Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I like Numbers Fuckstien as a pejorative for someone that sees the immense task at hand, and wants to make small adjustments to the failing system as it crashes in around them.

using it for someone that went to college and is educated is stupid., but there does seem to be a bit of a venn diagram between numbers fuckstiens and the "college elite"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I like Numbers Fuckstien as a pejorative for someone that sees the immense task at hand, and wants to make small adjustments to the failing system as it crashes in around them.

using it for someone that went to college and is educated is stupid., but there does seem to be a bit of a venn diagram between numbers fuckstiens and the "college elite"

When it's talking about trying to math out inconsequential changes to make them look significant yeah it's funny

When it devolves into "numbers bad" know-nothingism spite the libs, welp

Like a lot of good terms it's getting played out by reflexive over-application

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1150795390540759040

Biden looking like he's about to have a drat heart attack.

Mellow Seas posted:

Can we all just take a moment to recognize that "numbers fuckstein" is a not-clever way of describing a concept of dubious utility?

I'd say it's a pretty good catchphrase for summing up the guy who gets passionate about moving the average rate of rent increases from 4% a year to 3% a year. Particularly when said numbers gently caress touts this as a revolutionary plan to change America.
It's also a really good descriptor for every upper-class dumbshit who defended the ACA on the basis of "but now millions more have access to health insurance!" when basically nobody who enrolled in those plans can afford to use them for anything but the most dire emergencies. At which point you lost your job and you're bankrupt from your deductible/copays/running up debt to pay rent anyways, lmao

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Its Coke posted:

I'm generally against them because centrist libs have gotten so enamored with them they think breaks are the only way to create any new type of incentive or aid. which is bad for two reasons

1. poor people don't pay any taxes so it leaves you no way to help them. not to mention the arc of tax breaks always bends toward disproportionately benefitting the rich
2. it's more noticeable and popular to just give people money. even if it's mathematically the same to give someone $100 and to subtract $100 from the amount they owe you, they will like you more for the first one

Number 2 does not necessarily track with what we know about how risk averse humans as a species are. The research shows they’d much rather not lose some amount of money they have than gain an equal amount of it.

Also tax credits (the OP mentioned tax breaks, but this thread frequently treats them as interchangeable) can take the form of a payout when they’re refundable, like the EITC.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When it's talking about trying to math out inconsequential changes to make them look significant yeah it's funny

When it devolves into "numbers bad" know-nothingism spite the libs, welp

Like a lot of good terms it's getting played out by reflexive over-application

Wouldn’t want us dumb people challenging the authority of our credentialed betters!

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

“Numbers Fuckstein” sounds like something from Nazi twitter.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Gripweed posted:

But my god, do you remember what it was supposed to be 10 years ago? That glorious dream, that beautiful notion of a better world just within our grasp?

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1150750255752843264

Also important: the 9.86% is one of those means-tested numbers for earners. That is to say when I last bothered with the marketplace, the lowest price I could get was more then 30% of my income (pre-tax).

There is some sort of assumptive floor that of course everyone will make at least $35K/yr.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anyone have a good link explaining slow joes healthcare plan

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

yronic heroism posted:

why

Kobayashi posted:

Wouldn’t want us dumb people challenging the authority of our credentialed betters!

hmm yes this is precisely what he was saying and not a bad faith interpretation at all.

anti-intellectualism is bad no matter whos doing it, and the person doing it is usually dumber than a bag of loving hammers.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7iGmwmHePI

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yronic heroism posted:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

-stein

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bring back the ACA mandate and also maybe offer access to a public option that remains competitive with market rates. After that it's some waffling about importing drugs to make them cheaper.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1150795526272618496

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Easier to say that Biden just wants to bolster the ACA and nothing further

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

As an intellectual, I take serious offense at the phrase 'Numbers Fuckstein'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

why

hmm yes this is precisely what he was saying and not a bad faith interpretation at all.

anti-intellectualism is bad no matter whos doing it, and the person doing it is usually dumber than a bag of loving hammers.

Nobody wAs doing anti intellectualism though

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
The biggest problem I see with linking college degrees with job qualifications is that it turns higher education into glorified job training (which conveniently pushing the expenses of same off of employers and onto the universities themselves), which is emphatically not what that exists to do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Easier to say that Biden just wants to bolster the ACA and nothing further

the funny thing is it's actually worse, because blue states that expanded medicaid will keep having to pay the portion of the costs they agreed to, but red states will just get the expansion for free under biden's new plan

like it literally punishes states that did their best not to let working poor people die

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 15, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

a common reaction to yronic's posts

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's definitely a lot of incrementalist/technocratic rhetoric that emerges out of even well-meaning PoliSci/economics courses. Which is unfortunate, because technocratic/incrementalist solutions have their place (in a functioning, fash-free, public owns the Means of Production society), but those models are completely incapable of dealing with collapsing societies/political structures or major systemic changes (such as those required for the collapse of capitalism, automation and climate change).

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 15, 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

"Numbers Fuckstein" sounds like a "[First Name] [Last Name]". What does the "-stein" suffix usually indicate on a last name?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I reject the notion that being anti-credentialist, anti-elitist, anti-establishment and anti-liberal is also anti-intellectual. But so be it. Like Christ, I dwell amongst the masses

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

"Numbers Fuckstein" sounds like a "[First Name] [Last Name]". What does the "-stein" suffix usually indicate on a last name?

look, it just happens to sound like some poo poo the Daily Stormer would use.

honest coincidence, no harm no foul, they should keep saying it a hundred times every page in their discussion about how college is bad which is for some reason in the primary thread

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 15, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I'd be fine with changing it to Numbers Fuckstain to avoid any possible connotations, but I think you are stretching.

eke out posted:

honest coincidence, no harm no foul, they should keep saying it a hundred times every page in their discussion about how college is bad which is for some reason in the primary thread

Yeah, there's for sure a few that think anti-liberalism requires rejection of liberal education in general. :shrug:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
pronouned stine or steen?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I am absolutely and unironically calling for the dismantling of the liberal education, to be replaced with a comprehensive cradle-to-grave leftist education (it begins with the removal of all children and infants from the family unit, to be reared in communal creches)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

You do know that this is the laziest and most cowardly way of trying to get people to agree with you, right?

Cowardly? Weird take, bro.

I had forgotten that it was in this doodle and yeah, ok, it's pretty funny there.

If I just wanted to gently caress with y'all I would've brought up the Jewish thing like Pembroke Fuse, but I couldn't get behind that argument in an intellectually honest way. Yes, I argue in good faith - my annoying you all is entirely organic!

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Are people saying college is bad or that a system that only recognizes those who have the spare time/money to get a degree is bad

In short:

Calibanibal posted:

Without credentialism how will I know how much I'm worth

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Because Nazis often make fun of the names they associate with targeted ethnic groups.

They also run poo poo into the ground.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 15, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

Cowardly? Weird take, bro.

You're literally presenting your personal opinion and saying that people should just agree with it without any discussion or reflection, but in an extremely weaselly way where you don't even bother to present any arguments for why your opinion should be accepted. That's some primo intellectual cowardice right there, pal.

E: Also I envy you all who evidently haven't had to encounter any actual nazi rhetoric in your lives ever.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

yronic heroism posted:

All of twitter is Nazi twitter

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'd be fine with changing it to Numbers Fuckstain to avoid any possible connotations, but I think you are stretching.

Numbers Fuckstain works because fuckstain is already a non-racial swear, AFAIK.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Are people saying college is bad or that a system that only recognizes those who have the spare time/money to get a degree is bad

People sometimes conflate "education" with "neoliberal education" (as in, all modern education is neoliberal and should be rejected out of hand). This leads to some strange conclusions like: "you don't need an education to understand Marx" and discounting the Big Bang because its "capitalist science" that's not Hegelian enough.

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 15, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ruminahui posted:

All of twitter is Nazi twitter

I considered making that joke but then some goony goon would pop up and say “Nuh uh! What about AOC? Checkmate :smug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marxalot posted:

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1150795390540759040

Biden looking like he's about to have a drat heart attack.

I'm fairly sure he's having an absolutely awful time on this presidential run, and that at least makes me happy

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Has anyone said “Numbers Cuckstein” yet

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goethe.cx posted:

Has anyone said “Numbers Cuckstein” yet

Plumbers Suck-stain

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

eke out posted:

That's not what the discussion was

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
actually they're the numbers fuckstain bears

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Are the bearstein bears Jewish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lol no authors went off the evangelical deep end.