Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

This is some dumbass poo poo.

His idea ain’t worth poo poo if he’s this dumb.

Steve Jobs literally died because he was dumb as poo poo but Apple is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For setting a potentially invasive rule about staying at my apartment?

ESH
Don't gently caress in your friend's bed unless they tell you that you can, but that's not a green light to make a request for details
Don't call your friend at 2 am with some cock and bull story because you can't bring home some rando from the bar to your parents' house
I suspect this guy is creepy and also thought he was being clever. Don't be clever. Just say, don't lie to me about why you want to stay here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats such a load bearing "can" that Dracula is trying to get him to talk to OSHA

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I (20F) found my underwear and vibrator hidden in my brothers (17M) room

quote:

This morning I woke up and I went to go masturbate before work so I opened my nightstand drawer and panicked when I couldn't find my vibrator. I always always always make sure it ends up in the same drawer, same spot hidden under some stuff. I'm discreet about using my vibrator and I was sure nobody in the house even knows I had it. When I couldn't find it this morning my mind began racing, the only person home all day yesterday was my brother. I had used it yesterday morning so I know it was there, the only logical suspect would be my brother.

He often stashes dirty dishes that he's too lazy to bring downstairs and candy in his room so I wasn't surprised to find all of that. What I wasn't expecting was a drawer full of my dirty underwear. My vibrator wasn't in that drawer though. I almost walked away to search my room again but something told me to keep looking and the only place left to look was his bed. That's when I found my vibrator and more underwear stashed under his pillows.

I came to the realization that something similar has happened before. My mom returned a piece of my lingerie one time. I had asked where she found it since I usually hand wash them all. She just brushed me off and said don't worry about it. I never question it but now I'm starting to wonder if it was also in my brothers room.

He's away at summer school today and I haven't taken anything back because I honestly don't know how to handle this. I thought about just a quick text saying "Hey, don't take things that aren't yours" and leaving it at that. My mom already dealt with it once apparently and I really don't want to involve her again as she's generally not the best parent

TL;DR: My brother had a drawer full of my dirty underwear and more underwear and my vibrator under his pillow

quote:

In a perfect world that's exactly what I'd do but honestly I'm really trying to have this blow over really quietly. I want to make sure he knows that this is completely unacceptable but I'm not trying to make some whole big scene and make more of a mess. I'm super sieved out. In all honestly I never would've found the underwear, I would've just thought I lost them or the dryer ate them and bought new ones. The vibrator is the only reason I noticed

Oh honey no

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [42M] husband [33F] doesn’t trust my mom [65F] to watch our kid [2.5F]

quote:

We’ve been together 16 years. My mom can be kind of a flake. She was fine when I was a kid, but I think after I became an adult, my mom got an attitude of “my job a a parent is done, this relationship is now a friendship that I can flit in and out of whenever I want, and now it's time to be my true self." So she's much more into new agey/hippy stuff, she sent healing crystals when I was in the hospital, she listens to psychics, she has a side business reading people’s astrology charts, has some food restrictions, etc. A few times, she has gone on “retreats” for weeks and I’ll have to call my stepdad to make sure she’s still alive. She can be a little bit of a narcissist. The biggest incident was when she decided very last minute that she was no longer going to pay for our wedding. I will say that as an adult, if I need emotional support or advice, I call my MIL, not my mom.

BUT when it comes to our daughter, she’s an attentive and pragmatic grandparent. She lives out of town, so she's usually coming to stay for a few days at a time or we're visiting her. She's pretty much a textbook good grandparent who does exactly as she's asked to do and doesn't question our decisions. For example, I don’t think she would vaccinate if she had kids now, but she has never said a single thing about my daughter being vaccinated, even when she was present for one of my daughter’s first vaccinations. When she was babysitting and my daughter was injured (could have happened to anyone, no one holds her responsible), she plied her with Tylenol just as we would have done.

Now that she's getting a little older, we're more comfortable leaving our daughter overnight. We're planning an anniversary trip but we can't seem to decide who will take our daughter.

The most logical person for that would be my mom, but my husband fundamentally doesn’t trust her with our daughter. I think part of it is actual parental concern, but I also think part of it is his resentment towards her on my behalf. He won’t admit it, but I’m pretty sure there’s a part of him that wants to “punish” her for not being a better mom towards me. I think he feels like she doesn't really deserve unlimited access. I tell him about the good things my mom did for me when I was a kid, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. Like I said she's *never* flaked on our daughter's care or tried to undermine us. We have several nanny cams (she does not know this), and there isn't a second of footage where she's shown that she can't be trusted.

We're actually closer to his parents and my dad/stepmom, but due to distance/resources/responsibilities/health issues, none of them are in a position to drop everything to fly across the country and take care of our daughter for a weekend. To be frank, we just don't have any other family members or friends we would be comfortable with leaving our daughter with for multiple nights.

He would rather hire a professional, but I'm definitely not okay with someone I barely know staying in our house for multiple nights with our daughter. And it’s not like we have unlimited childcare money. We live in a high cost-of-living city, and my mom is willing to do the job for free.

TL;DR: Husband doesn't trust my mom to babysit our daughter overnight, partially because of baggage in my relationship with her.

Top comment:

quote:

i don’t think i’d pay for the wedding of a guy who started dating my 16 year old when he was 27 either, to be fair.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Just found out my boyfriend was an incel — reposted from AITA

quote:

(Deleted from AITA so reposting here.)

I met my boyfriend through a local DnD Facebook page. We started talking every day over Messenger and pretty soon we were meeting up to continue our conversations in person. We had a lot of stuff in common, and I thought he was really funny, and I just enjoyed his company. We started dating and we’ve been dating for nearly a year. We moved in together in May.

However, yesterday I found out from one of our DnD friends that he used to comment on r/Braincels . He brought it up in a “good for him for moving on” way but holy gently caress. I only knew about incels from the guy that killed all those people a few years back. I managed to get the friend to tell me the account name (he got really uncomfortable and asked me not to tell my boyfriend) and although he never said anything violent, my boyfriend repeatedly called girls derogatory names, said we were inferior, we were whores, we would never date a short ugly man like him, etc. His last post he mentioned that he was talking to a “foid” and that she was actually showing interest. I think he meant me.

He was going through a really hard time this past year, not in a good mental place, but I don’t think that excuses all the sexist and gross things he said about women. He’s never shown any misogyny towards me or anyone else, but how do I know he doesn’t still feel that way? Would I be the rear end in a top hat for dumping him over something that happened pre-our relationship? Should I give him a chance to explain? I love him and I don’t know if I can be objective if he asks me to sympathize with him. But I also don’t think I can continue to be with him knowing he things I’m not deserving of the same respect as men.

Added info from last post: he’s never done anything I consider a red flag, but I also have been blind to warning signs in past relationships, and he never told me about his misogynistic history. I feel like my trust has been breached.

Do I end things? Give him the chance to talk? Or give him a chance?

edit

quote:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=foid
A term for a woman used by incels. Shortened form of femoid (female humanoid).

Pinecone Sample fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 15, 2019

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [42M] husband [33F] doesn’t trust my mom [65F] to watch our kid [2.5F]

Top comment:

quote:

i don’t think i’d pay for the wedding of a guy who started dating my 16 year old when he was 27 either, to be fair. 

Not that it changes anything but he was 25 when she was 16. Still bad but you don't have to abuse math to make it look worse.

I don't trust my mom with my kids but that's because she's a slap happy senile alcoholic.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pinecone Sample posted:

Just found out my boyfriend was an incel — reposted from AITA

Do I end things? Give him the chance to talk? Or give him a chance?

Nope, sorry. You picked it up, you have to keep it until you can dispose of it properly.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pinecone Sample posted:

I wonder if there's a r/girlsgonesalad
Hot babes slathered in mayonnaise

You're thinking of r/girlssalad. r/girlsgonesalad is girls playing with lettuce.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fight Man is getting ready to bulk up!

My beginning stats.

quote:

I just got out of the gym for the first time in my life.

Literally I just walked up to the biggest person in the gym I saw and asked him to show me some thing.

I am 20 years old. I am 106 pounds (just weighed myself before working out) and I am 5’10. I am a guy.

I think at least that my stats are kinda embarrassing. Here’s how they are.

I one arm curl 10 pounds max but only 3 times a set so I do 10 of the 5 pound and then switch to 3 of the 10s. I can’t overhand press the bar (45). I can’t do a push up yet. I can’t bench the bar yet. I can’t do any pull ups.

I only went for arms today so that’s all I know so far but honestly my arms are extremely tired and I don’t even know if I’ll go back to the gym. The muscle guy was horrified with my body when I took off my shirt and told me I need to eat more.

Trust me guys I do eat. I eat a ton. I just can’t get weight. I don’t care if it’s muscle or fat I gain I just wanna gain something. I eat literally all day every day and I go for a short walk in the mornings but other than that I lay on my couch all day and eat all kinds of stuff.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

From https://interpersonal.stackexchange.com

How do I tell my girlfriend she's been buying me books by the wrong author for the last nine months?

quote:

Help! For the last nine months my girlfriend has been buying me books by the wrong author, fully believing that she's treating me to work by my favourite writer (who incidentally she believes is a pervert!).

Some context: on our first date I told my current girlfriend that my favourite writer is the Japanese author Haruki Murakami. We were talking about our passions and I mentioned that I'd spent a lot of time as a teenager at the local library, reading whatever I could get my hands on. Eventually, I said, I stumbled onto good old Haruki, and my life was changed forever.

It seems that just the 'Murakami' portion stuck in her brain, however. Fast forward to a couple weeks later. It was probably our 5th or 6th date. She was practically giddy when she showed up, telling me she had a surprise for me. After several minutes of playing the 'guess' game she gave me a hint: it was a book by my favourite author.

Man was I excited. It felt great knowing she'd honed in on something we'd talked about on our first date. Not only that, but I didn't actually own any of Murakami's novels in physical form, so I really was thrilled.

My face fell when she handed me the book. It was '69' by Ryu Murakami. Both writers are Japanese, but their work is totally different. She was so pleased with herself, though, that I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth: that she'd bought me a book by the wrong Murakami. Worse still, after she gave me the book, she started to make comments about how my taste in books is 'really weird' and even 'disturbing'. Turns out she read the book before giving it to me, and she hated it! She thought it was disgusting and immoral.

Somehow the conversation kept coming back to the book throughout the night, as though her impression of me had been changed by learning that my favourite author was this guy Ryu. It all culminated in her saying that she thought he was a pervert for writing so much about erections (incidentally Ryu Murakami isn't a pervert, he's just a bit edgy and my gf had up until 69 only really read Western YA and some mainstream fantasy).

Because I appreciated the gesture I decided to let it all blow over. I assumed that her interest in what books I'm into would be fleeting, and besides, I didn't even know how long we'd last together. It was early days.

Two months later we were still together, and my birthday was coming up. On the morning of, almost the exact same situation happened. Girlfriend was stoked, gave me my present, and it was a copy of Piercing by Ryu Murakami. Again, she kept making comments about how weird I was to like his stuff. And to make matters worse, we were out for lunch with my sister when it happened, and she's not a reader at all, so she had no idea what was going on or why I was essentially being outed as 'being into weird poo poo' at the cafe table.

Since then, my girlfriend has bought me a new Ryu Murakami novel every month without fail, and it's at the point where the lie is so big that I honestly don't know how to tell her or what to do. We've been together for nine months now!

So what I'm asking is: How can I tell my girlfriend the truth? I appreciate that her actions are rooted in generosity but she constantly tells people that I have a 'sick and twisted' taste in writers and I think some people are taking her seriously. I don't want to hurt her feelings but I also feel like she needs to know. I really like her and plan on keep seeing her for the indefinite future but this feels like something that's going to eventually catch up to us.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tactlessbastard posted:

Not that it changes anything but he was 25 when she was 16. Still bad but you don't have to abuse math to make it look worse.

I don't trust my mom with my kids but that's because she's a slap happy senile alcoholic.

There was a ridiculous derail in the comments about the math on that comment. Some said 'Eh, point still stands', but some brave crusaders were going 'Yeop, r/relationships, always demonizing men!'

Surprisingly, the age of consent rules guys had apparently not found it yet.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

Fight Man is getting ready to bulk up!

My beginning stats.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for using the money I won in a lottery to finance my own dream vacation across Europe/Asia besides on my kid’s student loan debt?

I cannot imagine hitting a windfall like this and not using it on my kids' education. Student debt is this face-sucking disaster monster that turns what little money new grads have into ash during the years that are their only goddamn shot at getting a decent retirement built in time. Those years are crucial. The money put away in those first 5-10 years counts for so much by the end of the 40.

I hear y'all, and I get his desire to go on his magical trip, but if it were me I'd be making at least some of her debt go away.

I see this poo poo with other parents who make more than we do, where they justify their new cars while shortchanging their kids' 529 as "well they'll have skin in the game" or "well I had student debt it built character." Bullshit. It doesn't "build character," it's wholly unnecessary hardship. gently caress this country and the mentalities it fosters. Get your kids schooled without debt if you've got the funds.

And don't give me that "she should have gone to community college," if she got into Dartmouth then going to loving Dartmouth was the right move.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for sneakily selling my stepsons nintendo switch behind his back?

The part most offensive to me as the Nintendo thread OP is him saying they don't make games for it anymore.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 15, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheScott2K posted:

I cannot imagine hitting a windfall like this and not using it on my kids' education. Student debt is this face-sucking disaster monster that turns what little money new grads have into ash during the years that are their only goddamn shot at getting a decent retirement built in time. Those years are crucial. The money put away in those first 5-10 years counts for so much by the end of the 40.

I hear y'all, and I get his desire to go on his magical trip, but if it were me I'd be making at least some of her debt go away.

I see this poo poo with other parents who make more than we do, where they justify their new cars while shortchanging their kids' 529 as "well they'll have skin in the game" or "well I had student debt it built character." Bullshit. It doesn't "build character," it's wholly unnecessary hardship. gently caress this country and the mentalities it fosters. Get your kids schooled without debt if you've got the funds.

And don't give me that "she should have gone to community college," if she got into Dartmouth then going to loving Dartmouth was the right move.

She got into Dartmouth

...and graduated with less debt than the average car loan. Sure that's still idk 350 a month or so that's not going into a 401k but c'mon.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

She got into Dartmouth

...and graduated with less debt than the average car loan. Sure that's still idk 350 a month or so that's not going into a 401k but c'mon.

Tbf that's even more reason to pay for it. She probably worked hard, got into a good school and managed to do it with a smaller amount of debt.

Theoretically people should want their kids to have better lives than they had. The "I was crushed under the boot of capitalism and you should be too" mentality is really toxic and weird.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Koalas March posted:

Tbf that's even more reason to pay for it. She probably worked hard, got into a good school and managed to do it with a smaller amount of debt.

Theoretically people should want their kids to have better lives than they had. The "I was crushed under the boot of capitalism and you should be too" mentality is really toxic and weird.

Nobody's saying she has to pay loans because they did, they're saying it's not a significant burden for a Dartmouth graduate with Dartmouth connections and Dartmouth resume weight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao Dartmouth

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's where one of the baristas where I get coffee went. Job market!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Koalas March posted:

much like the speed of light or gravity, "misery loves company" is a universal constant

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
29k in student debt is minor. Dad seems foolish with money, but it is his prerogative.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

29k in student debt is minor. Dad seems foolish with money, but it is his prerogative.

It only seems minor because of how much we've normalized this poo poo. 29k in the red the day you graduate is a disaster in the making.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The part most offensive to me as the Nintendo thread OP is him saying they don't make games for it anymore.

:what: How the hell did I miss that part; the console is two years old, you turd. How the hell would someone think "alright, must be done by now"?

e: oh lol it's the world's least convincing lie

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 15, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

It only seems minor because of how much we've normalized this poo poo. 29k in the red the day you graduate is a disaster in the making.

What's the catch here? 25000€ (which I guess is something like 400 000 000 USD?) is normal here and we have "free" University :confused:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TheScott2K posted:

I'm not trying to argue there isn't a student loan debt problem, but 29k isn't a mortgage payment size payment. Dad should really save and invest the windfall, but he's determined to spend it all at once.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

HMS Beagle posted:

AITA for sneakily selling my stepsons nintendo switch behind his back?

Definitely the rear end in a top hat. The kid is 12 and he told him “they’re not making any more games” for the Switch. The kid knows he’s full of poo poo and a bad liar. The teenage years are going to be tough.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Lottery dad is like Switch dad. Both are selfish, both have no idea that they are selfish because they are so selfish no one else matters to them.

Switch dad knows about steam but believes the Switch has no new games coming. Uh huh, sure. "I didn't spend it on myself, I bought a game for my escapist lifestyle" Selfish and a huge rear end in a top hat.

Lottery dad seriously sees this money as JUST his. IMO, when spouses separate finances that way, they are just waiting till the day the eventually break up. And remember, leaving his whole family for that whole time, cause of all the hell they've caused him over the years by being his family. gently caress him, selfish and also huge rear end in a top hat.

And 29K is loving tons of debt, so gently caress off with that BS.

EDIT: that's right, a mortgage payment for a kid fresh out of highschool.
VVV He knows it, what I mean is, his son knows it too.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 15, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Switch stepdad doesn't think they aren't making new games for it, that was just the 'excuse' he gave the stepson for why he sold it. No way he'd fess up to 'I sold it to fund my waifu game habit.'

(I just assume it's something as dumb and awful as a waifu game, since he refuses to say what game)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm not trying to argue there isn't a student loan debt problem, but 29k isn't a mortgage payment size payment. Dad should really save and invest the windfall, but he's determined to spend it all at once.

He isn't, though. He probably won't spend all the money, he just wants to keep the whole pot "in case" until after his literally first vacation ever.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

He isn't, though. He probably won't spend all the money, he just wants to keep the whole pot "in case" until after his literally first vacation ever.

Everyone who travels without a budget comes home broke. He's going to blow it all on restaurant meals, car rentals, "drinks" for women he doesn't want to believe are sex workers, and hotels.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Beachcomber posted:

Without his wife, because he doesn't want to wait til she can go with him for the whole trip.

Not selfish at all no.

I guess the wife went on tons of vacations without him.

EDIT: Money breaks peoples brains, hell the idea of having money breaks them.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 15, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Without his wife, because he doesn't want to wait til she can go with him for the whole trip.

Not selfish at all no.

If he's never had a vacation then the kids definitely haven't either.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/DieselbrainArt/status/1150468132949168128

I feel like all 3 posts here fit into this thread

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

My search skills have totally failed me, could someone please post at least the first few entries on the Fight Man saga if you have them?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This would be Fight-Man's handle on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/IJustwantmygirl/posts/

AITA for “assaulting” customer at work while awaiting court date for a previous assault?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
He should give it to his other kid who doesn’t have the advantages of a Dartmouth education.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Not selfish at all no.

EDIT: Money breaks peoples brains, hell the idea of having money breaks them.

The average American will never, ever be able to get that much time off in a block, unless it's unpaid. And their bosses might discover that her position was unnecessary.

This guy can only get that amount of time because he's quitting one job before moving to a different company 2 months later.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Beachcomber posted:

The average American will never, ever be able to get that much time off in a block, unless it's unpaid. And their bosses might discover that her position was unnecessary.

This guy can only get that amount of time because he's quitting one job before moving to a different company 2 months later.
The average American can't get that much time off work after having a baby.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Grape posted:

Holden: You reach down, you put the cheese away and put your hand on the keg and a red plastic cup.
Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden, or do they write them down for you?
Holden: You start to guzzle down Pabst like a frat douche and the cheese is being ignored, it's really good and you're not eating it.
Leon: What do you mean I'm not eating it??

:vince: