Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Ok, ive seen this in like 3 different places on the forums in the last month, wtf is up with hardcore lefties veering into literal spellcasting magic? Is it some greater internet thing that im not aware of? Is it Marianne Williamson? Is there a new strain of weed out?

Ask Alan Moore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1qACd0wHd0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
If magic wasn't real Donald Trump wouldn't be president

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/LivvyFanon/status/1150575095611396096

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ok, ive seen this in like 3 different places on the forums in the last month, wtf is up with hardcore lefties veering into literal spellcasting magic? Is it some greater internet thing that im not aware of? Is it Marianne Williamson? Is there a new strain of weed out?

Chaos magick and occult practices are a thing. It was developed in the 70s and Alan Moore & grant morrison are practitioners. Last podcast on the left did a decent intro series on right hand path left hand path and chaos magick.

The bassist from blondie also just wrote a book on trump’s ascension and chaos magick.

:pseudo:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't know if it's fair to pin chaos magick nonsense on white people but it definitely feels like white nonsense

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s pretty much the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

Alan Moore & grant morrison are practitioners

It amuses me that there's two famous British comic writer chaos wizards, one is hairy, one is bald, and neither of them like eachother very much

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ambitious Spider posted:

Chaos magick and occult practices are a thing. It was developed in the 70s and Alan Moore & grant morrison are practitioners. Last podcast on the left did a decent intro series on right hand path left hand path and chaos magick.

The bassist from blondie also just wrote a book on trump’s ascension and chaos magick.

I know Alan Moore does it, but he's Alan Moore, and hes been doing it for 30 years. How'd it pop into being as a weird fad for the far left community, in 2019?

My theory is that people are realizing we are well and truly hosed, with no realistic fix in sight. They're retreating into pure fantasy, but as the right has largely co-opted american christianity as a tribal signifier, leftists have to go elsewhere. So instead of taking oxy and buying angel statues off qvc, they get real high, draw a diagram, and, uh... jerk off on it a bunch, if i understand correctly???

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I scribble little symbols on the backs of old receipts, and each symbol corresponds to a set of exercise I just did. Like a small circle is 5 kettlebell swings with a 40 kg bell, a + is 10 with a 20 kg one. Infinity symbol is overhead press. etc.

Maybe magic doesn't work but at least got in some exercise while doing it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chitin posted:

Wincing with embarrassment-by-proxy at this post.

see? beware, unbelievers, lest you be similarly hexed.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

My theory is that people are realizing we are well and truly hosed, with no realistic fix in sight. They're retreating into pure fantasy, but as the right has largely co-opted american christianity as a tribal signifier, leftists have to go elsewhere. So instead of taking oxy and buying angel statues off qvc, they get real high, draw a diagram, and, uh... jerk off on it a bunch, if i understand correctly???

Basically. Though I think you can have sex too as long as you think About the diagram. I’m not an expert by any means. Same with Williamson support. It’s woowoo nonsense but mostly positive so let’s meme her into the whitehouse using chaos magick.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I know Alan Moore does it, but he's Alan Moore, and hes been doing it for 30 years. How'd it pop into being as a weird fad for the far left community, in 2019?

I'm pretty sure occultism, neo-paganism, etc. has been somewhat popular among the american left for a few decades now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The first "leftist" reaction is to deny religion, because it is synonymous with christianity. The next step is going, who said the mystical is synonymous with christianity?

I'm not gonna believe in Jesus, because he is right wing. Instead, I'm gonna read a comic book and believe in this wizard guy. That's better, right? :angel:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

doverhog posted:

I'm not gonna believe in Jesus, because he is right wing.

I wasn't raised Christian and am not one now but I don't think this is correct?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That was a facetious statement, about how Christianity is perceived, or what it has become. Jesus' actual teachings have almost nothing to do with mainstream christianity today.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
actually if jesus were alive today he'd watch nascar

doverhog
May 31, 2013

He would've been shot by an IDF soldier.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The little "k" on the end of "magic" is like a dagger through my embarrassment gland.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

If Christ were to appear before the President, and the President didn't know who He was, the President would absolutely want Him out of America. I don't have a doubt about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/sapphixy/status/1150820184128655362?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Considering he'd be brown he'd probably be shot on sight

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trump would absolutely have Jesus deported even if he knew exactly who he is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Trump would absolutely have Jesus deported even if he knew exactly who he is.

Every single tweet would refer to Him as "Oily Josh"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ambitious Spider posted:

Wait if the latest flavor is still talking about the paths and magick, it's derived out of Thelema which Crowley got opium high and poo poo out to have some new rules at his dinner parties and later turned into a pyramid scheme when his landed Englishman money started running out.

At points it's very self helpy (which I guess helped with the pyramid scheme, if you send me $500 I promise your love and will is going to grow immensely) and also has very little filters so the rocket scientist hoping to harness enough love to summon Gaeae the sexy earth goddess is admitted next to the guy hoping this is hopefully like the counterculture version of the Mason's so I'm not surprised it's back, but what a history in the 21st century.

Those two people I mention being admitted are real people and also one of them is L Ron.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Aleister Crowley tells a joke:

How do you help a man plagued by invisible rats?

Give him a box filled with invisible ferrets.

Also, as far as I know, Moore has never said what he did is "chaos magick". That's a specific concept he doesn't follow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Phy posted:

Every single tweet would refer to Him as "Oily Josh"

This is scarily accurate

He'd also probably take the whole "Love everybody" thing and turn it into a criticism about being soft. Or sexual deviancy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think it's because Christianity relies so aggressively on a persecution narrative that it will fabricate and form its own enemies and dumb leftists who reject Christian narratives start with the "enemies" of their object of focus, ignoring this well known pattern

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/shanley/status/1114981801229860865

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

The little "k" on the end of "magic" is like a dagger through my embarrassment gland.

Remember, when it's got a k on the end, it's pronounced "muh-gik," with a hard g.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

doverhog posted:

Hey, guy, I'm a communist. Like a real one, not whatever you think I am. Also a wizard, like Alan Moore. Look him up
Alan Moore can suck it.

Also he's not a chaos magician. He's a grumpy old Crowleyist.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:tipshat:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1150722424155123718

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Welcome to the resistance, Sun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They're immature dullards desperate to sound sophisticated, or they're grifting on same.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Acceptance of the status quo is a sign of maturity, sure. So is laying down and dying of old age.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Accepting the status quo or embracing pseudoscience and woo - the only two alternatives.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So, we as rational men should strip ourselves of all mystical thought?

Also magic is not pseudoscience. It's either not science at all, or it's psychology/sociology.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

is this u

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

Every Catholic gandma has these. They've never been sold by conventional means.
https://twitter.com/CandyCornball/status/1150385885235597313?s=19

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNVSDW/

:ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Whybird posted:

is this u
i have to admit those guys look like they're having a great time doing... whatever it is