Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Maybe the Deep Dungeon this expansion will be more Ronkan ruins and the end reward will be a Great Serpent mount.

Was there anything that screamed "yes this will be the Deep Dungeon" as much as HoH did in Shadowbringers? I'm sorta glad the devs are playing with their cards closer to their chest with the trials/deep dungeon theming but I'm also anxious cause I wanna know alreadyyyyy

Squiddycat posted:

don't take urianger anywhere

he casts death on mobs making my trust runs take three minutes less to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vitamean posted:

Was there anything that screamed "yes this will be the Deep Dungeon" as much as HoH did in Shadowbringers? I'm sorta glad the devs are playing with their cards closer to their chest with the trials/deep dungeon theming but I'm also anxious cause I wanna know alreadyyyyy

he casts death on mobs making my trust runs take three minutes less to finish

I'm not sure we're going to get one this go around. I think the Trusts might be taking up the same mindspace that PotD/HoH did insofar as it's something DPS classes can queue up for that doesn't set you with an 80 minute queue timer. .

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Running the Empire would get in the way of The Hunt, so I fully expect Zenos fucks off immediately and Gaius van Baelsar and/or a Military Junta somehow ends up in charge of the Garlean Empire.

Reminder: Gaius is not reformed and not our friend. He’s still a power-mongering Garlemald First die-hard Fascist. He just doesn’t want Ascians screwing with Garlemald and wants to conquer, enslave, and exploit instead of genociding and ruining lesser nations

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Nessus posted:

On this post MSQ thing, I wonder how much of this is childhood stories Varis heard, possibly at several removes. He was a child too once, you know.

And speaking of children, we're going to be hauling Ryne back to the Source with us, I assume, but the question would be how? Of course, she has united with a soul from the Source so perhaps it'll be fine.

I would absolutely not assume Ryne would come back to the Source with us. The rest of the Scions will end up with one-way passes back, eventually, but Ryne is more interesting as someone Thancred will actually have to say goodbye forever to.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Running the Empire would get in the way of The Hunt, so I fully expect Zenos fucks off immediately and Gaius van Baelsar and/or a Military Junta somehow ends up in charge of the Garlean Empire.

Reminder: Gaius is not reformed and not our friend. He’s still a power-mongering Garlemald First die-hard Fascist. He just doesn’t want Ascians screwing with Garlemald and wants to conquer, enslave, and exploit instead of genociding and ruining lesser nations

Still kills me that Zenos is the least catastrophically evil of the lot of them. Half the poo poo he's got up to was mostly because somebody had the bright idea of putting him in charge of nation states. Nobody in Eorzea would bat an eye at that motherfucker if he was rolling across the countryside fighting gigases and behemoths for the thrill of it if he was holding a quest log like seemingly half the continent.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nessus posted:

And speaking of children, we're going to be hauling Ryne back to the Source with us, I assume, but the question would be how? Of course, she has united with a soul from the Source so perhaps it'll be fine.

She is my precious daughter and given that the Best Branch 2019 can already travel to the Source I'm not leaving until we can construct a portal for all our other friends. :colbert:

Also just because I got into a big argument over this the other day, (MSQ details) I sincerely hope that Emet's line about him being tempered was him using it as an excuse. Having him and us be tempered just undercuts so much of the motivation of these characters to act as we do, and nothing Emet does relies on him being compelled, all his choices are pretty 'logical' from his standpoint. It would probably be the one reveal that will make me roll my eyes if it's actually true. I suppose they could argue that being tempered by a prime eikon is different than normal, but that's just handwaving away the issue.

As well we know the Echo is probably connected to having an ascian soul, and there are others out there with the Echo who can fight primals and not be tempered and they've never had the Blessing of Light. So I don't think it's the whole, 'oh we can't be tempered because we already are' canard.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 15, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Here's a random observation that came to me - in ShB during one of your nightly meetings with Ardbert, he muses about how he's "No saint or savior - just another sinner" which is the exact same phrase used by Ysayle back in Heavensward.

Have I forgotten some connection between the two characters? It's so specific that I can't imagine it being unintentional, but I can't really think of what it'd mean.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 15, 2019

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Terper posted:

Tried it out

drat that's nice

This looks like garbage and has the same problems inherent to oversharpening; the textures are too noisy and the image has no depth

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Late to Amdapor chat but If you take Urianger as a Trust to Mt. Gulg, he'll comment that the first boss looks like an Amdaporian statue so there's something there

i can't actually find any pictures of amdaporian statues anywhere, does anyone have any?

i don't actually know if this counts as a spoiler oh well

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wylie posted:

I would absolutely not assume Ryne would come back to the Source with us. The rest of the Scions will end up with one-way passes back, eventually, but Ryne is more interesting as someone Thancred will actually have to say goodbye forever to.

In regards to the scions, I’ve been assuming there’s a good chance Thancred ends up staying on the First. I figure getting everyone back to the Source is going to be easier said than done and I think Thancred deciding to stay would be more interesting thematically. Plus it gives us more gameplay reasons to go back there and check in on them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

In regards to the scions, I’ve been assuming there’s a good chance Thancred ends up staying on the First. I figure getting everyone back to the Source is going to be easier said than done and I think Thancred deciding to stay would be more interesting thematically. Plus it gives us more gameplay reasons to go back there and check in on them.

His body is still in the source though.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Blockhouse posted:

Late to Amdapor chat but If you take Urianger as a Trust to Mt. Gulg, he'll comment that the first boss looks like an Amdaporian statue so there's something there

Isn't it possible that the Sin Eaters have been actively modified to more resemble angelic entities so as to sell Vaulthry's plan more?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

His body is still in the source though.

Ehh, I’m sure they could figure out a solution to that. Just move his body somewhere out of the way or whatever and make one of the unimportant Scions take care of him.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Here's a random observation that came to me - in ShB during one of your nightly meetings with Ardbert, he muses about how he's "No saint or savior - just another sinner" which is the exact same phrase used by Ysayle back in Heavensward.

Have I forgotten some connection between the two characters? It's so specific that I can't imagine it being unintentional, but I can't really think of what it'd mean.

They re-use good lines a lot; both the WoL and Thancred crib from Minfilia, the WoL from Haurchefant, though those are closer relations. The Clan Nutsy vendor cribs from the DRK quests out of nowhere. There are a ton more I'm sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kerrzhe posted:

i can't actually find any pictures of amdaporian statues anywhere, does anyone have any?

look at the bosses in Lost City of Amdapor Hard

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kerrzhe posted:

Well, here is what Encyclopedia Eorzea has to say: first pic is from Volume 1 dealing with "Forgekin" (golems and such) and the second one is from Volume 2's entry on The Lost City of Amdapor.

So the wording was "Transcendent" not Divine, my mistake. (I hate you, autocorrect)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 15, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

aers posted:

BLM AOE feels best 72+ when you get to Freeze->(Foul/Thunder 4/Wait for MP Tick)->Flare->Flare->repeat. Don't even have to cast F3 on 5+ targets, just AoE forever.
I never considered this, does Flare cost 0 when you cast it during Umbral Ice once you get that trait at 72? So instead of coming out of my Ice phase F3, Flare, Flare, Convert, Flare, Foul, I could replace that first Fire 3 with another Flare?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never considered this, does Flare cost 0 when you cast it during Umbral Ice once you get that trait at 72? So instead of coming out of my Ice phase F3, Flare, Flare, Convert, Flare, Foul, I could replace that first Fire 3 with another Flare?

Flare and Despair's attempt to consume all your MP trumps the cost reduction, but Umbral Hearts still work on Flare. So, it's possible to go Freeze, Flare, Flare, Freeze, Flare, Flare, Freeze, Flare, Flare...

This is actually slightly stronger than Freeze, F3, Flare, Flare on 5+ targets, according to some napkin math done by people on the official forums.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Flare and Despair's attempt to consume all your MP trumps the cost reduction, but Umbral Hearts still work on Flare. So, it's possible to go Freeze, Flare, Flare, Freeze, Flare, Flare, Freeze, Flare, Flare...

This is actually slightly stronger than Freeze, F3, Flare, Flare on 5+ targets, according to some napkin math done by people on the official forums.
Even though that first Flare is so much weaker than one cast with full Astral Fire stacks?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Firebert posted:

They re-use good lines a lot; both the WoL and Thancred crib from Minfilia, the WoL from Haurchefant, though those are closer relations. The Clan Nutsy vendor cribs from the DRK quests out of nowhere. There are a ton more I'm sure.

Good lines, you say? Sometimes not even from the same game!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My personal plot prediction is that some excuse gets concocted for Zenos to invade the first--maybe he wants to reunite with the fragment of his soul living there (Ran'jit?). Maybe he just knows that the WoL is the only person who could possibly face him there, so doing that is a surefire way to draw you out instead of just facing the Eorzean Alliance

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 15, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanfy posted:

It's a repeat of a line as others have said but it's also a more general term. Lots of people on the first refer to you/themselves/others as sinners. It comes up quite a bit in the class quests.

I'm not sure if it popped up because of the whole 'we fight and are eaten by Sin Eater's therefor we are sinners' or as a response/in tandem to Vauthry's propaganda.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

Also just because I got into a big argument over this the other day, (MSQ details) I sincerely hope that Emet's line about him being tempered was him using it as an excuse. Having him and us be tempered just undercuts so much of the motivation of these characters to act as we do

Not really. The Ascians originally summoned Zodiark because they were beyond desperate to save their people and their world, and were willing to pay any price to do so. Given that the personality and goals of a primal are heavily dependent on the personality of its summoner(s), the result of the Ascians being tempered by their own creation is that they're blindly driven to do exactly what they were hoping to do in the first place when they first summoned Zodiark.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's a repeat of a line as others have said but it's also a more general term. Lots of people on the first refer to you/themselves/others as sinners. It comes up quite a bit in the class quests.

Given the apparent existence of a Church of the Light at some point pre-Flood, the likely etymology is that the Flood was initially seen as a punishment for mankind's general sinfulness. Wryly adopting it as a casual term of reference seems like something that'd naturally happen, given the circumstances.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 15, 2019

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

My personal plot prediction is that some excuse gets concocted for Zenos to invade the source--maybe he wants to reunite with the fragment of his soul living there (Ran'jit?). Maybe he just knows that the WoL is the only person who could possibly face him there, so doing that is a surefire way to draw you out instead of just facing the Eorzean Alliance

pedantic terminology :goonsay: the source is where eorzea is, shadowbringers takes place in the first shard (of which there are thirteen, the thirteenth is the void)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

World War Mammories posted:

pedantic terminology :goonsay: the source is where eorzea is, shadowbringers takes place in the first shard (of which there are thirteen, the thirteenth is the void)

Oh that was just me being dumb and typing faster than my brain was moving. I meant the First

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

My personal plot prediction is that some excuse gets concocted for Zenos to invade the first--maybe he wants to reunite with the fragment of his soul living there (Ran'jit?). Maybe he just knows that the WoL is the only person who could possibly face him there, so doing that is a surefire way to draw you out instead of just facing the Eorzean Alliance

I don't think he can? Traversing the rift isn't an easy trick to do and would involve him giving up his body right after he got it back. Plus he'd need help from either an Ascian or the Exarch and can't imagine any of them agreeing to that.

I think it's infinitely more likely we won't deal with Zenos until the patch storyline moves back to the Source, so probably in the lead up to 6.0.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think he can? Traversing the rift isn't an easy trick to do and would involve him giving up his body right after he got it back. Plus he'd need help from either an Ascian or the Exarch and uh can't imagine ant of them agreeing to that.

I think it's infinitely more likely we won't deal with Zenos until the patch storyline moves back to the Source, so probably in the lead up to 6.0.

There's no clear mechanism right now but it just feels like the kind of thing he'd find a way to pull off. I could easily be wrong though.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Boy do I wish they would do away with making you play as party members and others, it really just brings the momentum to a grinding halt for me.

But alas everyone seems to love them since they've only grown in frequency since they were introduced.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Boy do I wish they would do away with making you play as party members and others, it really just brings the momentum to a grinding halt for me.

But alas everyone seems to love them since they've only grown in frequency since they were introduced.

I’m usually fine with them but the later one in amh araeng with thancred vs ran’jit just went on way too loving long

narratively powerful sequence of events and all before and after but the fight itself just draaaaaaaagged

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Vitamean posted:

well, i noticed that there's this huge building in the background of amaurot, so i can see a expedition to recover whatever is in there before amaurot fades.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

UHD posted:

I’m usually fine with them but the later one in amh araeng with thancred vs ran’jit just went on way too loving long

narratively powerful sequence of events and all before and after but the fight itself just draaaaaaaagged

I think all of the fights against Ran'jit should have been him vs Thancred (and not been 10 minute fights) until we come along to Eulmore and chump his rear end. There's no reason he should be able to put that kind of fight against us. The other encounters were entirely nonthreatening until he pulls out his I Win button.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I think there's been like four of these overall hasn't there?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

UHD posted:

his son is not much better

a friendly reminder that the only reason stormblood played out the way it did is because zenos didnt give a gently caress about defending either doma or ala mhigo and now he’s in charge of the entire empire

he is going to run it into the loving ground

My assumption about the Garlean expansion now is that rather than continuing the war against the Empire like we were all assuming, we’re gonna be taking a side in their civil war now, possibly alongside Gaius but who can say.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
They're just WoW vehicle fights and I dislike doing them here for the same reason I dislike doing them there - the gameplay just isn't as much fun as playing my class. The story beats of them are cool, but they are just long and not very fun to me. Doesn't help they go to the you obviously aren't supposed to win here but keep at it for 5 minutes.

Did feel really satisfying in that last Thancred one though

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like the role playing fights as a concept but a lot of them end up being kind of boring because they take forever and you only have four buttons. But it’s a way for us to be more involved in the story when the WoL isn’t there instead of just watching a bunch of cutscenes.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

FactsAreUseless posted:

Even though that first Flare is so much weaker than one cast with full Astral Fire stacks?

Yep, even with the x0.7 damage modifier the fact that it casts in one GCD and outdamages a Freeze makes it worth it.

E: If you can swift or triplecast the Flares F3 is apparently still worth it.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I like the role playing fights as a concept but a lot of them end up being kind of boring because they take forever and you only have four buttons. But it’s a way for us to be more involved in the story when the WoL isn’t there instead of just watching a bunch of cutscenes.

Yeah, I like them, they just need to adjust your damage output/enemy health pools so they don't take as long.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Yep, even with the x0.7 damage modifier the fact that it casts in one GCD and outdamages a Freeze makes it worth it.

E: If you can swift or triplecast the Flares F3 is apparently still worth it.
That's good to know because my priority AOE rotation is to Triplecast and then Flare Flare Convert Flare to get rid of those cast times.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Francis posted:

I think if ShB has a Deep Dungeon, it's probably a fae realm.

I'm pretty sure the Fae realm is the theme for the treasure dungeon this expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

2 targets: just single target rotation with foul instead of xeno
3-4 targets: freeze->(filler)->f3->flare->flare
5+ targets: freeze->(filler)->flare->flare

For filler you can throw in a Foul, a procced T4, or a hardcast T4 if you need to refresh, etc. Spend T4 procs whenever you get them even during AF. If you don't really have anything to cast as filler you can just hit Flare again, as long as you dont cast it so fast you didn't get a MP tick.