Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Guilty posted:

Use real loofahs instead of buying into some synthetic bandwagon poo poo?

Another lobbyist for BIG LOOFAH :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m looking to treat myself by getting a massage chair. I’ve used a few here and there over the years and always found them unsatisfactory. Is this the sort of thing that by spending some real $$ I can actually get something that somewhat resembles a real massage? Or are they just universally overpriced and gimmicky?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Treat yourself by going through the actual real massage experience every so often. It’s v nice and relaxing and 1000x more than a chair from SkyMall will ever be

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I do, once every two weeks. Was hoping for something in the space between.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m looking for a home generator. Something for power outages that can power our fridge, my dad’s CPAP, our A/C, and possibly a few other things depending on price. So something that can power 3 things at the very least, but possibly up to 8 or 10.

Suggestions?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m looking for a home generator. Something for power outages that can power our fridge, my dad’s CPAP, our A/C, and possibly a few other things depending on price. So something that can power 3 things at the very least, but possibly up to 8 or 10.

Suggestions?

If you want it to power your AC plus those other things you should really look at properly tying it in at your panel which means getting an electrician out to do it properly. They might have certain generators they recommend but Honda is always spoken of as having the best if you can afford it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tangy yet delightful posted:

If you want it to power your AC plus those other things you should really look at properly tying it in at your panel which means getting an electrician out to do it properly. They might have certain generators they recommend but Honda is always spoken of as having the best if you can afford it.

I checked around online and Honda seems to only do lower-wattage generators, at least that I’ve found. Based on what I was told by some guys at Lowes and Home Depot, I’m looking for a standby (probably whole home) generator that runs at least 7500 or 8000 Watts for bare essentials, and possibly at least 10,000 Watts if we want to run computers and TVs and poo poo too.

Is Generac considered a good brand? I’m seeing a lot of Generac, Champion, and Kohler stuff on google.

EDIT: And yeah, my plan is to have an electrician hook everything up to the panel or whatever so we don’t have to run extension cords everywhere.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jul 14, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm traveling from the US to the EU and need a 120-240 step-down transformer that can take 1300W and a digital on/off (as opposed to mechanical). It's for a Dyson blowdryer.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

I. M. Gei posted:

Suggestions?

If you don't get a good answer here, I would try over at the Home Ownership thread.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

I. M. Gei posted:

I checked around online and Honda seems to only do lower-wattage generators, at least that I’ve found. Based on what I was told by some guys at Lowes and Home Depot, I’m looking for a standby (probably whole home) generator that runs at least 7500 or 8000 Watts for bare essentials, and possibly at least 10,000 Watts if we want to run computers and TVs and poo poo too.

Is Generac considered a good brand? I’m seeing a lot of Generac, Champion, and Kohler stuff on google.

EDIT: And yeah, my plan is to have an electrician hook everything up to the panel or whatever so we don’t have to run extension cords everywhere.

I've heard good things about Generac, if you happen to be in southwest Louisiana I know a guy who can help you out.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arcella posted:

I've heard good things about Generac, if you happen to be in southwest Louisiana I know a guy who can help you out.

Is northeast Texas close enough? That’d be great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

While I’m here, I also need a new wifi... box? Modem? Whatever, something that provides wifi to my house to replace this:

I feel like there might be a thread in IYG or SH/SC to ask about this, but I didn’t see anything when I checked.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Google WiFi routers are very easy to set up and use and pretty cheap. Can also do mesh if your house is huge and you need more than one. Plus their app let's you do stuff like reset your router from your phone.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

While I’m here, I also need a new wifi... box? Modem? Whatever, something that provides wifi to my house to replace this:

I feel like there might be a thread in IYG or SH/SC to ask about this, but I didn’t see anything when I checked.

It's this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I've seen a lot of goons recommend a particular digital thermometer for cooking. I know it can fold up and is supposed to have near instant reading. I want to upgrade the cheapo one I use but I don't remember what one I always see here. Does it ring any bells?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Thermapen.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Thermapen most likely, made by Thermoworks and only available online through their website because reasons. Also sold in some of the high end cooking stores like Williams-Sonoma if you have one near you. I'd get a thermopop though as they're pretty much just as good and like 1/3 the price.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, someone has recommended the LavaTools instant read thermometer, which is like $25 bucks on amazon, as a close competitor. I’ve not personally tried it and personally have no need to since my thermapen from three years ago still works like brand new, but it’s something to consider.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

RoastBeef posted:

Thermapen.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've had two thermapens and both crapped out within about 6 months. Figured it could be the batteries so I swapped in new ones and nope, still nothing. Have had some kind of knockoff version of similar design (I'll check the brand when I get home) and they've been perfect for about a year and a half now. Probably not going to spend the extra money for the Thermapen brand name again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Starting to shop around for 100% linen sheets for our bed. Since this is a hefty purchase, I'd like to make sure we get this right. Any recommendations on brands? Extra points for good color diversity

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

I've had two thermapens and both crapped out within about 6 months. Figured it could be the batteries so I swapped in new ones and nope, still nothing. Have had some kind of knockoff version of similar design (I'll check the brand when I get home) and they've been perfect for about a year and a half now. Probably not going to spend the extra money for the Thermapen brand name again.

I've had good luck with their warranty/support. Our first Thermapen had some sort of battery issue & they replaced it after we'd had it for about 18 months. Second one has worked great for 6-ish years.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I am looking for a good hdmi switch. Is that a thing? My big tv is just cheap enough that I have only 2 ports, but I need at least 4?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Snowmankilla posted:

I am looking for a good hdmi switch. Is that a thing? My big tv is just cheap enough that I have only 2 ports, but I need at least 4?

Hdmi switches are a thing, but I've never used a good one.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

Not sure about switches but maybe a cheaper receiver would work and bonus now you can do better audio.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Slimy Hog posted:

Hdmi switches are a thing, but I've never used a good one.

Only good HDMI switch I've ever had used a physical button to switch between the inputs, which is annoying in any real-life scenario that isn't a dorm room.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Queen Combat posted:

Only good HDMI switch I've ever had used a physical button to switch between the inputs, which is annoying in any real-life scenario that isn't a dorm room.

That would be fine. Better then what I am doing now (unplugging chords when I want to play switch vs watch Netflix).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you don't care about 4k hdr I have a switch I used to use that I could dig up, I'll send it over for the cost of shipping and maybe some beer money if it works out for what you need

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Video Switching without KvM is easy and works really well as long as your resolutions are supported. We had a lot of problems with DVI and VGA, but the HDMI switches cost peanuts and always worked flawlessly.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is there a goon consensus on good sheets? We need a new duvet cover so I thought that would be a good place to start. Weirdly, we're looking for a cool fabric, so no flannel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I swear by Modal jersey finish sheets. They are soft, and are great for both warm and cool weather. The only shortcoming is they start to pill pretty badly, but I prefer them to any other fabric for sheets.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dick Trauma posted:

I swear by Modal jersey finish sheets. They are soft, and are great for both warm and cool weather. The only shortcoming is they start to pill pretty badly, but I prefer them to any other fabric for sheets.

I'm a huge weirdo and like the texture of pilling sheets.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Snowmankilla posted:

Kinivo makes decent HDMI switches that handle 4k and HDR at 60hz and have IR remote controls that can be learned by a universal remote. I used one for my PS4 Pro, and it worked well with a Harmony hub, which let me just hit an activity button and it'd switch to whatever I needed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm looking for a quality travel blanket, ideally a fairly large one that isn't too expensive.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My Lego Darth Vader is starting to get harder to push the head down to snooze/turn on the backlight. I may eventually get another one to replace it, but I've been looking at other alarm clocks. What are some of your recommendations? My essential feature is a display that I can't see at night without intentionally turning on. Alternatively, does a clock exist that senses light or something, that has a lit up display during the day but when it gets dark or at a certain programmable time it turns off?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The sky

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I need a cheap and durable tablet/case for my employees to use. These fuckers will destroy just about anything you put in front of them so I'm thinking about trying a Kindle fire with the little kids case. I'd prefer something with a strap or handle on it so they can run maybe run around with it without worrying about dropping it too often.

Also needs to be able to run an RDP compatible with a Windows server, which I think might disqualify the Fire. Oh, also I want to be able to lock the tablet into the RDP app.

I have a couple of spare iPad airs from 2015 that might work short term. Has Microsoft RDP and guided access but I'm worried about the cost of replacing them when they inevitably get dropped and break.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

I need a cheap and durable tablet/case for my employees to use. These fuckers will destroy just about anything you put in front of them so I'm thinking about trying a Kindle fire with the little kids case. I'd prefer something with a strap or handle on it so they can run maybe run around with it without worrying about dropping it too often.

Also needs to be able to run an RDP compatible with a Windows server, which I think might disqualify the Fire. Oh, also I want to be able to lock the tablet into the RDP app.

I have a couple of spare iPad airs from 2015 that might work short term. Has Microsoft RDP and guided access but I'm worried about the cost of replacing them when they inevitably get dropped and break.

I would try to find a rugged brand tablet instead of relying on a case. I think Lenovo carries something.

You'll then need a mobile device management suite to lock them down. Bunch of different flavors out there depending on your OS.

Most are going to be a monthly subscription but manage engine may do what you need.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll check out Rugged. I really don't need the thing to do anything more than connect to wifi and use RDP, so I'm hoping to find a decent solution. Right now we have a full on desktop computer with a touch screen but it's totally unnecessary and the screen is starting to crap out. The whole work station is built around this stupid screen so I'd like to just scrap the whole computer & monitor setup in favor of an appropriate tablet. I think it'd improve quality of life for my employees and also be more efficient if I can actually find something that works.

Screwed around with the IPad Air today and it just doesn't want to stay connected to wifi for some reason. It was fine running a custom app 24/7 in a different area of our store for the last 4 years but now that I just want it to do RDP it's decided it can't keep a wifi connection for longer than 5min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Anyone have any air purifiers they would highly recommend, especially with pet involvement? I'm alright spending a little if they're worth it, but my "gimmicky" alarm bells get triggered pretty easily so I'm never sure if I'm being fair in that regard.