Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acems
May 8, 2019

I decided to take another stab at level design, this time looking to make something a little harder than before.

My two courses so far have focused on jumping off cannonballs or wigglers. I decided to combine the two. There's some tight jumps in here, but a number of power-ups sprinkled in, as well as a few 1ups.

Here's Cannonball Wiggle: 3CG-Y5S-69G.

Is this too antagonistic? I found it pretty doable, but I also made it.

acems fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Rhinoceros Tomb
TFP 7W0 SDG

That was clever enough to keep me playing despite dying a lot. That final koopa in the warp world had me inventing new swearwords until I got past it more by luck than judgement.

...and I've just now realised I was coming at it the wrong way, and could have bypassed it with ease. God dammit.

alf_pogs posted:

HKL 56R 3KF - Outpost 31

The influence on this should be pretty blazingly obvious.

This was glorious. How did you get the b/w effect? And how did you get it to persist through the whole level?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Rhinoceros Tomb
TFP 7W0 SDG

That was clever enough to keep me playing despite dying a lot. That final koopa in the warp world had me inventing new swearwords until I got past it more by luck than judgement.

...and I've just now realised I was coming at it the wrong way, and could have bypassed it with ease. God dammit.

This was glorious. How did you get the b/w effect? And how did you get it to persist through the whole level?

hey i made both of these! sorry for the tomb. my attitude towards these levels is to eventually be done with it, rather than "it's finished" so there are definitely areas where i've said "okay this is tough but there's at least one easier way to do it, i hope players stumble onto that". and i went through a real "cramped labyrinth puzzle box" level obsession and was enjoying making these twisty little passages. the pass rate for it is about what you'd expect though.

i'm glad you liked Outpost 31!! :sparkles: to make a visual theme persist through the whole level - attach it to mario. i did it with the "horror" theme for this one and it panned out okay. i actually think that's the intended use for some of these, because the music generally plays for a nice long time and it makes the whole thing a bit more cohesive.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 15, 2019

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

I've never played Dark Souls, but I can see how it might be similar to this. It was fun to navigate the dungeon and find keys and power-ups. I got past the big Magikoopa once, but died in a silly way just after that. It's definitely hard, but I don't think it's unfair. I think that I could beat it if I gave it a few more tries, but it's getting late, so your first clear is going to have to come from somewhere else. Nice work, though!

Thank you! I was a little worried about it feeling unfair so I'm glad you don't think so. Appreciate you checking it out!

J-Spot posted:

I expected to hate this because Dark Souls inspired usually means lovely unfair difficulty and overly long exploration heavy levels are usually kind of tedious. For the most part it was actually pretty good with some clever setups. There was one part I absolutely hated though. The hammer brother section after the checkpoint is just a mean power-up filter, and you put the checkpoint right before it so if you managed to get the starman run the first time you couldn't do it again. Maybe I could have slowly picked them off with the fire flower or backtracked to do the star run again but that wouldn't be very fun.

Oh nuts, I was thinking that if you unlocked the door the first time it would stay unlocked when you restarted from the checkpoint...I meant to verify that after uploading but I forgot :shobon: That's pretty annoying if you have to run back to get the key when you die. I might make some changes there and reupload. Thanks for pointing that out!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I added a thing, let me know if you hate it.

Reverend Stupid
Aug 7, 2003

Lemme know if you like it!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

you are building a godsend of a mario maker mobile app

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

Looks cool. Who sees the ratings? Do players see the rating beforehand, and/or can creators find the rating for their own levels?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

Looks cool. Who sees the ratings? Do players see the rating beforehand, and/or can creators find the rating for their own levels?

The difficulty rating gets added as another item in the level "features", comments get a small icon once there's at least one. Likes are hidden for now. Filtering by difficulty is probably the next thing I'm going to add once there's at least a couple in the database, but creators can already find their own levels by searching their name.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lunar detritus posted:

The difficulty rating gets added as another item in the level "features", comments get a small icon once there's at least one. Likes are hidden for now. Filtering by difficulty is probably the next thing I'm going to add once there's at least a couple in the database, but creators can already find their own levels by searching their name.

This is literally turning into the definitive MM2 level list on the internet. It's practically worth sharing with non-goons at this point, as long as we keep the way to add levels secret I say... More people need to know about this super cool resource.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Lobster posted:

This is literally turning into the definitive MM2 level list on the internet. It's practically worth sharing with non-goons at this point, as long as we keep the way to add levels secret I say... More people need to know about this super cool resource.

Completely agree. I love it!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Duality of Choice Part I - KDW-P9R-8WG

Decided to make a new level. You can make progress going higher or lower. Constructive feedback is more than welcome.

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made a nighttime homage to Donut Plains 1-1 with a few secrets and twists.

Donut Plains After Dark
RK8-31D-PGG

Things get weird after dark, take an evening stroll in this tribute level.

Unsound Logic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 15, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tried my hand at a more thematic level, should hopefully be easier/less frustrating than my previous levels:

Dire Docks

T2V-GDY-GHG

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Random Stranger posted:

Hard disagree here. The 5-10% range is the "fun challenge" range for me. In addition, having any kind of puzzle element on your stage seems to drop it to this level or lower regardless of how difficult the stage itself is. Above 10% and I'm probably clearing it in one shot if I take my time or two or three if I'm running.

It's certainly possible that I'm wrong. But I sincerely believe that the vast majority of people want to play levels that can be cleared by a competent player within a few (say, half a dozen?) attempts. I loved Super Mario World growing up; very few levels took me more than a few tries even when I was 12.

Also, you might like to play well-designed, tough 5-10% clear rate levels, but most of the levels with a sub-10% clear rate aren't well-designed, tough levels. They have that clear rate because they are badly made.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1150574988178706432

Week 3's Jam theme is "You know, for kids". Make an easy level. One that kids can play. It doesn't have to be super easy, but I'll be trying to rate all of them by difficulty.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how do i unlock night levels/kuribo shoes

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Week 3's Jam theme is "You know, for kids". Make an easy level. One that kids can play. It doesn't have to be super easy, but I'll be trying to rate all of them by difficulty.

i should try and get some time with my toddler niece to do QA

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Stairmaster posted:

how do i unlock night levels/kuribo shoes

Night mode: Put in the angry sun and hold it to change it to the moon, the level will change to night. Then you can delete the moon and it will remain night.

Not sure about the shoe, but i think it replaces Yoshi and is only available in SMB and SMB3

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DalaranJ posted:

Don't believe DalaranJ's lies

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I already uploaded the course I would've wanted to make for this jam a couple days ago. That doesn't count, right?

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

acems posted:

I decided to take another stab at level design, this time looking to make something a little harder than before.

My two courses so far have focused on jumping off cannonballs or wigglers. I decided to combine the two. There's some tight jumps in here, but a number of power-ups sprinkled in, as well as a few 1ups.

Here's Cannonball Wiggle: 3CG-Y5S-69G.

Is this too antagonistic? I found it pretty doable, but I also made it.

I didn't think it was too hard. It did take me a few attempts before I cleared it, but it was doable. It was definitely the right length for a course like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does anyone know how to make a device that would drop an item to you from off screen after you hit 5 question blocks? Doesn't matter what order you hit them in.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure I'm actually capable of making kid friendly levels.

All of my levels have sub 20% clear rates. Most have sub 5% clear rates. And I've been trying to make them easier :cripes:

Try to make a level with higher than 80% or so clear rate. It can literally just be a goal and nothing else, and someone will still die somehow.

edit: you'd basically have to make a level that auto-completes itself while having so much happening on the screen at once that the player is frozen and unable to open a menu to skip, retry, or quit. I know there was a way to do this in MM1, but the Switch is better hardware.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 15, 2019

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I made a multiplayer race level, each player gets their own copy of the course to work through. Trying to make a checkpoint that each player could use and then direct them back to their course was really hard to figure out, so there are no checkpoints.

https://twitter.com/Cactrot/status/1150581206854934528

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cactrot posted:

I made a multiplayer race level, each player gets their own copy of the course to work through. Trying to make a checkpoint that each player could use and then direct them back to their course was really hard to figure out, so there are no checkpoints.

I would go down the same pipe as the person with the highest rating and try to shove them into hazards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cactrot posted:

Just give one lucky person the checkpoint

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Random Stranger posted:

I would go down the same pipe as the person with the highest rating and try to shove them into hazards.

I had thought about that, but you're just going to lose to someone else going full speed. So, great job playing yourself?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Random Stranger posted:

What does playing against C and D ranked people feel like? :colbert:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

alf_pogs posted:

HKL 56R 3KF - Outpost 31

The influence on this should be pretty blazingly obvious.

Very cool and atmospheric. I will sheepishly admit I still have not seen The Thing, but the resemblance is strong enough that I was able to correctly guess that's what you based your level on. It's possible to get stuck above the semisolid platform if you break the ceiling in the vertical room with the piranha plants, which I did by accident just jumping to shoot them.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Clear Condition Coin
M3X-S3K-5JG

Simple puzzle. Clear condition: 1 coin, but it's in a hidden block and if you jump anywhere other than under that block you die. There's a hint in the title and there's a hint room, so it isn't just a randomly placed hidden block though.

You have to jump in order to get to the door to the room where the block is, and the hint room just shows you where the block is. It's not much of a puzzle, and it doesn't follow its own rules.

Argue posted:

After weeks of being displeased with my attempts to recreate my Mario Maker 1 levels, I made an original one that I'm somewhat pleased with, although the timing was a bitch to tune so some parts might be a bit more unforgiving than I wanted.

I disagree with your level's title. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the bit after the second checkpoint with the thwomp except by dying to it a whole bunch and jumping to the exact right spot at the exact right moment with the foreknowledge of where the snake block is going to go, and even after dying to this multiple times and memorizing the snake block's path, I could not do this part without taking a hit. I died to the obstacle immediately after this because I can't know where the snake block is going to be until it's there and I'm dead from the thing I can only avoid by being in the right place at the right time with the foreknowledge of where and when this is. I don't know how much more level there is, but I do know there can't be any more checkpoints, so I give up.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Just as laggy as the other ranks, I imagine.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

I don't remember, it's been too long.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Very cool and atmospheric. I will sheepishly admit I still have not seen The Thing, but the resemblance is strong enough that I was able to correctly guess that's what you based your level on. It's possible to get stuck above the semisolid platform if you break the ceiling in the vertical room with the piranha plants, which I did by accident just jumping to shoot them.

thanks for checking it out! argh i hate that i can't iterate to fix all the little things that become obvious as soon as someone else plays it. oh well.

(also if you have a horror-movie bone in your body, you should definitely see it; it holds up extremely well.)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

New course where you run from thwomps in a flying haunted weather machine. Hard Difficulty

Creepy Sleet Fleet TN9 F00 MYG

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Rollersnake posted:

I disagree with your level's title. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the bit after the second checkpoint with the thwomp except by dying to it a whole bunch and jumping to the exact right spot at the exact right moment with the foreknowledge of where the snake block is going to go, and even after dying to this multiple times and memorizing the snake block's path, I could not do this part without taking a hit. I died to the obstacle immediately after this because I can't know where the snake block is going to be until it's there and I'm dead from the thing I can only avoid by being in the right place at the right time with the foreknowledge of where and when this is. I don't know how much more level there is, but I do know there can't be any more checkpoints, so I give up.

Thanks for the feedback; do you mean that the part with the thwomp itself is what kills you? That's a bit disappointing for me to hear since I didn't even intend for that to be a challenge; the only reason the thwomp and muncher were there at all was to prevent you from going through too early or too late and causing the two snake blocks to be out of sync. I didn't expect it to be a bottleneck in the level. :smith:

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Here are a few reviews of goon levels I played.

Outpost 31 - HKL 56R 3KF

I liked the theme, not sure what it is from. But it seems well thought out. Overall good level, love the use of the p lanterns in the dark area.

Mario's Aerial Heist: JGL-L8J-GLF

I couldn’t get into the second platform, there were a lot of bullet bills on the the screen on waiting on the moving cloud while being shot by the bullet bill for the big red turtle to move, by the time I was ready to jump I missed it, got killed by the turtle, then on another attempt got killed by a bullet bill. I didn’t beat this one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hopefully this ends up being easier than what I usually put out, tell the kids not to play my other levels.

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1150597744085495809

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is the deal with the giant Z made with tracks I keep seeing show up in levels?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What is the deal with the giant Z made with tracks I keep seeing show up in levels?

People reminding you the Z buttons exist and the next challenge will need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Phantasium posted:

People reminding you the Z buttons exist and the next challenge will need them.

wh.... what is z buttons