Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The casting and acting are both really good, but the writing is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bogus Adventure posted:

The casting and acting are both really good, but the writing is poo poo.

Welcome to Disney Land

edit (Jurassic world, last Jedi, king of the monsters, and so on etc)

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 14, 2019

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

man nurse posted:

The new Star Trek movies were awesome and are like the only Trek related media I've enjoyed. But I'm not a fan of any of the shows, so I guess they accomplished their mission of making it something a filthy casual would like.

I'm a big fan of the shows and I really like the first and third ones. The second one is a hot loving mess though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sanguinia posted:

I'm a big fan of the shows and I really like the first and third ones. The second one is a hot loving mess though.

Same, the third one was great imo and it's a shame it did badly.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Same, the third one was great imo and it's a shame it did badly.

Its marketing was godawful, combined with the fact that it had the Fast and the Furious director. And it was unfortunate enough to follow the actual worst Star Trek movie ever made, offensively so.

"Beyond" was a giant leap in the right direction, and I want a Simon Pegg-Tarantino collab fourth entry. I'd be fine with the R-rating if it weren't just used for dropping f-bombs. Like, if Tarantino could do something unique and apart from his usual style, I'd be into it. And I know he could.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Preston Waters posted:

Its marketing was godawful, combined with the fact that it had the Fast and the Furious director.

Justin Lin did an excellent job directing Beyond. The problem is that when he was announced as the director, everyone went, "Oh, poo poo, it's the Fast & Furious guy, it's going to be mindless action," and Paramount's marketing and PR people did absolutely nothing to get out in front of that and say that it wasn't going to be anything like that. And then that godawful first trailer dropped in December 2015, which made it look like ... well, dumb, mindless action, and then they stopped marketing the movie until like five weeks before its release.

The movie's biggest sin was the same as Thor 2's: Casting a brilliant actor as the villain heavy, and then having 95 percent of his dialogue be absolute gibberish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh for sure, Paramount didn’t do any kind of marketing at all between that bad trailer (which Simon Pegg very publicly said was awful) and about a month until release. So a lot of the failure of the movie certainly falls on the shoulders of the studio’s disinterest. Then because the movie underperformed, the studio wanted a lot of the cast to take paycuts for the 4th movie and that was a no-go.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This whole thing smacks of gender, I holler as I rip up my $40 galaxy's edge souvenir midichlorian test results and turn the 4th of May into the 4th of poo poo

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I have now heard the dumbest theory ever and I sort of want a dumb End Game like time travel plot to happen just so I can laugh at it for a day straight. "Uh, poo poo's hosed because of Last Jedi" *J.J. Abrams busts in with the writer of Justice League and Batman V Superman* "GUYS! LET'S JUST FLING THEM BACK SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS IN THE PAST!"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Justin Lin did an excellent job directing Beyond. The problem is that when he was announced as the director, everyone went, "Oh, poo poo, it's the Fast & Furious guy, it's going to be mindless action," and Paramount's marketing and PR people did absolutely nothing to get out in front of that and say that it wasn't going to be anything like that. And then that godawful first trailer dropped in December 2015, which made it look like ... well, dumb, mindless action, and then they stopped marketing the movie until like five weeks before its release.

The movie's biggest sin was the same as Thor 2's: Casting a brilliant actor as the villain heavy, and then having 95 percent of his dialogue be absolute gibberish.

I do apologize. I didn't mean to infer anything other that he ended up being a great director. While everyone thought it had a weak villain (I don't necessarily blame them), I feel like the focus was more on the good guys. I enjoyed all of the writing regarding their character arcs, particularly Spock's. His and McCoy's arc in that was what kept me engaged. The poo poo about him "giving [his] girlfriend a tracker," etc. They always had one of the most turbulent / contentious relationships among the crew in the OG films, and that's why McCoy was picked to harbor Spock's soul or w/e in the third entry of that series. Kirk's was also good. Choosing to reject the admiralty position at the end, while unsurprising, was handled well. Literally the weakest part was the motorcycle acrobatics poo poo, but at least it had that cool tech thing where you have duplicates.

I honestly didn't mind the Beastie Boys poo poo at the end. "Is this classical music" -- yea, aight, but the OG films / series had way worse poo poo jokes. I won't even bring up Voyager, which I like btw.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Crabtree posted:

I have now heard the dumbest theory ever and I sort of want a dumb End Game like time travel plot to happen just so I can laugh at it for a day straight. "Uh, poo poo's hosed because of Last Jedi" *J.J. Abrams busts in with the writer of Justice League and Batman V Superman* "GUYS! LET'S JUST FLING THEM BACK SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS IN THE PAST!"

plz don't plagiarize RLM, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeOrA2in1c&t=420s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh for sure, Paramount didn’t do any kind of marketing at all between that bad trailer (which Simon Pegg very publicly said was awful) and about a month until release. So a lot of the failure of the movie certainly falls on the shoulders of the studio’s disinterest. Then because the movie underperformed, the studio wanted a lot of the cast to take paycuts for the 4th movie and that was a no-go.

They only had Pine and Quinto under contract for Star Trek 4. Everyone else was done after Beyond, and Paramount wasn't forking out the money to get anyone else back, because Paramount is a poo poo-show, hence Hemsworth and Pine walking from it.

Star Trek 4 flatlined because CBS decided that it was better off as TV. (Which isn't necessarily wrong.) Last I checked, SJ Clarkson's busy with the Game of Thrones prequel and Trek is just going to live on as television.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Paramount has never really supported Trek on film as much as Trek TV so I'm fine if we don't get more movies for awhile

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Crabtree posted:

Rey's mother is... HERSELF
so is her father somehow

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Krazyface posted:

so is her father somehow

Thank you for your pitch Mr Heinlein.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Force knocked up one of the cloning cylinders that the Emperor was going to use for his EU resurrection project and when Han discovered the lab he couldn't bring himself to smash the Rey tube along with the regular fetal Sheevs.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Krazyface posted:

so is her father somehow

This is unrealistic. HOWEVER, I will allow Rey to be her own Grandpa.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So wait is the writer of Justice League really doing the new Star Wars script?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yes, really. Justice League and BvS.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Yes, really. Justice League and BvS.

Not Justice league. The justice league that was released is a fundamentally different movie from what Chris Terrio and Zack Snyder worked on.

The only reason I would consider seeing the next star wars movie would be due to Terrio, but honestly it doesn't matter who they get because anything remotely interesting in the script will be sanded down to make the film as boring and uncontroversial as possible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The RLM video mentions something that really bothered me about TLJ- there is no hook for the next movie at all, which I will never understand. As they mention, they have to wildly speculate because the TLJ ending leaves you with nothing to go on.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
With the success of End Game they have all the justification to do another abrams Retcon, only question is how far back do they go. To the original trilogy or even further and just cannibalize all of the expanded universe but even dumber somehow?

All of their side content is extraneous poo poo around early rebellion/right before episode 4, but I don't know if even Disney would dare to just remake the OG trilogy with new lukes and leyas.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

The RLM video mentions something that really bothered me about TLJ- there is no hook for the next movie at all, which I will never understand. As they mention, they have to wildly speculate because the TLJ ending leaves you with nothing to go on.

Everyone is dead oh also there is no reason for the resistance to exist

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

banned from Starbucks posted:

Apparently when you do the lightsaber thing theres some special random black lightsaber crystals that they only put out a certain number of each hour/day so you're supposed to feel special or whatever when you find a rare black one but turns out nerds are just going around shining flashlights into all the containers until they find the rare ones and ebaying them.

lmao

already up to $500 with 10 hours to go. find one of these and you can finance your whole trip!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Crabtree posted:

With the success of End Game they have all the justification to do another abrams Retcon, only question is how far back do they go. To the original trilogy or even further and just cannibalize all of the expanded universe but even dumber somehow?

All of their side content is extraneous poo poo around early rebellion/right before episode 4, but I don't know if even Disney would dare to just remake the OG trilogy with new lukes and leyas.

Soon they can match End Game excitement and Star Wars fans can be like my co-worker who took a night off work to see it and was like "it was alright, it lived up to expectations" when I got him to talk about it at all on the next shift.

I mean, I used to get really excited for new Final Fantasy games, but I was really excited to discuss my dumb opinions about them? :shrug:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 15, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

Everyone is dead oh also there is no reason for the resistance to exist
I think they even say that the entire Resistance is currently on the Falcon.

I know there are a lot of rumors about a time jump, but you’re going to need one hell of a jump to fix that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I don't get the no hook after TLJ criticism. There's very little of JJ's mystery box hooks left from TFA but there is just as much "hook" as like ESB to ROTJ or AOTC to ROTS in that there is more story and we have not seen the final resolution between the factions & characters.

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy
- How will the resistance rebuild
- How will the First Order be defeated
- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader
- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey
- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice
- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance

Those are as interesting or not as your opinion of the movies probably goes but they're not absent. Things are arguably worse than where we leave off in ESB, and there's more presumed chaos at the top of each faction. That's interesting to me. And with a time skip (which every OT movie had), there are tons of possibilities for picking it back up. They could have gone full EU & had Rey with a bunch of jedi padawans to add more lightsaber poo poo. Kylo could be the head of a unified FO ruling the galaxy or the leader of a fractured FO full of infighting or as someone that isnt even sure he wants to rule the FO. Come on the rebellions greatest hero sacrificed himself to give the resistance a fighting chance at saving the galaxy how is that not pumping your imagination for a sequel!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Things are a lot worse unless they forgot to tell us about a secret Resistance fleet somewhere

The OG Rebellion had the entire fleet it threw at the 2nd Death Star

This Resistance has 17 people in the Falcon’s lounge

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Things are a lot worse unless they forgot to tell us about a secret Resistance fleet somewhere

The OG Rebellion had the entire fleet it threw at the 2nd Death Star

This Resistance has 17 people in the Falcon’s lounge

the rebels looked like poo poo in ESB, the rotj time skip was kind to them where they got a massive cap ship fleet and 2 entire brand new fighter types.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
At the end of ESB they dock at a fairly large, entirely new ship which gives us an idea that their resources are not yet finished.
Contrast with tlj where the entire plot shows us there’s nothing left just a small freighter

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
jj going from a remake of a new hope to a remake of star wars 09+endgame is too good a theory to not be true

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerkface posted:

I don't get the no hook after TLJ criticism. There's very little of JJ's mystery box hooks left from TFA but there is just as much "hook" as like ESB to ROTJ or AOTC to ROTS in that there is more story and we have not seen the final resolution between the factions & characters.

Not doing this to try to burn you, it's more just a personal though exercise so bear with me.

- Whats Rey gonna do now that she is carrying the Jedi legacy

Based what we know of her, probably whatever Leia and Ghost Luke tell her to.

- How will the resistance rebuild

I will figuratively eat my hat if this plot point is addressed in depth

- How will the First Order be defeated

They'll probably just go home after it all turns out to be a big misunderstanding

- How is Kylo going to handle being supreme leader

Based on what we know of him, probably not well. He'll be stupid and impulsive but it won't really blow back on him in any meaningful way.

- Whats gonna happen with kylo / between kylo & rey

They're going to exchange a few longing glances and then Kylo will die

- Paying off Luke's noble sacrifice

I don't know what this means, but he will have cool ghost powers and generally seem to enjoy the ghost life and enjoy being able to bug Kylo whenever he wants.

- What will a hard committed Finn bring to the resistance

Probably about the same thing a half-assed Finn brought to the resistance.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I also think if you're gonna bring back the Emperor, having Sidius be tethered to this barely alive, charred skeleton that can still project a deadly ghost or electricity is the funnest way to bring him back. Turn the emperor from an old rear end in a top hat that loves to be evil into a lich that loves to be evil.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think time travel is unlikely, not because JJ is above trying it but because it would never survive the firing squad of execs wanting something safe. Though it is fun to imagine just how bad it could get eg

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think time travel is unlikely, not because JJ is above trying it but because it would never survive the firing squad of execs wanting something safe. Though it is fun to imagine just how bad it could get eg

That would actually loving own. Especially if it meant that the entire planet of Jakku was sent back in time and became Tatooine

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rey, you are MY grandmother is also acceptable

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lol, I will laugh so hard if that's what happens

Lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Palpatine put half of his soul in his walking stick and half in Darth Vader’s helmet.

If they’re ever brought together, Palpatine will be resurrected in the form of an empty, talking helmet perched on top of a stick.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerkface posted:

the rebels looked like poo poo in ESB, the rotj time skip was kind to them where they got a massive cap ship fleet and 2 entire brand new fighter types.

I still don't understand why the B-Wing is called that when it goes from an em dash to a lowercase T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Timby posted:

I still don't understand why the B-Wing is called that when it goes from an em dash to a lowercase T.

I think they designed ship models codenamed "A" and "B" and kept the names.