Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

As far as this expac's version of the Warring Triads, since we've not had any real obvious hooks, it's up for speculation, but I would think it'd be neat if We went back to 'play' with the fae folk of Dohn Mheg in an escalating series of challenges.
Anything's possible, though it seems to me that Il Mheg's already fairly tied up as the Beast Tribe Zone; both the Pixies and the Nu Mou are slated as 2/3 of this expansion's Tribes, with Dwarves making up the 3rd. But then, too, it already seems that the Dwarves might be the launching point for the Nier Automata raid, so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

super sweet best pal posted:

A lot of the designs give off a "voidsent but opposite" vibe.

Yeah don't Venality literally look like palette swapped succubi?

It certainly wouldn't inspire, like, aspirations, faith or hopes given that most Sin Eaters are explicitly mindless zombie husks that exist only to nom on aether and infect new victims. It's really kind of weird how HARD they went in on "actually the things that look vaguely like angels are THE WORST."

I mean Astral/Light being defined as the elemental pole of stagnation feels real weird anyways.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, Light is stability. It doesn't turn into stagnation until you're chugging it to the same degree where Darkness would turn you into endless wicked chaos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly the humanoid Sin Eaters are really weird and I have to admit being both bummed and puzzled by their existence. At the least, as someone who's getting this secondhand since I'm still way back in content, so far their behavior certainly isn't anything akin to divine given that they're functionally mindless zombies worse and more horrifying than voidsent in every way. It's hard to imagine any civilization considering them a model of divinity, but it's also weird that Light aspect aether apparently has so little to do with positive qualities.

I mean, it's not as if we actually see much related to the positive or divine aspirations of humanity related to Sin Eaters that isn't something Vauthry explicitly created. So I would be confused by the idea of them inspiring things built in the image of divinity. But then I don't really know why some of them look like angels anyways, beyond JRPG Mandatory Abrahamic Religion Bad Vaguely Shinto/Buddhism Good.

In the fluff, they have nothing at all to do with divinity except for Vauthry. Light and darkness in this game are elemental forces, no more inherently good or evil than anything else. Sin eaters are exactly the same as any other creature overwhelmed by one particular kind of aether. They're explicitly described as creatures of pure instinct, and only a very few plot-relevant ones have any kind of mind of their own, usually a remnant of the person they used to be being particularly strong-willed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah don't Venality literally look like palette swapped succubi?

It certainly wouldn't inspire, like, aspirations, faith or hopes given that most Sin Eaters are explicitly mindless zombie husks that exist only to nom on aether and infect new victims. It's really kind of weird how HARD they went in on "actually the things that look vaguely like angels are THE WORST."

I mean Astral/Light being defined as the elemental pole of stagnation feels real weird anyways.

It's really just too much of anything is a bad thing. Also the designs of Angels being weirdly grotesque or monsters is in line with some of the Abramic concepts of Angels. Not every Angel is a Michael or a Gabriel :yikes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Firebert posted:

I did the capstone for all of the role quests last night and it was appropriately underwhelming. The role quests and the lvl 80 job "quests" feel like a complete afterthought, they should've spend more time fleshing out the Eulmore MSQ stuff instead...

The level 80 SMN quest definitely had some "uhhh where do we put this" going on with the Fordola part. Its also kind of funny how quickly you get past "oh your sister's soul is actually stuck in another plane of existence where shes constantly at risk of turning into some kind of abomination but I think it'll be ok. Btw, still no idea how to get her back. As for quest content, maybe they could've had Y'mhitra do some brainstorming about summoning light wardens to the WoL's horror.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

I can only hope that the Nier themed 24 man will come replete with an oversized Emil head you can ride as a mount that plays Nier music for the mount song.

Yoko Taro is a madman and sadness elemental, I wonder what mindfucks he has in store.

I want Emil's truck that plays his shop music. And by play his shop music, I mean I want it to blare the music out so everyone has to hear it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i dinged 70 on gnb yesterday so i went through the 60-70 quests back to back

i like how sophie changes outfits as you travel from town to town :kimchi:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I think part of it is Soken's frankly ridiculous range. You've got slow piano pieces (The Scars of Battle and Amaurot's theme), trance (Limitless Blue/Woe That is Madness), Latin chants (Rise of the White Raven), classical (Equilibrium), Japanese folk music (Revelation), industrial metal (Fiend), rock (Oblivion), rock that is also a sea shanty (eScape), sentai themes (Metal (Brute Justice Mode) and Hyper Rainbow Z), waltz (The Hand that Gives the Rose), jpop (Sunrise), Mili-esque classical prog pop (What Angel Wakes Me)...

I can't think of a single other composer who has quite that broad a range.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cythereal posted:

In the fluff, they have nothing at all to do with divinity except for Vauthry. Light and darkness in this game are elemental forces, no more inherently good or evil than anything else. Sin eaters are exactly the same as any other creature overwhelmed by one particular kind of aether. They're explicitly described as creatures of pure instinct, and only a very few plot-relevant ones have any kind of mind of their own, usually a remnant of the person they used to be being particularly strong-willed.

Yeah, that was my point. I find the idea that sin eaters are the "divine creatures" that inspired the statues in Amadpor difficult to believe, because they have so little about them that actually inspires reverence in any form. Why the ones that are human shaped or "divine" looking look the way they do is really weird. Why have fancy clothes and grandiose accoutrements for mindless not!zombies aside from the Generic JRPG Punch God cred?

But that said my point is more that up to this point literally every bit of flavor has said that Light was associated with life, progress, etc, and then "nope the First proves that Light is the mindless force of stagnation," and that is just profoundly unintuitive to me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

so if I need to buy the two most recent expansions, do I need to rebuy the base game or something? I don't see an option to purchase stormblood alone anymore, it only seems to come packaged with the 'complete edition' on square's site.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Agent355 posted:

so if I need to buy the two most recent expansions, do I need to rebuy the base game or something? I don't see an option to purchase stormblood alone anymore, it only seems to come packaged with the 'complete edition' on square's site.

They bundle all of the expansions into the latest expansion. If you buy Shadowbringers, it would come with Heavensward and Stormblood if you needed them. Base ARR is still separate unless in a bundle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah, that was my point. I find the idea that sin eaters are the "divine creatures" that inspired the statues in Amadpor difficult to believe, because they have so little about them that actually inspires reverence in any form. Why the ones that are human shaped or "divine" looking look the way they do is really weird. Why have fancy clothes and grandiose accoutrements for mindless not!zombies aside from the Generic JRPG Punch God cred?

But that said my point is more that up to this point literally every bit of flavor has said that Light was associated with life, progress, etc, and then "nope the First proves that Light is the mindless force of stagnation," and that is just profoundly unintuitive to me.

Random stuff I guess
A Sin Eater is going to be powerful on its own, which is probably enough to instil some reverence in someone. And the stronger, more humanoid ones probably aren't completely mindless and feral. They're a lot like voidsent. Most are just mini demons and beasts, but the upper echelons of them are intelligent and could probably communicate if the desire arose. Vauthry as Innocence would at least suggest that much. Why the others don't? I don't know. Same reason the Cloud of Darkness doesn't, and Scathach doesn't. Maybe we'll see some of it in the upcoming raid.

Light is still associated with life. Just as water is associated with life. And fire is associated with life. Etc. You fundamentally need all of them, but if any of them are over abundant, bad things happen. You'll drown, you'll burn, you'll freeze, whatever. I think the reveal is that light isn't life/good, and dark is death/evil, it's that the axis lies on the D&D Law/Chaos spectrum. Light is lawful, ordered, and stagnant. Dark is chaotic, energetic, and ever changing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The only time I've ever used a Limit Break was waaay back in the ARR days when the game was still new and people didn't know encounters, and our group went through and discussed the Garuda story trial and decided that I should use the tank LB at a phase transition, which then led to the kill.

That felt good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Paying 1M per person for completion of duty successfully. Loot is mine. Only running once - I can hold my own."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arist posted:

"Paying 1M per person for completion of duty successfully. Loot is mine. Only running once - I can hold my own."

Screenshot your quotes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

We literally had an entire plot arc about how the Light was overwhelming the first back in the days before SB and the Ascians have been telling us that since the start. It just turns out that hey, the Ascains were not *complete* liars.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

I think part of it is Soken's frankly ridiculous range. You've got slow piano pieces (The Scars of Battle and Amaurot's theme), trance (Limitless Blue/Woe That is Madness), Latin chants (Rise of the White Raven), classical (Equilibrium), Japanese folk music (Revelation), industrial metal (Fiend), rock (Oblivion), rock that is also a sea shanty (eScape), sentai themes (Metal (Brute Justice Mode) and Hyper Rainbow Z), waltz (The Hand that Gives the Rose), jpop (Sunrise), Mili-esque classical prog pop (What Angel Wakes Me)...

I can't think of a single other composer who has quite that broad a range.

Don't forget the lo-fi Amh Araeng theme.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

DeathSandwich posted:

As far as this expac's version of the Warring Triads, since we've not had any real obvious hooks, it's up for speculation, but I would think it'd be neat if We went back to 'play' with the fae folk of Dohn Mheg in an escalating series of challenges.

I think if ShB has a Deep Dungeon, it's probably a fae realm.

Comedy option: Not-Chrysler Building and everything's a Paradise Eve reference

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

We literally had an entire plot arc about how the Light was overwhelming the first back in the days before SB and the Ascians have been telling us that since the start. It just turns out that hey, the Ascains were not *complete* liars.

Which just makes it all the more interesting that the Ascians are basically on the side of Light and Zodiark is a god of order and preservation. Hydaelen is fundamentally a goddess of destruction and chaos, and that's the side we're on. As Urianger puts it, the Ascians represent umbral light and we're astral darkness.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just give me the 2B glamour, Square.

Male exclusive.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Francis posted:

I think if ShB has a Deep Dungeon, it's probably a fae realm.

Comedy option: Not-Chrysler Building and everything's a Paradise Eve reference

This, but a real dungeon raid like this :getin:

Holy poo poo, if Eden was this :swoon:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Let's not forget that Thunder Rolls sounds like it was pulled from NieR

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anyone here remember if 2* crafting recipes were added with Omega or Omega Savage? Trying to figure out if I'm going to have to poopsock tomorrow or in two weeks.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Does anyone here remember if 2* crafting recipes were added with Omega or Omega Savage? Trying to figure out if I'm going to have to poopsock tomorrow or in two weeks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

Which just makes it all the more interesting that the Ascians are basically on the side of Light and Zodiark is a god of order and preservation. Hydaelen is fundamentally a goddess of destruction and chaos, and that's the side we're on. As Urianger puts it, the Ascians represent umbral light and we're astral darkness.

Post MSQ
Only to a point. The Ascians' creation ability is certainly dark-aligned. Zodiark himself wasn't preserving anything; he was rewriting and changing the laws of existence.

I wouldn't call anything about Hydaelyn destructive or chaotic though. Aside from the sundering, which was done to create balance and order, she's all about preservation.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Do time cards ever go on sale?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure the answer is "Dark and Light are not easily devided into Good/Bad or Creation/Destruction and the honest answer will probably be some form of balance.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Just give me the 2B glamour, Square.

Male exclusive.

I can't wait to see which classes get which Nier outfits.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

They were added with the savage patch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jetrauben posted:

It's this simple: People are more comfortable with Light, so they assigned it positive aspects. Metaphysically, they were wrong to do so. The end, no moral.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Post MSQ
Only to a point. The Ascians' creation ability is certainly dark-aligned. Zodiark himself wasn't preserving anything; he was rewriting and changing the laws of existence.

I wouldn't call anything about Hydaelyn destructive or chaotic though. Aside from the sundering, which was done to create balance and order, she's all about preservation.

I think the big takeaway of the expansion is that boiling down Hydaelyn to a Goddess of Light and Zodiark to a God of Darkness is reductive and overlooks their nuanced positions in the universe. They were created for specific purposes and their existence reflects on that for better or for worse.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rhonne posted:

I can't wait to see which classes get which Nier outfits.

Will DRKs get telekinetic greatswords?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is "Dark and Light are not easily devided into Good/Bad or Creation/Destruction and the honest answer will probably be some form of balance.

It's this. You see parallels between the voidsent of the 13th and the sin eaters of the 1st. In both cases their aether is completely out of whack in the dark and light direction respectively. Both cases wind up with pretty similar results.

That being said, I question what would of happened had Minfillia and the 1st's warriors of light not sacrificed themselves to stop the flood of light. Wouldn't the flood of light completely overtaking the world be basically the same thing that happened with the void in the 13th to make it completely unsuitable for rejoining? If that's the case it seems like the Ascians hosed it up real bad and would of made another shard useless had Minfillia not halted the flood. The ascian plan was basically saved by their enemies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Krabboss posted:

The worst thing about the new quests is we're back to using real materials.

Anyway, do them on GSM and WVR. Both have truly awful leves and crafts and you'll want all the easy exp on then you can get. Out of Cul/Alc I found Cul more annoying to level, but both were still so easy that I unintentionally left their questline at the level 75 step.

How financially taxing is it now? I saw someone comment on the ShB recipes having old mats, and I'm kinda low-ish on gil (not as dire as it was, but I'm still sitting on just ~2M gil). I'd prefer to avoid having to fly around a bunch gathering old materials (hell, I still haven't unlocked most HW/SB mats for my retainers, since I just grinded those with mostly custom deliveries).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Master Crafter Tome VIIs should be out with 5.05, and will at least have the first set of 2* crafted War/Magic gear. 5.1 should fill out the rest of the recipes for those tomes. 5.2 should be Master Crafter Tome VIIIs and the first 3* recipes, and 5.4 should be the onset of 4* recipes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathSandwich posted:

It's this. You see parallels between the voidsent of the 13th and the sin eaters of the 1st. In both cases their aether is completely out of whack in the dark and light direction respectively. Both cases wind up with pretty similar results.

That being said, I question what would of happened had Minfillia and the 1st's warriors of light not sacrificed themselves to stop the flood of light. Wouldn't the flood of light completely overtaking the world be basically the same thing that happened with the void in the 13th to make it completely unsuitable for rejoining? If that's the case it seems like the Ascians hosed it up real bad and would of made another shard useless had Minfillia not halted the flood. The ascian plan was basically saved by their enemies.

That is correct yes.

They almost hosed up again. The worlds on the periphery of light and dark (1st and 13th) are very volatile comparatively, and the Rejoining plan is easy to botch with them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathSandwich posted:

I think Elidibus sent the WoD crew to the source to cause enough trouble to trigger a rejoining at that point. He also brought over Unukalhai at that time, so maybe had more plans for him as well, or expected us to gently caress up with the Warring Triad. They've had to have some sort of light-aligned calamity in the works, and I don't think Black Rose fit the timeline properly.

Or maybe they just hadn't written that far yet. I like to think all the details are set out early but that's probably not 100% the case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Yes, the Ascians explicitly hosed up. They saw that the First was tilting towards light and their plan was to create Warriors of Light and then have the Shadowkeeper defeat them. However the Shadowkeeper lost AND Ascians got their poo poo wrecked which triggered the Flood of Light. If not for Minfilia they would have had a second Void on their hands.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think Elidibus sent the WoD crew to the source to cause enough trouble to trigger a rejoining at that point. He also brought over Unukalhai at that time, so maybe had more plans for him as well, or expected us to gently caress up with the Warring Triad. They've had to have some sort of light-aligned calamity in the works, and I don't think Black Rose fit the timeline properly.

Or maybe they just hadn't written that far yet. I like to think all the details are set out early but that's probably not 100% the case.

Also correct. The WoD were sent over to rush a calamity to cause a rejoining before the Flood devoured the entire world. They were basically the Plan B after Plan A went full tits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

The SCH 80 quest is good

PLD 80 is also good, and SAM is fine and sort of cute.

E: that sure is a lot of posts I missed by not refreshing. :v: