Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tsob posted:

Sharon's hypnosis does interact with Myung's story though. Sharon is basically Myung's desires made manifest, and if you re-wrote Sharon to affect the story by something other than song, then you'd need to re-write her relationship with Myung to reflect that. Which, to take hacking as an example, doesn't actually make sense, because there's no reason a digitized AI hacker would be a world famous personality or that someone would feel like a failure at hacking and instead of pursuing that passion anymore, manage a digital avatar based on themselves that becomes famous for it.

That's true, I just usually tend to think of it in more literal ways. As for hacking, it's Just A Thing that all AI are master hackers.

tsob posted:

On the other hand, 7 includes the "Jamming Birds", who are a group of idols created by the military to be a more controlled and marketable weapon in the vein of Fire Bomber; who can influence the battlefield with anima spiritia of their own, but fail immediately almost every time they appear because they're basically a soulless rip off of Fire Bomber.

To add to the humor, I believe it's stated somewhere, probably not in the show itself, that the Jamming Birds are capable of being stronger than Fire Bomber but they're a bunch of civilians in the backseat of fighter planes, not crazy rockstars who are so passionate about singing that they'll fly into a battlefield on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Same spoiler warning as usual.

Betterman - The one that's not a Brave show

Betterman tells the story of Aono Keita, who together with his childhood friend Sai Hinoki joins Akamatsu Industries in order to combat the brain disease Algernon. During their trsvels they would often be helped by the mysterious Lamia, the titular Betterman.

In the history of the Brave franchise Betterman is an odd duck. It doesn't follow the format structure or even share genre with any of the previous shows, which is presumably why it doesn't have "Brave" in its title. Rather than the episodic robot adventure shows the franchise has had so far, Betterman is a bizarre horror/mystery/comedy/action show clearly intended for older audiences. If not for the occasional reference to GaoGaiGar there would be no reason to assume this show had anything to do with the Brave franchise at all. So with that in mind I will try to judge this show on its own terms, rather than as part of the larger franchise.

As a show Betterman feels very disjointed, and nowhere is this as apparent as in our protagonist Keita. Though supposedly a horror show Keita is such a silly and cartoonish character that he sucks any tension from any scene he's in. Keita's the only character who does this so I can only assume it's intentional, but I don't understand why they would want to. There are effective moments of horror in the show, but crucially they're always the scenes Keita isn't in.
I also don't really understand why Keita is the protagonist in the first place. He's not smart enough to help solve any of the mysteries, and while he does pilot a robot together with Hinoki he's always overshadowed either by Betterman or the other robot pilot team. There was one episode quite early on that stated he had incredibly high piloting potential, and while he was amazing in that one episode it never came up ever again. In the latter half of the show I kept waiting for the moment he came into his own but it never happened. The final battle is fought entirely by Betterman and the final arc as a whole almost seems like it goes out of its way to make Keita irrelevant.

The mystery and action aspects clash against each other as well. The beginning of the show does a great job setting up a feeling of mystery and suspense, but around the middle they just fight monsters a lot and the mystery gets laid by the wayside, and even Algernon seems to get forgotten about. In fairness we are eventually given all the answers, but they all come very rapid-fire at the very end of the show and a couple of them are very out of left field and borderline nonsensical.

There were parts of the story I liked as well of course. Though it is somewhat disconnected from the rest of the plot the romance between Keita and Hinoki was quite sweet, though I will admit I am a complete sucker for romance. I also quite liked how nearly every character got a focus episode. I like the characters in Brave shows but with a couple exceptions none of them really have any hidden depths, what you see is very much what you get. It was nice how we got to learn more about all the characters in the cast, usually through them confronting some trauma from their past.

The show is consistently animated quite well, with some great action scenes. The biggest problem is how dark it is, and I don't mean tonally. This may partially be because I watched the show in summer so it was difficult to block all the light from outside, but more than once my screen was so dark I had difficulty telling what was happening.
I've never mentioned this before in any other review, but I think it necessary to say something about the voice acting (I watched the show in Japanese with subs, for the record). While most of the cast does a good job, there's one particular character who always has the exact same tone of voice, no matter what's happening. If this was intentional to show how she's detached or something it would have been effective, but the character is quite emotional so I can only assume the VA didn't really know how to emote.

Finally, I don't really understand why this show shares continuity with GaoGaiGar. While the occasional reference is neat if you catch it, it's never anything substantial and Betterman is so different from GaoGaiGar both in tone and themes I don't understand what the point of it is.

In conclusion Betterman isn't a bad show, but it is a thoroughly mediocre one. The various aspects of the show undercut each other rather than enhance, so it becomes less than the sum of its parts. On the other hand it does have some nice character-focused episodes and does a great job setting up a mystery, even if the conclusion left me unsatisfied. If you really want to experience everything related to GaoGaiGar I say go for it, but otherwise you're not really missing much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

There's some legit reasons why some people don't like idol culture besides following a trend set by Zorak or "deploying the cudgel of wokeness". There's a lot of gross stuff with regard to exploitation of girls and women who work as idols and the way it deliberately shapes the psychology of the super duper crazy idol fans(like the dudes who go crazy and start sending death threats when they find out their idol of choice was at some point touched by a man). I can totally understand why someone might be bothered by how pretty much every show involving idol culture treats it as a glorious pedestal of fame and happiness. It doesn't bother me enough to not watch Macross or whatever but it's a consideration for some people!

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to find anything in the entertainment industry that doesn't involve some kind of lovely exploitation at some level in today's world; anime has problems with VA/animator exploitation, video games have developer exploitation, TV shows and sports have huge wealth gap disparities, so on and so forth.

yeah but idol anime gave us cinderella girls season 2 so its better than mecha

and idk, people can talk about how 'even the most tonedeaf mecha anime at least pretends war is bad' but honestly the average war is bad mecha anime pays so little attention to the ways war is actually bad and the systems and structures that underpin war in the real world that its basically the same thing as idol anime. like gundam can tell you war is bad because shooting a dude is hosed up but it cant tell you anything about how capitalism uses war as a cudgel for its own ends. it's so disconnected from reality. war is basically just a touchstone, a vaguely bad thing that happens because groups of people don't understand each other and not because human understanding isn't a material concern for anyone with power.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 14, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is why g gundam is the only gundam anime with a real moral point

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't "capitalism is what drives war" like half the point of IBO?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Isn't "capitalism is what drives war" like half the point of IBO?
yes but it also had the unfortunate moral failing of being IBO

okay thats a bit harsh but IBO def. wasnt in a position to make coherent statements really, even if i respect them for taking some of the angles they did

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

I've thought about watching Betterman a few times, but something about it gave me the impression that it wasn't the kind of show I'd enjoy. Reading that made me think my impression was correct.

Are you going to continue doing show reviews now that you've gone through the official Brave series shows? I know there are a couple series that are basically Brave in all but name.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I've thought about watching Betterman a few times, but something about it gave me the impression that it wasn't the kind of show I'd enjoy. Reading that made me think my impression was correct.

Are you going to continue doing show reviews now that you've gone through the official Brave series shows? I know there are a couple series that are basically Brave in all but name.

Before that I'm gonna do Final and GGG vs. Betterman, and after that I'm not sure. Unless you know something I don't when people say a show is basically a Brave show they mean it's for kids and has a Brave-esque main robot, but none of those shows have the robots be sentient, which is kind of the cornerstone of Brave. With that said though I kinda wanna watch Dendoh but half of it is HKsubs and after Might Gaine idk if I can do that again, and I also probably wanna take a bit of a break.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

When I was a teenager I loved Betterman but I tried rewatching it a couple months back and couldn't get past the first ten or so episodes. I think you're spot on, it has a lot of good individual parts but when put together it's tonally inconsistent and imo kinda boring. I really wish they had ended up making that GGG/Betterman sequel series though, it would have been really interesting to see how they fit the two series together since they're really nothing alike.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Calvin Coolposts posted:

When I was a teenager I loved Betterman but I tried rewatching it a couple months back and couldn't get past the first ten or so episodes. I think you're spot on, it has a lot of good individual parts but when put together it's tonally inconsistent and imo kinda boring. I really wish they had ended up making that GGG/Betterman sequel series though, it would have been really interesting to see how they fit the two series together since they're really nothing alike.

They did my dude, albeit in book form. You can read it here: https://pyroxenescanning.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/pdfs/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

Before that I'm gonna do Final and GGG vs. Betterman, and after that I'm not sure. Unless you know something I don't when people say a show is basically a Brave show they mean it's for kids and has a Brave-esque main robot, but none of those shows have the robots be sentient, which is kind of the cornerstone of Brave. With that said though I kinda wanna watch Dendoh but half of it is HKsubs and after Might Gaine idk if I can do that again, and I also probably wanna take a bit of a break.

Dendoh was the big one I was thinking of, but there's also the Eldran series which I've been told were similar to the Brave series, or at least the early shows.

I think you're right that none of them feature sentient robots, aside from Dendoh's pokemon data weapons.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

They did my dude, albeit in book form. You can read it here: https://pyroxenescanning.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/pdfs/

Oh snap, thanks. I think I knew about this in the back of my head but had no idea somebody translated it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think I read that Godannar had a lot of the same producers and such that GGG had, but it is a very different beast.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I've seen Godannar. Pretty good show, but not really brave-like at all outside of a couple mech designs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Start branching out to other shows that happen to have the word Brave in the title, but treat them like the same franchise anyways.

You can get creative with this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry I will not watch Shield Hero.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You want Droyer to watch Kamen Rider, don’t you?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Idol of Braves Raideen...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have a soft spot for Betterman because it's a very unique show and I'm fond for the biology-based technobabble that the various mutations and powerups in the show pull off. Like in ep 02 everyone watches a recording of how Lamia pulled an Eva 01 on the baddie and this time the adults are horrified as Shinji was recalling the events prior because they can actually understand them and that makes Lamia even more terrifying. It's also a really creepy and oppressive show with a very dark aesthetic that you rarely see in anime ever since the 90's (I think the highest profile show that pulled it off was Lain). The scene where bugs come out of people's mouths and it turns out they're being controlled by the bugs will forever stay with me.

But yeah it's kind of a mess and any given 10 minutes could be super interesting or boring as hell and it has nothing to do with GGG so why does it share an universe? :iiam:

It's not even in any good SRW games (Compact 3 is a poo poo game that doesn't ever give you Lamia as an unit) so if you like watching shows to experience them in SRW with foreknowledge you're not really missing out on anything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:allears:

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I just finished shin mazinger and now I understand why everyone was mad it never got a sequel.

Messy show but it had style and panache even when you could tell it was straining against it's budget.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I have a soft spot for Betterman because it's a very unique show and I'm fond for the biology-based technobabble that the various mutations and powerups in the show pull off. Like in ep 02 everyone watches a recording of how Lamia pulled an Eva 01 on the baddie and this time the adults are horrified as Shinji was recalling the events prior because they can actually understand them and that makes Lamia even more terrifying. It's also a really creepy and oppressive show with a very dark aesthetic that you rarely see in anime ever since the 90's (I think the highest profile show that pulled it off was Lain). The scene where bugs come out of people's mouths and it turns out they're being controlled by the bugs will forever stay with me.

But yeah it's kind of a mess and any given 10 minutes could be super interesting or boring as hell and it has nothing to do with GGG so why does it share an universe? :iiam:

It's not even in any good SRW games (Compact 3 is a poo poo game that doesn't ever give you Lamia as an unit) so if you like watching shows to experience them in SRW with foreknowledge you're not really missing out on anything.

I appreciate how unsentimental the show could be, like how Keita and Hinoki are copilot's not because of some inherent compatibility but because Keita was brain damaged as a child. Or how Betterman keeps Hinoki alive not because he's in tje body of her brother but because she has one of the Forte seeds.

The connections are flimsy but they're there, like Mic Sounders' abilities operate on the same principles as one of the Betterman forms for instance

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I just finished shin mazinger and now I understand why everyone was mad it never got a sequel.

Messy show but it had style and panache even when you could tell it was straining against it's budget.

Never getting Shin Great Mazinger will always sadden me, but at least Super Robot Wars took the effort to fix that as it could and I'm grateful for it...even if I haven't actually played V or X.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Relevant to prior discussion of 'squat' mecha:

https://twitter.com/240eukrante/status/1154003103978364933

This is so close! Just a little too wide.

Part of my leaning this way design-wise is that square robots pack better and have more consistent angular momentum in space and stuff.

It's also just goddamn adorable.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 24, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That's Gundam fanart, in case anyone was curious - it's a Hamma Hamma with the proportions of a Byarlant.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Never getting Shin Great Mazinger will always sadden me, but at least Super Robot Wars took the effort to fix that as it could and I'm grateful for it...even if I haven't actually played V or X.

Kanjite knight should be in every srw game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kingtheninja posted:

Mazin Kenzan should be in every srw game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GaoGaiGar Final - The Final (animated) One

GaoGaiGar Final is the continuation of the mythology regarding Shishioh Gai, chronicling his and 3G's battle with the 11 Planetary Masters of Sol. Unlike the original GaoGaiGar, in which Gai and Amami Mamoru shared the protagonist spot fairly equally, Gai is clearly the star of the show this time. Final does introduce a new character* however, René Kerdif-Shishioh, who functions as the show's deutagonist.

Despite being just an eight episode OVA it surprised me how closely Final followed the standard Brave formula, and particularly the formula GaoGaiGar used. The protagonist gets beaten about halfway through when the real villains show up, get replaced for a while (by the same robot no less!) and then later returns with an upgrade. Final gets bonus points though since Genesic wasn't underwhelming at all, unlike Star GaoGaiGar.

This almost goes without saying, but as an OVA sequel to a TV show that already looked pretty good, Final looks absolutely fantastic throughout. The animation is smooth and vivid without the blatant reuse of footage that plagued Gaigaigar. The action choreography is consistently on point, both robot and human (which there is surprisingly much of). It did strike me though how incredibly horny the show was. This shouldn't be surprising I suppose, GaoGaiGar had noticeably more fanservice than previous Brave shows and Betterman stepped it up even more, so I guess this is the logical conclusion. It's still almost impressive though how any time there's a woman on screen, whether human or robot, the show immediately wants to turn the viewer on.

The story has its ups and downs. While I called Gaogaigar "The Courage One" it isn't really until Final they really go all in on it. At parts it feels like every third word that comes out of the characters' mouths is "courage". Speaking of, I enjoyed how the villains were cowards, so that they serve as a thematic counterpart to the Braves.
My favorite part in the whole show was immediately after Gai got beaten halfway through, and Mikoto became the main driving force of the plot. While I really like Mikoto, all she ever did for the majority of GaoGaiGar was smash that like button the Final Fusion Program Drive, so it was really nice seeing her have a more proactive role, however brief.
I was impressed by the extent to which the show referenced earlier material in the franchise. Gaogaigar obviously and a couple Betterman characters and concepts showed up briefly, but they went even more obscure than that. Characters from sidestory manga and the ps1 videogame made blink and you'll miss it cameos and did you know Papillon Noir originally appeared in a Betterman drama CD? There were even a couple references I didn't know, presumably from either untranslated novels or audio dramas.

On the other hand, I had some problems as well. It was a really unnecessary retcon to have Galeon's original programming be to defeat the Sol Masters, and there was no attempt whatsoever to reconcile it with the backstory established in the TV show. It was also pretty lame how out of the 11 Sol Masters only 4 had a speaking role and over half of them were literally just a fight, with no personality whatsoever. Also for supposedly being counterparts to the Braves the similarities were only ever skin deep, and in one case not even that (how is P-vater in any way similar to Choryujin?). I will give them props though for not doing the obvious thing and have the ringleader be either Gai's or Mamoru's counterpart.
I felt Kouryu and Anryu kind of got a raw deal. While René herself had a pretty neat arc going from a female Gai-equivalent to her own thing, the new robots didn't really get much focus. That is to say, they got about as much focus as the other robot characters, but since they didn't have a 50-episode TV show's worth of appearances I kind of expected more of a focus on them.
The various fights in the final episode, while really cool from a fight and choreography standpoint, got kind of tiring from a story standpoint. They all seemingly won, then they all seemingly lost, then they all seemingly won again. After the first couple fights I got the formula and I wish they had just switched it up a bit.

In summary however, Gaogaigar Final is really fantastic. I often worry I come off as more negative than I intend in these reviews but make no mistake: Final is really really good, though I suspect if you're reading this you probably don't need me to tell you that. The Action and animation is amazing, the story though it has its flaws did tug on my heartstrings more than once, and honestly it's just really nice to see all these characters again. If you've seen GaoGaiGar you owe it to yourself to watch Final, but yet again I expect I'm preaching to the choir

*She actually first appeared in Lion Reine, a novel that hasn't been translated.

BONUS - GaoGaiGar Final Grand Glorious Gathering

Partially out of interest to see if there was any interesting new footage in it, and partially just so I could put it in this review i watched GGGFGGG as well. Unfortunately the new stuff is not interesting whatsoever, and is comprised entirely of Betterman Lamia talking to people telepathically from inside a cocoon after the events of Betterman. The only vaguely interesting thing that happens is at the very end he breaks out of the cocoon and talks about taking action, setting up what was then Project Z. Other than that it's what you'd expect of a TV recut of an OVA: wonky pacing and additional flashbacks to and explanations of the previous shows to pad out screentime. If you however for some reason decide to watch it anyways something needs to be said about the translation: While it at first appeared acceptable as soon as we got to a scene that wasn't in Final originally it became obvious the translator had no idea what was being said and was just making stuff up. A couple well-known errors later on confirmed what I had suspected: The translator had just copied the old (and less good) fansub of Final and probably didn't know Japanese at all. Unlike Final, Grand Glorious Gathering is not worth watching.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grand Glorious Gathering did have one thing going for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fW2IK3lnt4

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure Clawshrimpy translated Grand Glorious Gathering. Yes, that Clawshrimpy. No, he doesn't speak Japanese. And yes, I'm positive I saw a tweet from him that he was going to do exactly what you mentioned, and transpose subs from Final to make Grand Glorious Gathering.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh Clawshrimpy.

Say what you will about him (And there’s a lot) but that dude is committed.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was only remotely aware of GaoGaiGar because of Kajetokun, the guy who made the Over 9000 meme, and through that Noboyuki Hiyama in general.

I forget which series I ended up watching five or six episodes of, but I didn't get too deep. The stores Hiyama tells about recording for this show are the best, like breaking a few mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrp7dQjgVK8

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ranzear posted:

I was only remotely aware of GaoGaiGar because of Kajetokun, the guy who made the Over 9000 meme, and through that Noboyuki Hiyama in general.

I forget which series I ended up watching five or six episodes of, but I didn't get too deep. The stores Hiyama tells about recording for this show are the best, like breaking a few mics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrp7dQjgVK8

I found out abkutbit the same way, then I saw the Final op and watched Final before watching main GGG because I couldn't find it on da-anime.org

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1156930048068165633

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

L
M
A
I

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

""Young and lean at age 20, Mamoru in a Dive Suit was chiseled like a statue of some god"

I'm glad Mamoru is canonically super hot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm 32 episodes into Xabungle and I have to say after a fairly strong first cour or so, this show started dragging massively once Timp "died". I'm particularly getting annoyed at how the formula of "[Insert Character Here] gets mad over some nonsense and runs away from the Iron Gear" has been repeated like, four or five times already by this point in the show.

The overall story has started picking up a bit with the introduction of the Salt people though and Elchi getting brainwashed so hopefully more comes of it.

Also Jiron's midseason upgrade is tremendously ugly.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

For some reason my goddamned brain has latched onto Macross 7's music and I've been listening to it for the past week.
I think I've realized that 7 is my favorite. For a long time Plus was my favorite; I love Plus and DYRL but 7 just encapsulates soooooo much of what I love about Macross.

...And now I need to buy a Fire Bomber concert poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Queadlunn posted:

For some reason my goddamned brain has latched onto Macross 7's music and I've been listening to it for the past week.

I'm guessing that's because Macross 7's music is good. Even people who don't like the show much tend to have good things to say about it.

Speaking of good, I just watched the Baldios movie and... it is not that.

I mean, I get why. Compressing a 39 episode tv show into two hours means the pacing is going to be shot to hell unless you've really been wasting that time or your editor is an unmatched genius. But the movie just bounces around without letting anything breathe properly. (But there's plenty of time to just have Marin stare at the ocean, because that character trait wasn't clear the first two times it was brought up. Also, can't speed up the combination sequences!) In what feels like just hours in the story, or at most a couple days, we go from aliens appearing to them having had enough losses to institute draconian new policies (which would only harm morale and provide no strategic benefits, but fanatical dictatorships and horrible ideas go together naturally enough).

The war doesn't have a rhythm. It's just "30 million soldiers dead" "We took over part of Earth that has nukes I guess?" and scenes of people in the streets getting laser murdered.

One small thing a lot of Gundam does is spend a few moments with random civilians before they start dying. Just a quick shot, not so long as to feel indulgent. Just "These faceless masses were people, with hopes and dreams. And now they're dead. So it goes."

Baldios, at least in movie form, doesn't have Tomino and Yasuhiko's eye for tragedy. It goes in for picture on the desk bathos halfway in after every previous laser murder was just laser murder. Not saying Gundam is entirely above that, or that it always lands things even when it does but that woman who gets hit by the shell casing in F91, darkly amusing as it might be, is still better tragedy than some of the major deaths in Baldios. (And yeah, I know, it would feel different with the full series for buildup, but the full series isn't streaming, so

I will say that it made me laugh a couple times. Just... maybe not on purpose.

The scientists cheering that they've solved all their problems just before getting lasered was pinpoint perfect comic timing, as was Aphrodia apparently dying from getting hit by a giant rock from space. (Her not dying there seems like something out of a comedy except, you know, not played for laughs.) And when it kept cutting back to the rest of the team as Marin did his commando raid, it almost felt like if a James Bond chase scene was cutting away to Hank and buddies drinking by the wall and asking when that British rear end in a top hat was coming back with more beer.

So, yeah. The characters were thin as reeds, the tragedy was maudlin, the only comedy was unintentional, and the mech fights, what few there were, were dull.

But the ending, right? That's the big draw!

It was Earth. And nobody figured it out earlier, because nobody in this show asks intelligent questions. Even a basic blood test to figure out things that might kill Marin would draw some "Hey, wait a minute, this is odd...", and I'd think even with the cycle of hatred going full speed, there'd be people going "But, seriously, how do we NOT go into the time loop of death?"

Of course, no one can stop it. It's just a grim death cycle where nothing gets better, the villain's level of dead is questionable (And killing him dooms millions of innocent people, so that's fun), and the hero's taken the other main villain to Earth (where everyone else reasonable wants to draw and quarter her) without her moving past hating him.

Even in robot anime where hate is stronger than love, there's usually at least a feeling that you can spit in some bastard's eye before you die.

All in all, if the movie reflects the show, I can see why it got fewer episodes than Ideon. Some interesting concepts, and the grim tone at the end (without any of the usual relief) was different, but overall, it's not something I'd go out of my way to watch again.

Edit: Also, geeze. The gender politics stuff here... not great!

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 27, 2019