Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Godzilla/Criterion announcement next week, possibly, according to a panel Q+A.

e: page snype for the king of kings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

Godzilla/Criterion announcement next week, possibly, according to a panel Q+A.

e: page snype for the king of kings

gently caress yes, finally

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cemetry Gator posted:

Only one thing to note - there's one scene that did not age well, but it's not mean spirited, just not the approach we would take today.

"hello? hello?"
"yes, what is your issue?"
"hello, I've been raped"
"okay when did this happen?"
"last fall"
"last fall? and you're calling now?"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

"hello? hello?"
"yes, what is your issue?"
"hello, I've been raped"
"okay when did this happen?"
"last fall"
"last fall? and you're calling now?"

The huge chunk of bits Jackie tries in the mid point almost lost me, but goddamn the mall fight at the end is absolutely brutal. Even the supporting characters get truly hosed up in that fight and almost every hit made me wince.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Janus is restoring The Cranes Are Flying, which is a wonderful film. Hopefully it's coming to bluray.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

The huge chunk of bits Jackie tries in the mid point almost lost me, but goddamn the mall fight at the end is absolutely brutal. Even the supporting characters get truly hosed up in that fight and almost every hit made me wince.

The movie spins its wheels to an almost painful degree for a while, but the end result gets the viewer into a more relaxed headspace so that when the finale hits it's absolutely BANGIN, like no downtime, absolute nutso, non-stop, don't-try-to-reason-with-me smash fest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s #1000 day lads

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Michael Bay boxset loving finally.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

WONG BOX WHEN

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

#1000 - Ghost Dad

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Edit: gently caress Amazon

The Hitchcock set is outdated anyways.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Bergman's Cinema is $149.99 plus save an additional 20% at checkout on Amazon for Prime Day. It's temporarily out of stock but can still be ordered.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Don't buy from Amazon today, Amazon workers are on strike

https://twitter.com/iww/status/1150768621041438722

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Don't buy from Amazon today, Amazon workers are on strike

https://twitter.com/iww/status/1150768621041438722

Agreed. Buy from B&N instead, especially if you can go in-store to support actual retail.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Don't buy from Amazon

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Holy moly. Here I am, enjoying Swing Time and all of a sudden...we’ll, all I’ll say is don’t watch this one with mixed company lol.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

yah that moment is a fuckin trip

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Couldn't help but tense up when watching that moment in a theater, even if it was mostly empty.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Picked up Dragon Inn over the weekend after the discussion of it in here. I LOVE the sets of King Hu, nobody builds a set like this guy. I feel like the tea house scene in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was specifically designed to look like a King Hu set.

Also, am I crazy or did Tarantino take a bunch of stuff from Dragon Inn and use it in The Hateful Eight?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Brexit the Frog posted:

yah that moment is a fuckin trip

Can someone spoil this, because I'm never going to get through my backlog and wish list let alone get around to an Astaire musical

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Can someone spoil this, because I'm never going to get through my backlog and wish list let alone get around to an Astaire musical

Blackface

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Picked up Dragon Inn over the weekend after the discussion of it in here. I LOVE the sets of King Hu, nobody builds a set like this guy. I feel like the tea house scene in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was specifically designed to look like a King Hu set.

Also, am I crazy or did Tarantino take a bunch of stuff from Dragon Inn and use it in The Hateful Eight?

Fate of Lee Khan has an inn that's just as good. And that's a good point, I haven't thought much about his sets lately, instead getting caught up in how amazing he is on location. Also the editing. Always the editing with King Hu, he really is one of the all time greats.

The cool thing for me about watching Crouching Tiger nearly 20 years late is having seen a lot in the meantime and noticing how so much of that movie plays like a tribute to King Hu, it's really great. Especially Cheng Pei-pei's character and her arc.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It's about A Touch of Zen, but here is Ang Lee talking about how King Hu influenced him on Crouching Tiger, and Chinese cinema in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86B5_lPOX0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

L'Eclisse did the same thing! How many Criterion Collection movies have surprise blackface?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Electronico6 posted:

It's about A Touch of Zen, but here is Ang Lee talking about how King Hu influenced him on Crouching Tiger, and Chinese cinema in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86B5_lPOX0

Thanks, that's a good interview. Looks like that channel also has the David Cairns visual essay from the Eureka release of Dragon Inn which is also worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFeDv5TwIgQ

edit: rewatching this and he brings up Tarantino a few times and briefly speculates on his expectation of Dragon Inn's influence on the upcoming Hateful Eight

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 16, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The setup is just too identical for it to be a coincidence, especially given Tarantino's known influences.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

via the Criterion reddit, they just switched out the clip on Haxan's page for an HD version.

https://www.criterion.com/films/352-h-xan

Upgrade incoming?

edit: https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1151249058834653184?s=21

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 16, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great podcast on Home Theater Forum with Criterion's technical director Lee Kline...

Highlights
Likely getting a Bergman-style Fellini box in 2020
Now Voyager and Matewan are in the works.
Some missing footage was found for The Cameraman from a 16mm collector's print
Dersu Uzala and The Thief of Bagdad '40 held up by elements issues, but they're trying
Greek films in the works
UHD not likely
Possibly single releases from Olympics box set
Some of their 4K masters have HDR masters ready to go, but meant for non-physical

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Great podcast on Home Theater Forum with Criterion's technical director Lee Kline...

Highlights

UHD not likely

Some of their 4K masters have HDR masters ready to go, but meant for non-physical

Nooooooo

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1151500507808260096

I hope you're all ready for them to not announce any Wong Kar-wai today

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
1000 will just be a little box filled with pieces of Wong Kar-wai's armpit hair.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That being said, I would like the uncut version of The Grandmaster, but Criterion can always use more martial arts films (Drunken Master? Any of the Zhang Yimou films?)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

That being said, I would like the uncut version of The Grandmaster, but Criterion can always use more martial arts films (Drunken Master? Any of the Zhang Yimou films?)

Yes, please and gently caress Miramax forever. They've released so many samurai movies and only two wuxia movies and the police stories. There are only 6 Hong Kong movies in the collection, 3 are out of print, and it was over ten years between their release of Chungking Express and Police Story.

If you want Drunken Master specifically, the Masters of Cinema release is fantastic and region free. https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Drunken-Master-Blu-ray/170983/

edit: got an order in the mail yesterday so I took a minute to stack up my Hong Kong stuff from Criterion next to Eureka. Anyone here who got excited about Police Story and wants to own these movies on physical media should really consider a region free player. Criterion is really far behind. The Eurekas are all from the last couple years, new restorations. And they also have a three-film Sammo Hung set out in a couple months and according to blu-ray.com will be putting out the original Zu Warriors. Iron Monkey is the real movie, not the Miramaxed bullshit cut, the Hou and Kurosawa is just there to keep everything upright but they are also movies you'd expect Criterion to be interested in that have no US release.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 17, 2019

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Criterion is probably not going to announce anything related to Wong Kar Wai until he is done with his 4K restorations of his films and their theatrical tour planned for 2020.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Why is Drunken Master region free and none of the other ones are, I'm going to have to buy a region free player just to see a version of Wheels on Meals that doesn't look like rear end.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jackie Chan box set when, Criterion?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Why is Drunken Master region free and none of the other ones are, I'm going to have to buy a region free player just to see a version of Wheels on Meals that doesn't look like rear end.

Per the region lock message on the disc it's at the request of the licensor. Of the ones I have, Drunken Master, Mad Detective, and Tokyo Sonata are region-free. Early Hou, Cure, and the Troll collection all bring up a region lock screen, but pressing the menu button takes you right to the menu and the movies play fine (on my us ps3). The others are properly region locked.

RichterIX posted:

I kind of miss the old days where most DVD players had that One Obscure Trick to make them region free. I had an old Toshiba that had a remote code you could use to play VCDs which I used exactly once, I can't even remember why.

There's a trick with some blu-ray players, look up the 'top menu' trick. It doesn't work with all of them and I don't know how consistent it is with some of them, I'm sure there's a list somewhere. I have a Panasonic UHD player that works great for that. Put the disc in, press 'stop' when it's at the region lock screen, then hit 'top menu'. Takes me straight to the disc menu, first time every time. Easier than switching regions on a normal multi-region modded player, but less compatible overall. Works on every Eureka or Arrow disc I've tried, but doesn't work on my copy of My Blueberry Nights. Does not work for dvds.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 17, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I kind of miss the old days where most DVD players had that One Obscure Trick to make them region free. I had an old Toshiba that had a remote code you could use to play VCDs which I used exactly once, I can't even remember why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
https://twitter.com/criterion/status/1151623670739193862?s=21

They are being real teases about this. Hey guys I get it, waiting on someone to email you back is a pain sometimes.