Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah going from memory the sloth is not adjusting well to life aboard ship. Jack gives him a little grog to which the sloth responds (probably overly) positively, and then Jack starts feeding the sloth a daily grog ration.

Sort of. It's in the third book.

The sloth loves Maturin and everyone else on the ship except Jack, until Jack gets it drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LatwPIAT posted:

OK so let's talk about the Bradley design in Pentagon Wars

This is a good post. Pentagon Wars is good for illustrating things like test planning and requirements development and bad organizational practices. It is not an historically accurate depiction of the Brad's development.

I will add though, there was one major failing/error in the Brad's development. I have no idea if it was touched on in the movie. The late Cold War "Big 5" (Patriot, Abrams, Apache, Bradley, Blackhawk) were all developed based around REFORGER-like requirements --- basically, rapid deployment of forces to whatever Western European country the Russian Horde decided to invade. This deployment was huge, basically two full armored corps, plus the troops already in Europe. They all had to be moved huge distances from Army bases in the US and a few in Europe to various bases and depots around where we thought the Russians would want to go. The C-130 was the backbone of the last leg of this deployment...we had a ton of them, as did all of our allies, so being able to pack into one was a huge advantage when you're trying to rapidly move a ton of dudes and vehicles.

We knew that no tank was ever going to be C-130 transportable, so one of the big things driving the Brad's requirements was to provide some meaningful tank-like firepower to the crunchies being rapidly flown out to stand in front of the Red Army. The IFV capabilities were a huge upgrade over the old metal box APCs, and would have been incredibly useful in a situation like what we thought WWIII in Western Europe would look like. The Brad's...rapid expansion through the course of its development, however, sized it out of the C-130, which now meant it had to be rail or line hauled to where it needed to go, which in turn made things a whole lot slower and more vulnerable. This capability wasn't really backfilled until the Stryker came along, and even then, not completely.

It is one of those rather boring capabilities -- not nearly as fun as missiles or guns or range or penetration or whatever -- but it is probably more important all things considered.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Animals on ships is a super underappreciated part of naval history.my favorite was the elephant a bunch of sailors "acquired" and taught it what ropes to hold

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Raenir Salazar posted:

One guy responded, "Because the Bradley is a piece of crap!" linking the Pentagon Wars, but troubled development has nothing to do with how it would perform in some theoretical scifi setting.

These guys are the absolute worst and I pity them and their sad little lives.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

bewbies posted:

It is one of those rather boring capabilities -- not nearly as fun as missiles or guns or range or penetration or whatever -- but it is probably more important all things considered.

I wasn't really aware that this was something the Bradley failed to accomplish, but I do know the US kept trying to acquire this capability throughout the 1980s: the 9ID (Motorized) High-Tech Test Bed and their fast attack concept with their Mk.19s and HMMWV-TOWs and never-materializing wheeled APCs and guns, and a small reference to Anniston trying to convert old M551 hulls into an AmeriBMD to give the 101st armour, autocannons, and under-armour TOW in the late 80s. My impression is that the US Army never really managed to prioritize that kind of quick, airborne deployability to a level that matched how much they said they wanted it. The 9ID kept getting loaded down with heavy brigades, and the XVIII Airborne Corps had a mechanized division with Bradleys and Abrams attached to it...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is that chap who wanted to make 'Gavin' happen for the M113 still around?

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Agean90 posted:

Animals on ships is a super underappreciated part of naval history.my favorite was the elephant a bunch of sailors "acquired" and taught it what ropes to hold

Up until the middle of WWII, the Royal Navy had a zoo on Whale Island in Portsmouth, to hold all the animals it had collected that were too big to fit on the ships that acquired them. The main attraction were a couple of polar bears and a small pride of lions, but it had all sorts of creatures.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LatwPIAT posted:

I wasn't really aware that this was something the Bradley failed to accomplish, but I do know the US kept trying to acquire this capability throughout the 1980s: the 9ID (Motorized) High-Tech Test Bed and their fast attack concept with their Mk.19s and HMMWV-TOWs and never-materializing wheeled APCs and guns, and a small reference to Anniston trying to convert old M551 hulls into an AmeriBMD to give the 101st armour, autocannons, and under-armour TOW in the late 80s. My impression is that the US Army never really managed to prioritize that kind of quick, airborne deployability to a level that matched how much they said they wanted it. The 9ID kept getting loaded down with heavy brigades, and the XVIII Airborne Corps had a mechanized division with Bradleys and Abrams attached to it...

You can kind of trace how it went as you look at the Brad prototypes from back in the day...whenever it was they decided to put the main gun in a turret, the C-130 was out, more or less. The expectation was that lighter forces would get an AT/APC like what you're describing but as you note that never really came close to materializing.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bewbies posted:

We knew that no tank was ever going to be C-130 transportable, so one of the big things driving the Brad's requirements was to provide some meaningful tank-like firepower to the crunchies being rapidly flown out to stand in front of the Red Army. The IFV capabilities were a huge upgrade over the old metal box APCs, and would have been incredibly useful in a situation like what we thought WWIII in Western Europe would look like. The Brad's...rapid expansion through the course of its development, however, sized it out of the C-130, which now meant it had to be rail or line hauled to where it needed to go, which in turn made things a whole lot slower and more vulnerable. This capability wasn't really backfilled until the Stryker came along, and even then, not completely.

Deployability is certainly very important, but I find it somewhat difficult to criticise the Bradley for not fitting in a C-130, it's desperately difficult to make a vehicle that fits in a tactical transport aircraft, carries useful anti-tank firepower and transports a reasonable number of infantry under useful protection. Wiesel or BMD-1 would fill your first two requirements, Bradley works for the second two and the first and last can be fulfilled by M113 or Piranha. Of course, if you spend 15 years thinking up a cool new name for the Piranha and then stick a Javelin in the back it gets pretty close but that takes time.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think I am these guys, I'm just much better at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cessna posted:

Sort of. It's in the third book.

The sloth loves Maturin and everyone else on the ship except Jack, until Jack gets it drunk.

It's even better than I remembered

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

And the XM8 Armored Gun System, of course, which is exactly what they needed to fulfill the requirement arriving too late for anyone to want it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So what the poo poo is the deal with the hoverboard shown off at that french parade?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's even better than I remembered

They're beautiful, aren't they?

If you (anyone reading this) are having a hard time getting into the books, maybe try the Audible version. Make sure you get the series narrated by Patrick Tull. He sounds like an old English sailor and it fits perfectly. I've read all of the books, but will put Tull's voice on when I'm doing hobby stuff for inspiration.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah words failed me. I was like, "But the Brad isn't any worse than any of its direct competitors in a hypothetical peer conflict? What makes it bad for a peer conflict?" and the response was "Just because it's less poo poo then some other poo poo, doesn't make it not poo poo."

Some people are just obnoxious contrarians and there's no rhyme or reason to their thoughts or actions other then strutting their hate boner.

The whole point was, "It seems like it could squeeze through the Gate, it'd be interesting if they could've done that, and I wonder why they didn't when the US Airforce seemed more than happy to give them surplus equipment for filming."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I see that a lot. If someone is dead set on calling something poo poo, they will compare it not with its contemporaries or even modern tanks, but some kind of platonic ideal they created in their head of what a "good" tank should be.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cessna posted:

- The Mk-19 is a wonderful weapon, but it isn't in the same league as things like an ATGM. It's great for keeping enemy infantry's heads down, but I wouldn't want to use it in a shootout with a BMP or the like. Like you say, "fire support," but it's more like a mortar in practical terms.

To expand on this:

The problem with the Mk-19 on the AAV is the mount.

Tanks usually have some sort of control that lets the gunner or TC move the gun on both the X and Y axis with variable speeds, so they can quickly move the gun around then make fine adjustments to get it onto the target. They'll also have a manual control (a crank of some sort) for fine adjustments or for if/when the power goes out.

The AAV doesn't have this. There's an electric motor for traverse, but it's on/off. There's no fine adjustment, it's just whip the turret around, stop. Fine adjustments are made with manual crank wheels.

This is perfectly fine if you're using the MK-19 to suppress targets or for relatively long range fire. But it's not responsive enough to use in a shoot-out.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 17, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yeah, I see that a lot. If someone is dead set on calling something poo poo, they will compare it not with its contemporaries or even modern tanks, but some kind of platonic ideal they created in their head of what a "good" tank should be.

Yeah, he ignored congressional evidence of its performance, and dismissed its good showing in the Iraq war as "winning against untrained guerrillas" when I'm pretty sure Iraq's army in both Gulf Wars are more than perfectly capable of punching holes in the Brad on a perfectly flat plane with perfectly spherical frictionless tanks.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The US army was even better at punching holes in Bradleys in the Gulf War :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cessna posted:

If you (anyone reading this) are having a hard time getting into the books, maybe try the Audible version. Make sure you get the series narrated by Patrick Tull. He sounds like an old English sailor and it fits perfectly. I've read all of the books, but will put Tull's voice on when I'm doing hobby stuff for inspiration.

I read them as a child sort of indifferently, and then I re-read them in my late 20s and appreciated them much more.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

The AAV doesn't have this. There's an electric motor for traverse, but it's on/off. There's no fine adjustment, it's just whip the turret around, stop.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Epicurius posted:

I thought Burton's bigger complaint about the Bradley was less mission creep and more about the army's initial reluctance to subject it to live fire testing, and then when they did and it did terribly, suppress the results and rerun rigged tests.

IIRC this is something the author got weird about but there were two schools of thought. The first was to run scientific tests where you take armor plates and subject them to hits from various weapons at various angles to figure out what they can survive. The second is to put a whole vehicle out there and just shoot it with a big tank gun and see what happens. The author was in the second camp and specifically wanted to see overmatch tests.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's a pretty reasonable progression: test plates, then empty hulls, then entire vehicles to see if vital equipment falls off on nonpenetrating hits. Obviously you don't skip straight to #3 and shoot it with the biggest gun you have, because then you don't really learn anything.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

As this says:

It's not a tank. It's not supposed to be a tank. It's not supposed to fight AFVs.

It's a big truck with a little bit of protection against small arms that can carry lots of troops from ship to shore, then lob some grenades at enemy grunts to keep their heads down.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Anything with tracks and armour is a tank if you're a mediocre infantry commander!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anything with tracks and armour is a tank if you're a mediocre infantry commander!

Exactly.

And that's why the USMC doesn't want to put TOWs on their APCs, they know that gung-ho grunt captains would think they can use them to go hunt tanks.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

It's not a tank. It's not supposed to be a tank. It's not supposed to fight AFVs.

It's a big truck with a little bit of protection against small arms that can carry lots of troops from ship to shore, then lob some grenades at enemy grunts to keep their heads down.

I'm not screaming because it doesn't let you fight tanks, I'm screaming because it's a terrible way to make a system for pointing precisely at things. And, sure, grenade launcher doesn't care about precision, but doesn't that turret also have a machine gun?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the closer it resembles a tank the more likely you'll be tempted to use it as such

edit: this is basically the Battlecruiser problem

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm not screaming because it doesn't let you fight tanks, I'm screaming because it's a terrible way to make a system for pointing precisely at things. And, sure, grenade launcher doesn't care about precision, but doesn't that turret also have a machine gun?

The manual control is perfectly fine for that. You get the guns close with the electric motor, then crank them onto the target.

Edit: Don't think of the 40mm as a direct fire weapon. It IS, but think of it as a rapid-fire mortar; you lob shells at the enemy, correct, lob a few more. Manual control works fine.

And the .50 cal? Again, manual control is fine. It's more stable and precise than a pintle mount.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 15, 2019

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

That's a pretty reasonable progression: test plates, then empty hulls, then entire vehicles to see if vital equipment falls off on nonpenetrating hits. Obviously you don't skip straight to #3 and shoot it with the biggest gun you have, because then you don't really learn anything.

My understanding is that he wanted to skip to #3 and start with overmatch (stuff that would obviously penetrate, like anti-tank missiles and tank guns).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cessna posted:

Exactly.

And that's why the USMC doesn't want to put TOWs on their APCs, they know that gung-ho grunt captains would think they can use them to go hunt tanks.

This feels like a really dubious argument. It'd be like going "let's take the machine gun off the Ferdinand so people don't use them to fight infantry". "Let's strip the anti-air machine gun from the MBT so they don't chase helicopters". "Let's not issue HE shells to our tank destroyers." "Let's not issue our artillery crew small arms because we don't want them to just charge at the enemy shooting their guns."

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 15, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cessna posted:

That’s a good suggestion, thanks; I’ve tried three times to read master and commander but the nautical vocab puts me off too much. I’m told that you just have to kind of push through it and it eventually starts to click, I might have a better time of it in spoken format than having to go at my own pace. Plus I’m a sucker for salty English sailor accents

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

This feels like a really dubious argument. It'd be like going "let's take the machine gun off the Ferdinand so people don't use them to fight infantry". "Let's strip the anti-air machine gun from the MBT so they don't chase helicopters".

Every system doesn't have to do every job. Do you similarly upbraid big Chinook helicopters for not carrying AMRAAM missiles so they can hunt fighter planes?

The whole point of an AAV is, as it says in the name, Amphibious Assault. It is there to take a LOT of troops from ship to shore in as expedient of a manner as possible. The more jarheads you can haul, the better. If you can haul them around on land after that assault has succeeded, so much the better, but at that point it is a tracked truck, not an IFV. Why make a vehicle into something it isn't?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Agean90 posted:

The one that surprised me most was WW1 submarines having ships dogs on them. Granted, I think they were mainly dogs they picked up from the ships they sank. But still.

U29 rescued a pregnant dog at one point, so they had to meet up with other submarines to hand out puppies.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cessna posted:

Every system doesn't have to do every job. Do you similarly upbraid big Chinook helicopters for not carrying AMRAAM missiles so they can hunt fighter planes?

The whole point of an AAV is, as it says in the name, Amphibious Assault. It is there to take a LOT of troops from ship to shore in as expedient of a manner as possible. The more jarheads you can haul, the better. If you can haul them around on land after that assault has succeeded, so much the better, but at that point it is a tracked truck, not an IFV. Why make a vehicle into something it isn't?

The argument that adding the TOW capability would compromise their core function is fine but an altogether different argument to "well the troops will be dumb and misuse this capability". The ultimate question is whether you expect AAVs to come across tanks in the process of their amphibious assaulting. I dunno, do they?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 15, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

The argument that adding the TOW capability would compromise their core function is fine but an altogether different argument to "well the troops will be dumb and misuse this capability".

No, the two are related.

Putting TOWs on an AAV wouldn't compromise their mission in a mechanical or engineering manner (despite the fact that there really isn't a way to do it) but it is, in the eyes of the USMC, completely unnecessary. And adding them would undoubtedly lead to some sort of mission-creep (hey, we have TOWs now!) so why do it? If a grunt commander wants TOWs, great, they're available - as part of a TOW platoon or carried by helos. Don't try to make the AAV into something it isn't so it can do a job it shouldn't do.

Edit, since you added this:

Fangz posted:

The ultimate question is whether you expect AAVs to come across tanks in the process of their amphibious assaulting. I dunno, do they?

If they do they're dead anyway. They're big lumbering vehicles - again, think "truck with tracks." If the enemy's tanks haven't already been taken out by air/helos/TOW platoons/our tanks things have gone so badly already that you're only fighting over where exactly your corpse will land.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 15, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrBling posted:

The one that surprised me most was WW1 submarines having ships dogs on them. Granted, I think they were mainly dogs they picked up from the ships they sank. But still.

U29 rescued a pregnant dog at one point, so they had to meet up with other submarines to hand out puppies.

Cats also were not heard of on subs. Same origin.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

So what the poo poo is the deal with the hoverboard shown off at that french parade?

The Flyboard Air is an upgraded version of those things that you see that spray out water to do acrobatics, and was invented by (and is so difficult to use it can only be flown by) an olympic athlete

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Continuing with German flares, we see a number of smaller examples. How did some of them function? Which flare was typically used in a triple-layered container? Which flare, and its associated container, was sometimes mixed in with SD2 butterfly bombs? All that and more at the blog!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MrBling posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

FrangibleCover posted:

And the XM8 Armored Gun System, of course, which is exactly what they needed to fulfill the requirement arriving too late for anyone to want it.

The MFP most likely candidate is modernized M8 :toot:

Also the Bradley’s replacement is in the works as the OMFV but after the GCV and FCS along with the fact the AMPV and 109A7 leverage the Bradley chassis I just don’t see anything evolutionary materializing as of right now. It’ll be interesting to see what ends up coming from it though.

There is potential that both MFP and OMFV are based on the Griffin, which is itself a derivative of the British Ajax/the ASCOD.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R45519.pdf

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 16, 2019