Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

a.lo posted:

Release a joycon with a dpad already

Hori did, it's fine.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-Controller-Zelda-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01AJRN4CE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

They call it the Switch Lite because when you see it you do a 360 and turn it off.

You do a full spin whenever you use your light switch?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It doesn't charge though and eats away at the switch battery. Thank but no thanks

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

drat, tried the demo but 30FPS for DQB2 is a no-go for me. Having enlightened eyes is such a curse sometimes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

You do a full spin whenever you use your light switch?

Not me. I'm a pro.

I do a full 1080°

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

a.lo posted:

It doesn't charge though and eats away at the switch battery. Thank but no thanks

Don't the regular Joycons run off the Switch's battery whenever they're connected?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mario Maker rules and I haven’t even tried making anything yet.

Stomping world records in brand new levels is like crack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a.lo posted:

I’ve never noticed a difference, except the difference in how much better the hori dpad is

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Don't the regular Joycons run off the Switch's battery whenever they're connected?
When they're connected the batteries are unified as one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took my switch battery out and it only runs off the joycon batteries now.

I don’t want no drat lazy joycon leechin off my switch battery, get a drat job!!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pollyanna posted:

All of a sudden, my left joycon refuses to charge (or something). Every time I connect it to the Switch and watch its status in the Controllers screen, it rapidly cycles between a mostly-full battery, an almost-empty battery, and an almost-empty battery with a a charging icon - even if the console isn't plugged in. Then it just refuses to charge. Has anyone seen this before?

Hard reset the console with the joycons attached, then disconnect the joycons and press the resync buttons. The sleep feature fucks with the battery.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

American McGay posted:

When they're connected the batteries are unified as one.

Huh, neat. Maybe in the future when every Switch has a dead internal battery, someone will sell giant Joycons each the size of a Game Gear to save the trouble of battery replacement.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve never noticed a difference, except the difference in how much better the hori dpad is

yo dude pass me one of those joycons and let's play snipperclips

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Macaluso posted:

The Ninten-No Switch

The Ninten Do Not Switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It got kinda bad towards the end of the first island but that's about it for me.

I fully expect the performance to go ti poo poo towards the end but I know I would not like to play a game like this on a non-handheld so I got the Switch version anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bushisms.txt posted:

Hard reset the console with the joycons attached, then disconnect the joycons and press the resync buttons. The sleep feature fucks with the battery.

Holy poo poo, that did it! Thanks!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Iconoclasts is on sale so I picked it up. It’s a solid metroidvania! Found a few treasure chests I just barely can’t reach, so I hope back tracking isn’t a pain in the rear end in this game. One thing that stands out is the cheery colors don’t quite match the story, which seems dire/dark so far. Hope it stays interesting throughout.

I am apparently 15% through after an hour and a half. I appreciate games that don’t overstay their welcome, so ~10 hours to beat sounds great.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Ragequit posted:

Iconoclasts is on sale so I picked it up. It’s a solid metroidvania! Found a few treasure chests I just barely can’t reach, so I hope back tracking isn’t a pain in the rear end in this game. One thing that stands out is the cheery colors don’t quite match the story, which seems dire/dark so far. Hope it stays interesting throughout.

I am apparently 15% through after an hour and a half. I appreciate games that don’t overstay their welcome, so ~10 hours to beat sounds great.

The backtracking gets easier later on the machine planet has an insta-transit elevator you get to use after the electric woods
Remember that collecting chests adds to completion, but so does actually building the upgrades and tweaks. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was sitting on 85% completion with everything explored and adding the remainder of tweaks did it.

The game was made by one guy and it took him nearly 10 years. There are elements of the story and characters that changed throughout that time. I appreciate that it's not another drab grey/brownfest like most pixel indie titles gravitate to.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

a.lo posted:

I think they fixed that battery draining issue in a system update. It works pretty well maybe try it.

The internet tends to be full of initial knee jerk reactions that never get revisited when situations change.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ka0 posted:

The game was made by one guy and it took him nearly 10 years. There are elements of the story and characters that changed throughout that time. I appreciate that it's not another drab grey/brownfest like most pixel indie titles gravitate to.

Same, I dig the art style. Crazy that it was all done by one guy - I hope it’s been successful on Steam/Switch/etc.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It wasn't a super-seller hit like most expected it. Part of the blame is that both on steam and on PSN it got buried under a glut of other SOTN style games like celeste, chasm, hollow knight or owlboy. The PSN snafu was particularly grating because the shop wouldn't feature it, you'd have to dig to find it as it was also out on the Vita.

A lot of people complained it wasn't exactly challenging or long, and that the item tweaks were largerly useless, while praising the graphic style and music. There's a harder mode and a challenge mode you unlock after beating it once. For being a SOTN-style game it is quite text-expository intensive, and many parts of the dialogue are hard to follow since the developer's first language is Swedish and he wrote the English in himself.

On his twitter he also commented that finishing the game left him mentally drained and had to check himself in a clinic as he drove his mind into the dumpster. Although a sequel is tremendously unlikely at the moment I sure as well would love to see more because the mechanics could lend themselves for a kickass supermetroid-like.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I heard iconoclasts was incredibly wordy with a lot of cutscenes?

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, that did it! Thanks!

:tipshat: Prepare to do that a bunch.

RZA Encryption posted:

I think they fixed that battery draining issue in a system update.

This is true.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ka0 posted:

It wasn't a super-seller hit like most expected it. Part of the blame is that both on steam and on PSN it got buried under a glut of other SOTN style games like celeste, chasm, hollow knight or owlboy. The PSN snafu was particularly grating because the shop wouldn't feature it, you'd have to dig to find it as it was also out on the Vita.

A lot of people complained it wasn't exactly challenging or long, and that the item tweaks were largerly useless, while praising the graphic style and music. There's a harder mode and a challenge mode you unlock after beating it once. For being a SOTN-style game it is quite text-expository intensive, and many parts of the dialogue are hard to follow since the developer's first language is Swedish and he wrote the English in himself.

On his twitter he also commented that finishing the game left him mentally drained and had to check himself in a clinic as he drove his mind into the dumpster. Although a sequel is tremendously unlikely at the moment I sure as well would love to see more because the mechanics could lend themselves for a kickass supermetroid-like.

I mean, Iconoclasts kinda got buried in with the retro-styled adventure platformers mostly... because it IS another retro-styled action platformer, and not really a stand-out one. It's very much cut from the same cloth as Owlboy- a game who's development and craftsmanship are far more interesting then the actual game itself, which is a very slow, standard affair that gets in it's own way too often for it's own good, especially in terms of it's storytelling. The amazing thing is that the game exists at all, or is as pleasingly-wrapped as it is. None of that amazement extends to the gameplay- it is pretty standard upgrade-based platformer with some very light exploration and backtracking elements. We've gotten dozens of better designed, more interesting entries into the genre in the ten years the game was in development, and it really shows when putting it next to many of the standard-bearers for the adventure platformer, or even many of it's second tier entries.

It IS a better game then Owlboy, though- in 2008 Iconoclasts really might have been something. It just took too long to show up in a genre that's suddenly gotten a ton of competition as the indie scene blew up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i love the aesthetic of iconoclasts as like a late-era SNES game, and it controls really well. which i think puts it above a lot of similar games, even if it is not a great game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Owlboy is just so so bad. Its deflating in its badness because I still want to support the dude* but I feel bad that i paid for an across the board bad game.

*if he has been revealed to be an awful person since then this no longer holds

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Kiranamos posted:

drat, tried the demo but 30FPS for DQB2 is a no-go for me. Having enlightened eyes is such a curse sometimes.

yah it’s 30fps but on the other hand…DQB2 wherever :2bong:

if saves seamlessly could transfer between a fancy pro console and switch [lite], that’d definitely rule

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

They are 100% a curse. I have never inquired about or been aware of the FPS of any game I've ever played or been interested in and ignorance is truly bliss.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Has it been mentioned anywhere yet how soon in FE three houses you pick a side? I assume the game’ll give you time with all the characters before making you choose

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Thanks for the Mario Maker tips.

I finished the base game of NSMBUD but not all the star road or Luigi levels (I found Luigi too slippery to control which makes it more frustrating than fun).

Traded it in and getting SMM2 this week.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Iconoclasts was wonderful for about two hours, but eventually the backtracking during certain portions and failure to communicate during certain battles was just infuriating. The writing was also pretty awful, but that's secondary to the game itself being a chore.

I wanted to love that game. For a one-person effort, it's absolutely incredible.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Love Luigi and his permanently greasy shoes

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Has it been mentioned anywhere yet how soon in FE three houses you pick a side? I assume the game’ll give you time with all the characters before making you choose

I watched a Game Informer video and it seems like 30 minutes to an hour of walking around and talking to people before you make a decision. When you speak to a lord it gives you details on all the units in that house.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
DQB2 is my GOTY so far :swoon:, it gets even better after you get through the first island. It didn't really bother me in DQB that you were basically starting over after each area/chapter, but having a permanent place you can build feels a lot better. It's really satisfying completing some of the builds/missions and seeing your progress over time.

If I had to find something to complain about, occasionally it feels like the monsters in the wild spawn a little too fast. Sometimes I'm just trying to chill and explore and even if I clear out some monsters and they will keep respawning and harassing me. Just mildly annoying.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Is it true it constantly keeps the fan running? I kinda wanna get it but am split between the switch and PS4 version.

Let's be honest though I'd probably only play the PS4 version for a few hours. DQB2 seems like the perfect portable game

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

katkillad2 posted:

DQB2 is my GOTY so far :swoon:, it gets even better after you get through the first island. It didn't really bother me in DQB that you were basically starting over after each area/chapter, but having a permanent place you can build feels a lot better. It's really satisfying completing some of the builds/missions and seeing your progress over time.

If I had to find something to complain about, occasionally it feels like the monsters in the wild spawn a little too fast. Sometimes I'm just trying to chill and explore and even if I clear out some monsters and they will keep respawning and harassing me. Just mildly annoying.

How's the boss fights? Them being completely different from the rest of the game was the worst part of DQB1 for me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Licarn posted:

How's the boss fights? Them being completely different from the rest of the game was the worst part of DQB1 for me.

I've only had one proper boss fight but it was fine (and pretty short)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rolo posted:

I asked this before and nobody answered but should I get snake pass?

If you mute the default music and put on rap music instead, it becomes a top tier game.

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1145111119293497349

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

So who's found the best/biggest Prime Day deal for SDHC cards? I've gotta get a new one pronto, hopefully 512 if they're not absurdly priced.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Amazon workers are on strike, don't buy anything today or tomorrow

Best Buy will generally price match Amazon so go there(they match the normal price not the sale price but you don't have to worry about shipping)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Amazon workers are on strike, don't buy anything today or tomorrow