Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
For dungeon fics, I like there is no epic loot here, only puns - although I guess because it's fluffy and avoids creepy tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

oh god the dungeon fucks

Web Novel megathread: oh god the dungeon fucks

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I was watching Mulan tonight and I realized one the songs would fit right in a cultivation story. Anyone got a favorite cultivation or cultivationish song?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I feel like you could just say “Make a Man out of You” and everyone would know the song, since it’s the 2nd greatest Disney song of all time (behind Eye to Eye)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

LLSix posted:

I was watching Mulan tonight and I realized one the songs would fit right in a cultivation story. Anyone got a favorite cultivation or cultivationish song?

Desert river has chop socky sound effects in it https://songwhip.com/song/jai-paul/desert-river

I personally associate mostly those lion dance instrumentals from old Kung fu films with cultivator spittle backhanding tho. Loud, screechy and operatic percussion

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Alright okay enough of that

Anyway, I've been burning through Royal Road's "Best Rated" stories and they're, well, most of them are competent, I guess. The Last Science is probably the good one, though I find myself not really liking any of the characters apart from Natalie. The Simulacrum is alright too, if you have time for a harem-comedy isekai. Post-Human starts well but goes nowhere, and The Last Angel is a much, much better riff on the exact same premise. Brimstone Fantasy is a power fantasy with videogame numbers. I didn't hate it.

just stay the gently caress away from anything involving dungeons

My current royal road fav is just a really solid, good scifi story. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15449/quod-olim-erat the adventures of a retired spaceship in a pretty lovely space future, featuring lots of flashbacks and body/memory weirdness

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Katreus posted:

For dungeon fics, I like there is no epic loot here, only puns - although I guess because it's fluffy and avoids creepy tropes.

just read through this one and will heartily recommend it as well

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

atelier morgan posted:

My current royal road fav is just a really solid, good scifi story. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15449/quod-olim-erat the adventures of a retired spaceship in a pretty lovely space future, featuring lots of flashbacks and body/memory weirdness

Oh, this is great. A good, old-fashioned "weird poo poo in space" story cross-bred with a half measure of murderbot.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A tenth measure of murderbot would get me to read something.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m sitting here reading between the lines, hoping for an August 1st Uncrowned release. Will listed August 1 as the release date back on his April Fool’s release schedule post, captioned as “April Fool’s!..... or is it?”. He just had an all-books-for-free day on July 4th, which he’s done before other releases. And the narrator for his audiobooks, who loves them enough that the Underlord release from March is still his pinned tweet, has his current project listed on his Twitter as “classified” and then sent the following tweet, which Will then retweeted:

https://twitter.com/twinstickgames/status/1150221455210115073?s=21

Fingers crossed! I want to know what happens next.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

Oh there's a sequel

Silynt posted:

I’m sitting here reading between the lines, hoping for an August 1st Uncrowned release. Will listed August 1 as the release date back on his April Fool’s release schedule post, captioned as “April Fool’s!..... or is it?”. He just had an all-books-for-free day on July 4th, which he’s done before other releases. And the narrator for his audiobooks, who loves them enough that the Underlord release from March is still his pinned tweet, has his current project listed on his Twitter as “classified” and then sent the following tweet, which Will then retweeted:

https://twitter.com/twinstickgames/status/1150221455210115073?s=21

Fingers crossed! I want to know what happens next.

Doubt it. That would be an exceptionally short turnaround time and he's been working on Elder Empire. I would be surprised to see another Cradle book before EE wraps up.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

atelier morgan posted:

I've been reading through this and it's pretty good, but the memory wipes just completely destroy it for me, I really wish the author hadn't chosen to have them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syenite posted:

I've been reading through this and it's pretty good, but the memory wipes just completely destroy it for me, I really wish the author hadn't chosen to have them.

Having read through it the story hangs entirely on them and they couldn't really be excluded.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

atelier morgan posted:

Having read through it the story hangs entirely on them and they couldn't really be excluded.
I wouldn't say that.
The memory wipes started out well told, with the character having the same knowledge as us, and the returning memories acting as flashbacks. And every memory that gets newly wiped being hidden from the reader, too.
It only got bad with the sequel, now things feel like a sitcom Amnesia plot.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
I like the mindwipes. Are there any other good books with protagonists like this, having to deal with their minds being rewritten? Royal Road's "non human lead" tag hasn't been encouraging.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

VictualSquid posted:

It only got bad with the sequel, now things feel like a sitcom Amnesia plot.

Yeah, the first book was fine, because the reader has a good grasp on what is known and what is not. Now that she maybe sometimes occasionally might have access to her memories it just feels much more contrived.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I'm left wondering how this civilization gets anything done when no one is allowed to know anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Avulsion posted:

I'm left wondering how this civilization gets anything done when no one is allowed to know anything.

i think you meant to post this in d&d

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The mindwipes have not bothered me at all. But then I did binge the thing.

Especially not in the sequel, I think most of those have been flashbacks to the first part with some extra paragraphs in them. That, or more background than anything relevant to the immediate plot.

Which is beginning to drag, just a little.

Avulsion posted:

That and the off-the-charts interservice rivalry.

But I kinda think they don't get anything done. All the offensives we hear about are pyrrhic victories at best or catastrophic failures.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syritta posted:

I like the mindwipes. Are there any other good books with protagonists like this, having to deal with their minds being rewritten? Royal Road's "non human lead" tag hasn't been encouraging.

Its not done with mindwipes but if you want the same effect done as a master class in hidden information and creeping dread read Use of Weapons by Iain Banks

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Hm, thanks. I do like the mental alterations specifically though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Release that Witch has taken a suprising turn:
It was aliens.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Syritta posted:

Hm, thanks. I do like the mental alterations specifically though.

There's no shortage of brain weirdness and robots either

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

Release that Witch has taken a suprising turn:
It was aliens.

I mean, it was gonna be something like that.

I'm personally waiting for them to reveal the final chapter before I read the final 100 chapters or so.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I lost interest when it became more about dream worlds and demons\aliens and less about cool ways to use magic to bootstrap technological advancement. I suspect that Qidian is to blame.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah the dream world stuff just completely lost me and I stopped reading.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I haven't read Release that Witch, but I have to ask - is the titular witch ever released?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
released to become an industrial-grade smelter.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

Yeah the dream world stuff just completely lost me and I stopped reading.

I was on board with the dream world stuff as a plot mechanic to give him access to his old textbooks and sort of on board with it being a weird quasi-vacation spot for the witches but when a significant part of the plot became "earning money in the dream world" and "leveling up his cultivator rank in the dream world" it sort of lost me too. It's such a weird thing to throw into a story about industrialization and fantasy politics

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I haven't read Release that Witch, but I have to ask - is the titular witch ever released?

the main character sees that she can make fire out of nothing and goes "what the hell that rules" and releases her immediately

Konstantin posted:

I lost interest when it became more about dream worlds and demons\aliens and less about cool ways to use magic to bootstrap technological advancement. I suspect that Qidian is to blame.

yeah I miss early scenes when you have a witch with middle-ages knowledge being like "my power sucks all i can do is make metal things stick together" and the protagonist being like "1) that's magnetism and 2) holy poo poo that is amazing"

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 26, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it never quite lived up to the premise's potential.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tunicate posted:

quick check: didn't see any rape, the main character is a BDSM lesbian maid instead

no thats just the love interest.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm rereading Forge of Destiny, and flipping between the forum version and RR.

The editing is barely noticeable, but his choice of intro chapter is regrettable. I think the forum OP is much stronger than what he decided to lead with on Royal Road. The forum OP is three short vignettes of daily life in the world. The people introduced are immediately relatable and have clearly defined problems. I was immediately drawn in.

On the other hand, I've bounced off the first RR chapter at least half a dozen times. The first emotional word used is "numb" and it sets a negative tone for the whole piece. It does introduce Ling Qi, but both her past and future were unsettled when the chapter was written, so her personality is understandably unformed. Reading it critically, she's mostly a generically whiny teenager at this stage which is terminally boring. The problems facing her are vague (because she doesn't understand them yet), but that keeps the reader from engaging.

I'm not sure how I feel about his ending point either. He cut off all of the options for the vote and moved them into the next chapter. In a vacuum the new ending is a decent cliffhanger, I'm just not sure its a better one than what he had originally.

Its odd, since I enjoyed the series as a whole so much, but the start is pretty rocky. If anyone has bounced off it before, I think its worth giving it another try and pushing through the rough opening. It does get better.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have been on a bit of an English language WN binge on royalroad since a lot of my Japanese novels on narou are kind of slow at the moment. I'd read Everybody Loves Large Chests before and enjoyed it. Aside from that I hadn't really touched RR at all.

Dungeon Heart and Dungeon Robotics were both moderately good dungeon keeper stories. Nothing amazing, but fun enough. I especially appreciated Dungeon Heart for having a Dwarf MC since Dwarves are the best fantasy race and I'm reasonably certain that in all 669,892 mostly-fantasy related stories on Narou there is not a single one focusing on dwarves.

Mother of Learning was excellent, though. It has a solid concept, fairly well fleshed out characters, and has obviously had a lot of worldbuilding work put into it. I was very disappointed it cut off at a cliffhanger but apparently it's almost done?

Any other particular recommendations for English language stuff or should I just go down the rankings looking for stuff that catches my eye?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bakanogami posted:

Have been on a bit of an English language WN binge on royalroad since a lot of my Japanese novels on narou are kind of slow at the moment. I'd read Everybody Loves Large Chests before and enjoyed it. Aside from that I hadn't really touched RR at all.

Dungeon Heart and Dungeon Robotics were both moderately good dungeon keeper stories. Nothing amazing, but fun enough. I especially appreciated Dungeon Heart for having a Dwarf MC since Dwarves are the best fantasy race and I'm reasonably certain that in all 669,892 mostly-fantasy related stories on Narou there is not a single one focusing on dwarves.

Mother of Learning was excellent, though. It has a solid concept, fairly well fleshed out characters, and has obviously had a lot of worldbuilding work put into it. I was very disappointed it cut off at a cliffhanger but apparently it's almost done?

Any other particular recommendations for English language stuff or should I just go down the rankings looking for stuff that catches my eye?

The original plan was for Mother of Learning to end at chapter 100, so yes is very close to finishing.

You might want to check out this thread in the Book Barn that focuses on western works. Just don't be tricked into reading Worm.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The original plan was for Mother of Learning to end at chapter 100, so yes is very close to finishing.

You might want to check out this thread in the Book Barn that focuses on western works. Just don't be tricked into reading Worm.

Worm is good, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I gave up on Worm after a while. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good enough to justify its size and pacing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Silver2195 posted:

Worm is good, though.

Worm is really flawed, but by the standards of web novels it's good and it manages to be better than the vast majority of stuff mentioned in this thread (as well as most other web serials, with a handful of exceptions). But things like Worm are probably more suited to the web serial thread in the Books subforum.

Bakanogami posted:

Forge of Destiny, which LLSix mentioned in the post before yours, is a native English work despite having a cultivation setting and is very good.

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm rereading Forge of Destiny, and flipping between the forum version and RR.

The editing is barely noticeable, but his choice of intro chapter is regrettable. I think the forum OP is much stronger than what he decided to lead with on Royal Road. The forum OP is three short vignettes of daily life in the world. The people introduced are immediately relatable and have clearly defined problems. I was immediately drawn in.

On the other hand, I've bounced off the first RR chapter at least half a dozen times. The first emotional word used is "numb" and it sets a negative tone for the whole piece. It does introduce Ling Qi, but both her past and future were unsettled when the chapter was written, so her personality is understandably unformed. Reading it critically, she's mostly a generically whiny teenager at this stage which is terminally boring. The problems facing her are vague (because she doesn't understand them yet), but that keeps the reader from engaging.

I'm not sure how I feel about his ending point either. He cut off all of the options for the vote and moved them into the next chapter. In a vacuum the new ending is a decent cliffhanger, I'm just not sure its a better one than what he had originally.

Its odd, since I enjoyed the series as a whole so much, but the start is pretty rocky. If anyone has bounced off it before, I think its worth giving it another try and pushing through the rough opening. It does get better.

I actually find this criticism pretty interesting. Mostly because everyone else I've talked too about it reported the opposite. I was told by quite a few people that they found my original opening dull and that they had bounced off of it several times, and that the first chapter with Ling Qi was much more engaging.

I do agree that the editing isn't too noticeable thus far. It has mostly been a matter of cleaning up grammar, the early chapters especially were rife with tense errors and left to my own devices I tend to place way to many commas. That said I have moved some scenes around and added new bits, and the changes are likely to grow as we go along, since it was mostly the latter part of the quest where the story faltered, and I failed to really develop the conflict and antagonists well.

...Oh, right Hi. I'm Yrsillar, the author. I'm glad to see critique like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah I wasn't a big fan of the original opening and actually bounced off the original quest for a while because of that. I haven't touched the RR version though so I can't comment about any changes or improvements in it.