Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JustJeff88 posted:

How do they keep people from "stealing" that content? I don't mean piracy, I mean keeping that content locally even after a subscription has terminated and possibly duplicating it for other people. I would assume some sort of online verification process even if the content isn't actually being streamed in real time, but that still requires a connection sometimes.

It's really easy to steal content from netflix. It's even easier to just watch every movie on any of the million pirate streaming websites that come up if you type "watch [movie name] online free" on google.

But most people don't want to hyper optimize their criminal activity to save a few bucks and most people are happy to watch movies a legitimate way as long as they see the prices as fair for what they are getting. If services like netflix raise their prices too much or add a bunch of onerous elements people will flip right over to piracy but as long as people like the service they will go for doing things "the right way". It's the same idea with physical stores, they don't really put that much effort into stopping shoplifting, they know people will do it some, but people in general are law abiding and good enough that the concept of a store isn't going to collapse from everyone that possibly could stealing as much as they are able at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's the same idea with physical stores, they don't really put that much effort into stopping shoplifting, they know people will do it some, but people in general are law abiding and good enough that the concept of a store isn't going to collapse from everyone that possibly could stealing as much as they are able at all times.

lol, once again posting in the authoritative voice while knowing nothing about the subject matter at hand.

There is an entire INDUSTRY around "stopping shoplifting". It's called loss prevention.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

lol, once again posting in the authoritative voice while knowing nothing about the subject matter at hand.

There is an entire INDUSTRY around "stopping shoplifting". It's called loss prevention.

Every time I enter a store and someone immediately says "Welcome!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Motronic posted:

And it boils down to doing the cost/benefit analysis to determine the exact number of minimum wage "associates" required to deter a sufficient number of crackheads and teenagers from stealing so that shrink remains at acceptable levels.

No one is actually trying to prevent theft in retail. They are simply reducing it to an acceptable level.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have a few TB of tv shows and movies locally stored and its mostly stuff not on Netflix or was formerly on it and got pulled. My Netflix account represents my laziness of not having to curate my local collection and the off loading of storage costs. Like was said earlier, its easier to just open the app and pick a show/movie than to have to hunt down the torrent, make sure it is the right copy, download it, reseed it, and set it up in Plex if I want, or prune old stuff I don't want to free up space for new things.

The less of a selection and the more it costs to access, or if they add any bullshit DRM, it adds more friction to the process though. If that friction gets too high, its back to managing and curating my local library exclusively. I'd say the same for Prime but I have that for other reasons, the Prine streaming is just a bonus I almost exclusively forget I have most of the time already.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Beachcomber posted:

Every time I enter a store and someone immediately says "Welcome!"

Thats not LP. Real lp doesnt greet at walmart they arrest loving people. LP is a lot more fash than you may think.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And it boils down to doing the cost/benefit analysis to determine the exact number of minimum wage "associates" required to deter a sufficient number of crackheads and teenagers from stealing so that shrink remains at acceptable levels.

No one is actually trying to prevent theft in retail. They are simply reducing it to an acceptable level.

Yeah pretty much. Your typical busy supermarket will "lose" a few hundred to a few thousand dollars of stuff from the shelves every month, and that's within store parameters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.
Cultural factors aside, the risk-reward calculus sucks. Unless you're stealing by the truckload there isn't much worth your job, and what is worth stealing is much better protected in "the back" than it is in the shelves.

Retailers know that inside theft is the bigger threat, and they act accordingly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a poo poo ton of theft going on inside walmart, but it's mostly wage theft.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Motronic posted:

The idea isn't that no one would ever steal, the idea is that given a functional society the number of people that will steal is low enough that a store can have minimal light security and have a loss rate that is acceptable. Instead of us living in a society of maximal chaos where every single customer is running armed raids on every single store 24/7 to steal all they can.

Netflix has DRM, but it's easy to bypass. Lots of people do so. All the shows on netflix are available all over the internet for free. But video streaming still can exist because lots of people don't do that and still pay for a streaming service as long as the price seems low and the selection seems good enough.

If you are asking what stops people from stealing netflix the answer is "not much" but few enough go through the trouble to stop netflix having millions of subscribers anyway and will until the balence tips of "this catalog is worth this amount of money to me"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thats not LP. Real lp doesnt greet at walmart they arrest loving people. LP is a lot more fash than you may think.

This was drilled into us repeatedly during our training, and that people who know they've been noticed are much less likely to steal anything. Even as much as the anti Union stuff.

Every percentage counts.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

JustJeff88 posted:

How do they keep people from "stealing" that content? I don't mean piracy, I mean keeping that content locally even after a subscription has terminated and possibly duplicating it for other people. I would assume some sort of online verification process even if the content isn't actually being streamed in real time, but that still requires a connection sometimes.

Film/TV/content companies have been arguing for a while that you are only buying a license to the content not the content itself. They'd say that you couldn't legally make backup copies for yourself because their license didn't allow that. That didn't matter that much though because the media had to be compatible with playback on standard devices. You didn't need a Disney DVD player, Warner Brothers DVD player, etc, and your standard devices read data according to standards. Every DVD Video uses the same ISO9660 file system as DVD-ROMs, so people could use standard equipment to intercept signals, figure out the encryption, and make backups.

Nowadays, companies control the media and the playback. If you download a video from Netflix, you can only play it back in the Netflix app. Opening it with VLC doesn't get you anything. So you are now really just buying a license because once you stop paying, you don't have access to anything anymore.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 15, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

They do. Trust me employee theft is the major proponent of item theft. I kbow a poster above states wage theft is huge. But item wise employee theft is the biggest loss for a company.

Beachcomber posted:

This was drilled into us repeatedly during our training, and that people who know they've been noticed are much less likely to steal anything. Even as much as the anti Union stuff.

Every percentage counts.

You are right. Saying HI can scare people into not stealing. Putting a fat old lady in a security vest can deterr theft aswell. However for the non opportunists they the cellphone the person carries is the most dangerous object. Not the person themselves.

Constantly greeting customers and help/harassing peiple stops more theft then beatdowns

And by beatdowns i mean arrests.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's like, extremely extremely easy to steal from a store, you can do it dozens or hundreds of times between getting caught. The fact is that people mostly aren't. For most people, within reason "I give you money, you give me grapes" is an acceptable trade and they mostly aren't angling to wait till the one second the guard turns around to shove them in their pocket and walk out.

Stores in general have to know that theft exists and have to put some effort into minimizing it to below a certain level, but commerce in general relies on the idea most people most of the time are gonna do it right and you don't need to make everything airtight against every single customer running the maximal attempt to break the law to the exact level they game theory out they could get away with.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The idea isn't that no one would ever steal, the idea is that given a functional society the number of people that will steal is low enough that a store can have minimal light security and have a loss rate that is acceptable. Instead of us living in a society of maximal chaos where every single customer is running armed raids on every single store 24/7 to steal all they can.

have you ever been inside of a store, or exchanged money for goods? honest question

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Y'all dummies must hate all entertainment because it is funded almost entirely by ads. Just television (cable and otherwise) and all search engines and free websites shutting down would result in massive societal change.

Publicly-funded models of entertainment don't exist I scream as I send my hard-earned dollars to Belle Delphine so I can gargle a GamerGirl™'s dirty asswater.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Baronash posted:

The downloads have varying expiration dates.

Interesting. I've personally never encountered this for the reason that I just don't watch films. So, what keeps people from taking these semi-permanent downloads, hacking the built-in expiration date in order to keep them forever, pass out copies to mates and/or sell them for some profit?

I want to make it clear that I'm not trolling - I am genuinely curious about this because I have always assumed that everything is direct streaming in order to prevent the very things that I just mentioned.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Interesting. I've personally never encountered this for the reason that I just don't watch films. So, what keeps people from taking these semi-permanent downloads, hacking the built-in expiration date in order to keep them forever, pass out copies to mates and/or sell them for some profit?

I want to make it clear that I'm not trolling - I am genuinely curious about this because I have always assumed that everything is direct streaming in order to prevent the very things that I just mentioned.

Nothing, really, beyond the fact that it's alot of effort and they are freely torrentable on piratebay or other site of choice. You probably get bootleg copies distributed in poorer places with a demand, like the ME, Cuba, Brazil etc. At the point your content is streamed to someone elses device, there's nothing practically you can do to secure the content against someone else taking and sharing it for free.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

have you ever been inside of a store, or exchanged money for goods? honest question

Are you acting shocked by the claim most people are not attempting to shoplift on most shopping trips? Do you shoplift every single time you think you'd get away with it?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'll take that as a no

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

You're getting confused. Some streaming services also let you download some/all of their content ahead of time if you're going on a flight or something. In both cases they're using DRM.

What stops "you" from stripping that is usually that "you" are someone who doesn't even try to strip the DRM, and "you" are certainly not going to be bothered to go follow the guides to run someone else's programs to remove the DRM.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

i'll take that as a no

There are stores in this country that don't even have security cameras. You might live in crime alley and steal whenever you can but lots of people don't do that. Most businesses have a minimal amount of security focused on minimizing theft below a certain level, not army's stationed against the hoard of every single shopper attempting to rob the place blind and burn it to the ground.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How to stop avg consumer from downloading pirated content

Tell consumers they will get a virus if they even try to find free movies

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How to stop avg consumer from downloading pirated content

Tell consumers they will get a virus if they even try to find free movies

Anti piracy ads literally do that and I'm pretty sure they make people pirate more out of spite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How to stop avg consumer from downloading pirated content: make downloading convenient legal copies just as easy or easier in exchange for a fair price.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Baronjutter posted:

How to stop avg consumer from downloading pirated content: make downloading convenient legal copies just as easy or easier in exchange for a fair price.

Yeah, this is iTunes circa 2000 and Netflix / Amazon Prime are essentially employing the same strategies. There are some people who will pirate no matter what, and some people who won't, but especially in a capitalist society for a lot there's a cost-benefit analysis.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, this is iTunes circa 2000 and Netflix / Amazon Prime are essentially employing the same strategies. There are some people who will pirate no matter what, and some people who won't, but especially in a capitalist society for a lot there's a cost-benefit analysis.

There's a sealed EU paper somewhere out there, sealed by the foul hand of the media market players, the results were leaked by some EU parliamentarian awhile ago.

Turns out, Piracy of movies, TV shows and videogames? Tiny, tiny, almost irrelevant section of the market.

The vast majority of consumers buy their products or stream them, it's easier than piracy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's absurd that piracy is talked about in any seriousness when the relevant sectors (TV, movies, games, music) are still, to this day, non-stop growing and constantly becoming increasingly profitable as distribution costs keep shrinking. Even those who do pirate mostly do it in a complementary fashion, what they don't buy they pirate. Not the other way around.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Not only is piracy a trivial cost to providers even assuming that everyone who pirates would buy the game if they could not pirate it (Protip: They wouldn't), it often convinces people to buy something later, on a sale or after receiving a paycheck, because they've tried it, are convinced of its quality and want the simplicity of being able to easily download and install a patched, legal copy with ease.

GOG figured this out years ago while Steam and other big providers constantly makes themselves out to be the aggrieved party while counting their billions. Jeff Vogel, the man behind Spiderweb software, once said that he used to do things such as keys and so on to stop piracy and gave up because it cost him more in sales than he ever stopped. In fact, he gave a talk on being a small indy dev and specifically said "If you're thinking about doing something to prevent piracy, don't!" One would almost think that giving someone a quality product, easily purchased and used, at a fair price works as a business strategy...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t know you could even pirate pc games anymore I figured everything would be 200 gigs and just not worth it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Terabyte hdds are like 50 bucks now

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Terabyte hdds are like 50 bucks now

I'm holding my breath until solid state gets down there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A 1tb m.2 nvme drive can already be found for under 100. That's incredible honestly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

I didn’t know you could even pirate pc games anymore I figured everything would be 200 gigs and just not worth it

How does that even make sense? It's the same 200 gigabytes if you buy it too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry I meant having to download 200 gigs from dodgy 150kbps hosting sites

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Sorry I meant having to download 200 gigs from dodgy 150kbps hosting sites

I mean, sure, but p2p still exists. 200 gigs would take a while, but not days or anything.

Of course, it's still easier to wait for a Steam sale and buy whatever for five or six bucks.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
lmfao multiple developers have shown that pirated copies outnumber legit ones on the reg but yeah :filez: are harmless

jfc this is like reading how people on 4chan think copyright works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ryonguy posted:

lmfao multiple developers have shown that pirated copies outnumber legit ones on the reg but yeah :filez: are harmless

jfc this is like reading how people on 4chan think copyright works

How's that boot taste? You'd have to be real stupid or real paid to believe all those pirate copies equal purchases that would have happened, instead of the user simply skipping the title in question.