Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

So you’ve not seen Guns of El Chupacabra, then.

Mors we need to sit down and watch Wizards methinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We did an episode on it and yeah, it's insane. Two episodes actually (There's an RPG!)!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ages and ages ago my father rented and watched Wizards and I wandered by once or twice. I remember absolutely nothing of it but the magic duel at the end, and it has stayed in my memory ever since.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The retro film series my wife and I go to showed it as part of an animated film fest right after Totoro. A mom with kids swore and stormed out with her kids at the scene where the one wizard stands over a big swastika. I think the advertising could've been more clear

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

alg posted:

The retro film series my wife and I go to showed it as part of an animated film fest right after Totoro. A mom with kids swore and stormed out with her kids at the scene where the one wizard stands over a big swastika. I think the advertising could've been more clear

I mean, historically, Totoro was released as a double feature with Grace of the Fireflies, so at least it's keeping with tradition.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Toshimo posted:

I mean, historically, Totoro was released as a double feature with Grace of the Fireflies, so at least it's keeping with tradition.

I think Totoro was the second feature, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Toshimo posted:

... did you mean Grave?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zereth posted:

... did you mean Grave?

I did but autocorrect is dumb.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
just heard that Zak S poo poo his pants at Chick-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con '17. think I might be the first one here to get the scoop. you're welcome and God Bless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toshimo posted:

At my brother's college anime club I don't remember what they showed after Grave but it was some bubbly upbeat show and people were heavily discouraged from leaving after the first feature.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's always hilarious when these guys try to act all professional in the "business space" like we can't see how they act everywhere else.

The number of people doing 'i'm not racist/sexist but James Bond can't be a black woman' at the moment on 'this is my business twitter account; is like a perfect list of people to block. Obviously a bunch when you correct them go 'ohh, I didn't realise, yeah that's cool' are fine, just clickbait idiots, but anyone who's argued back about it has ended up dropping SJW, or 'phobic bullshit.

PST fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 14, 2019

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bruceski posted:

At my brother's college anime club I don't remember what they showed after Grave but it was some bubbly upbeat show and people were heavily discouraged from leaving after the first feature.

It's like some kind of crime to show Grave of the Fireflies without an upbeat chaser, even if it's just a short.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Is that movie as amazing as the plot summary makes it sound?

"Avatar has become a tutor tasked with training the president's daughter, Elinore, to become a full-fledged fairy. Suddenly, the president is assassinated by Necron 99, a robot sent by Blackwolf to kill believers in magic. Avatar confronts the robot and battles it using brain reading."

It's very weird but has its problems. For one they clearly couldn't afford to animate the whole script so a few scenes get glossed over with narration.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kwyndig posted:

It's like some kind of crime to show Grave of the Fireflies without an upbeat chaser, even if it's just a short.

It's probably a warcrime then to show it with Perfect Blue.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LuiCypher posted:

It's probably a warcrime then to show it with Perfect Blue.

It took me two days to fully process what happened in that movie and get rid of the nagging paranoia.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

a computing pun posted:

whole thread full of people who've forgotten what it felt like to be 14 years old and crying because you just read Sturm's death scene.

I legit never got why Sturm's death was sad or meaningful. Maybe I've misremembered it greatly, but I'm pretty sure he goes onto a wall, challenges a dragon, and then gets chumped by the dragon basically immediately, accomplishing nothing. I read an embarrassing amount of Dragonlance back when I was reading just about every lovely fantasy book I could get my grubby hands on, and never understood why everyone thought Sturm was some incredible valorous dude. Guy eats it in his first major boss fight.

Also yeah count me as someone who probably saw way more of himself in Caramon or Tanis then in Raistlin.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also yeah count me as someone who probably saw way more of himself in Caramon or Tanis then in Raistlin.

The Dragonlance cartoon film may be cheap trash, but I loved how it stuck a pin in Raistlin real good. He's all "Beware for I have sold my very soul for power and bear a terrible curse, no witness the fruits of my fiendish bargain!" then he like casts Feather Fall or some poo poo. Dude's like fifth level.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I legit never got why Sturm's death was sad or meaningful. Maybe I've misremembered it greatly, but I'm pretty sure he goes onto a wall, challenges a dragon, and then gets chumped by the dragon basically immediately, accomplishing nothing. I read an embarrassing amount of Dragonlance back when I was reading just about every lovely fantasy book I could get my grubby hands on, and never understood why everyone thought Sturm was some incredible valorous dude. Guy eats it in his first major boss fight.

Pls go read Don Quixote.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Flint is cooler than Sturm, even in death.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

theironjef posted:

We did an episode on it and yeah, it's insane. Two episodes actually (There's an RPG!)!

After I get through my Zine RPGs (Goblinville is almost done, Obachan Panic is next !) in F&F I'll have to give this a look and see if it's worth the effort.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

theironjef posted:

The Dragonlance cartoon film may be cheap trash, but I loved how it stuck a pin in Raistlin real good. He's all "Beware for I have sold my very soul for power and bear a terrible curse, no witness the fruits of my fiendish bargain!" then he like casts Feather Fall or some poo poo. Dude's like fifth level.

O no. It's sadder. At least for the first like two books he's not even that high level.

He doesn't cast Feather Fall, his staff does (By the way, selling your soul to have a staff that does like 3 bullshit 1st level spells is loving dumb). They make a big deal about him casting Sleep, Burning Hands and Magic Missile. Dude doesn't do anything besides first level spells for a long, long time. (Actually, if memory serves, if I was gonna go full grognard, he basically shoots from being like 3rd level to demi-god 67th level or whatever at some point with nothing in between because plot contrivance.)

Also, I'll own it. I was an 11 year old Raistlin fan-boy. I was a nerdy kid who got bullied that just liked books and nerd poo poo. Then I read his spin off back-story book where he kills his brother in the illusion/dream/whatever test at the Tower of High Sorcery and have since judged him as a chump. He's not even a good wizard. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Then I discovered booze and girls.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh poo poo is he that Game of Thrones book only character who is from Dorne and is going to meet Daeny to marry her and get an alliance and he thinks his best chance to win her over is tame and ride a dragon but gets immediately killed by the dragon before even talking to her, achieving nothing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only relatable character in the whole extended universe is Weasel.

Also Tanis but only when he's being sad that things aren't as cool as they used to be back when all his friends were alive and his evil ex-girlfriend was only the regular ex-girlfriend kind of evil.

e: And Caramon in that one scene where he realises that he's very probably never going to have his favorite potatoes done just right ever again.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 16, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

"and then their wrestling became a different kind of wrestling"

No I'm not gonna look up the exact quote but 20 years later I still remember Tanis and Kitiara first loving as being some awful writing.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

kingcom posted:

Oh poo poo is he that Game of Thrones book only character who is from Dorne and is going to meet Daeny to marry her and get an alliance and he thinks his best chance to win her over is tame and ride a dragon but gets immediately killed by the dragon before even talking to her, achieving nothing.

It's a lot more tortured than that if I remember right, he's meant to be this noble example showing the corrupt knights how far they've fallen that this not-even-really-a-knight is being so much more knightly-er than them. Hamhanded Christian messaging is par for the course, as people have noted.

Also Sturm actually banged the Daeny in question and their child is uh... definitely a character

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

"and then their wrestling became a different kind of wrestling"

No I'm not gonna look up the exact quote but 20 years later I still remember Tanis and Kitiara first loving as being some awful writing.

Was that the first prequel series where everyone got a backstory?

Those were bad in a way that the main storyline didn't even get close to.

e: Those were where I realised that the books might actually be pretty poo poo. It was one of the bad-guy origin stories and he was supposed to be relatable and just nah. It was the same exact problem as the star wars prequels - "I can't wait for this whiny dipshit to be darth vader and start darth vadering the place up" but he never turned into darth vader until right at the end and it was the worst.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 16, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I think that's actually the first book but to hell if I'm gonna go to a storage unit to grab a random paperback that might be there to check.

I never read the prequels. I got grossed out by the Twins stuff and hosed off to better fiction.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The best part of Dragonlance will always be the setup in the first book, with a group of veteran adventurers coming back together after years to deal with a new threat.

It's a setup that a lot more campaigns could stand to steal.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

The best part of Dragonlance is Commander Kang and his draconians. The central concept of "what the gently caress does a bunch of creatures that are basically living weapons do after they tire of war" is pretty neat in the two books about them (Doom Brigade and, uh, can't remember what the second one was called). I used to love those books. Should read them again one day, been quite a few years since I last read them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SpiritOfLenin posted:

The best part of Dragonlance is Commander Kang and his draconians.

hell yeah the Kang series was my favorite part of Dragonlance also

(stories set before the Cataclysm are in second)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I liked the Dwarven Nations trilogy but they bear very little tie to the rest of Dragonlance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Darwinism posted:

It's a lot more tortured than that if I remember right, he's meant to be this noble example showing the corrupt knights how far they've fallen that this not-even-really-a-knight is being so much more knightly-er than them. Hamhanded Christian messaging is par for the course, as people have noted.

Also Sturm actually banged the Daeny in question and their child is uh... definitely a character

If I remember right, he was just inducted into the knights as a trial basis, having wanted to be one for forever, and having worn his father's knightly armor and sword for the whole story thus far, and found them corrupt to the point of being unable to organize any campaign against the Draconian armies. I think they needed to buy some time to enact a ritual with a dragon orb, so Strum when up on the fortress' walls to pull the main blue dragon and its dragonrider into a two-on-one duel. He ended up biting it, and then oh no! it turns out the blue dragonrider was his Kitiara, who he boned before. His sacrifice also made all the other knights feel bad so they finally stopped being corrupt and got their poo poo together.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lemon-Lime posted:

The best part of Dragonlance will always be the setup in the first book, with a group of veteran adventurers coming back together after years to deal with a new threat.

It's a setup that a lot more campaigns could stand to steal.

If I'm not mistaken they all meet in a tavern.

How original.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cessna posted:

How original.

The Inn of the Last Home, no less.

It's meant to make the fact that they've all changed since then (and what those changes were) particularly meaningful.

Like, the differences between Raistlin and Caramon are even more stark now since Raistlin now has completely white hair and looks like he's wasting away, but now he can cast spells. Goldmoon has this mysterious staff made out of blue crystal that she gained during the interim along with visions of the gods, and oh wouldn't you know it there are some asshats going around kicking down doors looking for her and the staff.

Sure the start definitely leans into some bog-standard fantasy tropes, but some thought was actually put into making that start work for the campaign.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cessna posted:

How original.

Dragonlance may have actually been the originator of that for D&D, or at least what made it popular. It's hard to overstate how much the module series changed the industry.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

The Inn of the Last Home, no less.

It's meant to make the fact that they've all changed since then (and what those changes were) particularly meaningful.

Like, the differences between Raistlin and Caramon are even more stark now since Raistlin now has completely white hair and looks like he's wasting away, but now he can cast spells. Goldmoon has this mysterious staff made out of blue crystal that she gained during the interim along with visions of the gods, and oh wouldn't you know it there are some asshats going around kicking down doors looking for her and the staff.

Sure the start definitely leans into some bog-standard fantasy tropes, but some thought was actually put into making that start work for the campaign.

The problem is that, at least in the original trilogy, you didn't really know what these people were like before they went off on their journeys, which makes the moment fall flat.

Also I don't think Goldmoon was a member of the party back in the pre-book era: the reunion at the Inn of the Last Home is when the posse first meet Goldmoon the Very Aryan and her bud Riverwind the Very Native American (who come from the same tribe because lolmormonism), they then get drawn into Goldmoon/Riverwind's plight when the baddies come by. I think it's meant to be ironic because the pals all went off on their journey with the intent of finding some evidence of where the Gods went and how to get them to pay attention again, and then whaddya know it, as soon as they get home not only do they run into the plot hook for that quest (Goldmoon) but there's also an actual loving God in disguise hanging out waiting to tag along and join the comic relief troupe (Fizban).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arivia posted:

Dragonlance may have actually been the originator of that for D&D, or at least what made it popular. It's hard to overstate how much the module series changed the industry.

No.

Dragonlance came out in 1984. "You meet in a tavern" was well established by then. It's the setup of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, for example.

And as far as D&D specifically, the old 1977 Basic Set's sample dungeon had the PCs meet at the Green Dragon Inn in the city of Portown before going on their adventure. The 1979 DMG also mentions having PCs meet "by chance in an inn or tavern and resolved to journey together to seek their fortunes" as a setup.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Fair and true, but as your example of the Canterbury Tales alludes to, people meeting up in bars is about as old of a concept as places that serve booze. It's a tired and over-used trope, but it's also common not just because of how easy it makes the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hell, most of my grand adventures have started meeting in bars of various stripes.