Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

How's everybody doing today
bloated and hungover from yesterday's 13th Age session/associated gluttony and drug abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

It's a large scale game that (at least the one I played at Gencon) was basically a larp set during the Cold War. This one is set in the Vampire the Masquerade setting. Two teams each split in a diplomacy and a pvp subgroup. And then there's mechanics? I dunno. But I'm not doing much else today and they have food and drinks included in my 7.50 cover charge so why not

Trip report: it was a lot of fun. We had 15 show up so we split into 5 teams of 3. There were 4 stations that were basically minigames.

1) The Council: the person here deal with events which are played by each team and then voted on. These are round altering things (attacks and assassination attempts gain 2 strength, all recruiting doubles the amount you get, the most powerful team was hacked and loses money, etc) and each player gets a number of votes equal to their power.

2) The Market: this is where faction upgrades are bought. They can be new things for your order deck, levels for the players making them more powerful and adding new abilities to their loadout, buying tiddlywinks that do different things in different zones

3) The Cityscape: this is an area control game where you setup the ability to gain power, units, money, and assassinate other players which levels them down

4) The I Forget the Name of: this is where you play orders that correspond to tiles in the cityscape. In order to do anything in the cityscape you have to have the cards and actions to do it. You start with a basic deck that has an attack, defend, assassinate and ways to gain units and money

For our team I handled spots 3 and 4 where I did fantastic. The city was 12 hexes and I owned 7 of them. Our team started out swinging by attacking a guy who came as us and then assassinating one of their player pieces. And as I fought my way across the board everyone except one team retreated into the back 5 zones. So we have the most power for the majority of the game. The team that didn't retreat was a human whose gimmick was they wanted to be vampires.

Sadly despite me wrecking everyone in the city we came in third because our council person hosed us and wasn't able to pass more events than any other team, even though we had the most voting power and the ability to halve another teams vote.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azran posted:

he decoupled the Constitution-equivalent from Strength for some weird reason.
Nooooo

Azran posted:

He also went from 4 scores to 8
Oh that's alright then.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Pipe broke in my basement, ruining about three tables worth of in-progress terrain for a skirmish game I’m writing and doing my first large-scale playtest/demo for in about a month. Lost a good amount of other basement stuff, but that’s the tradgame related portion.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FirstAidKite posted:

Real good. Had friends over to play board games and BBQ, had a real good time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Nooooo

Oh that's alright then.
OK, so it looks like this is Punkapocalyptic. Seems Meats (constitution) is pretty much entirely reactive, as is Guts unless you're psychic. So that's two tax stats out of 8, which is not great. Also if you thought SotDL looked 3edgy5you then hoo boy.

Presumably there's no news on Free Companies of Four Towers Shadow of the Mad Wizard because he keeps getting swears and poop all over it and remembering that no this is the non swears and poop game and having to start from scratch.

e: Oh heck

quote:

Shadow of the Last Gate and Abaddon
In addition to Shadow of the Mad Wizard, I’m building two more games to be powered by the Demon Lord engine. These are both in planning stages, so I don’t have much to report other than the first is a modern game in which you and your friends play members of a secret society of magicians fighting against the Demon Lord, while the second is a sci-fi horror game that sees you and your friends fighting to stay alive in a generation ship lost to the Void and now overrun with demons.
please don't make this swears and poop I want this so bad in non swears and poop format

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 14, 2019

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Megagames are amazing, they basically sit in a nexus between larps, board games, and improv strategy and when they work they're amazing. Hard to design since they can be really prone to going slow or bad player experience if you're not paying attention to that.

The best one I've played recently was a Netrunner one called The Color of Credits - it had 6 teams, three corporations and three hacker factions, and each round you were taking named characters to various minigame tables to work on your stack of agendas. Each table was asymmetric and you'd skip some tables due to lack of players, but you could really mix things up by suddenly having several corporations showing up at the underworld table or hacker groups showing up at the property investment map.

The turns when 3 hacker groups all show up at the network table gunning for one corporation were hilarious. Paying people off to not come after you was routine.

The smartest thing was that victory wasn't open-ended points - each team had 10 points of agendas requiring different conditions / expenses / actions and providing different abilities, and those were the only VPs available, so victory was about tightly focusing on getting to your team's goals first.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

Roommate saw another centipede in the bathroom. She closed the door with the light on and stuffed bags under the door so it couldn't get into the apt. When I woke up this morning I went looking for it but didn't see it.

Maybe this'll get her to clean her poo poo up.
How big are we talking here? Centipedes here are pretty small but I understand they can be huge and venomous in other countries.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

How big are we talking here? Centipedes here are pretty small but I understand they can be huge and venomous in other countries.
To hear her tell it, these are its stats.

Realistically, it was probably as big as the last nightmarishly big one we saw which was like 3-4" long and was executed via vacuum clearer hose.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Splicer posted:

please don't make this swears and poop I want this so bad in non swears and poop format

Is it so hard to have a version of the SotDL without all the poop.

I really want to like the system but I'm also not 15 anymore and that kind of aesthetic doesn't do it for me. It's so juvenile, and not in a fun He-Man and the Masters of the Universe way either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

xiw posted:

Megagames are amazing, they basically sit in a nexus between larps, board games, and improv strategy and when they work they're amazing. Hard to design since they can be really prone to going slow or bad player experience if you're not paying attention to that.

The best one I've played recently was a Netrunner one called The Color of Credits - it had 6 teams, three corporations and three hacker factions, and each round you were taking named characters to various minigame tables to work on your stack of agendas. Each table was asymmetric and you'd skip some tables due to lack of players, but you could really mix things up by suddenly having several corporations showing up at the underworld table or hacker groups showing up at the property investment map.

The turns when 3 hacker groups all show up at the network table gunning for one corporation were hilarious. Paying people off to not come after you was routine.

The smartest thing was that victory wasn't open-ended points - each team had 10 points of agendas requiring different conditions / expenses / actions and providing different abilities, and those were the only VPs available, so victory was about tightly focusing on getting to your team's goals first.

The only other one I tried was a NSDM game as Gencon and I hated it. This was much more my jam

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Slimnoid posted:

Is it so hard to have a version of the SotDL without all the poop.

I really want to like the system but I'm also not 15 anymore and that kind of aesthetic doesn't do it for me. It's so juvenile, and not in a fun He-Man and the Masters of the Universe way either.

i didnt notice that much swears and poop in sotdl apart from on some of the mutation/monster tables where it was like 'you got so corrupt your penis hurty' or 'the golem is made of cum'

maybe i didnt read closely enough

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a spell called Hateful Defecation (IIRC, unsure on the adjective), another called Hole of Glory, an adventure where you exit a bloated dragon corpse through its anus, a few where unnatural pregnancies are presented as whacky body horror. I could go on.

Thankfully Schwalb is working on a non-juvenile version of the same system, which has an awfully generic name I can't recall. "Tower of the Mad Wizard" or something like that? There's also a normie hack made by Serf which is cool, good and heavily recommended.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I'm waiting for The Forest Hymn & Picnic to get released, cause that one is going to be amazing, as is Lancer

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Azran posted:

There's a spell called Hateful Defecation (IIRC, unsure on the adjective), another called Hole of Glory, an adventure where you exit a bloated dragon corpse through its anus, a few where unnatural pregnancies are presented as whacky body horror. I could go on.

Thankfully Schwalb is working on a non-juvenile version of the same system, which has an awfully generic name I can't recall. "Tower of the Mad Wizard" or something like that? There's also a normie hack made by Serf which is cool, good and heavily recommended.

o i didnt read any of the adventures

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

FirstAidKite posted:

Had a very busy Sunday and just finished my latest FATAL & Friends write-up, so I'm feeling quite accomplished :nyoron:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If you don’t need the setting and adventure stuff, here’s all you really need to do to make SotDL less dark and poopy:

- Remove the Forbidden tradition.
- Call some of the enemies a different name/describe them differently.
- Let players make up their own character backgrounds and just use the tables for inspiration.
- Ignore a few results on the Interesting Things table.
- (Optional) remove Corruption entirely and change Insanity into Stress or something similar.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm going to work on a normie hack of shadow of the mad wizard - it will add the poop back in. Now featuring friendlier poop spells, like merciful defecation.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the fact you have to roll on those tables does suck rear end. especially with one of the options being 'you died'.

i think a lot of the forbidden tradition spells are cool, but having to sacrifice a living creature to get your spellcasts back is very stupid, especially as a lot of them arent very powerful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

bloated and hungover from yesterday's 13th Age session/associated gluttony and drug abuse

Gas-X

Splicer posted:

Real good. Had friends over to play board games and BBQ, had a real good time.

What kinda bbq, chicken, ribs, pork, something else?

Libertad! posted:

Had a very busy Sunday and just finished my latest FATAL & Friends write-up, so I'm feeling quite accomplished :nyoron:

Congrats! I was thinking of starting a FATAL & Friends writeup of that my little pony tails of equestria pen & paper game a while back but unfortunately some poo poo happened and my fiancee lost all of her rulebooks so I wouldn't be able to write anything up about them. Plus I'm just bad at committing to things so chances are I'd make maybe one or two posts and then never go back.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FirstAidKite posted:

What kinda bbq, chicken, ribs, pork, something else?
Made a bunch of lamb masala burgers and baked garlic and sage mushrooms in the ashes.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

o i didnt read any of the adventures
It's the whole book aesthetic. It's very gross out comedy.

Nickoten posted:

If you don’t need the setting and adventure stuff, here’s all you really need to do to make SotDL less dark and poopy:

- Remove the Forbidden tradition.
- Call some of the enemies a different name/describe them differently.
- Let players make up their own character backgrounds and just use the tables for inspiration.
- Ignore a few results on the Interesting Things table.
- (Optional) remove Corruption entirely and change Insanity into Stress or something similar.
Corruption is a great example. Corruption itself is a fine mechanic: if you start doing evil stuff it gets harder to talk to people, you increase your odds of dying, and start picking up creepy marks of your evil (it's done better in WFRP3 though...). But the creepy marks table is a mix of "you cast no shadow" (neat) and "you randomly puke out maggots" (cringey). And that's the issue. You can't houserule out cringe unless you ban your players from reading the book and that makes it a real hard sell as a D&D alternative.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 15, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Splicer posted:

Made a bunch of lamb masala burgers and baked garlic and sage mushrooms in the ashes.

It's the whole book aesthetic. It's very gross out comedy.

Corruption is a great example. Corruption itself is a fine mechanic: if you start doing evil stuff it gets harder to talk to people, you increase your odds of dying, and start picking up creepy marks of your evil (it's done better in WFRP3 though...). But the creepy marks table is a mix of "you cast no shadow" (neat) and "you randomly puke out maggots" (cringey). And that's the issue. It's so cringey. And "cringey" makes it such harder sell as a D&D alternative.

yeah rereading it there's a grossout option on nearly every table. i kind of skipped over the corruption stuff because it seemed very similar to the corruption tables in Heroes of Horror from 3e, or the various types of corruption in Pathfinder. Some of the grossout spells are taken from the Book of Vile Darkness too i think, like the one that makes your dick/pussy drop off. The bright side to being the victim of that spell is it makes you immune to the other spell that makes you nut so hard you fall over:

quote:

ECSTASY ENCHANTMENT ATTACK 1
Target One living creature with
functional sexual organs within
short range
Feelings of intense physical pleasure
wash over the target. Make an Intellect
attack roll against the target’s Will.
On a success, the target becomes
dazed for 1 round and slowed for 1
round after.
Attack Roll 20+ The target also
falls prone.

i did start looking at the SotDL stuff immediately after checking out Exalted for the first time, so i think the grossness in sotdl came off as quaint and endearing by comparison.

Serf
May 5, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the fact you have to roll on those tables does suck rear end. especially with one of the options being 'you died'.

i think a lot of the forbidden tradition spells are cool, but having to sacrifice a living creature to get your spellcasts back is very stupid, especially as a lot of them arent very powerful.

you don't actually have to roll on the tables. you're allowed to pick or come up with your own thing. before i ran sotdl i honestly thought people would largely ignore the tables but players love that poo poo. its cool, but it does make homebrewing new ancestries a pain in the rear end since i feel obliged to include tables

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Serf posted:

you don't actually have to roll on the tables. you're allowed to pick or come up with your own thing. before i ran sotdl i honestly thought people would largely ignore the tables but players love that poo poo. its cool, but it does make homebrewing new ancestries a pain in the rear end since i feel obliged to include tables

This was also my experience; most of my players wanted to roll on the tables. I just made sure to tell them they didn’t have to in case a result said they cast a poop shadow or had dicks for nipples or something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

Nickoten posted:

This was also my experience; most of my players wanted to roll on the tables. I just made sure to tell them they didn’t have to in case a result said they cast a poop shadow or had dicks for nipples or something.
Of course they, and I, would want to roll on tables with different weird results on them. (Optional) Randomisation is fun! It's not the format that's the issue, it's the contents.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

Of course they, and I, would want to roll on tables with different weird results on them. (Optional) Randomisation is fun! It's not the format that's the issue, it's the contents.

it was just an interesting experience for me because i hadn't done anything involving an rpg with random character creation tables before, so i looked at them and thought "well surely no one wants to have their character defined by a random table." it was an actual shock to see that people liked it, and once i got into making my own i did find it a lot of fun to do

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

it was just an interesting experience for me because i hadn't done anything involving an rpg with random character creation tables before, so i looked at them and thought "well surely no one wants to have their character defined by a random table." it was an actual shock to see that people liked it, and once i got into making my own i did find it a lot of fun to do

Splicer posted:

It's an automatic implementation of Reign's in-book random roll system. Those numbers are a drop-in playable Reign character. The game uses an Xd10 find matches resolution system. Random character generation, if you want to do that, is rolling 11d10, separating out the matches, and consulting a table (singles get you weird stuff). So e.g. 2x8 is you rolled 2 8s, 8s are kind of the military service number and 2x8 specifically is squad leader:
code:
[b]2x8 Squad Leader
Command 1[/b]

Fight 1  Inspire 2
Ride 1   Tactics 1
Each result gives you 5 points of stuff per die, e.g here we get command (an ability score, costs 5 points) and 5 skills (one point each) so if you added up the cost to buy squad leader's components individually they'd come to 10, 5 per die. So you can build a standard guy completely from scratch for 55 points, or roll 11 dice and take a randomly generated 55 point gal compete with backstory, or roll your dice and tweak it a bit to emphasise the bits you like it doesn't matter they're all worth the same points!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can't find the japanese trpg thread but Kamiya Ryo is making an ERP module for Call of Cthulhu and the cover is really what I expected it to be

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Splicer posted:

For sure! The reason I bring it up is just that if you want to run non poopy SotDL you gotta warn the players that the tables are biased to produce dark/poopy fantasy results.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

Random tables are a lot of fun and often produce surprising results. There's a reason the OSR is so big on them, if done well they can create really good, surprising gameplay. There's even an artificial GM out there that uses random tables for you to play against, inspired by how way back when people would just roll up random dungeons to take their characters through.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I remember running a short WFRP2e game with full random chargen where a few of the players had a good time because they ended up playing character types they wouldn't have otherwise done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I remember running a short WFRP2e game with full random chargen where a few of the players had a good time because they ended up playing character types they wouldn't have otherwise done.

It largely works in WFRP because it really only matters when starting out. Depending on the campaign I either remove all the soldier-y classes or all the non-soldier-y classes from the list though, so parties are more balanced for combat capabilities at the beginning.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Wondering if there's a system development thread floating around. I have a dice mechanic I wouldn't mind fleshing out into a full blown fantasy heartbreaker, and I'm not sure exactly where I could post about it to get feedback and hammer it into a workable system

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aniodia posted:

Wondering if there's a system development thread floating around. I have a dice mechanic I wouldn't mind fleshing out into a full blown fantasy heartbreaker, and I'm not sure exactly where I could post about it to get feedback and hammer it into a workable system
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581530

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Cool, appreciate the link.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

one thing i liked in shadow of the demon lord is they just straight up added the Troglodytes from Bone Tomahawk as a race. that movie whipped rear end.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think I broke my group (in the best possible way). We played paranoia last week and they had a blast, even the guy who ordinarily has problems with decision paralysis got into it and did something super clever - died on purpose knocking the others out, so then he could arrive with his clone and plant evidence.

It was so good one of the players is bringing in a complete newb just to have some fun with the system. Good stuff.

On a less fun note, anyone have experience with using 13th age escalation dice in 5e? I doubt I could convince entire tables to change the system now that they're comfy in 5e, but I was considering adding the gimmick in the games I run for boss battles at first, maybe expanding it if the players enjoy it

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there a blades in the dark thread? I'm 2 scores in to a game now and it's the best new rpg I've played for a long time.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 16, 2019

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Is there a blades in the dark thread? I'm 2 scores in to a game now and it's the best new rpg I've played for a long time.

Yep! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3713405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
[Tell] me about how to run a TTRPG at a con.

Specifically, I want to run one or more at a con next year. It’s a relatively small con with a board game focus, so format and any ticketing or anything would be on me.