Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Unoriginal Name posted:

how do you feel about tax breaks

I'm generally against them because centrist libs have gotten so enamored with them they think breaks are the only way to create any new type of incentive or aid. which is bad for two reasons

1. poor people don't pay any taxes so it leaves you no way to help them. not to mention the arc of tax breaks always bends toward disproportionately benefitting the rich
2. it's more noticeable and popular to just give people money. even if it's mathematically the same to give someone $100 and to subtract $100 from the amount they owe you, they will like you more for the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
plus, like everything the "New Democrats" do, it's the result of being shook

third way guy: l-look! we're cutting taxes, see? you can't call us the tax and spend party anymore!

GOP: you're the tax and spend party

third way guy:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

The fact that there's five openings in the data entry department and two hundred people applying for them, and the pay can't be lowered any further because it's already at local minimum wage with no benefits, so they're just applying all sorts of barely-applicable measures in order to whittle down the applicant pool to something small enough that they can pretend they're actually doing real decision-making in order to satisfy bosses who demand only the best of the best disposable worker drones.

The degree requirements are just yet another symptom of our increasingly dysfunctional economy and the slow progressive breakdown of the key assumptions it relies on. In an economy that's no longer able to employ everyone, our political classes have attempted to avoid that uncomfortable fact by focusing more and more on dividing American workers into castes, which tend to correlate with class but aren't completely tied to it. That way, unemployment is concentrated into a distinct group, and they can then prevent most unrest from that group by distracting them with offers of "access" and "opportunity" to move into the more employable castes. Still, that only works for so long, and the system is starting to fray at the seams as the underlying problem continues to worsen.

Ultimately, it's not really about degrees. It's about an economy that keeps needing fewer and fewer workers to do real work, and the fact that capitalism desperately needs workers to believe that unemployment is the fault of the unemployed workers rather than the fault of the capitalist system.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bpopken/status/1054350949739827202

So I guess we're agreeing that degree requirements are bullshit and the fact that the guy who willfully misinterpreted that as anti-intellectualism is free and clear while people who treated him with scorn got probated is loving disgusting

Sixers are a slap on the wrist but that dude didn't even get that and it's kinda hosed up that just straight up lying about people's arguments is considered good posting

B B
Dec 1, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I guess we're agreeing that degree requirements are bullshit and the fact that the guy who willfully misinterpreted that as anti-intellectualism is free and clear while people who treated him with scorn got probated is loving disgusting

Sixers are a slap on the wrist but that dude didn't even get that and it's kinda hosed up that just straight up lying about people's arguments is considered good posting

Party Plane Jones is a pretty lovely moderator, yes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Its Coke posted:

1. poor people don't pay any taxes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Its Coke posted:

I'm generally against them because centrist libs have gotten so enamored with them they think breaks are the only way to create any new type of incentive or aid. which is bad for two reasons

1. poor people don't pay any taxes

The gently caress is that line on my pay stub then

I get sweet gently caress all back, too. Even make just a little too.much for eitc. This year I was over the line but a hundred bucks

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

it means you aren't poor

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Typo posted:

it means you aren't poor

Lucky Ducky

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I get sweet gently caress all back, too. Even make just a little too.much for eitc. This year I was over the line but a hundred bucks

That is a good point. The poor pay lots of taxes, just not much in federal income tax.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ill bet they have a fridge with at least 1 edible item in it too

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 15, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
One of the dumbest things about Numbers Fuckstein types is that they think that making poo poo more complicated for no reason is somehow a sign of smarts and intellectualism, when it's in fact the very opposite. Also having a college degree doesn't make you a goddamn intellectual, as the entire Beltway bubble lanyard corps amply demonstrates.

Of course, the real reason why they start yelling about "anti-intellectualism" when you point out poo poo like this is that they know that they have no real arguments to defend their busted-rear end system, so they have to fall back on some dumbshit credentialism in lieu of actually demonstrating any real knowledge or reasoning.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

capitalism is breaking down in america lmao

Fixed that for ya.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StealthArcher posted:

ill bet he has a fridge with at least 1 edible item in it too

They not he

Trabisnikof posted:

That is a good point. The poor pay lots of taxes, just not much in federal income tax.

Also yeah income tax isnt the only thing, sales tax is hella regressive let's not forget

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

One of the dumbest things about Numbers Fuckstein types is that they think that making poo poo more complicated for no reason is somehow a sign of smarts and intellectualism, when it's in fact the very opposite. Also having a college degree doesn't make you a goddamn intellectual, as the entire Beltway bubble lanyard corps amply demonstrates.

Of course, the real reason why they start yelling about "anti-intellectualism" when you point out poo poo like this is that they know that they have no real arguments to defend their busted-rear end system, so they have to fall back on some dumbshit credentialism in lieu of actually demonstrating any real knowledge or reasoning.

life and society really works very simply if you think about it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
why do we even fund institutions that just create additional lanyards and Numbers Fuckstein types

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Very not mad of you.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

when I say poor I mean below the poverty line

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

life and society really works very simply if you think about it

Typo posted:

why do we even fund institutions that just create additional lanyards and Numbers Fuckstein types

I see my words hit a little too close to home for ya lol.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

I see my words hit a little too close to home for ya lol.

I don't have a college degree

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
but yeah I was talking about federal taxes. poor people do pay state and local sales taxes, which is why sales taxes are bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Its Coke posted:

when I say poor I mean below the poverty line

You're a moron then. I make 15k a year. I'm definitely poor despite being above the federal poverty line.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Typo posted:

Most monarchists aint kings either.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
okay "very poor" people. there are people who are unable to receive any assistance from tax breaks but desperately need assistance, was my point

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Its Coke posted:

okay "very poor" people. there are people who are unable to receive any assistance from tax breaks but desperately need assistance, was my point

Yeah thats still me

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

StealthArcher posted:

Most monarchists aint kings either.

there was this one king who tattooed "death to kings" on himself

pretty cool dude if you ask me

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Didnt abdicate and go witcher 2, not that cool.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

Numbers Fuckstein types

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

Yea, I noticed.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yea, I noticed.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Numbers Fuckstein types

:thunk:

something about the name choice.....

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah thats still me

that just reinforces my point. even for poor people like you who do pay taxes a break wouldn't be sufficient because the maximum someone could get would be about $300/year

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So because of that stupid New Republic article, the climate forum they had been preparing is now in jeopardy

https://twitter.com/emorwee/status/1150759130065526784?s=21

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

theblackw0lf posted:

So because of that stupid New Republic article, the climate forum they had been preparing is now in jeopardy

it would've largely been a waste of time anyway

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1150795526272618496?s=21

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

theblackw0lf posted:

Why? Did TNR fund it or something?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we all just take a moment to recognize that "numbers fuckstein" is a not-clever way of describing a concept of dubious utility?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

Can we all just take a moment to recognize that "numbers fuckstein" is a not-clever way of describing a concept of dubious utility?

you're overthinking it i think

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mellow Seas posted:

I think it's a pretty good way of dismissively summing up the pernicious Democrat belief that loving around with tax rebates and means tested tax advantage savings accounts is good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mellow Seas posted:

Calm down, Mr. Fuckstein.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like, when Elizabeth Warren unveils her big new plan and it's a website where you type in your personal information and a computer tells you how much your monthly student loan payments would be reduced, that's some Numbers Fuckstein poo poo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

You do know that this is the laziest and most cowardly way of trying to get people to agree with you, right?

Also calling somebody a Numbers Fuckstein clearly is both a funny and accurate way of describing someone infested by a certain kind of lanyard brain worms, which is proven by how mad and incessantly whiny the Numbers Fucksteins get when you call them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Like, when Elizabeth Warren unveils her big new plan and it's a website where you type in your personal information and a computer tells you how much your monthly student loan payments would be reduced, that's some Numbers Fuckstein poo poo.

Bernie's, on the other hand, is cool as poo poo