plant it once and you've got thyme forever deal unless you go out of your way to dig it up or something. Same with rosemary.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

The bay area has like an 11.75 month growing season. If it somehow gets cold, you can plant em in planters and bring em in for the night.

Sort of. The summer heat (in SJ, different in SF obviously) kills everything so you end up with two growing seasons. The wet season in the winter kills plants by overwatering.

I had a real hard time growing cilantro last year. Gotta start it early.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Weltlich posted:

have you considered gout as a lifestyle choice?

I’m working on it.

For real though just the thought of straight up chomping on all this salty meat gives me phantom hypertension so I should probably try to host a party or something to share the love. I’m just looking for creative ways to do this.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This weekend we made this ATK pad thai recipe which calls for drying out some shrimp in the microwave to replace the tiny dried shrimp commonly found in Thai cooking. It didn't really do much for the recipe, IMO. We picked up some shrimp paste at the store that I'd like to use instead when we make it next; my question is, at what point should we add it, and how much? I was thinking like a tablespoon, added around the time the scallion/garlic is cooked down. Any suggestions?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I’m working on it.

For real though just the thought of straight up chomping on all this salty meat gives me phantom hypertension so I should probably try to host a party or something to share the love. I’m just looking for creative ways to do this.

Yeah. I'm salt sensitive as well, so I feel the pain.

The best advice I can give is to freeze it and use it as seasoning meat for other dishes, and go light on the salt when you're making them.

Things I'd use them in:

Greens - when pressure-cooking a batch of kale or collards, I'd toss in ~50 to 100 grams of cured meat per kilo of greens along with my other spices to give them some richness and depth.

Beans - Same sort of idea - about 100g to the kilo of soaked beans, and use a salt-free chicken or beef stock to boot.

Frittatas / Omelettes - Chop some in along with the veggies when you whip it into the eggs

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The Midniter posted:

This weekend we made this ATK pad thai recipe which calls for drying out some shrimp in the microwave to replace the tiny dried shrimp commonly found in Thai cooking. It didn't really do much for the recipe, IMO. We picked up some shrimp paste at the store that I'd like to use instead when we make it next; my question is, at what point should we add it, and how much? I was thinking like a tablespoon, added around the time the scallion/garlic is cooked down. Any suggestions?

I haven't worked with shrimp paste, but check the salt before adding it to anything. I made that mistake with anchovie paste once. Never again.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

Greens - when pressure-cooking a batch of kale or collards, I'd toss in ~50 to 100 grams of cured meat per kilo of greens along with my other spices to give them some richness and depth.

I’ve never used a pressure cooker, so I may be completely wrong about this, but I suspect this is one where you’d be better doing it in a regular pan: fry the meat on a low heat to tender out some of the fat, bloom your spice and possibly fry some onions before chucking in your greens to wilt them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

http://shesimmers.com/2011/11/pad-thai-recipe-part-five-making-pad.html

1tbsp looks right per leela

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

ineptmule posted:

For the chorizo, Gordon Ramsay makes a good roast chicken stuffed with chorizo and cannellini beans (video, written recipe).

The Spanish also use it to make sopa de lentejas — there are like a zillion recipes online, and they all vary to taste, but I can post my recipe if you like.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Weltlich posted:

Yeah. I'm salt sensitive as well, so I feel the pain.

The best advice I can give is to freeze it and use it as seasoning meat for other dishes, and go light on the salt when you're making them.

Things I'd use them in:

Beans - Same sort of idea - about 100g to the kilo of soaked beans, and use a salt-free chicken or beef stock to boot.

Frittatas / Omelettes - Chop some in along with the veggies when you whip it into the eggs

This but also risotto

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

DasNeonLicht posted:

For the chorizo, Gordon Ramsay makes a good roast chicken stuffed with chorizo and cannellini beans (video, written recipe).

The Spanish also use it to make sopa de lentejas — there are like a zillion recipes online, and they all vary to taste, but I can post my recipe if you like.

Anything lentils is my jam, I’d love to hear your recipe.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone have a pulled pork instant pot recipe they like a lot? I was going to do the usual sugar + Worcestershire & spices that I used to do in a crockpot, but this recipe also looked pretty good:

https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-pulled-pork/ I dont usually cube the pork when I did it with the crock but it looks pretty good? I have a 2.8lb 'petite pork shoulder roast' I got on sale.

Also looking for good instant pot recipes for kale, this sounded quite good:

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/instant-pot-kale-garlic-dal/ but I also enjoy them cooked like collard greens. Most recipes I saw were on vegan sites for just steamed kale (and it seemed dreadfully underseasoned) but that's not my jam. I eat just about everything so gimme whatcha like.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I’ve never used a pressure cooker, so I may be completely wrong about this, but I suspect this is one where you’d be better doing it in a regular pan: fry the meat on a low heat to tender out some of the fat, bloom your spice and possibly fry some onions before chucking in your greens to wilt them.

If you are sautéing them that is totally valid. I usually do my greens “southern style” which is more of a stewed process and results in really tender greens, especially for stuff like kale which can be really tough. The result is basically Appalachian Saag.

2 lbs of chopped greens (kale, collard, mustard, or turnip. Spinach gets too mushy, I’ve no real experience with beet greens)
3 oz of a seasoning meat (bacon, ham, sausage, whatever)
1 medium onion chopped
2 big cloves of garlic minced
1.5 cups of broth or stock (I use no salt added)
1.5 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp flaked red pepper
1 tsp black pepper

If it’s a fatty meat I start sautéing that without oil, if it’s lean I’ll add a little oil to help. Once it’s browned and rendered some I’ll toss in the onion and sauté until clarified. Then add garlic and spices until they’re fragrant. Deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker with the broth, then add the greens. Lock the lid bring it to pressure for 20 minutes then let it cool naturally. If you’re doing it in a regular stockpot, it takes a few hours at a simmer, and you’ll need to add water a couple times to keep the liquid level up.

You can also add in two cups of soaked black eye peas or hominy for the true Appalachian poverty experience. Just add an extra half cup of liquid.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Weltlich posted:

If you are sautéing them that is totally valid. I usually do my greens “southern style” which is more of a stewed process and results in really tender greens, especially for stuff like kale which can be really tough. The result is basically Appalachian Saag.

2 lbs of chopped greens (kale, collard, mustard, or turnip. Spinach gets too mushy, I’ve no real experience with beet greens)
1 medium onion chopped
1.5 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp flaked red pepper
1 tsp black pepper

If it’s a fatty meat I start sautéing that without oil, if it’s lean I’ll add a little oil to help. Once it’s browned and rendered some I’ll toss in the onion and sauté until clarified. Then add garlic and spices until they’re fragrant. Deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker with the broth, then add the greens. Lock the lid bring it to pressure for 20 minutes then let it cool naturally. If you’re doing it in a regular stockpot, it takes a few hours at a simmer, and you’ll need to add water a couple times to keep the liquid level up.

You can also add in two cups of soaked black eye peas or hominy for the true Appalachian poverty experience. Just add an extra half cup of liquid.

Can confirm deliciousness, ate, and eat, this all the time with my grandma, who grew up in a subsistence farming family in the Smokey Mountains.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Weltlich posted:

1 medium onion chopped
1.5 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp flaked red pepper
1 tsp black pepper

Thanks! This works for my question too. Gonna try it tomorrow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Weltlich posted:

It's not just Appalachia, I'm from Piedmont North Carolina and greens, creamed rice and a pork chop/chicken thigh was a very standard meal for my family.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Midniter posted:

I don't know if your shrimp paste is like the one I use but a tablespoon sounds like quite a lot unless you're cooking for maybe 3-4 people, it might make things very salty. I use it mostly in nasi goreng and for that I dry-fry it separately from the other ingredients until it's nice and crumbly, and I do this long before I plan on eating because it is very smelly, and it's not a good smell - it's kind of a 'low tide on a hot day' smelly. It's totally worth it though, because it tastes great :)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 16, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

It's not just Appalachia, I'm from Piedmont North Carolina and greens, creamed rice and a pork chop/chicken thigh was a very standard meal for my family.

For sure, this basic preparation of greens is sort of a pan-southern poor folk's food. I tend to associate it a lot with the Blue Ridge of Virginia, just because that's where I'm from - and, within my own lifespan, beans'n'greens served over crumbled cornbread was still a staple dish at least three nights a week. A lot of people laugh when I say I was pretty much a vegetarian as a kid, but culturally speaking, meat was almost more of a seasoning that added depth to otherwise vegetable dishes.

I don't have any data to back it up, but I'd wager one of the biggest differentiations within "southern greens" isn't the overall method of preparation, but rather what kind of greens were used. We were heavy on Kale and Mustard greens, but I've got friends who lived in South Carolina and Georgia that have family recipes that leaned more heavily on collard and turnip greens.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I recently discovered jowl bacon at Walmart. It’s half the price of normal bacon at $3/lb and makes the perfect seasoning meat. I slice it thick and freeze the slices and so it’s easy to just grab a few slices to throw in a pot instead of a whole ham hock or whatever.

I’m from south Alabama and it’s mostly collards and turnip greens here (and no cumin or garlic! Which I’m sure is good, I’ve just not had them that way) and mustard greens when they’re in season in the winter. We never heard of kale until like 5 years ago. Mustard greens are by far my favorite, followed by turnip greens. I use frozen turnip greens a lot and they seem much more tender than fresh, and no dirt. Summer tends to be more of the thousand kinds of peas (purple hull are the best) and fresh butter beans and squash than greens.

Why isn’t there a southern food thread?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Why isn’t there a southern food thread?

Probably would reach super solar mass and collapse into a black hole due to the weight of opinions on how to make BBQ and cornbread

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
My family is from Tennessee, and definitely favored collards and mustard greens.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

Probably would reach super solar mass and collapse into a black hole due to the weight of opinions on how to make BBQ and cornbread
I read this as "sugar molar mass" for some reason which I don't think actually even means anything, but it provoked images of enormous, sweet tea swilling southrons collapsing the universe with the weight of their cholesterol clogged coronary arteries.

Anyone in the south can make cornbread however they like it and that's fine-it's those damned yankees that make it all wrong, obviously.

I might have to cook smothered pork chops tonight, in any case.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm from Kansas City so I'm not a southerner but I will say barbecue pedantry always irritates me. There's a thousand regional variations all with fascinating histories and all of them are valid and good. I love KC barbecue but come on, are you gonna tell me Carolina style isn't delicious? Are you gonna have Texas brisket and argue it's not good? Are you gonna look at a pitmaster who's been cooking whole hog for fifty years and argue he should be cooking beef? It's as irritating as the regional pizza debate. The irony on that one being I'm a huge hypocrite because I hate St. Louis style pizza and it's from my own home state .

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Korean BBQ is the best anyway.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

bartlebee posted:

I'm from Kansas City so I'm not a southerner but I will say barbecue pedantry always irritates me. There's a thousand regional variations all with fascinating histories and all of them are valid and good. I love KC barbecue but come on, are you gonna tell me Carolina style isn't delicious? Are you gonna have Texas brisket and argue it's not good? Are you gonna look at a pitmaster who's been cooking whole hog for fifty years and argue he should be cooking beef? It's as irritating as the regional pizza debate. The irony on that one being I'm a huge hypocrite because I hate St. Louis style pizza and it's from my own home state .

We invented the pork steak so you should give the pizza a pass :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

St. Louis pizza I can't even tell you what it is, but I will get agitated and insist that Chicago style is a casserole, not pizza.