Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

therobit posted:

I hate both of these people.

I hate her substantially more but he sounds kind of insufferable as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Me [26M] with my girlfriend [24F] of 3 years, had a fight following disappointing birthday venue" Darn, can't find this. Deleted already?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Me [26M] with my girlfriend [24F] of 3 years, had a fight following disappointing birthday venue" Darn, can't find this. Deleted already?
Nah, just old and archived.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Haifisch posted:

Me [26M] with my girlfriend [24F] of 3 years, had a fight following disappointing birthday venue

tHeY ChAnGe tHe fOoD AnD MeNu eAcH WeEk, WhY WoUlD ThE FoOd yOu hAd tHeN Be bAd aNd sTiLl bE BaD CoNsIsTeNtLy? ThIs pLaCe rEcEiVeS ToP RaTiNg cOnSiStEnTlY, aNd pErHaPs yOu cOuLd nOt lEt tHiS RuIn tHe cElEbRaTiOn.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The food cant still be bad, they change the menu every week is something someone who hasnt yet been diagnosed with lacking tastebuds would say

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Now that I look at OP's profile, apparently it took her several more months to actually dump him:

Me [26 M] with my girlfriend [24 F] 3.5 years, on the verge of breaking up over 'not caring enough'

quote:

My girlfriend just quoted what Sheryl Sandberg shared following the passing of her husband "After my husband died, people kept asking me what they can do for me. While this is done out of goodwill, this actually places the burden back on me as I have to tell them what I needed. Instead, the most important thing is not to ask what I need, but just to do something to show that you care."

Apparently, she was having a terrible day at work and I texted her to tell her that everything would be alright. Work would eventually come to an end, and let me know if you want to talk or anything that I can help you out with. She felt upset that I did not care enough about her, and I did nothing to cheer her up. In her words "Why do I have to tell you exactly what I need you to do. It really hurts me that I feel that my bf does nothing to make me happy anymore, and you don't even try these days."

Would like to know your thoughts on what am I doing wrong? I have tried to make sure we kept communications open even when we argue, and always offer to listen to her or do what she needs if she asks. However, to her point, I did stop short of doing just about anything with the hope to make her feel better. I know the usual response would go along the lines of "you're not a mind reader, you can't tell what she needs", but her bringing it up did make me feel like a lovely partner for a moment, but the rational part of me felt that it bears semblance to the princess mentality.

TL;DR girlfriend feels that offering to do something is not enough, and just about doing anything to make her feel better would be preferred. Unsure if this is just feeding the princess mentality, or I'm just a jerk.

Me [26 M] with my girlfriend [24 F] 3+ years broke up after an overseas trip together

quote:

We took a trip to a neighboring country over Christmas for a short gateway. This has become our annual routine in order to relax and spend time together. However, for this trip, we ended up arguing a lot. Am I generally an rear end in a top hat and someone who loves to argue, or we are simply not compatible?

Day 1

I was 10 minutes late to meeting her on the first day to take the train. I took a detour to buy bread for her, even though she later said that she said that "only buy bread if you are not going to be late". No food is provided on the train, and we would have had nothing to eat for the next 2 hours.

We then had dinner, and I suggested we pick our usual choices at a restaurant we love. She then became mildly irritated and said "but you always get to choose the dishes to order, why don't i get to choose". To which I responded, that is what we always choose together, but feel free to try something new if you want to - if I insist, just give me a nudge and I'll budge.

Day 2

We went shopping around the malls, and we got into a really minor argument about which elevator was the quickest way back to our hotel. She said that we should walk to the other end of the mall and take the elevators there, to which I said why don't we just take the one we are closet to. I completely did not expect what was about to happen next - she became mad and said "you always like to argue - but see I'm always right .. see.. the elevators I suggested would be faster". To which I disagreed again, I told her that the position of the elevator she was thinking of isn't as close, and suggested we take the detour to remind her. She then responded "you always like to argue ... and think you're always right", but refused to take the detour (which i thought was a rational thing to do).

Day 3

At the end of our trip, she said she "no longer loves me, and seems me as a maid whom helps her with her chores", and said we should break up. While trying to talk to her to understand where her frustration is coming from, she responded "you'll never change, and be an rear end in a top hat, always like to argue and think you're the smartest and always right", to which I answered "I believe what's right is likely somewhere in the middle, and a respond to your suggestion should not be construed as an argument, and you could counter-propose". Such situations have always come up, and me repeating my stance - and her not getting her way often ends up in this "you like to argue" situations, and boy, do they really keep me on my toes! She then proceeded to get violent and punched me in my forearm, and tried to hit me on my head.

Q: While I know these are all the red flags of a potentially abusive relationship - help me understand, what did I do wrong here? Am I being a contentious rear end in a top hat whom is always trying to be 'right', or is holding onto my stance something I should not have done?

Q: We have since broken up, and I'm a little perplexed if I was the trigger for her anger?

Q: Her Dad has horrible anger issues, often getting irritated by minor things such as being 1 minute late, or not giving him the respect he deserves (I've been chastised indirectly for not greeting him in a house party hosted by someone else). Is this something she has learned during her childhood, and thinks it is normal? My family has often been more mild and happy-going, and hardly get into any arguments, and this is all new to me.

tldr broke up with girlfriend going on a trip. "Most people prefer the certainty of misery to the misery of uncertainty" kind of led me to agree to the break-up, since this isn't the first time we have been through this.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Girlfriend is meeting an online partner for two weeks, should I be worried.

quote:

So before my girlfriend and I met, she used to chat and send sex snapchats to this guy who lives in New York. It wasn't too long ago too, in our early stages of dating she was still receiving videos from his end. She's just got into a course at this art school and is going to be spending two weeks there. They both agreed to meet up (which is the first time) while he shows her around the city. I feel really insecure and jealous about this. She promises to stay loyal, but I am still uneasy, even confronting her about it. I suggested that we just break up while she is in New York so I don't have to feel worried about it, and she can do whatever she wants without an obligation to me. I'm quite a drastic, black and white person.

Am I justified in feeling this way, and how should I proceed?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Today in Never Going To Restaurants news,

My BIL was just diagnosed with MRSA after working with a person who had it and never covered her wounds

quote:

My brother in law works at a restaurant and one of the employees was diagnosed with MRSA. She never cover her wounds (I’m not certain where her wound was), she was never put on restrictions, and apparently she wasn’t too into washing her hands (eww I know). My BIL burnt his has while cooking and now he has MRSA. Where should my BIL go from here? Management knew of her situation and i feel like she possibly exposed customers. Should he contact a health department? Does he has any legal recourse? Thank you!

Edit: UPDATE! His doctor advised him the best option is to contact the health department. Thank you guys again ❤️

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for having an unequal will drafted even though my kids are young?

I'm 44 with an 18 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. I'm a single father since my wife passed three year ago. Not that it's relevant, but both she and our second daughter passed during childbirth.

I've been dealing with thoughts of mortality and death recently and figured I should get a will drafted to ensure my children are secure. Even though they're still young, I think at this point how they act and behave resembles what they will as they're older. I think most people become themselves around these ages.

I want to split it 90/10 favoring my daughter. She's about to graduate university after an accelerated highschool program and my son wants to drop out the moment he can (here it's at 17). Here's a few things my son has done or has been a part of that cements my idea:

got two girls pregnant, both were terminated
has been expelled from one highschool and had to be put in another in a further district
has already been involved with the police for driving without a license, driving inebriated, and felonious assault (knife)
As much as I love my son since a father's love is unconditional, I don't like him if that makes sense. I believe he has no future and it's not a function of his upbringing, else my daughter wouldn't be at her point. He's just a bad seed, it can't be helped despite my attempts.

My estate isn't huge. I'd give him nothing but at least 10% of my estate ensures he can't contest it and it's enough to get him a couple years of rent. If he makes a complete 180, sure I can get it changed, but I'm confident I won't have to.

Am I the rear end in a top hat, though?

Son sucks poo poo, cut him out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Check out that third image lol

https://twitter.com/DieselbrainArt/status/1150468132949168128?s=19

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

Son sucks poo poo, cut him out.
It'd probably be best for son to get his part of his inheritance (whatever dad decides that is) parceled out in a trust fund instead of all at once. But trying to deal with the root of his behavioral problems now is honestly more important than giving him money later.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's fake. I really wanted it to be real

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jose posted:

Still funny though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah it's really believable with how hosed the internet is

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jose posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure that poo poo has happened somewhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Or in other words, it's real, just not this time

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

AITA for not telling on my son?

quote:

My son is 14. A college student that lives in our building has been complaining about her panties going missing when she does her wash. I found them in my sons room when he was hanging out with friends. I was pretty shocked. He’s a good kid and gets really good grades in school. I put them in a bag and left them outside my neighbors door. I confronted him when he got home and told how serious this matter is. He promised to never do it again and seemed to really understand why it’s an invasion of her privacy. He seemed sincerely sorry too. So I left it at that. AITA? Edit: my son does not care if we punish him. He hasn’t for around 2 years. We took everything from him for two weeks pretty recently. He didn’t complain once and sat in his room the entire time and had no issues with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

Well given he knows consequences doesnt exist and he appears to be a budding sex offender, congratulations on being the parents of a future president

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

Well given he knows consequences doesnt exist and he appears to be a budding sex offender, congratulations on being the parents of a future president

He's good at school, though, so he might become a Supreme Court Justice someday

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pinecone Sample posted:

Son future serial killer, so what

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My boyfriend (23) is accusing me (21) of cheating on him after I drunkenly slept in the wrong room at his house.

Last night my boyfriend and I went to a local fair by his house. We drank quite a few beers and ended up walking back to his house later to sleep. All of his family were gone so we had the house to ourselves. I remember going to bed with him in his room and then before I knew it, it was morning and he was screaming at me to wake up. He said “What are you loving doing in here” and started immediately throwing around accusations. I explained to him that I went into the wrong room after going to the bathroom out of sheer tiredness and being drunk. My phone was in his room and well as my belongings. Obviously my intention were not to switch rooms. But, he didn’t believe me. He searched the entire upstairs and looked around his sisters room. Convinced I had snuck someone into his house and cheated on him when he was two doors down. It makes zero sense.

On top of that, I have never given him a reason to be suspicious. I’ve never cheated on him, talked to other people, etc. Regardless of that, every now and then he’ll have a full blown freak out and accuse me of cheating on him. I feel a little speechless considering I did nothing but the worst was automatically assumed. I don’t know where to go from here because I had to leave for work after he woke me up and he texted me as I was out the door saying “sketchiest thing you’ve done, don’t talk to me for awhile”. This means everything will he dragged on for days while he ghosts me. Just curious, how do I move on from here? Do I try to talk to him or just let this drag on forever? Also, why does he do this?

Tdlr: My boyfriend and I fell asleep together at his empty house and during the night I woke up to go to the bathroom and drunkenly fell asleep in his sisters room instead. Now he is accusing me of cheating on him.

Edit: I want to say thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply to this. You have no idea how much you’ve all helped me. I don’t have many people who can give me unbiased advice so this sincerely has made an impact. Thank you!!!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
"The service has been anything but excellent"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know your boyfriend sounded immature when you started the story but apparently his response to things is to ghost you so now Im worried you're dating a particularly large baby

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
...can someone please clarify, does "chicken salad" in america refer to a bowl of shredded chicken and mayonnaise

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Another collector.
We [M/F both 33] are making no financial progress due to my husband's spending on his hobby, married 3 years
she needs to divorce him for his own good, he's going to be the coolest old bachelor in existence and everyone will love him, she will hopefully move on to someone less insane

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

nankeen posted:

...can someone please clarify, does "chicken salad" in america refer to a bowl of shredded chicken and mayonnaise

Yes, it's breast meat and mayo. Like egg salad, or potato salad. I thought a mess of poo poo in mayonnaise was the more non-American meaning of salad.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

nankeen posted:

Cubed usually but yeah. W/ other stuff mixed in. It's like for sandwiches and stuff.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm crying

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

nankeen posted:

i'm crying
do you have pasta salad

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Anything else will have chicken appended to it.

CHICKEN Cesar Salad. Side Salad with Chicken. Etc.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Anything else will have chicken appended to it.

CHICKEN Cesar Salad. Side Salad with Chicken. Etc.

Holy poo poo I just came in to post this. It's like how fruit salad refers to fruit and unhealthy nonsense but "xxxx" with fruit just means there's fruit in the normal dish. Or Potato Salad means mayo slop, but salad with potatoes is quite literal.

Thus is the current state of encroachment for American cooking etymology

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 15, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you don’t eat mayonnaise you can easily end up on a vegan diet by necessity in like half of America.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm crying

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont come to Japan because they love mayonnaise even more.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I can't find it :smith:

Anyone with better search capabilities want to help me out? It was the woman having a feud with her father-in-law over how to address her in letters.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nankeen posted:

That form of "chicken salad" came to America from Europe, mostly from Germany but you'l never meet a frenchman who doesn't love mayo

Combining mayo with leftover poultry has been a thing for centuries

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 15, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Dont come to Japan because they love mayonnaise even more.

Unfortunately this is my one true actually neurotic food hang up so maybe Japan is not the destination for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nankeen posted:

no. if i ordered a chicken salad i'd expectr a bowl of romaine, shredded/diced charred chicken, maybe some feta and cherry tomatoes

then again i live in california and not the midwest where i guess it could refer to the latter there because they also love abominations like hot dish. i don't think ive ever seen a dishs thats a bowl of mayo and chicken to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MasBrillante posted:

Unfortunately this is my one true actually neurotic food hang up so maybe Japan is not the destination for me.

Don't worry most of their food is very good and has no mayo in it