Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Does the converter work on the most recent EU4/CK2 patches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My godking of destiny went on a legendary journey and made a bloodline because why not, then he won a duel with an immortal rival, a possible valkyrie. And then his beloved wife, who he loved so much he wrote an amazing book about how much he loved her, died. And then he killed himself. Final score, hampered a bit by suicidal depression:

He lost a lot of kids to various things, really bad luck with kids. His inheriting son's been off leading a mercenary troop, let's see how- holy poo poo

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

My godking of destiny went on a legendary journey and made a bloodline because why not, then he won a duel with an immortal rival, a possible valkyrie. And then his beloved wife, who he loved so much he wrote an amazing book about how much he loved her, died. And then he killed himself. Final score, hampered a bit by suicidal depression:

He lost a lot of kids to various things, really bad luck with kids. His inheriting son's been off leading a mercenary troop, let's see how- holy poo poo

Meanwhile I have played more games than I can count since the immortality event chain was added, and have never experienced success. I've had the reincarnate as a child result 3 times that I can remember, the best I've done. I started choosing the option to not even try right at the start. :(

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just had to defend against a Prepared Invasion.
The attacker already had 4500 Event troops that hadn't disbanded from something previous, and got another 4500 for this Invasion.
I'm a Merchant Republic, so had to hire a bunch of mercs to defend. It cost roughly 1000 gold to hire them and keep them for the duration, and when I won, the fucker who attacked had to pay 74 gold.

He's still got 400+ in his bank. Something seriously hosed up with that.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Just had to defend against a Prepared Invasion.
The attacker already had 4500 Event troops that hadn't disbanded from something previous, and got another 4500 for this Invasion.
I'm a Merchant Republic, so had to hire a bunch of mercs to defend. It cost roughly 1000 gold to hire them and keep them for the duration, and when I won, the fucker who attacked had to pay 74 gold.

He's still got 400+ in his bank. Something seriously hosed up with that.

Is he in your prison, and can you banish him for all that other money?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

abrosheen posted:

To confirm, if he doesn't have an heir it'll just go to the captor anyway, right?
If not, I'd probably wait for him to age a bit, THEN banish the guy

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a good guide to playing Matilda in 1066? My searches have mostly turned up older guides that I'm not sure are really applicable anymore. I've seen a lot of screenshots of people creating the Kingdom of Italy incredibly quickly but I'm not really sure what the process is that they're doing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

abrosheen posted:

Nope, he was a ruler, rather than an Adventurer. So no Imprisoning and no payouts.
Just a lot of Event troops, still.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so has anyone had that "bad omen stars" even thing make your kid go weird? Because I just had a daughter who was born an eyeless giant.

And then a year later, Freya blesses her with beauty.

My daughter is a sexy blind giant.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Had an incredible lucky thing happen where apparently one of my vassals imprisoned the Sultan of the Abbasid empire. So I just declared holy war after holy war and immediately won until their entire loving empire was gone. I've never seen anything like that and I think it might take a few hundred years until my threat dies down but whatever, the Holy Roman Empire is huge!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Grem posted:

Had an incredible lucky thing happen where apparently one of my vassals imprisoned the Sultan of the Abbasid empire. So I just declared holy war after holy war and immediately won until their entire loving empire was gone. I've never seen anything like that and I think it might take a few hundred years until my threat dies down but whatever, the Holy Roman Empire is huge!

I always thought you couldn’t declare war against your prisoners and imprisoned rulers were released at the end of wars. Surely a bug if it doesn’t recognise your vassal has them?

Still great news for Emperor Grem!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Might be a kind of loophole with it being his vassal. Maybe the vassal imprisoned the Top 'Sid via the laboratory looting mission the hermetics have so he's not getting released like a normal PoW?

Iunno that's the only thing I can think of.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
[AITA] Just had my firstborn son and he has a hairlip. I want to kill him and try again.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Yea I haven't seen anything like it and I've been playing this game for years. I guess if I wasn't so hasty I might have been able to track down what happened but gently caress it I rule the entire west portion of the map and then some now!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Holy poo poo I did it.

Not just a successful immortal, but a super good immortal.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nice. I've only managed it once myself with an Empress of Israel lol. Unfortunately it didn't happen until like the last two hundred years of the game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I wish there was a mod that added more content for Berber Sicilians. I think it's a really neat start but there's basically no content for it which is pretty lame.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eyepatch-problems.1200849/

okay, I need help. I was trying to make an item basically act like an eyepatch that will stay on the portrait after a guy dies and I CANNOT figure out what I am doing wrong just making it show up, much less passing it down. I tried making a new layer for it and that didn't work, and I don't exactly know how to make sure it stays under the helmet anyway, so I went for another eyepatch, but that isn't working either.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 15, 2019

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
An update: my man lost his dick.

He's immortal and dickless.

He then apparently had a conversation with the head of the Benedictine Order and announced he was going celibate. Uh huh, yeah, sure.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

He then apparently had a conversation with the head of the Benedictine Order and announced he was going celibate. Uh huh, yeah, sure.

Hey, when life takes away your lemons, make something other than lemonade.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

An update: my man lost his dick.

He's immortal and dickless.

Nothing that our lord and savior Satan can't fix.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AG3 posted:

Nothing that our lord and savior Satan can't fix.

Yea but he's gonna peg you first

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yea but he's gonna peg you first

A small price to pay.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I'm sorry for the newbad question but I hope this is the place for it.

I've been learning on Ironman because I loving hate myself. Well, not too much because I've been playing in Ireland, but still. I've finally got a playthrough to the point where I control 3 of the 5 Irish duchies and can create the Kingdom of Ireland. What can I expect when I do that? Nothing much? Will all my vassals suddenly get envious? Will it paint a big target on my back? My current ruler is a female inasmuch as that affects diplomacy, and there's one other 4-county petty kingdom in the future KoI that I expect will have to be conquered. Also, England managed to get a one-county foothold up north and I'm not exactly prepared for war with England yet, should the title creation prompt that.

(Sidenote: I don't think any other game has made me this trigger shy before. It's been a very different kind of fun.)

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

AtraMorS posted:

I've been learning on Ironman because I loving hate myself. Well, not too much because I've been playing in Ireland, but still. I've finally got a playthrough to the point where I control 3 of the 5 Irish duchies and can create the Kingdom of Ireland. What can I expect when I do that? Nothing much? Will all my vassals suddenly get envious? Will it paint a big target on my back? My current ruler is a female inasmuch as that affects diplomacy, and there's one other 4-county petty kingdom in the future KoI that I expect will have to be conquered. Also, England managed to get a one-county foothold up north and I'm not exactly prepared for war with England yet, should the title creation prompt that.

(Sidenote: I don't think any other game has made me this trigger shy before. It's been a very different kind of fun.)

Basically once you create the kingdom title, your vassals will be envious of your duchy titles. As a king-level and above ruler, you are limited to two of each lesser title (not counting counties) before your vassals start disliking you for it. In your current situation you can probably not worry about it though. It matters more when you have a lot of vassals and you create one of these titles. Once you create the kingdom though you get de jure claims on the rest of Ireland and as a kingdom you can possibly diplo-vassalize any lone counties still kicking around.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Forge an empire of Ireland and then conquer the world, you want to be able to raise 100k troops before the Aztecs invade.

(lol if you turned the Aztec invasion off)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you get a kingdom, your realm can no longer be split up by gavelkind (unless you have more than one kingdom title, and still your non-kingly heir will still get some counties). You also get claims on all of the de jure territory in the kingdom, which means a casus beli for the bits of Ireland you haven't conquered yet, as well as the fact that now you are the de jure liege of those independent Irish rulers, so if they like you enough, you can just ask nicely to swear fealty to you.

England won't get angry at you, and you'll have a good CB for kicking them off Ireland when you do feel like you can take them.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Kyle Hyde posted:

Basically once you create the kingdom title, your vassals will be envious of your duchy titles. As a king-level and above ruler, you are limited to two of each lesser title (not counting counties) before your vassals start disliking you for it. In your current situation you can probably not worry about it though. It matters more when you have a lot of vassals and you create one of these titles. Once you create the kingdom though you get de jure claims on the rest of Ireland and as a kingdom you can possibly diplo-vassalize any lone counties still kicking around.
Very cool, thanks a lot! The wikis have been really informative, but the info can get scattered across different pages and guides.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

(lol if you turned the Aztec invasion off)
No idea. Guess I'll find out!

SlothfulCobra posted:

England won't get angry at you, and you'll have a good CB for kicking them off Ireland when you do feel like you can take them.
Also very good to know.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

AtraMorS posted:

Awesome, it's a very satisfying thing to do the first time! I actually started off trying to learn on Ironman (in Ireland, of course) but it glitched and lost my save... and I've never been back.

As others have said, once you're the king, you can likely hoover up single-holding rulers by offering them vassalisation. Bigger players like that four county duke are probably going to require a beat down though.

As for England's county, it's an annoying situation but usually the best bet is to wait until they have a major revolt on their hands and blitzkrieg whichever side owns it (ideally the weaker one). This can fizzle if someone loses before you get a chance to enforce your demands, so you want to pick a big revolt where they're relatively evenly matched. The nice thing is that CB will just be sitting there waiting for you, so you can go off and do whatever and just wait for an ungrateful English duke to go nuclear.

Picking off bits of Wales is usually my second go-to move once I've got all the low hanging fruit in Ireland, especially if I can beat England to the punch. Scotland is another option, I got lucky my last game and married into a claim for the whole Kingdom, but usually I wait for revolts and press fabricated claims.

quote:

Totally unrelated game, but Sunless Seas is also good for this!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Bigger players like that four county duke are probably going to require a beat down though.

If the bigger dukes refuse at first, wait until you've got the smaller de jure vassals to swear fealty and they should kneel once you're big enough.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The Immortal Dickless King found himself dueling another immortal Scotsman. The motherfucker started giving a speech about freeing the realm from a great evil, so our good goon kind interrupted to "um ... ACtually" over and over again until he got mad and distracted, then the goon beat him to death with a candlestick.

The man refuses to die. Praise the immortal dickless god-emperor of Scotland.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
If you have time to wait, and a ruler on the younger side, you can play a long con by gathering as many fabricated claims on counties that you do not have dejure claims on, and then press them all at once. It’s my go to strategy in Ireland vs England. Bide my time and stack claims and press 3 or 4 at once and hope for the best.

Look out for enemy pacts and utilize mercenaries.

E: I’ve got my own little situation I’m wondering what to do with. I’m the King of Breizh, which I’ve renamed Breezy, and I own my De Jur kingdom, Duchy of Normandy (minus 1 county) and Duchy of Paris. Both Normandy and Paris are held by dynastic members, and my Character just finished consolidating the rest of the Brittany to directly hold it all. I’m also Tanist Succession with a few genius traits in my pool.

I just won a crusade so I’ve got 10k+ in the bank, and I’m ready to get weird. I’m basically even in strength with England and France, and I just don’t know where to go from here.

What would you do?

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Thoroughly own France and England with all that crusader blood money.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

Thoroughly own France and England with all that crusader blood money.

Yeah, this - but maybe try not to take too much for yourself. Put relatives on the throne, and give them their independence. Dominate Europe by blood!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, this - but maybe try not to take too much for yourself. Put relatives on the throne, and give them their independence. Dominate Europe by blood!

Yeah the only reason I homogenized the realm was because it was convenient. With a young king who’s father was the crusader, I used the resources to clear out those distant counties so I can land duchy claimants and pick France off.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

isn’t brittany usually white

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

a fatguy bald spot posted:

isn’t brittany usually white

One of its constituent duchies (penthievre I think?) is but the kingdom itself has always been that ugly brown as far as I know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kyle Hyde posted:

As a king-level and above ruler, you are limited to two of each lesser title (not counting counties) before your vassals start disliking you for it.

This only applies to duchies. If you're an emperor you can hold as many kingdoms as you want without penalty, although some dukes in each country will covet the kingdom that their demesne lies in. This is why while superdukes are bad anyway, it is especially bad to have them hold duchies in more than one kingdom. Not only will they be as strong as a minor king already, they also double dip on the jealousy maluses so are more likely to rebel.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

abrosheen posted:

Meanwhile I have played more games than I can count since the immortality event chain was added, and have never experienced success. I've had the reincarnate as a child result 3 times that I can remember, the best I've done. I started choosing the option to not even try right at the start. :(

I feel this isn't as well known, but the Martial and Intrigue paths to immortality lead to rebirth while the other two lead to immortality on your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Isn't rebirth a failure state?

I'm pretty sure I've martialed my way to eternal life before.