Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laylow
Jan 24, 2008
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
1V4-DPR-WFG Wallys Jungle Gym

a SMW forest level with a climbing theme, lots of ups and downs and some secrets. one thing I really like about the forest theme is the water is really forgiving for crazy jump setups, since you can put a reset door down there and not have it be insta death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

DalaranJ posted:

I finally finished my Jam level. It's a remake of a level I made for Super Mario Maker. It's not as easy as my other levels.

Speaking of courses not getting any views.

"One weird block spawning trick, nongoons hate it!"

I gave this level a shot - I really wanted to complete it, but I got "pinched" by the janky-ships too many times and I wanna go to bed. I'll probably give it another shot in the AM when I'm fresher.

The theming and design seems pretty air-tight to me, I think the problems are more a victim of the general "Mario-Maker-weirdness" than anything else. Nice work!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh yeah, forgot to post this level I finished.

Hellfire Honeycombs: 5J6-LGK-PQF

Bowser's castle has long been abandoned, but some busy bees have taken up residence and made it into one hot hive. Can you survive the swarm of bees flying across the blistering river of spicy honey?

Had some fun with red POW blocks designing this stage to make some neat little traps. Tried to simulate the feeling of 'stirring the hornet's nest' and having bees pop up suddenly and angrily.

Phantasium posted:

People reminding you the Z buttons exist and the next challenge will need them.

That's a much more reasonable explanation than what I expected.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Intl Cron posted:

I gave this level a shot - I really wanted to complete it, but I got "pinched" by the janky-ships too many times and I wanna go to bed. I'll probably give it another shot in the AM when I'm fresher.

The theming and design seems pretty air-tight to me, I think the problems are more a victim of the general "Mario-Maker-weirdness" than anything else. Nice work!

Exactly. I understand where the pinch points are but there's no way remove them without diluting the 'joke' of the level, so I'm not going to do it.

The safest places to stand are on the two parts that are two blocks tall.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

wh.... what is z buttons

ZL and ZR aka L2 and R2

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Bowser's castle has long been abandoned, but some busy bees have taken up residence and made it into one hot hive. Can you survive the swarm of bees flying across the blistering river of spicy honey?

Had some fun with red POW blocks designing this stage to make some neat little traps. Tried to simulate the feeling of 'stirring the hornet's nest' and having bees pop up suddenly and angrily.

this looks really visually nice and fun, keen to finish work and play it

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Argue posted:

Thanks for the feedback; do you mean that the part with the thwomp itself is what kills you? That's a bit disappointing for me to hear since I didn't even intend for that to be a challenge; the only reason the thwomp and muncher were there at all was to prevent you from going through too early or too late and causing the two snake blocks to be out of sync. I didn't expect it to be a bottleneck in the level. :smith:

Yes, that exact spot. I finally did figure out you're supposed to jump on the end of the snake block as it's moving upward at a certain point to avoid getting hit by the fireballs, but it's really unclear, and the timing is really tight too. There's a lot to process at that part, and keep in mind for someone who hasn't played the level it's not clear why the thwomp is there, what will make it go away, and when it will go away. It's a whole lot of "guess what the level designer had in mind," and the snake block, being a moving platform on a track only the designer can see, is already this irrespective of any other factors.

Also, sorry for getting a bit cranky with you in my criticism. I kinda picked your level without reading the title or looking closely at the screenshot, and I have it out for snake block levels in general—I don't even like the official ones from Super Mario World, and I dunno if I'll ever play a level that changes my mind about them.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
The Bunny Slope
Td3-0nw-llg

I just submitted this for the Jam. It's quick and dirty, with some platforming challenges that are a good fit for kids.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Rollersnake posted:

...I have it out for snake block levels in general—I don't even like the official ones from Super Mario World, and I dunno if I'll ever play a level that changes my mind about them.

Rollersnake posted:

ROLLERSNAKE posted:

:thunk:

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

These sort of stages that find a clever gimmick and iterate on it all the way up to boss fight and end goal grab are like catnip to me. I absolutely loved it.

Much appreciated, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

The irony is not lost on me, so I propose we all start referring to them as bendy turd blocks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Internet Kraken posted:

The use of the pipes there is very clever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

alf_pogs posted:

this looks really visually nice and fun, keen to finish work and play it

Macaluso posted:

The use of the pipes there is very clever

Yeah well its another level that got bombed with boos and has a loving 1% clearrate so I'm probably gonna delete it :bang:

Just once I'd like to design a level that doesn't piss people off horribly but that is apparently beyond me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I thought it was good! There was one part toward the end where I brought a POW block into a short vertical room where you're supposed to ground pound some other POW blocks and poo poo got weird and basically I couldn't get out, but overall I thought it was really creative and not frustrating at all.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip posted:

New level!

Toad's Souls
9DH-6CJ-MQG
Difficulty: Hard

I wanted to make something Souls-inspired, but not by trying to recreate anything specific from the games. I just tried to go for a general Souls-like level structure and theme to the degree that that's possible in a Mario game, and I incorporated some common elements like bonfires.

It's a large level that requires a little bit of exploration with lots of enemy encounters. I tried to take my time on this one and held off on uploading it for a couple days, which really helped to come up with better solutions to some problems I ran into. It's challenging but ended up feeling pretty good to play imo!

Okay I updated this to fix the issue with the annoying checkpoint, new code is 9DH-6CJ-MQG. Thanks for pointing that out J-Spot!

I added the new code to the spreadsheet, is it possible for someone to delete the old one?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bleck posted:

I thought it was good! There was one part toward the end where I brought a POW block into a short vertical room where you're supposed to ground pound some other POW blocks and poo poo got weird and basically I couldn't get out, but overall I thought it was really creative and not frustrating at all.

Yeah apparently multiple people died there, even though its just supposed to be a fun little exit room. I was hoping looking at failure points would ellucidate me as to why so many people failed but.... there are barely any Xs. Its like someone kept starting and quitting on the level and tanked the rate because of that. But that doesn't explain to me why other people boo'd it.

Maybe I'll edit the last room and reupload it... but I have no clue what else to even edit. My brother play tested it and didn't have any issues, and none of the parts screamed" super hard to me. Its frustrating.

I liked your bee drawing though

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 15, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if people are booing levels as much as people think

I literally don't think I've ever hit that button

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Help Im Alive posted:

I hit it on a level in Expert Endless that had some skill jumps after a checkpoint, and there was a hidden block with a powerup that made it way easier. If you want to upload your level you do it right.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

If you keep track of your maker score before uploading a level, you can roughly gauge how its being reviewed by your scoring go up or down. Obviously doesn't work if you have courses getting played a ton but for someone like me who only gets a few plays a day, its very noticeable.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 15, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Title: Forest of Fury
Code: M3Q-FHC-0GG
Description: Can you defeat all the baddies in the Forest of Fury? Basically my take on a simple boss rush. My first 3D World level.
Difficulty: Very Easy

Feedback appreciated!

Edit: Saw this on Twitter, figured I'd pass it along:

https://twitter.com/GrandPOOBear/status/1149717187180912643

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 15, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some goon levels to get my mind off my failures

Pipes and Pyramids: Decent traditional level but really short. Hard to critique it due to that. It doesn't do anything wrong but its not amazing either.

Switch Ditch: Good demonstration of basic switch block stuff. Most switch block levels are really drat annoying too me but this was fine and relaxing.

Basic Beach: Ya know I'd been wondering how to make a level look like a beach and this is probably as close as you can get. Simple level, but that is what it aims to be. Length felt just fine for that.

Jump Plumber: I literally can't make the first difficult jump and have no clue how you'd do it.

Life simulator: I didn't understand this level at all and there was an impenetrable wall of spinies so what the hell.

In Da Club: Loud, confusing, and it gave me a headache. Overall, you perfectly simulated the nightclub experience. Good work.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

Internet Kraken posted:

Played some goon levels to get my mind off my failures

Life simulator: I didn't understand this level at all and there was an impenetrable wall of spinies so what the hell.

This wasn't my level, but based on the title - maybe that was the experience they were going for? Sounds relatable to me... :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Lobster posted:

Edit: Saw this on Twitter, figured I'd pass it along:

https://twitter.com/GrandPOOBear/status/1149717187180912643

Aw, man.... poo poo, I'm a dad of two boys, and therefore I have like no tolerance for sick or differently-abled kids :smith: This is great, and I hope that his level gets a million plays. I'm taking down the code to play it later.

I hope he's super-duper happy and excited to have his level get played so much :unsmith:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll give that level a shot when I'm more awake too, why the heck not.

Though that said gonna go ahead and plonk this down. Been working on making an entire Metroid-ish adventure for you guys over the past couple days!!

A old concept I wanted to try again where you have to get powers to progress through a hostile planetoid, do some minor backtracking here and there and find a way off a dangerous planet!! It even includes a (very) brief escape sequence!! Get suited up and get out of there!

If you find any sequence breaks that I overlooked uh... we'll just pretend it was intended :shobon:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Kind of concerned that the heart on random acts of Mario is going to create the same problem that the built in level browser has - levels with the most hearts get the most plays which gets them more hearts which gets them more plays and so on. I like that (I assume) it's truly random at this point, every level has an equal chance of being played so good older levels don't completely dominate.

Edit: if there's any algorithm fuckery going on I think it'd be wise to make it skew towards newer levels.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 15, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

When is the cutoff for the jams anyway? I submitted my entry like midnight Saturday because the submission link was still up, but I get the idea the event was already over.

I take way too long to put courses together. :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

When is the cutoff for the jams anyway? I submitted my entry like midnight Saturday because the submission link was still up, but I get the idea the event was already over.

I take way too long to put courses together. :(

Friday evening is the deadline to guarantee I tweet your level. You can still submit late courses though.

dizzywhip posted:

Okay I updated this to fix the issue with the annoying checkpoint, new code is 9DH-6CJ-MQG. Thanks for pointing that out J-Spot!

I added the new code to the spreadsheet, is it possible for someone to delete the old one?

Got it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

I added a thing, let me know if you hate it.

Is there a way to make it so a level being difficult isn’t also implied to be bad? Clicking the frown feels like you’re saying “This is hard and therefore terrible!”

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Kind of concerned that the heart on random acts of Mario is going to create the same problem that the built in level browser has - levels with the most hearts get the most plays which gets them more hearts which gets them more plays and so on. I like that (I assume) it's truly random at this point, every level has an equal chance of being played so good older levels don't completely dominate.

Edit: if there's any algorithm fuckery going on I think it'd be wise to make it skew towards newer levels.

I agree with you, in fact I almost added a "five star" ranking instead of the heart because a binary choice is not that helpful when we can't see how many people have played the level. For now the amount of likes is not visible and don't affect anything.

I don't agree with making the randomizer skew towards the newer levels though, mainly because those are the ones that get played the most by the people that follow the thread.

Wendell posted:

Is there a way to make it so a level being difficult isn’t also implied to be bad? Clicking the frown feels like you’re saying “This is hard and therefore terrible!”

Sure but I have no idea what emoji to use, I'm open to suggestions!

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2019

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

I don't have specific suggestions, but I think an emoji that suggests "chill" would be good for an easy level, and while an emoji that looks excited would be good for hard. Medium difficulty could just be a regular smile. I think that better conveys the kind of experience you're going for when you're choosing difficulty.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made my first proper level last night and uploaded it, and this morning 2 people had played it and one cleared it. No likes or notes, which isn't a surprise, but this morning I can't concentrate on anything but making more Mario.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

You should use Mario enemies.

Koopa, Parakoopa, Buzzy Beetle, Hammer Bros., Bowser Jr.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

I made my first proper level last night and uploaded it, and this morning 2 people had played it and one cleared it. No likes or notes, which isn't a surprise, but this morning I can't concentrate on anything but making more Mario.

Hello fellow maker with anxiety :hfive:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

DalaranJ posted:

You should use Mario enemies.

Koopa, Parakoopa, Buzzy Beetle, Hammer Bros., Bowser Jr.

This but goomba, koopa, hammer bro, boom boom, bowser.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Goomba, Koopa, Hammer Bro, Snake Block

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

nrook posted:

Goomba, Koopa, Hammer Bro, Snake Block

Claw, whirlwind

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Brick, Donut Block, Platform, Music Note, Bumper

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

A question block that gets more and more invisible

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Set your brightness until you can barely see the left question block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Plebian Parasite posted:

Star, Fire Flower, Mushroom, Coin, Cheep Cheep